Parry check with dual wielding

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Iktar
Sojourner

Parry check with dual wielding

Postby Iktar » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:11 am

If you dual weapons, does parry skill check per weapon?

meaing: if ure dual wielding and mob attacks u, u get two checks (one check per weapon) or one check of parry against per attack.

if not, since parry is using ure own weapon to block, shouldn't u get two chance to parry if ure dualing?

dat could be nice perk if mob is too big to be bashed and if ure the tank. dual so u can get additional chance to parry instead of chance of shieldblock. while dealing slighty more damage :P

and dat for rangers would mean lil better survival chance when they're target.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:31 am

This was discussed back when ranger changes were being made. If I remember it was not implemented since they didnt want rangers to be able to tank. As for warriors they realy have no reason to dual wield while tanking since shield block is more effective then parry.

------------------
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:53 am

I used to think along the same lines, extra weapon means better odds of parrying, but then I considered that even wielding two weapons, I would never, or at least seldom, attempt to parry the same blow with both. Assuming I could parry with one blade, anyway. Why bother? If I'm wielding two weapons, why would I give up the chance to hit my opponent with the other while parrying with the first? Yeah, you give up some defense, but the point of a fight is to hit the other guy.

I think a better way to look at it is either a slightly increased chance of parrying, to represent the better likelihood of having a weapon in position, or an increased riposte chance, since you could parry with one and hit with the other. Technically not a riposte, but same end result for here.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:53 pm

I think 2h > dual wielding. I think shield > dual wielding. As much as i would like to see some point in dual wielding, i dont think adding defensive ability is a good answer unless we turn parry rate down first.

dual wielding parry should be no where near as good as when tanking with a shield. I think warriors tank too well 2hding as it is. if with a shield and one weapon is 100%, with 1 weapon could be 40% and with 2 weapons be 60%.

id much rather see a successful parry while dual wielding result in the next hit being a crit or an extra attack or get some sort of bonus hit/dam. i don't think id want to see normal procs triggered off this in any event.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:42 pm

While using a second weapon does mean a greater chance of having a weapon in position to parry an attack (and realistically, if you learn/use a style that forgoes a shield you'd adapt your defense tactics accordingly), it's not something that would boost your defensive capabilities by that great a scale unless you make a conscious effort to parry more with one of the weapons. There's a big difference between offense oriented use of a second weapon (ie, Miyamoto's Mushashi's daisho technique) and one that focuses on defense with the ability to make an extra attack every now and then (Florentine or other swashbuckling styles).

It would be interesting to see an ability to shift between offense oriented and defense oriented two weapon styles (both exist in FR to some degree), but tank skills suck so much that I doubt anyone would care unless they study this kind of stuff for fun like I do.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 10-19-2002).]
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:43 am

so as a warrior there would be less reason to use a shield....

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:53 am

Maybe just give an improved riposte attack? You riposte, and strike with both blades.

Or even allow a riposte-parry when dual-wielding, so when a mob ripostes at you, the non-parried weapon has an opportunity to parry?

Regards,
Jorus
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:45 pm

It should be far easier to parry with one hand and strike with the other, thus giving an improved riposte %. Technically that's not a riposte, but IMHO it's easiest to reflect in the code as such.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iktar:
<B>If you dual weapons, does parry skill check per weapon?

meaing: if ure dual wielding and mob attacks u, u get two checks (one check per weapon) or one check of parry against per attack.

if not, since parry is using ure own weapon to block, shouldn't u get two chance to parry if ure dualing?

dat could be nice perk if mob is too big to be bashed and if ure the tank. dual so u can get additional chance to parry instead of chance of shieldblock. while dealing slighty more damage :P

and dat for rangers would mean lil better survival chance when they're target.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

under the same note. what about going polish florentine, i mean dualing 2 shields, totally defensive you give up any attacks to block all attacks?

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:35 pm

I'm all for Chicken Florentine. Or maybe Chicken Alfredo. And on that note, it's time for me to go get something to eat.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:54 pm

"It should be far easier to parry with one hand and strike with the other, thus giving an improved riposte %. Technically that's not a riposte, but IMHO it's easiest to reflect in the code as such."

That only applies if you're actively devoting a weapon to defense, ie Florentine. You don't see attacks with main-gauches and parrying daggers as often as you will with a wakizashi assuming fairly traditional styles. Attacking consistently with a second weapon is definately more offense oriented then Florentine.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”