Question regarding earthquake..

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Myre
Sojourner

Question regarding earthquake..

Postby Myre » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:03 am

to me it seems the effect of this spell may have been altered to the better...

however I will admit that I never used it much until recently....

then a question came to mind...

how does earthquake affect people who are levitating or flying....if in fact it is a violent shaking of the ground...those not ON the ground would be out of range....and those sitting or bashed...i would assume would be even more strongly affected due to being closer...

as it...it will hit flying people but won't hit those sitting

Signed,
Confused in DK
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:12 am

guess you haven't been in my groups lately Image

Yssilk
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:27 am

I think this was brought up before and the reply was something to the effect of objects being tossed up into the air or up from the ground hitting those that are flying/levitating.

as for the sitting i am not sure, i dont recall anybody in my groups ever sitting during a fight.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:49 am

not to mention the massive displacement of air that can occur during an earthquake. did you think that the ground moving doesn't affect the air above it?

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:47 pm

Okay, running from memory here:

Magnitude = log10( a / T ) + B.

a is the shift particles in microns at the point of the receiver, T is the distance between the P and the S waves, and B is an empirical constant based on distance from the Earthquake.

1 micron == 1 micrometer.

Therefore, at ground 0, a Magnitude 6 earthquake moves the ground on the order of 1 meter (maximum).

That is considered a big earthquake.

This isn't going to be very serious for anything in the air. A levitating object *might* get bumped and shaken by the ground and air displacement, but probably it isn't going to be knocked to the ground. A flying object should remain untouched.

Anything above a 6.0 earthquake is getting into the realm of leveling WD (if a 6.0 isn't already in that zone), so for game purposes probably aren't worth considering. It should be noted that a magnitude 11 earthquake is sufficient to crack the earth in two.

The idea that "flying objects from the earthquake would pose a threat" is a BS answer and is an excuse for not fixing it, not a reason to keep it as is. Objects tend to *fall over* in an earthquake, not get thrown vertically into the air *at* whoever happens to be floating around.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:56 pm

jesus else

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:37 pm

The phrase, 'its a game' comes to mind.

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:00 pm

The words "who in the hell cares?" come to mind along with "it's just a game." Because it's a game there are going to be oddities that go along with the more realistic aspects.

I don't know about you guys, but if I wanted real life, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:46 am

Heh, my point is simple.

If you want to keep that it hits flying objects for "game balance" or somesuch thats fine, but admit that its for game balance, don't make up BS reasons for it that don't hold in reality.

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:55 pm

Er...

I don't think anyone ever said it *wasn't* for game balance. The fancy reasons are just rationalizations for what it would look like.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:26 pm

he has a good point an earthquake doesnot nececarily hfto have fishers and toss things up in the air but it can knowck ppl down leveitating/flying ppl should not be affected as for sittiing/bashed ppl they should have an advantage to stay upright beacues you caant be knocked down if your already on the ground (if you dont belive me laydown on the ground then have your best friend try to knock you down)the damage to those people should be dependant on the proficiency of the caster.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:08 am

Hrrmmmmm, perhaps we could rename the spell to "Earthquake, with groovy flying rocks effect".

nogs self

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:04 pm

Mori:

Read some of the prior discussions. Everyone in favor of the system has almost never said said "for game balance": they have made lame excuses for why an earthquake should affect flying critters.

Oh, Kia did at one point say that it was for game balance, but since most higher level mobs flew didn't we want to keep it so that it hit flyers anyway. Todrael (IIRC) replied that we would prefer if it didn't hit fliers and then the conversation died.

amolol:
"he has a good point an earthquake"

He?

I'm going to have to get out my intelligence readjustment stick here in a minute... Image

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”