one man's junk is anothers treasure...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Myre
Sojourner

one man\'s junk is anothers treasure...

Postby Myre » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:51 pm

I was thinkin (yeah a dangerous pass time)...

once upon a time.... It was not even permitted to trade/sell artifact items.....and certain items you would NEVER see traded just by their nature (tiamat items, unless you were a boneheaded monk named Grenan)....Other items you would rarely see traded unless people really offered up nothing short of their eternal soul (i.e. fumes bracelets)

Then it dawned on me...a lot of the taboos for trading items have gone by the way side and the truely legendary badass items of games past are no longer anything but fairly common... (twilight, surtur, diamondine)

So. My questions are....

1) Which item is your most cherised posession? and is it due to stats, roleplay reasons, or simply because of the ass-drill we take getting some of these things?

2) Hypothetically....IF you were given the chance to go to some mysterious incarnation of Sojourn 4...but could only take 1 item with you what would it be..and why..

3) what ...if any...are items you would consider an absolute taboo to trade..
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:56 pm

1) my most cherished item would have to be my starsilver platemail.. honestly just because due to my play nature/times it is extremely unlikely that I will have many chances to do MD...and even more unlikely that it's replaceable.. cherished because it finally in my minds-eye made me less newbieish..

2) if i could take only 1 item with me to a soj4...i'd take my headband of 1k eyes...mostly due to it's function as well as the basic inherent hit point help Image

3) totally taboo items....well i'm still stuck in the past enough that trading things like twilights and surturs seems somehow wrong to me....but the only items i'd consider totally taboo to trade would obviously be tiamat items....and perhaps quest items that take a whole group to achieve like deathknell perhaps.

Myre/Zajan

[This message has been edited by Myre (edited 10-22-2002).]
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:04 pm

My most charished item would be... My amulet of sight =) Because rareload avernus eq ownz all...

Item I would bring with me to soj4 would be... My roots belt (the old one) yummy :P

Taboo trading items? Tiamat gear only, muds been up for over a year, a lot of really hard to get stuff has been done a ton, so there is extra eq out there. I don't particularly like the idea of trading twilights/etc, but if someone offered me it for gythka I might say yes. =)

oh, and orb of annihilation owz allllllllll..........

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Myre:
<B>1) my most cherished item would have to be my starsilver platemail.. honestly just because due to my play nature/times it is extremely unlikely that I will have many chances to do MD...and even more unlikely that it's replaceable.. cherished because it finally in my minds-eye made me less newbieish..

2) if i could take only 1 item with me to a soj4...i'd take my headband of 1k eyes...mostly due to it's function as well as the basic inherent hit point help Image

3) totally taboo items....well i'm still stuck in the past enough that trading things like twilights and surturs seems somehow wrong to me....but the only items i'd consider totally taboo to trade would obviously be tiamat items....and perhaps quest items that take a whole group to achieve like deathknell perhaps.

Myre/Zajan

[This message has been edited by Myre (edited 10-22-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as a paladin my cherished item is a bag full of lathander's disc's, but since i dont see me getting any in the near future, i will just have to think of another spiffy item

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:10 pm

demon hide pack owns all containers, portable hole or not Image so I'd keep that!

My egg I think is my most prized possession .. sure do love ya Baik and Gromi Image So I'd SURE keep that

And yea my anny orb Image

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:22 pm

At the beginning of the wipe my only real goal as far as equipment was to get myself a pair of volos. As far as I'm concerned its the most powerful item in the game because it actually gives you a new ability as opposed to more hps, sv_spell, ac, or whatever. On toril I liked the boots so much that I managed to acquire a second pair and kept it on storage in case i ever lost my first pair due to a corpse rot. Simply put, the boots allow me to play the game in the style that comes natural to me. I didn't even realize I would get super-sneak abilities when I got the boots this wipe. Also, the 100 moves part of the boots is sometimes laughed at, but actually it makes a world of difference. I usually have more than enough moves to complete most cr's. Trust me, the last thing you want to do during a tricky cr is sit around lagged from a driftwood staff. So yeah, obviously this would also be the item that I would want to take to Soj 4, and my idea of a taboo trading item as well. Btw, I'm the one who traded for Grenan's Isha on Toril Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 10-22-2002).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Myre:
<B>So. My questions are....

1) Which item is your most cherised posession? and is it due to stats, roleplay reasons, or simply because of the ass-drill we take getting some of these things?

2) Hypothetically....IF you were given the chance to go to some mysterious incarnation of Sojourn 4...but could only take 1 item with you what would it be..and why..

3) what ...if any...are items you would consider an absolute taboo to trade..</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Ale. I like it because it's ale. My veins pump ale, not blood.

2) Ale. Never trust a sober dwarf.

3) Ale. Sharing is ok. Giving away is ok. Selling is bad, trading is bad. Drinking is by far the best thing you can do to the ale.

- Grungar "Take me drunk, I'm home" Forgefire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:15 pm

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000315.html

------------------
Gormal group-says 'shut up before i stab you in the face with my cock'
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:35 pm

At the time, that belt was only wearable by squids, it wasn't until later that it was made wearable by druids as well. Thus making it considerably less 'taboo' for a person who only plays a good raced character to trade.

Glorishan

------------------
Gormal group-says 'damn im worthless'
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glorishan:
At the time, that belt was only wearable by squids, it wasn't until later that it was made wearable by druids as well.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not wearable by druids. You're thinking Bard.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:09 pm

Most cherished possession would be my dagger of oblivion. It is just too cool for words, and I feel really defines my class.

If I could only take one item with me, it would be my elaborate dragonscale robes. Despite being fugly, they have godly stats. Tiamat arch-magi staff is just blah in comparison (upgrade tia staff).

I don't consider anything taboo to trade. If something else has greater value to you as a person, feel free to trade any item you have.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:20 am

Hmmm, most cherished item is split between two things: Either my tia quiver since mine was the first looted off her pile (Weylarii got his sometime later since it wasn't in the treasure the first time tia was done), or some soldier boots with spurs that I have that were a gift from someone on Valentine's day. The former oozes style, the latter is great to pull out in response to off color comments Image

If I were to take one item with me, it would definately be my surtur. They might be more common now, but still are kickass and brings back the fun of doing invasion when I stop to think about it.

I don't really view anything as a taboo item to trade as long as you didn't pick it up just to trade it. I don't claim responsibility for other people's stupidity.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:42 am

1) The first Dawnsfire ever in the game.

2) I would have to say the same.. It's the only thing that would get me to play a ranger ever again.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:47 am

My Avenger plain and simple. Its much like a caster classes highest quest spell to me. I think it really defines a Pally, and while its not the greatest item while grouped its great fun when ya just want to do some solo action.

Gavry
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:16 am

1 & 2) the black steel amulet of the crescent moon (magic). I love it I love it I love it!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:30 am

The one thing I would bring with me? That's easy - my scimitar. Yea it's a good weapon, but for those who are familiar with me, it is one of the things that truly defines who Sylvos is Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:48 am

My most prized possession is my silver spoon. Started out as a cheap, silly Matrix gag (there is no spoon). It quickly became a quirky thing about my character and launched my collection of cookware last wipe. I even put some notches on it... that spoon had the final hit on gigantic werewolf and various TF and Baldur's mobs.

Since I don't play, I'll just say the item I wish I had most on soj THREE is my windsong, duh Image I only had the 3rd one last wipe, but I did that quest front to back with no twinking and no friends handing me items. Took me 6 months, but I STILL have the log of receiving it.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:20 am

I have several 'prized' possesions, my warbow, yetihide musp invasion quiver, cloak of the elvenkind, (chlora armor now, since its so hard to find her) Sure theres stuff like windsong, roots belt, silver bands, falcon boots... I'd prolly take the elvenkind with me, its usually so incredibly long after wipe that anyone does it and even then its retartedly hard to win in bids.

Someone wanted my yetihide quiver the other day... its not the .best. quiver in the game, but its definatly second best and right now uber rare and + mad style... It would take insanity to get it from me. Same with windsong or my warbow.

-Gerad Image

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:43 am

1)Diamondine Cuz it took me an assload to get my second one cuz some bastard ranger(kasula) or some caster would always out bid me on the damn things, so i ended up trading an arm and a leg for it.

2)Glammad crown, mainly becuase i have only been to invasion once and I am too hated to be asked to nice zones like this anymore Image

3)Tia gear should not be traded...

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:18 am

1) My most cherished possession would be my basilisk scale leggings. There were SO many occasions I could've died tanking dragons and cloud mobs that the leggings saved me everytime.

2) Basilisk scale leggings owns, no. 1 item I would bring to Sojourn 4.

3) I have no qualms with trading items, if it's yours and you earned it, do what you want with it. However, I do have a problem with people twinking or farming certain items to trade without regard to others that needs them more.

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:56 am

My most cherished item is my glowing crimson dagger. It is important to me because I worked hard to get it; it took about a week of gathering information, planning and recruiting before I was ready.

The item I would take with me would be my spellbook that Olit gave me. This would be the most useful item to bring, and most of the other stuff is not hard to get.

There isn't much I would consider taboo to trade. But basically anything the gods say is illegal to trade, items that are bugged somehow, any special items given out by gods (though that probably doesn't happen here).

- Mike
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:31 pm

When it comes to items I'm with Nokie on the crescent moon. Love it, no two ways about it, it's the one item I don't think I will EVER trade away.

Speaking in generalities...

The most cherished gifts I would take to another incarnation of Soj which I would NEVER trade for anything would be the friends I've made here. They're what brings me back day after day, and they're what would bring me back to the next phase of Soj. and would make it a pleasure to play buttnekkid all over again. Sojourn wouldn't be Sojourn without my Zennie.
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:48 pm

as for me as a cleric i would have to say heartstone, all the saves and !summon on it makes for great held item

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:15 pm

[This message has been edited by Glarec (edited 10-23-2002).]
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:31 pm

it's really cool to see all the different stages people are at....

I forget who it was that said... you've evolved to a differnt state of the mud when items you wear go beyond fuction and towards style... i think it was on the 'what is elite' string...but not sure..

i think the funniest so far has to be the spoon
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:36 pm

1) a suit of blue-white crystal platemail (magic) (glowing) (illuminating)

This armor's stats are insane, and I think its ansi is unique

2) If we are talking about items in the game as they are right now (no items or artifacts from the past) then I'd take this armor.

3) Tia eq, Kern eq, and the other really hard gc quest guy (fumes bracelet, greyhoime gauntlets, elven collar, etc.)

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:34 pm

I would probably say it would have to be my bamboo flogging crop.

Why, you ask? Symbolism. For lack of a better item, the bamboo crop symbolizes my ability and willingness to spank.

Eq can be rebuilt. Zones can be done. But the ties that bind us cannot be so easily forsaken.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>1) The first Dawnsfire ever in the game.

2) I would have to say the same.. It's the only thing that would get me to play a ranger ever again.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I'd take it again, Mal :P muwahaha
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B>

The item I would take with me would be my spellbook that Olit gave me. This would be the most useful item to bring, and most of the other stuff is not hard to get.

- Mike</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG Olit suxors!

In regards to the thread...

My most prized possession was probably...either my diamond tiara that a bunch of elves helped me get, or my old roots belt. Those basilisk leggings that Dhurn loaned me and i promptly fed to dragon breath were pretty spiffy too. Being the first person with 2 orbs of power was sort of a novelty as well. Fun times...fun times indeed.

If I could bring something to soj4, I'd bring Matt (kajib) back. That guy made soj2 so much fun...

I think it's super lame to have a big group spend hours doing a quest for you, and then trading the items. That, in my opinion, is far worse than trading tiamat eq.

[This message has been edited by Maedor (edited 10-29-2002).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”