Justice

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Justice

Postby Gormal » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:47 pm

Allow players to attempt and unbind knots they did not tie with same lag associated with unbind self.

Allow us to cast in the judge room so we can pres corpses in case people get wanked while ld. Or autopres for a ton as a sign to the people.

fix code to allow drag of pcs past corpses with the same name. fix the cheesy track bug.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:46 am

Maybe try something Sylvos and I talked about - instead of a death penalty, just have time in jail. If it's level based, and maybe affected by the number of times one's already been wanted for crimes, repeat offenses will add up. It'll be a great inconvenience, but won't risk losing gear...
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:53 am

Yeah more jail time. Isn't that why people play this game.. so they can sit around in jail for hours at a time?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:10 am

The intent of justice is to prevent people from killing in towns.

It doesn't. It becomes a means for a pissing contest, dick measuring contest, macho chest thumping contest to see who can tie up whom, and drag them how far. If they get turned in and executed, then barring a res failure they lose 4%.

I would prefer to see justice removed. Honestly. Make the guards act like Rodney King case cops and just beat up folks who break the law. I'd be fine with that.

If justice remains, please note above paragraph where I say I don't want this, but if it remains then removing death penalty for jail time would, I think, be a more effective deterrent to slaying within town. After all Corth, nobody wants to log in to sit in one place without being able to do anything. If somebody wants to headbutt that annoying salesman within town limits, they can pay the price. C'mon, the damn guys follow you anywhere. I take em down to Undermountain and rough em up or feed em to the orcs there.

If the jail time were level based, newbies who run afoul of justice inadvertently wouldn't be too badly inconvenienced. 2 minutes per level? Something like that. I don't know about the precise numbers, but if you remove death penalty on justice you accomplish two things.

1) Newbies won't, after committing a couple of crimes without realizing it, will not be executed and leave because they feel it was unfair.

2) High level players will develop a real fear of Justice. What does somebody who gets 10% exp zoning in Muspelheim or Jot care if they killed due to justice? But you can bet your ass they'll care if they have to sit for 100 minutes because they were annoyed with the peasant's whimpering.

These are my thoughts, developed with my wife Fura, on the state of Justice. Ideally it gets pulled, but if it remains then execution gets replaced with boredom. And THAT, is a much better deterrent than a bit of exp for high level characters. And doesn't seem as harsh to lower level characters who spend all their time doing exp, only to lose some of it because they didn't realize X mob would call for help.

Sylvos Winteraven
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:39 am

Do away with the whole system. Nothing is worse than only having a couple of hours to play and having that time eaten up by a jail sentence.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:47 pm

come on guys, keep posting!

it worked for hide!

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:38 am

I want to know why tying someone up and not turning them in (leaving them sit)isn't considered abuse against other players. The admin KNOWS it goes on, yet does nothing about it.

Lately it seems 3-4 people are going out of their way to be asses about it, including invis'ing to avoid being known.

I would like to know why nothing has been said or done about it. I think it is pretty clear that it has nothing to do with Justice and everything to do with being annoying asses. I could have sworn this would fall into the category of abuse.

Perhaps I'm just more irritable than normal, but it seems to me that a select few have taken it upon themselves with both this and the gatekey thing to be a PAIN IN THE ASS to other players and I would hope the admin would intervene on the players' behalf and put an end to it. Somewhere along the way, it was deemed imparative that Justice be enforced, and since it would be too much of an Ego Crush for any Gods to admit that it does nothing but annoy the players as a whole, could we at least have it made so players can't be abused by others as they have been over the last few days?

Also, since the morgue nor 3w have been made !mob, I assume that it is part of the great plan to have mobs loot eq off the ground with no recourse against them other than stealing item back or killing them for it(both crimes).

I'm gonna stop there because I'm too close to the real rant I wanna go with and it's prolly better for me to just drop it.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:15 am

I admit my abuse of the justice system. On several occasions instead of dragging my bound victims to the judge, I equipped a flogging crop and gave them 10 spankings for their naughtiness!

------------------
-Yayaril
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:34 am

There's a saying..
Dont do the crime unless you have the time.
Or was it:
Take the time to do the crime.
Hrm, maybe:
A stitch in crime saves time.
*shrug*

Well, there does seem to be some abuse of this code, by fools who go out of thier way just to drag whoever they want to the judge, without any thoughts on fun, RP, or respecting other players' true wishes to play the game and possible irl commitments.

There should be some way to realistically take revenge on those who do this to you.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-

---
Ashiwi says, 'Wrap a wire around a god's neck and hang on for the ride??? Gimme my spurs!'
---
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:43 am

I think the level of the guard should be relative to the intended wrongdoer. If/should someone assist said bad guy/gal, then more guards deployed at RDF level. Who gives a crap, imho, about killing in town, killing in the woods, kingdoms, etc are ok, but just not in hometowns? I don't see the problem with having justice removed. It's a bit redundant to see BOTH trophy and justice. IF justice is there to try to nudge one to explore, then the point of trophy is just a mirror image/pointless. After awhile of sitting in town killing over and freaking over, the guy, you'd hope would be bored or see he's not gaining anymore from this multi killing of same mob. Justice's main annoyance is that OH here come the RDF..you're tied up w/o trouble. That's BS! You don't see it on COPS. Here comes the cops..rat tat tata tat tat...a cop laying on his ass (bad in reality but it's here to help point out my case) but the bad guy gets away. Just cuz an RDF bastard walks in doesn't slap/slam you in soap on a rope territory automatically. Just not realistic. Cops have to beat the hell outta resistant criminals to subdue them, not just "oh how convenient! He's tied up now!" action.

Yech, thinking about resisting cops in rl sucks but I hope I made a point... P.S. be nice to cops Image

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”