I'm Sick of the whole your name is too hard to type crap.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Rellanor
Sojourner

I\'m Sick of the whole your name is too hard to type crap.

Postby Rellanor » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:31 am

Why is it that people use this excuse. I'm an enchanter I often have to keep several hitters/tanks stoned blured and hasted sometimes globed aswell. some of you have names that aren't easy to type fast, but do I let that keep me from stoning you when you are tanking padashaw? No I don't. I plan ahead I make an aliase or a macro or a button. Is this a hard thing to do? I think it isn't. With all the ways to avoid the problem why is it that so many people fail to preform there tasks becouse a name is hard to type? If anyone can come up with a good reason why someone should be able to use this excuse I'd love to hear it. And just to shoot down one before hand if you say you are on a telnet link and can't use any of those neat features I'm going to tell you that you eather need to be able to free type well enough to do your job or don't take the job in the first place.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:37 am

I'd have to agree, and his name isn't even that hard to type! Compared to a lot out there it's easy Image

------------------
Cordan Se'Draka - Paladin of Helm - Mortal Eye of the Vigilant One -
Rellanor
Sojourner

Postby Rellanor » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:55 am

my name is Boboloppe for those that don't know that. enjoy post all your Ideas please the more the merrier.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:34 am

Rule #7
I don't vit people with over 6 letters in their name. Enjoy.

(Some of you think I'm kidding)

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:43 am

in circle muds i think they have a shortcut type of thingie. like cas 'stone' dart could be used on players like darta/dartan/dart/dartfan or something. can we have that too? Image

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:21 am

Try talking to gods name 'Diinkarazan' and 'Kiaransalee'. Image

The only names that *I* think are truly difficult to type are Illithids. *shudder*

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:50 am

Hrmmm....if you can't use tab complete get a new job..... Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:18 am

I was shocked at the number of people who thought Ilisinth was impossible to type.

On Duris I created a thief I meant to same-side player steal with when I was bored and sick of the bullcrap. I tried to think of the most difficult name to type, and came up with something like Xzzizixxililixiaixzf, but that was denied. Eventually I came up with a winner:

Efirisct

Short, sweet, to the point. Full of letters that look similar, repeated vowels, an E followed by two Is that sound like short E, and a nice consonant cluster at the end with a silent c. Doesn't look quite the way it sounds either. Very few people spoke to me, and the ones that did usually commented on what a bitch it was to try to bash me without tab completion Image

Off the topic, but stories are fun.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
gruldo
Sojourner

Postby gruldo » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:29 am

feh.. try grouping with squids and duergars..
get to type great names like mrizzalazzrazzi xserreelex, axxsinlazzam, azzzmohazzz, zonariknik, dizukruzun and crud like that. and the snake names are all a pain in the ass too with how similar they are. am a rescuing ssissiv or ssissu or ssim.. bah i say.. BAH!

------------------
Grul-Diggity!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:32 am

#tabadd is a wonderful thing

sinusosaxiy!

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:29 pm

Seriously, if you won't take care of your group then why go with it? I've wondered about this for some time now... when a particular person is a real slacker and refuses to do their part in the group why do people continue to take them along? I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Salen, but if I needed a healer who would help take care of my group in a tight situation and my enchanter or invoker had a long name, why would I want somebody who wouldn't do what they were brought along to do?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Seriously, if you won't take care of your group then why go with it? I've wondered about this for some time now... when a particular person is a real slacker and refuses to do their part in the group why do people continue to take them along? I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Salen, but if I needed a healer who would help take care of my group in a tight situation and my enchanter or invoker had a long name, why would I want somebody who wouldn't do what they were brought along to do?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% agree (i still wonder why people take me!!) ever notice how close *l* and *k* are on keyboard?? planetar loaded and i wanted to look at him ... my kill alias is just k (not to be confused with kiss) err k planetar not l planetar ....

Salen I sure hope you are kidding!!! cause apparently you only group with barbs! (grin if yer kidding, scold if you aren't)

I once grouped with a chanter (can't remember who it was) who refused to stone on shielded mobs (cause stone falls so fast) .. now that i play a chanter i see how lazy that was!!!! (at lvl 46 my stone is 5 sec to mem with 110 int (hell i think dscale is only 8 or 9 sec) and is NO prob at all to stone my tank) (i say ONLY cause my shaman's group heal is 14 sec with 120 wis)

tab complete is SO damn easy to use ... any name is 3 or 4 letters long to me (laz-tab, xser-tab)... or hell use #sub if tabs are too hard (yes i confuse ssissiv and ssissu too so i just dont tab those names, i type them out always)

variables also work .. so you only have to type their name once .. telinas keyset includes: variables: tank=joe 2tank=jimbob rog=stabby 2rog=dajenken Macros: F2 scale @tank F3 haste @tank F4 blur @tank ... F5-F7 are for 2tank F9 haste @rog F10 haste 2rog .. can add clerics as needed .. vokers .. the possibilities are endless (ambar has her own set using the same keys)

man dont you hate when i put in my two coppers Image

I just can't stand lazier people than me :P

-Jen
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:00 pm

When I used telnet, I used tintin. Image It helped a lot, there's probably some other good options, but I do understand that not every isp lets you access shell.

Right now, I use one of zmud's abilities to just click on the screen to vit @firstvit, @secondvit and @thirdvit. I have it set up to heal whoever I've clicked on (in times when I can't seem to type a damned thing). I think I can stone someone that way too.

I understand about having a hard time casting on some people. Every now and then I just can't remember names and end up having to 'grou' to figure out how to spell someone's name. And yes, some names are awful - don't know why I have such a hard time with Daalgar, think it's the double a, but without tab complete I'd be more stuck than I am now.

There's often a way to get around things - if Salen is honest about not casting on anyone with a name longer than 6 letters, give him everyone with shorter names. And if it's not acceptable, there's nothing wrong with not moving up into the higher ranks. I'm not going to be there, and that's fine - I do well where I am. A dear friend was slow as a cleric, so our group of friends learned what we could handle with her as our cleric because she was our friend.

Thanks for giving us a place to bring suggestions to make it easier for people who have difficulties playing their characters to their potential - or even seeing what their particular potential is...
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:36 pm

Haha. You actually think I type spells? I just gr and use a rightclick pulldown menu. Typing takes waaaaay too much effort. I just don't like having to think about how to pronounce the huge names (again, too much effort).

As for Rule #7, you should pay closer attention to Vit lists when I am asked to make them in zones. There is a reason I vit Mogr, Touk, Gormal, Celara, Sylvos a ton, but rarely vit Trelad, Weylar, Jalaho, Nebomo.

Oh and to pay homage to the idea of Cleric Rules here is a reminder of how it should go...

Sok's Originals
rule #1: if u doing xp, get a 2nd cleric to join the group, so u can afk and your tank will still live. best xp for me is between 2-6 am, when i'm asleep.

rule #2: if tank ask for spells (armor, vit, etc) tell them there are potions available.

rule #3: if u zoning, make sure u bring 2 other clerics, that why they can keep group alive and u can afk to shower/eat/nap/watch t.v. etc. when group done w/ zone u can come back to bid on eq if u are bidding.

rule #4: if u zoning and have to cast heals and you are getting overrun by lots of mobs, full heal self 1st that way you live and hopefully mobs can kill off some of your group members, thus leaving more xp for you. an added bonus if they kill off those dang warrior types u can keep up w/ them in lvls. (that's what they get for lvling so fast.)

rule #5: if tank ask why u didn't heal them, tell them that u were only had 1* left to go but they died b4 u had the chance

rule #6: if u can recall dont be afraid to use it, but alway say whoop! i accidentally hit the recall macro.

from
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000357.html

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:23 pm

who's complaining about name lenghts?

i'm an enchanter too (er..duh?) and i dont have any fancy trigger sets for spellups. so i have to spell folks names out every time i cast, and i have carpel tunnel syndrome.

i complain about the amount of typing, sure, but not that the names are too hard to type.

this especially cant be true on the goodie side. remember alethindel (hah, spelled that one right). phoniks is gud. sound it out in your head a few times and you can spell it right the first time every time.

if it's a warrior bitchin tell him to look up rescue triggers under mud client help.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:18 pm

Tab Complete

'nuff said Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:08 pm

after a while, typing dracxeraxal became like second nature.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:41 pm

I knew there was a reason Salen always heals people after I'm already done casting :P

Glorishan

------------------
Gormal group-says 'damn im worthless'
Rellanor
Sojourner

Postby Rellanor » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:12 pm

I don't know if you are all serious or not about those rules but anyone who follows those rules should get to zone period. the only 3 rules that I feel are acceptable in a zone are as such

rule 1 Follow the leaders instruction.

rule 2 Do your job.

rule 3 Do Not do anything foolish that will endanger the group.

I think pretty much all situations that might happen in a zone will be covered by these 3 rules.

You can joke all you want but following rules like salen posted is nothing if not lazy and selfish.

when I played a cleric I followed 3 specific rules aswell as the 3 I posted above.

they where as such

Rule 1 Heal the tank

Rule 2 Vit my targets

Rule 3 Keep the whole group alive.

rule 3 was hard and alot of times I failed but when a groupmember died it was never becouse his name was too long and therefor violated rule 9-1-a of my list of zoneing rules that stated all names above 6 characters are to be ignored and not healed or vitted since 6 letters is too many to type in a zone.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:57 pm

Your 9-1-a is different than mine

Rule #9 is

Always keep at least 3 word of Recall mem'd incase you forget to repray after using a couple

Subsection 1

Always ask whether zone is wordable, incase you need to use it later.

Corrolary A
Acceptable reasons for wording include total spank, looked like total spank, lost in zone, someone at the door, boredom, need to get pizza, need to go get something to drink.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:54 am

If you can't type: "Boboloppe" you don't belong on sojourn, or any mud.

------------------
Leah A. W.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:05 am

I can even type "Nininigoble."
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:37 am

Bobolope
Boboboloppe
Bob
Bboobboobbllooppppee
!30!30!_0q3
eppolpobob
Boboloppe

whew Thought I was gonna have to quit there for a sec

------------------
emote Rescuepractice

[This message has been edited by Salen (edited 09-07-2002).]
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muma:
<B>If you can't type: "Boboloppe" you don't belong on sojourn, or any mud.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Typing? what is that?

Hell I even tab complete muma 1/2 the time... Don't ask.

It has gotten to be such a bad habit that I even tab'd Kaz once... yet again, don't ask.

------------------
Iaiken Toransier,
Morithiel group sez "Iaiken, you gotta be jonny on the spot with the rescues."
You sez "Roger that."
Morithiel has left the group.
Morithiel tells you "Where were ya on that one?"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:26 pm

<B> 100% agree (i still wonder why people take me!!) ever notice how close *l* and *k* are on keyboard?? planetar loaded and i wanted to look at him ... my kill alias is just k (not to be confused with kiss) err k planetar not l planetar ....
</B>

k defaults to "kiss" not "kill"....

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:33 pm

She said her "alias."
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:33 am

I use a basic telnet client. Next to the telnet window I have a text editor window open. In the text editor window I have various notes, and commands, such as:
ass calan
cast 'force'
cast 'fell'
cast 'big'
cast 'minute'

Then I just copy it (the whole thing), and paste it each time I need to assist or cast. When the first spell is out it automatically goes to the next. Crude but effective. This works for me since I'm an invoker.

I think in-game aliases would be a wonderful idea. Not everyone can use a client. I can't because my computer will not run them, and my local ISPs no longer offer shell.

- Mike

[This message has been edited by Yarash (edited 09-17-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:38 am

How does your pc not run mud clients?

You say that a shell account would solve your problem, but to use these effectively you need a good telnet client (i.e. ansi support, backscroll etc). Can you run a good telnet client? If so, why not a mud client? They're basically the same.

Heck even if you use with a good telnet client, you probably already have alias support.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:09 am

Not everyone uses a PC. OS X can run linux software (tinyfugue, etc), but only the most recent macs can run that OS.

So an in-game alias system would greatly benefit people like me, but others would benefit as well. I've found that many people play while on the road, a friend's house or in computer labs. For a variety of reasons, they cannot install a mud client on those computers.

- Mike
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B> .....but only the most recent macs can run that OS.

- Mike</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which implies that you're running another, older, MacOS.

Which means you are in need of:

http://www.rapscallion.co.uk/

-------------------------
Left Out of Battle Order
[armaNaraen]
Sojourner

Postby [armaNaraen] » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:29 pm

RAPSCALLION RULES!!! for mac anyways..

as for names.. i dont think i met one of you who hasnt commented on my name being long. DUH! i know it is. my int isnt that low. daimn.. i dont even use tab complete, and sometimes i'll chat with someone non-group non-channel and type their name ten thousand times.. no matter how long. lazy bitchin bitches!!! learn how to use your wrists.

Armanaraen Faeyrthlasp'i -[oOo]- OberOnsOrder

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”