Money Code vs. Gems (Yoo Hoo Shevy lookie!)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Myre
Sojourner

Money Code vs. Gems (Yoo Hoo Shevy lookie!)

Postby Myre » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:02 pm

The current incarnation of our monetary system is CRYING out for a change.

Currently we have:

Copper: More of a joke to see how much you can mass! However, significant for those years I spent in split shield to buy little items.

Silver: A slight upgrade from copper. Still useful to characters less than 20 or so. More of a joke to "Epic Characters" (Players with Multiple characters over 40 for purpose of this post) and to guild funds.

Gold: Potion funds. Any questions?

Platinum: The bread and butter of all characters from newbie to epic as well as guilds. The barter system for major purchases and guild fees.

Suggestion:

I can't see ANY character magical or not wanting to carry around the equivelent of 5000+ quarters. Hell, a box of $100 in quarters isn't exactly heavy but it's annoying to tote around. That's only 4000 coins pressed and minted and from my best guess significantly thinner (lighter) than medevil coins.

Please consider putting in a 'gem' system.

for example:

Turquoise - wt 1 worth 500 plat EVERYWHERE

Ruby - wt 1 worth 1000 plat EVERYWHERE

Diamond - wt 1 worth 10000 plat EVERYWHERE

The key being you can sell these to shop keepers everywhere for the same vaule. This should cut down on someone buying from 1 merchant and selling to another for some twink +20 plat. Keeps the trigger abusers frm logging back in 4 hours later and having a billion plat in the bank.

This would allow Epic level characters and guilds to make large purchases without having to use an army to carry coins.

Furthermore...is anyone else slightly frustrated when you kill an ancient dragon and it has a WHOPPING 17 plat! whoo hooo! By implementing gems... perhaps the larger more powerful mobs could load with 1-2 gems and make some coin bounty from zones. Not to mention give rogues something WORTH sticking their neck on the line to boost out of someones pocket

Perhaps turn the bankers into shop keepers that buy/sell these rare wonders. That way people couldn't rob the shop or whatever and from a role play situation... it's logical if ANYONE had the money on hand to pawn a diamond .. a bank would.

Please give it a thought....

Thanks!
Zajan/Myre
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:18 pm

great idea.

however, if you give gems to mobs you have the possibility to make create huge inflation in the short term. there are gems that are worth lots of money, but making gems as common as dragons might be a bad idea.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:47 pm

We measure time on the ship by how many hundreds of plat we get from it. You get like 100p per hour of hardcore high level experience. Letting one mob drop 1000p would absolutely wreck the last remnants of the economy left Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:54 pm

there is a HUGE difference between giving a 1000 plat gem to an 'exp mob' i.e. ship trash....and giving one to loki in jot.

i'm not implying that every silly little bevis chompin mob gets gems. More like the 'boss' of the zone.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>We measure time on the ship by how many hundreds of plat we get from it. You get like 100p per hour of hardcore high level experience. Letting one mob drop 1000p would absolutely wreck the last remnants of the economy left Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm, no. 2 hours on ship = 600+ plat with a 4 man group.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:54 pm

I like this simply because I hate carrying 10k plat to a zone when you need it in there. I would like an exchange of some sort that worked like this. Remove the stupid % fee to change copper to plat or at least SERIOUSLY reduce it and put a small fee on the gem making.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:46 pm

5-10% fee to exchange plat for a gem.
Don't put these gems on mobs, unless its only something like 100p, or 500p for a really really hard big mob.

Its a pretty good idea, tweak it some and I think its usable.
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:54 pm

I guess what's disturbing is that everyone is sooooo worried about putting a 1k plat gem on a mob in a zone...

don't know about you...but every time i've split 1k plat between a 10-15 person group the stock market wasn't exactly affected.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:27 am

meet in the middle:

1) *Jewelry* shops buy gems at 85-90% listed value and sell them at 100% listed value. There is at least one of these in the major meeting hometowns.

2) Mobs that would intuitively carry a great deal of cash are now programmed to carry a variety of gems.

3) Banks will store gems of various types the same way that they will store coins.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:28 am

Hmmmmm, based on your descriptions of the different coin types Myre I'm guessing you don't play a rogue Image

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:41 am

This is a good idea. Its sort of like if the US mint said, well, what's the point? we have pennies, quarters, nickels and dimes, and now the dollar. what more do we need?

its like saying, who would ever need more than 640k of memory? (heh)

I think having this kind of currency would benefit the mud, and I also think that the bank's exchange rates are very high, i think the exchange rates should be dropped, and the existing rates could be applied to the gem idea at maybe 1/4 of the current rate.

Pay 1100 p for a gem worth 1000 p....at most i'd say.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:33 am

Excellent idea.

However, I think we don't need to have area mobs load with gems as it'd just increase the twink factor. Zone mobs can have their own unique gems that you can sell at the jewelers or shops. Just make it so that certain gems is a form of currency for those with a million billion plats in the bank to exchange for them.

It's easier carrying say 8 diamonds worth 8 k plats when buying a tinker bag then relocating 1n of merchant, then trying to walk 1s without max_str eq.

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:40 pm

i really think buying a gem and selling a gem should net a max of 5% difference... thats 50 p loss per 1000p gem.

And the cost should be front loaded meaning a gem that sells for 1000 p should cost 1050p to buy (which isn't 5% exactly btw).

also, gem smith should not accept coins of a lesser denomination, only plat. otherwise you just lowered exchange rate to 5% across the board. lot of people would probably like that, but thats a whole different discussion.

and it would be nice if you could spend gems as equivalent to currency, but only if its in your inventory (dont wanna accidently spend a 1k gem to buy a 2 g ration).

------------------
------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:54 pm

i could see having small gems drop off a mob, but i can't see any mob dropping a 1k gem... maybe a 250 p gem here and there on level 60 mobs, but i dont think i want to see it being applied universally to the mob

but you could probably write a zone and include an item worth 1k plat as one of the rewards. there is a zone that has about 500 p worth of treasure =)

------------------
------
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:09 pm

Great Idea. How bout the level of the mob or whatever decide the size of the gem (wt.) or ...hmm -I think even better would be replacing or having both gem/plat on larger mobs. Green gem worth 10 p, red 25 p, blue 50, yellow 75, etc...the 100/1000, etc is kinda tooo large increment. I don't know too many people (yet) but seems 5k in plat is huge!

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:47 am

I don' tthink any mob should be worth 10k. Maybe put it in at the end of a quest or something. However, what mob is worth killing for 500 plat? All I can think of is MH beholders. If i got 500 plat for every MH beholder I killed i would LIVE there. Otherwise yea a good idea imho.

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:38 am

how about converting in the bank, ...

I dont have that much platinum on me, i have invested it into rebuilding this broke down vault, how about i give you this gem, it is highly valuable, and equals the sum you wish to withdrawl.

and weighs less, and mobs would accept it << theres the problem ..00..

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Ah the never ending good / evil debate has provided endless amusement for us all has it not? Both sides have a different mentality, evils appear to me as a closer nit group of people who expect a higher standard of play out of each other. Goodies are a broader group of people that cross group frequently and to me appear more easy going.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:40 am

but making gems as common as dragons might be a bad idea.

Ok anyone else find this statement a bit dumb? i all actuallity, gems should be MORE common than dragons. Or am I just insane on this point?

Was Kallinar here?
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:10 am

I think you're insane at this point... what he was trying to say is that every zone and its mom have dragons in it these days. If you make gems as common as dragons, you flood the game with money.

Cherzra, Eureka

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 09-24-2002).]
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:32 am

game is already flooded with money. You make 400-1k plat on a zone, 400p an hour on the ship, god only knows what those silly rogues run around stealing.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:35 pm

If you find out, please let me know! I want to know what I'm missing out on!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
game is already flooded with money. You make 400-1k plat on a zone, 400p an hour on the ship, god only knows what those silly rogues run around stealing.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>making gems as common as dragons might be a bad idea.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, but does anyone else find that disturbing?

------------------
Amemna tells you 'SEX!! :)'
Malnok
Sojourner

Postby Malnok » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:00 pm

ok in a way that could work but you also have to take into consideration the lower lvl characters not newbies but lvl 30 and higher get into groups and some times go on a cash run when the quest are done how are the big 10 and 12 man groups supposed to split one gem you gonna roll for it flip a coin go to the arena and battle for 1 gem i think not.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malnok:
ok in a way that could work. but you also have to take into consideration the lower lvl characters. not newbies, but lvl 30 and higher. They get into groups and some times go on a cash run. How are the big 10 and 12 man groups supposed to split one gem you gonna roll for it flip a coin? go to the arena and battle for 1 gem? i think not.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Punctuation is heavenly.

He has a very good point, though.

Edit: added punc. to quote.

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 09-24-2002).]
sarjek
Sojourner

Postby sarjek » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:41 pm

a little off the topic but, speaking of letting mobs hold other things besides coins...

I think with the addition of gems, treasure chests, coffers and such should be randomely popped on apropriate mobs. (holding money gems and random useless or not useless objects) Thereby giving rogues something else to disarm and lockpick.

of course the boxes could have varying traps and difficulties but this could open up a lot of other things like spells that disarm and pop boxes or enhances the rogue attempting to do this.

-s
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:26 pm

I'd have to venture to say some of us have played role playing before the computer genre of MUDs.

A lot of people in this string are upset because this idea will "Flood" the MUD with money.

I stand back and reverse the question...

Is the problem that there is too much money in the mud...or is the real problem that coins serve very little purpose on the MUD. Therefore, people have too many because they don't ever spend them on anything...

The reverse proposal would be...
Instead of making all the mobs in the game on government assistance and welfare....put items in the game that are worth buying from shops that understandibly would have a higher cost...

i.e. most of us eat jerky or whatever on the evil side.. 4 silver or so each.. so you want to spend money? Put in an item that's like 2 plat but feeds you for a game week or something along those lines...

or on a grand scale....anyone remember the 'ships' guilds could buy once upon a time...

we've all been wanting guildhalls...
okay another solution (when these go in) people are worried about a 10k gem...well put in something incredible for guildhalls that's just role play related but hella expensive..

point is...just because there's nothing to spend the coins on right now...and just because there are fools out there with hundreds of thousands of plat....doesn't mean that dragons should carry 17 plat..
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:35 pm

Hm, how bout we make those gems worthless at shops but worth something to guilds? I.e. not only do you need 100k for your golem, you also need x number of gems?

------------------
< > Shevarash responds to your petition with 'well, that was much better than yesterday! Spank power increasing!'
Malnok
Sojourner

Postby Malnok » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is the problem that there is too much money in the mud...or is the real problem that coins serve very little purpose on the MUD. Therefore, people have too many because they don't ever spend them on anything...</font>

that is a point and to add to that, it isnt that they dont buy anything it is that they go after a reboot go get stuff before others can that they dont need then they sell it at a high price to someone that needed it and couldnt get a group together. That is how the money adds up then they sit back and do nothing with it what is the point of going and getting something they already have or dont even need just to sell it for money they already have enough of and not let anyone else build money to buy the good stuff ex. bottomless bag of tinkers. the lower people cant raise money if the bigger people take all the stuff they could get and sell it to them for the little money they gained and then sit on the money.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:08 pm

I guess the main point here is that it is a pain to have to get out 10k to pay ofr something. Whats realy needed is a denomination larger then a plat. Doesn't realy matter whats its called so long as it is worth 10p and is implemented as another 'coin' so that shopkeepers and mobs will take it as payment.

Just as good would be to divide all the money in the game by 10. This pretty much acomplishes the same thing and you cant buy much for less the 1s anyway.

------------------
Malnok
Sojourner

Postby Malnok » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:27 pm

ok this would solve the problem of having to get all that money out and carry it to where you are going to buy something, why not when money is deposited in the bank then when you want large denominations the banker should sell something like a gem in 10p 100p and 1000p so it is light to carry where you are buying something and if you buy from another player you can sell the gem, or whatever, to the bank for what it is worth.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:02 am

i dont know if there is a problem with money. probably is since nothing to spend money on except potions and skills and disguise kits/poison for rogues.

the problem with your suggestion is that when 100p 500p 1k plat gems become as common as dragons you have effectively devalued platinum... and wiped out all existing bank accounts. i dont care i have like 3k plat to my name.

devaluing your currency rarely doesn't screw someone. and usually it supercedes radical changes to the economy. If there is a problem with the player plat economy, i think it is in that there is nearly nothing to spend money on at level 50 and that when you spend money what you purchased rarely devalues (no money is lost). to add more money to the game in larger increments sounds silly.

most of us are responding positively to the suggestion of a larger denomination (gems) and negatively to the suggestion of adding to the rate at which money enters the game (gems on mobs).

------------------
------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:05 pm

Actually, I think the need to carry 10k of coins, is a plat sink in itself. It necessitates buying another weightless bag just for coins.

------------------
< > Shevarash responds to your petition with 'well, that was much better than yesterday! Spank power increasing!'
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:51 pm

Boo ... despite the title Shevy didn't lookie.

SNEEEF!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”