noob questions!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
grimella
Sojourner

noob questions!

Postby grimella » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:18 pm

Ok, I am kind of a noob to this mud. I have watched it being played, heard about it for years and years but never really been interested in playing since it was more hack n slash than RP (the muds I played on really had very little "zoning"). I admit I have received a huge advantage in gear and outside knowleddge over a true noob.

Now that I played here a few days ptime, I am wondering about some things and how they all add up in the dynamics of the game:

1. I take it the Forgers promised "no more pwipes" at some time.

2. The core group of players that hold most the eq, zone and mud knowledge have maxed out at least one char and some have several.

3. Currently to keep players that interact with Soj interested some people have to be writing new zones frantically.

So am I right in assuming that to keep players that have essentially "beat" the game by becoming 50th, doing all the important zones, mastered skills and then repeated this again several times - Soj is dependent on writing new zones to keep them occupied?

I am very interested in the Lich remort and thought it was very inventive. Why hasnt this avenue been added to the dynamic of a no pwipe zone based mud? I understand the major undertaking that would be. The Lich quest sounds very complicated. But why arent Paladins remorted to Angelic heros and forced to gather another 2 billion xp to master that? Heck I'm not fluent enough in mud stuff to know how it works, but can already see that a mud this wonderful could use all the new dynamics added to it as possible to keep it vibrant and new to its players. I see remorts as having lots of negatives and many more positives.

Is this a horrible idea? It seems to me once you hit 50th yer done!

Grimella
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:44 pm

I might not be the best to answer this since I've NEVER gotten to 50 in 6 YEARS! It is my understanding that people who have maxed out their levels usually try out a different class/race combo, or try to gather the 'Perfect Set'. They set about mastering the game instead of just beating it.

I don't think they are rolling out new zones to keep players intrested, but rather just to better the mud. Many new zones have been in the works for years as I understand it.

No idea as to why remorts are limited to necros. But I fear change, so keep em out.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:04 pm

After 188 playing days, there are still 4 items I need to collect to complete my worn set, not counting a list of 27 areas or quests that might contain more, or the list of 13 items I would 'like' to have but aren't necessary. I doubt very much that anyone has every contingency item they would like. Striving for eq perfection is just one aspect.

Playing the game is fun. I like jot. I've done it over 120 times, easily. I like going there, checking the grid, smiting Thrym in a 1 minute run, etc. So, I play to have fun, too.

Shevarash: "There won't be any other 'remorts'." That's not an exact quote, but that's basically what he said, in about that much content. Liches are a unique aspect of the mud, and I'm sure we give quite a few headaches to the higher ups. For a bit of clarification: after I became a lich, it took me less than a week to regain the same level I had beforehand. The increase in power over a necromancer is well-balanced, the necro being weaker than many other classes to compensate for the later gain. Would have to downgrade all current classes to implement remorts. Would change the basics of the game.

Just some thoughts.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:48 pm

Having played to 50 a couple of times. I can tell you that around 41-46 you've just about maxed out the potential for the class.

It's not always a new zone that keeps me interested in the game. Largely it's the different character class/race combo that keeps me interested. Each combination plays somewhat different, each class can play drastically differently. For instance, there are some mobs that an orc shaman can handle solo that an ogre shaman cannot. That and the fact that I have a small group of friends that I like to chat with and fool around with on the mud often.

Started playing a necro now, and just looking foward to being able to become a Lich is enough to drive me to continue playing.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:49 pm

To answer your questions, Grimella:

Yes.

------------------
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Levvirrnaxxum OOC: 'i like backdoor lovin too!'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:54 pm

I have never hit 50. Nor will I ever, I think, unless I play a class with an xp bonus.

I die far too often.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:41 am

its quite easy

you identify the problem as people have beat the game (being level 50, tons of knowledge, tons of eq)

you think adding new remort quests is going to provide for
1. long term retention of players that are focused on "beating the game"

or

2. going to give even more power and ability to the top 10% of players who already break down any exploit any existing in game weakness...

think about it.... when lichs first went in they were ungodly. on EverQuest when they expanded the level cap from 50 to 60 they did a lot of damage to their game balance... Things that took 25 good level 50 players to do could be done with 4-5 level 60s. eq camp spots (eq repops over there) that used to keep a group of 5 happy were over run by people who could solo it. In one sense, their remort classess instantly created a huge zone shortage and perhaps numerous balance issues.

is that what you want to do here? who is it you would make happy and for how long with such a change? the 5% that beat the game or the 15% that are elite, the 40% that are avg, or the 30% that will quit before ever getting high enough to experience the real game (zoning)? id suggest that you will never keep the "im out to beat the game" players happy. they will always need to move on to the next game to beat. Provide a reasonably difficult (balanced) game with lots of options and variety of options and you will always have people. Break your game to cater to 5% of the pbase and you will suffer in the long term.

If you want to improve retention/replay value, you need to offer a plethora of options the more opposed the better.

things as simple as having good race and evil race adds a lot of replay value to the game. When you get bored of one side, there is still a whole different part of the world you don't know. Distinction between classes... theres 2-3 seperate schools of magic for those that like casting, there are 2-3 schools of melee classes for those that prefer melee. When your tired of zoning, there is questing and exploring, and alts.

There is alot of replay value for those that have an interest in replaying. The only obvious thing I see Soj as lacking is trade skills... which typically provides marginal benefit unless when there are thousands of players to support a trade skill economy.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”