anon

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

anon

Postby cherzra » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:01 pm

I think it would be much better if you could see anonymous players on the who list, albeit with their level and class (and perhaps race) hidden.

So a normal who cherzra would show

[50 Warrior ] Cherzra -Hero- Crimson Coalition (Troll)

while if I were anon, it would show

[ anonymous ] Cherzra -Hero- Crimson Coalition (Troll)

Anon sucks... makes it look like there are less people on, is only used to avoid having to group with newbies, powerleveling alts, and being antisocial. This way at least people would be visible still.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:46 pm

agree
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:49 pm

ditto

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:14 pm

yes lets force people to be social! that'll make them all the nicer! I like to wear a t-shirt irl with my name phone # and credit card information for this same reason.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>yes lets force people to be social! that'll make them all the nicer! I like to wear a t-shirt irl with my name phone # and credit card information for this same reason.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright compromise then. Don't list them, but include a line at the end or top of the who list.

Total visible players: 17.
Total anon players: 10.
Record number of players on this boot: 120.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cap'n Touk:
Nah, anon is there for when you're sick and tired of people sending you tells</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So toggle your tells off, but let everyone know that you're still on.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:54 pm

Leave anon in the game. Having been on muds where anon was visible, it's lame not having it. Sometimes you just don't want to deal with the general populous of the mud, and that's fine.

Anon has it's uses, but at least people who know you can still ask you for help. Togging tells is only for when you're pissed at the world and don't want to talk to anyone.

-Lorgan

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:04 am

Good lord I wish I could go anon in guild...

I used to be anon a fair bit, mostly so I didn't accidently ignore peoples tells for a moonwell, and secondly so I just got less tells for a moonwell! :P

Actually, I would love a "!well" and a "!well unless you ARE going to lose all your gear cos of it" flag *skip* ...maybe even a "!well if you know the way to BG anyhow, and if not you should" flag too...hehe

But honestly, nothing wrong with being anon, but perhaps we could have a semi-state (like cherz' example) for those who want to anon for RP purpose, of course then you just going to get a tell, "What level are you?"

Togging tell isn't something you always want to do, tells from people you know can be nicer than LOTS of tells from people you don't know askin bout quests/info/dirs/etc.

Oh and togging tell isn't just for when your in a bad mood, it can be for when you are a cleric in a decidely fiesty mood! What you do is send tells to mages/shamans/rangers/etc then tog your tell RQ! That way they suffer the pain of being sent tells from invis haha! :P

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:21 am

You know the only reason you play is to taxi me around, Sarell, so be quiet and moonwell me to the bank from fountain!

------------------
-Yayaril
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:08 am

As I'm sure you remember, anon used to work just as you describe, Cherzra. For about a year, I had to tog tells off half the time I led a group just to keep from going insane. People who _really_ needed to talk to me knew to consent me and I'd temporarily tog tell on to take care of business. It was maddening, and often it chased me off-line. I admit I can't contribute much to how this feature currently affects the game, but hopefully I can give you some insight into one of the reasons anon was changed to the way that it is now.

Mp

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:51 am

The only reason I anon my mage is to avoid having to tell people no the group leader won't group you cause we doing 2 man ship (jen hates to tell people no to xp groups, cause 9 outta 10 the person gets mad .. and it's not generally my fault) or when I'm hiding out as another alt ..

I only tog tells when im pissed as hell .. and only done that once or twice (err at the same person :P and he knows who he is) or if i am in an uber busy zone and dont wanna miss zone action for a tell

The only thing I ask of people is that if a player has tells togged don't spam him/her with mudmails .. annoying as hell .... obviously if they have tells togged it's that way for a reason

Once I had tells toggled ... and someone was spamming me with mudmails . i assumed it was important so checked one ... to find a hey how ya doin .. over and over .. hey yer tells are toggled and i wanted to say hi ... grrrr

Anon bugs the crap outta me but i can see it's uses (people do stay anon tho, instead of toggling on and off as needed; and that goes with my why do you play that class if you don't wanna be bugged issue)

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:18 am

Anon sucks, and only twinks use it.

I don't answer tells from people who are anon, and I don't help them.

They've decided to hide from me asking them to help me, so why should I help them.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:48 pm

Is this really an issue on Sojourn? There are so many players here, there is always someone to group with...

For anyone who isn't aware, Sojourn is HUGE! Most muds have about ten people playing at any given time. It is for that reason that I came here, and I stayed because of the quality of the game.

- Mike
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B>Is this really an issue on Sojourn? There are so many players here, there is always someone to group with...

For anyone who isn't aware, Sojourn is HUGE! Most muds have about ten people playing at any given time. It is for that reason that I came here, and I stayed because of the quality of the game.

- Mike</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you serious?

sojourn's pbase is as drab as it has been in all the years i have played. ugh, the only consolation of this small pbase, is that it takes 2 days to clean the mud, instead of 1.

sadly, we get a reboot 2-3 days Image

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:31 pm

agree jegzed

you get no help from me if your anon.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:08 pm

you can't have mud sex if your tell is toggled.

edit. not to say i do, but just making a point.

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 09-23-2002).]

edit II. our secret is safe with me Thanuk.

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 09-23-2002).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>agree jegzed

you get no help from me if your anon.

yet you freely ask anon people for help, or to do xyz.... ya makes sense

you cant say no, because i leveled ssosset up anon, because i was busy workin rl stuff and didnt have alot of time to group/zone blah ... so he stayed anon

yet people freely asked me to help them do:

get to xyz plane
get to xyz person
cr corpse in xyz zone
do xp in xyz
come zone with xyz
lead xyz
help me do xyz quest

even though i as anon, and didnt want to be bothered

some times *when i was anon and inviis* i would get tells to help cr blah blah.. if i say no i am an asshole, if i say yes *sometimes was true* it would take me atleast 30 minutes to get back to were i just was, yay i just lost an hour, being i had to get there 2x...

so then by your own logic, anon, people w/toged tells should not help you either

people tog tells when they are pissed
people tog anon when they dont want to/dont have time/busy rl/ WANT TO SAVE THE TROUBLE OF TELLING PEOPLE NO

if they tell people know they are now a prick, being rude whatever, if they anon they bypass alot of that, this is helpful when they dont have time!

and some of you saying anon sucks, lvled anon, or an alt anon at one point or another, before anon "caught on" dont lie i was there

oy ya and ssosset became un-anon on and off between 41-46, and mostly off @ 47

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Ah the never ending good / evil debate has provided endless amusement for us all has it not? Both sides have a different mentality, evils appear to me as a closer nit group of people who expect a higher standard of play out of each other. Goodies are a broader group of people that cross group frequently and to me appear more easy going.

[This message has been edited by Zoldren (edited 09-23-2002).]
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:18 am

Kill anon.

If you do not feel like answering a hundred thousand resu/well/shift requests, either tog tell or ignore them.

Set up an autoreply: I'm sorry, I'm in the middle of an Avernus spank and can't help you.

If you are really 1337 you can even make it autofilter for those people you do want to hear from and gag the rest.

::shrugs:: Toggling anon is lame. There are better ways to accomplish shutting out the world.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:01 am

how about making 3 different types of anons.

1) you're not on the general who list but when someone who's you they can see your level/class

2) you're on the general who list but your class/level is hidden.

3) you're not on the general who list and your class/level is hidden.

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:26 am

mudsex? You sed we were making mudlove Image

Edit
I mean uhm, i dont know what Sok is talking about <wink>

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

[This message has been edited by thanuk (edited 09-24-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>Good lord I wish I could go anon in guild...

Agree. As it is I'm going to play something else...

------------------
Amemna tells you 'SEX!! :)'
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:27 am

OOhhh allow anon assoc members... turn this post around! pro-anon! Any melee class who doesn't have a 46+ caster they play as main should not be allowed to post Image

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:30 pm

How about an anon feature that is visible within a certain range level. +/- 5 levels?
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:46 pm

I don't mind anon people.

What I do mind is anon people in my group. I would advocate that wh ingr be made to show anon people's class and level.

I think I am going to make a new rule:

If you are anon in a group when I am making the list you do not get a vit. Either that or you make the vit list.

Depok
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:31 am

i agree with cherzra on this, i believe this was brought up some time ago as well
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:27 pm

I don't think Anon needs to change - although the modification to the 'who' command to show the total number of anonymous people online might work.

In short, if you don't like Anon - don't use it. If someone has it on, they have their reasons - even if you don't agree with them.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:11 pm

freedom to mud as we wish?! just goes to show good old american logic pwning a non-american thread. haha *bird*

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:33 am

Gormal wearing a red white and blue Speedo, shakes his bon-bon and sings the National Anthem here.

Toarn up.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:58 am

When I'm setting up globe lists, I ignore people who are anon. If they don't want me to know they are a hitter, then they don't need to get a globe. I like to see people detonate on fire and cold shields.

------------------
-Yayaril
Malnok
Sojourner

Postby Malnok » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:19 pm

ok you dont want to be known yet you run around anon with shadows following you or something else thats sticks out they dont want you to know who they are or be bothered so dont make it obvious what you are. Why is this?

------------------
Malnok Chicken Hunter
"Run with everybody, or walk with our crew. Stand on the moon face the world and say F**k YOU."
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:43 pm

Because you don't want every level 10 newbie on the mud asking you for moonwells even though they don't know you.

Not as big a deal for hitters, I never kept my anon on. But I understood when ressers, wellers, gaters, etc. went anon to avoid the inevitable flood of "I died in podville, can you come ress me?" tells.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”