Roller

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Lazus
Sojourner

Roller

Postby Lazus » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:43 am

Okay, I could just be plain dumb, but bear with me. I am trying to roll a Halfling Bard, and looking at the Bard helpfile, it says minimum Intelligence is 80 and Charisma is 90. I am getting averages on Int, and fairs and goods on Cha, when those aren't even the minimums for the class!
Average: 66-75 Fair: 76-81 Good: 82-87

Just a friendly question, cause its getting aggrivating trying to find a heroic or perfect CHA with a decent STR, CON, and DEX.

Thanks
Lazus

------------------
You are now a member of Mori's Funky Chickens
You shout 'Help! Moritheil is trying to kill me at A Wide Dirt Road!'
Shevarash shouts 'What else is new?'
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:51 am

Personally, I think the roller should be made much easier.

And YES i know it's been tweaked since before, bla bla bla.

But shit, make it better Image

there have been MANY excellent ideas about how to improve this which makes me wonder if the staff honestly cares. If the staff cares, PLEASE speak up and we will start another thread on good suggestions.

gyrx
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:58 am

finally got the best battlechanter stats i've ever seen? fair/mighty/mighty/fair, mighty cha. god that's so sad.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:19 am

There was an idea awhile back to allow someone to manipulate the stats..kinda tweak em or what not. I wouldn't mind since the average is 75 as Itchy says, what's the point of having to settle with mundane power, etc..(wasted pts) Ah well Image Stats are huge, it's obvious to ogres, or they'd quit taking crit's !
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:09 am

Nothing makes a game unattractive to new players like the idea that they have to start their characters below par.

Your average Diablo playing RPG gamer logging in to Sojourn for the first time doesn't care about the availability of high level +stat items. He doesn't care about balancing caster gear vs. melee gear. He doesn't care about one item in a zone he may never see that can fill the gaps in his base stats.

How many of you play AD&D? How many of you D&D players roll your characters using the 3d6, no point swapping method? How many of you would play a computer game if you spent 2 hours on the roller screen and still had a mediocre character to show for it?

I've never liked the roller.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:28 am

Maybe those diablo players should realize that if it's not possible to roll all 100's, this game probably lets you play just fine with mostly 80's. Or maybe we should add a line to the stat roller saying "On Sojourn, is quite possible to have a good character with the minimum class requirements, and there is equipment and spells available to raise your stats far beyond this." That way they are aware of it.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:41 am

Well, just to offer a different opinion, I think the roller is too easy, and limits the diversity of characters on the mud severly. EVERYONE (cept thanuk you foo?) has max con notch, and decent stats. You can roll an unlimited amount of times which if you have patience or some time on your hands, which you obviously do if you are a sojourn player, will yield excellent stats.

Rather than _fix_ bard so their primary stats are automatically kick ass, lets downgrade all other characters! Well, honestly I wouldn't enjoy rolling for a few more days to make another Ladak, but hey, in order to add some diversity to character attributes and max stat gear mean somethin I'm all for it.

If you make any changes to the roller and styill allow unlimeted rolls, then people will roll for a long time in order to get the best character.

Other good rolling systems I have seen have been where you have limited rolls, eg 100, but can save a maximum of 10 of them. The problem with limiting the number of rolls I see is that you just make 50 chars and then decide, no limit...

If any changes to the roller were made, I think something like a period of 1 month could be allowed in which you may roll new stats while playing that character.

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:47 am

Yes, everyone has max con notch, but that's because con is so darned important Image

I'm missing quite some notches in my other primary stats, my dex and agi for example are in the middle 80's and my str is barely 91.

+stat gear is by no means useless, it allows me to select some eq which raises these stats a notch.

And I think the roller as it is now is awesome. You can customize your char to a great deal with the new descriptions, and have no risk of rolling a 40 good like you did before. At the same time, it's almost impossible to roll an uber char with every primary notch.

Leave it as is, is my vote Image
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Yes, everyone has max con notch, but that's because con is so darned important Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

errr, no Image
I rolled Xisiqomelir in Aug last year not knowing much of anything. Not just one, but *2* con notches below max. Massive kick out of putting on ogrehides and gaining 60 hp Image
*deep bow*

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:26 pm

I find it funny as hell when the group leader says "ok Depok is a barbarian, drag the dwarf warrior corpse out of the room please"

And I have to say ok can the enchanter cast a few strength spells on me?

This is even removing my eldritch.

Str = 60 I believe.

Depok
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:11 pm

i wish cyric would let area gods break the 2 effect maximum to add just a stat. this would be a good way to make some high level items desired instead of soon-to-be quest items.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:23 pm

I believe the 2 effect maximum is a limitation of the code, if I am not mistaken.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:02 pm

I have a book on Game Design that makes some valid points on rollers. I can copy what it says later, but for the moment the question is: why? There is no reason for it.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>If any changes to the roller were made, I think something like a period of 1 month could be allowed in which you may roll new stats while playing that character.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell yea, this is the best idea I've ever seen on the bbs here.

I am a sojourn newbie. I've played briefly in the past but never got far. When I hear sojourn was back up, I immediately logged in. I spent maybe a half hour rolling (seemed like an eternity, as I wanted to get playing right away). I wasn't sure what all the stats meant but had a rough idea (there was no description of the stats, or I couldn't figure out how to see it). So I picked invoker and rolled trying to get good int and str. I didn't think a mage needed dex/agil so I ignored that part. I did want to be powerful though, so I aimed for high pow. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I realized I made poor choices. By then I was already level 20 or so and didn't want to delete myself (note that I had newbie gear, not "power-levelling" gear).

My character isn't too bad, but the one stat that does interfere with playability and my enjoyment of the game is the 44 or 46 agility. When someone casts earthquake, I fall about half the time. I have no client, so I'm doing good just assisting/casting.

Anyways, I think this is a really great idea. Especially for new players such as myself.

Or even reallocating stats would be cool. I'd love to swap my 44/46 agil with my 71 pow.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:41 pm

Case Study 5.1: Is This Supposed to be Fun?

Early CRPG's for some arcane reason, used to begin with the player having to randomly generate scores in attributes such as strength, dexterity, and intelligence. Well those where the early days, and we didn't know any better. Except that it still goes on. Look at this quotation from a recent RPG:

"By using the plus and minus keys next to each trait on the menu, you can take points away from some traits and add them to others to get the balance you want. If you really don't like the hand you've been dealt, you can click REROLL to get a different set of values for the various traits."
--The Baulder's Gate Official Strategy Guide

"If you really don't like the hand you've been dealt..." Or, to put it another way: "If you have to be a pain and can't just go along with what you got [the] first time..." But, each time I "reroll" I get a new set of random attributes, which may be higher overall than the first set. Assuming the attribute values make any difference at all to the game, I'm going to want them to be as high as possible, aren't I? If I'm patient enough, maybe I should keep "rerolling" until every attribute comes up with a value of 18. (The range is from 3 to 18, for another batty reason we don't need to go into here.)

And why don't I keep rerolling for hours, until I have the perfect character? Because I bought this product to play a role-playing adventure, not to watch strings of numbers changing. This has been set up merely as an endurance test. When I finally get bored and frustrated enough, I'll accept my attribute scores and get on with the game.

As an example of player/gameplay balance, it's not quite in the Stone Age.

(Taken from page 79 of "Game Architecture and Design" by Andrew Rollings and Dave Morris)

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:58 pm

Screw u.
I wanted to play, stat rolling takes to long. Got within 4, good enuff, 1 +4 con item is fine. why dont u just setbit our stats again? Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:29 pm

No kidding. I hereby petition the staff to set all our stats to 100, because we obviously can't play this game with any less.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”