shield of eyeballs

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

shield of eyeballs

Postby Dalar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:15 am

Could the tarrasque component of this quest be changed to something else and have that mob load in tarrasque's former spot?

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:35 am

what would anyone want with that worthless shield of eyeballs? Its so crappy by todays standards that the tarrasque should be made easier to justify the junk stats! nod self.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:08 pm

Honestly, what good is a shield of eyeballs? It's not going to afford you much protection. One hit and it'll go squish, leaking all sorts of eye juices all over your arm, and that's just not something you need in the midst of battle.

- Grungar "Magic Schmagic" Forgefire
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:23 pm

It's for a quest...

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:36 pm

Look harder.

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

[This message has been edited by Gerad (edited 12-02-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:19 pm

look harder my ass.

one god says the tarrasque is in, another says it isnt, and nobody feels like clarifying it. So fuck it, not gonna bother looking at all.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:25 pm

Spoke with erevan. He said that he will check out the situation with the tarrasque and give us an official answer as to whats going on with it.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:38 pm

Spoke out of turn, I have no statement on the matter.

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks
Miax : (51) [ Im totally addicted to the mud again.. ]

[This message has been edited by Azuth (edited 12-02-2002).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:57 pm

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
[b]Look harder.

-Gerad

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You still play here?

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:22 am

Azuth,

Gargauth said actually that the tarrasque is in the game. And you are saying that gargauth is correct, the tarrasque is not in the game? Whats the deal?

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:09 am

Update:

I spoke with gargauth about this issue. Check out this link for what he originally said about the tarrasque:

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001975.html

As you can see, in response to player concerns about whether or not the tarrasque is in the game, gargauth said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
Look harder Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my conversation with Gargauth, I asked him to confirm to me that the tarrasque was indeed in the game as he said it was. I was not able to get a confirmation one way or the other out of him. He did give me permission, however, to quote various tells he sent me:

Tell to Gargauth 'so you stand by your post on the bbs that the tarrasque is in the game?'
Gargauth tells you 'I stand by my post that said Go Look.'

(tells which i wasn't given permission to post are here)

Gargauth tells you 'if this was a real world, you would not ask God "hey God, does this exist for me to kill'? no, you'd walk your ass around and find it.'
Tell to Gargauth 'you told people its in the game..'
Gargauth tells you 'God would say 'hey lazy fucker, go find out yourself''
Tell to Gargauth ''go look' isn't something you tell someone if theres nothing to find.'
Gargauth tells you 'I said Go Look.'

(tells which i wasn't given permission to post are here)

Gargauth tells you 'I didn't say it was in, I didn't say it was out. I just said go find out for yourselves.'

---------------------------------

I believe that if the tarrasque isnt in the game, Gargauth owes the players an apology. He did not say "go look" as you can see by checking out the link i posted. He said "Look harder Image". The only conclusion one could get from his post is that the tarrasque is in the game and the players simply haven't found it yet. If gargauth knew when he posted "look harder Image" that there was nothing at all to find, he was gratuitously misleading the players for his own amusement. This is not acceptable conduct by the immortals.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:34 am

Calm down. This is not worth getting upset about. Here's the deal:

1) The Tarrasque is not currently in the game.

2) Gargauth made his statement when it WAS in the game.

Sorry for the confusion. I would have preferred to have said nothing on this issue but obviously some clarification is needed. And no, I will not tell you why it was removed or when it will be coming back.

It is unfortunate that the quests linked to the Tarrasque cannot be finished at present, but such is the price of progress. In the meantime, there are 4993 other quests in the game to work on. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:18 am

so let me get this straight..

First the tarrasque is removed from the jungle where it used to load and was put elsewhere in the game. The players, curious as to whether the tarrasque will be brought back, ask about it, and Gargauth tells them to "look harder" for it. The players run around looking for the tarrasque. Then, subsequently, inexplicably, even though the players haven't found where its been moved, someone decides to remove it? Meanwhile, people continue running around 'looking harder', as per a god's instructions, for something that doesn't exist?

Assuming everything you say is correct Shev, which is quite a leap of faith, this situation was not handled well at all...

Corth

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-03-2002).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:44 am

Sure, it could have been handled better - but us volunteers do the best that we can, and I really don't think this is worth getting too upset about. Like I said earlier, sometimes the price of progress is these little foul-ups.

Live and learn, let's move on.

------------------
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:49 am

Your right Shev. I'm glad at least that people wont continue to waste their time looking hard for something that isnt there....

Right Gerad?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:25 pm

The palpable sense of entitlement is appalling.

*puts his thesaurus away*

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:45 pm

Who's sense of entitlement Mplor?

Gargauth sense of entitlement to have fun while the mortals scurry about on their impossible errands,

or my sense of entitlement to be able to have at least some minimal trust in what the immortals here say?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:13 pm

How can you say 'look harder' is gratuitously misleading the players for his own amusement? Since when are we entitled to a checklist of what quest mobs are currently in the game? I think Gargs himself explained it quite nicely:

Gargauth tells you 'I didn't say it was in, I didn't say it was out. I just said go find out for yourselves.' (i.e. look harder, if you don't find it, it's probably not in).

Posting for the sake of posting,
Belle
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Your right Shev. I'm glad at least that people wont continue to waste their time looking hard for something that isnt there....

Right Gerad?

Corth
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going by the same thing everyone else thought, that gargauth 'implied' that it was in the game and to look for it.

Edit:
oh yeah, and gargauth IS the outcast, hater of all things mortal, so go figure Image
------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

[This message has been edited by Gerad (edited 12-03-2002).]
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
<B>
oh yeah, and gargauth IS the outcast, hater of all things mortal, so go figure </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RP 0wns j00?

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B> RP 0wns j00?

Gear gaming pwned by RP, first time for everything! Heh. Image

Gerad

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:27 pm

Ummmm, I enjoy doing quests a great deal, but really... so what? There's still no reason to get bent about the staff. If a mistake was made, let it go. If it wasn't a mistake then they only get jollies out of it when you get steamed, right? They do plenty enough for us without us jumping all over a little faux pas.

Kick back, feel the breeze, life is good, on with the show.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:28 pm

Corth: Calm down, so he made a mistake. big deal. Doesn't mean you get to bitch at the imms about it. At least until you spend hundreds of hours administering the MUD for thankless mortals...

Shevy: Saying nothing wouldn't have really been good either. In fact, the whole mess could have been avoided if you guys had just told us what was going on earlier. A lot of flaming and bitching could probably be spared on the BBS if we knew more about what was happening and/or going to happen.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Calm down. This is not worth getting upset about. Here's the deal:

1) The Tarrasque is not currently in the game.

2) Gargauth made his statement when it WAS in the game.

Sorry for the confusion. I would have preferred to have said nothing on this issue but obviously some clarification is needed. And no, I will not tell you why it was removed or when it will be coming back.

It is unfortunate that the quests linked to the Tarrasque cannot be finished at present, but such is the price of progress. In the meantime, there are 4993 other quests in the game to work on. Image

how about using that really cool and underused command. um.. i think it was called news. also. Shevy have you bothered doing any of those other 4993 quests? 2-3 really stupid ones with poor risk vs reward or just incomplete can really change your view about area gods and questing in general.

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>Corth: Calm down, so he made a mistake. big deal. Doesn't mean you get to bitch at the imms about it. At least until you spend hundreds of hours administering the MUD for thankless mortals...

Shevy: Saying nothing wouldn't have really been good either. In fact, the whole mess could have been avoided if you guys had just told us what was going on earlier. A lot of flaming and bitching could probably be spared on the BBS if we knew more about what was happening and/or going to happen.

I'm sure there are _many_ disgruntled players who would love to volunteer to admin or build or stuff. Problem is once you're labeled it's impossible. Also this isn't even close to the first time a god has said something that contradicted what another god said or contradicted something in game.

------------------
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:44 pm

oh yeah, and gargauth IS the outcast, hater of all things mortal, so go figure Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that, sir, is the core of the problem.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:28 pm

As players we are entitled to expect honest, well-intentioned staff doing the best they can with their free time. We aren't entitled to a perfect, omniscient staff able to provide infallible feedback all the time.

There was no intent to mislead or to frustrate your personal gaming experience. Mistakes were made. Do you want an apology? I think you pretty much got one from Shevy, and he's the Forger. What more do you really want? The staff will do their best, but if you expect scriptural canon every time someone 51+ opens his mouth, then you will be sadly disappointed in humanity.

Let me assure you that I've been through the same thing you have, Corth. On Soj2, I was assured that the idols for the dscale gaunts quest were all in the game. It turns out they weren't. You know how I found out? I searched 10x in every forest room on the prime material plane, even in UD and UM. Then I started over and did it again. It was only when I listed all the friggin forests I'd searched to a staff member that he discovered his mistake. One idol was in a room not currently connected to the MUD.

Of course I cursed the gods and lamented pubicly that I'd been misled and my trust had been breached and that the staff were obviously trying to get their kicks by watching me waste my time, right? Wrong.

That would have been silly. The god in question made an honest mistake, and when it became obvious through my fruitless efforts, he admitted as much and apologized. What more can you really ask, of a god, of a human being?

Mp

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B> Also this isn't even close to the first time a god has said something that contradicted what another god said or contradicted something in game.

Again, so what? How important is that in this totally free game staffed by volunteers, anyway?

It wasn't done out of spite, which means it was a mistake. You want service? Go shell out money on the service industry. It just blows me away when people complain about something that's given to them because it's just not good enough.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mplor:
<B> What more can you really ask, of a god, of a human being?

Mp

how about taking the time to actually go to that one forest and checking if it was accessible by walking instead of saying "oh yea it's there trust me".

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B> Again, so what? How important is that in this totally free game staffed by volunteers, anyway?

It wasn't done out of spite, which means it was a mistake. You want service? Go shell out money on the service industry. It just blows me away when people complain about something that's given to them because it's just not good enough.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

would be nice if the gods used the news command when pulling out or putting in stuff. like "A certain jungle monster has been removed from game" or something like that. that takes what, a minute of their time?

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mplor:
<B> There was no intent to mislead or to frustrate your personal gaming experience.

Early in the wipe i was working on some quests in oakvale. I spent days trying to figure out a keyword door. Eventually it was discovered the reason i couldn't get in was the keyword was typoed. I didn't yell, bitch, moan, or complain.

I understand mistakes. If you think this situation with gargauth was a mistake, I have a bridge to sell you. We've already seen the gods can be wrong, why do you assume that shev is correct that the tarrasque was in the game when gargauth said it was? Shev is buying lock stock and barrel the story gargauth is telling him...

I've had it explained to me that Gargauth was in charge of adding a proc to the tarrasque. He was the one that removed it, and the one that had the best knowledge as to what its status was. Why exactly would he move it somewhere, then imply its in the game, and then take it out? Short answer: he didnt. He removed the tarrasque, implied it was in the game, and it hasn't been in the game since. Just like erlan, it sometimes takes gargauth a while to complete things. In the meantime people have been running around wasting their time looking for it because of what he told us.

If he really did tell us to look harder for it, and then subsequently remove it, why would he send those tells to me where he was saying his 'look harder' statement didn't even imply that the mob was in? Couldn't he much more easily say that the words meant what they look like and that he simply had taken the tarrasque out afterwords? This story doesn't make any sense...

I know you have met garguath irl and consider him a friend, but you can't defend him here and retain much credibility. This isn't the first time that he has let his disdain for the players get ahead of his better judgment.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-03-2002).]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:45 pm

speaking of erlan:

can this project be finished this year? i mean if you guys keep piling assignments on garg why not give it to an area god?

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:14 pm

I'm going to have to side with Gargauth on this one. "Look harder" doesn't really imply that it exists or doesn't exist. You could ask Gargauth if there's a +100hp ring in the game and he could say "Look Harder". Then again, he could say 'Go roll a donut'. Means about the same thing.

------------------
-Yayaril
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:26 pm

<B> I was going by the same thing everyone else thought, that gargauth 'implied' that it was in the game and to look for it.

For yayaril...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:28 pm

Erlans is only 1 quest, go do the 4350 other ones Image Seriously thou it's way over due, if the revamp isn't ready, or not going to be for a few years, why not just add the old one back in?

Here Forka,
Belle
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B> You still play here?

yes

------------------
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:17 pm

Yawn, is this thread still alive? :P

Look, first of all - Gargauth doesn't have the power to remove anything from the main mud by himself - that requires a Forger or Co-Ord. I know exactly what has transpired and I can assure you there was no ill will towards anyone involved.

On the contrary, did you ever think that perhaps the reason for the secrecy about this issue is due to us trying to give the players a fun surprise?

For the last time, I apologize for the misunderstanding and any time you wasted because of it.

...and that's all I have to say about that.

------------------
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:02 pm

Thats fair Shev. I didnt mean to make a whole big deal out of this incident. I understand that the immortals donate a lot of their time in order to build this mud. Gargauth does not need to justify himself... he has contributed an enormous amount to sojourn. However, the gods still need to be respectful in their dealings with the players. What Gargauth did was wrong, either way you look at it. I accept your apology on his behalf, and ask that in the future, the immortals attempt to correct any false information that they distribute to the players if the players are spending time in reliance on that info. I should not have had to go to such extreme measures in order to get a definitive answer given the circumstances of what happened.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:06 pm

why would something especially a quest piece for some uber quests be taken out without announcing it in the news?

why wouldn't the 'surprise' be prepared and then swapped in rather than something taken out while the 'surprise' is being prepraed?

isn't that kind of like shooting your own foot off?

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:09 pm

dammit kiryan, you are making it hard for me to catch your post count.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Locking this thread, as it appears the purpose behind it is now done. Any further posts won't add anything.

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”