New Song Ideas, Post Here

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.

New Song Ideas, Post Here

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:14 am

OK, well first off some explanation: I set up the engine so it's a piece of cake to add a song. Simpler than adding a spell, really.

Sooooo... I did have it in the back of my head that there'd probably be at least one or two really good ideas from players for new songs. I hit 13, and was tremendously fatigued (and song of charming and their ilk seemed silly, if they're not gonna work on anything meaningful)...

Go ahead and post ideas, if you have them, for new songs. I already have one that I'm prolly gonna add that I thought up (no hints, but 41st level song).

Please do understand that you're not gonna get song of group full heal, or song of group stone skin... I don't wanna trample other peoples' roles.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:20 am

A song of luring... like the Pied Piper would play to lure all the mice in the area.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:25 am

Song of Zone reset. I'm so ticked off at all these bards who won't sing pop.

-Lorgan

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:04 am

I think an interesting bard boost would be to allow them to use some "special" coloration in group-say when leading a group.

This could help bards develop a niche as group leaders, by virtue of being able to make their group messages visible.

Of course, this would need to be somewhat limited to avoid irritating abuses (Tiamat strides in from the west, anybody?). Perhaps just take the first word of a new command as a color parameter to gsay (eg, bgsay red I've fallen and I can't get up.)

It might also be nice to allow similar coloration for a "new" bard-only communication mode like "sing".

As to songs? Perhaps a few more varieties of offensive songs would be nice for bards to have. Make them songs that don't fit into the normal framework, and can only be used for several verses per day/period, requiring mixed usage of offensive songs for variety.

I also like the idea of giving bard a song that contributes randomly "rolling" negative effects to foes (ray of enfeeblement on one of eight mobs, and blindness on two, one round, then feeblemind and faerie fire the next, each with a duration of only one round), or random positive effects to group members (heal a bit, haste a bit, etc).

Regards,
Jorus
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
A song of luring... like the Pied Piper would play to lure all the mice in the area.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This idea is interesting.

Maybe a "song of mayhem" that mimics the effects of the sounds of battle, attracting any appropriately flagged guards from adjoining rooms?

And maybe the reverse: A song that slows how quickly such flagged mobs are drawn to combat (perhaps make it a per-round check, the bard, VS the mob's level). It should fail eventually, but being able to slow the rate at which mobs join combat might be useful.

Regards,
Jorus
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:03 am

yeah that would be cool, a song that allowed a bard to lure mobs who listened would give them a nice niche in groups, also a song that would cover up sounds of battle so that mobs that listen wouldn't enter.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:55 pm

Nod I like the song of lure and song of !lure.

Also a random effects offensive/defensive song for fun, since everyone knows how much fun pris is to cast, just to see what ya get Image

EDIT: dunno if this is the right thread but, if you can decrease the lag between song switching? As it is now group mems, i try to switch to song of renew, and by the time it kicks in, everyones done memming Image
It kinda reminds me of the old 30 sec mem penalty.

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.

[This message has been edited by Snurgt (edited 10-05-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:10 pm

Song of Longetivity

While this song is being played, if a player takes damage that would reduce his hit points to 0 or less, he has a chance based on the skill of the bard to remain conscious and active. His hit points would still be negative, but he would not die/incap and would still be able to act. Each time the player receives damage, he would be forced to make a new check to stay alive.

You want a niche for bards, how about keeping the casters alive through area spells when they would have died? Image Cap the chance at 35% or so, to make it impossible for tanks to stay alive while being beaten on.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:00 pm

I put in another post the idea for Song of Chaos. Make it either positive for the group (random bonus or whatnot) or offensive (similar to prism spray). Would be nice that your song sucks so bad, the mob is stunned trying to figure out what the hell you sang. (like listening to some rap *snicker* )

Song of Repulsion..maybe a tracking mob could be sent reeling from the room because your song reminds them of an accute visit to the toilet! After a duration, have mob make save or retrack and then bard can give another roll of TP while singing his Mariah Carrey song haha.

Song of stability. Maybe make song for each style of saving throw. Song of magic vs. mages, song of spider (or whatever) for poison mobs...etc. Song of Anna Kournikova (for protection from petrification *ROFL* )

I don't really recall any good offense bards have in their spells either. Maybe make the song have that effect. Again, my bard was 21st level. But I recall that a high AD&D bard can have 6th circle spells...pretty decent in power.

I just wish from that one guy's post where 'I don't wanna flame, I just don't care anymore'. It's great that he doesn't care. He can still use tact or be cordial. Indifference of one's feelings, especially to the one(s) who worked so hard to redo bards is mean. I think the effort was very good! Bard is fun class but the skill cap and very slow exp table is really hard to take. But the IDEA and versatility of the bard demands attention! Image

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:10 pm

I'd like a few songs to be put in that require four part harmony, or some similar thing. In short, multiple bards.

This allows us to give bards more power without making them twinky.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:00 pm

Oooooh, barbershop for bardies! Quartet of "Slow Boat to China" gets mass teleport? ::whistle::
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:17 pm

ragorn- try help skill_lich

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:29 pm

ooh i love the idea of a song that draws mobs drawn to combat, or stops mobs entering drawn to combat. would be very nice for some zones.

Though my favorite idea for a bard song is song of resurrection!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:35 am

*imagines a 15bard chorus singing Handel's Messiah*

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:19 am

song of anti res effects!

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:43 am

Song of Youth:
Sung on a group it can prevent magical aging, such as that produced by ghosts. Sung on a single person for enough time, it can even begin to reduce their age.

(Make it so that it takes much, much longer to become young by using this song than it would with major rejuv, but this way Pally's aren't screwed with age.)

The Llano: (OK, stole the name from Incarnations of Immortality, sorry)

Can create a small area of nature in any room, thus allowing druid and ranger spells to be much more effective while the song is in effect.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:48 am

Song of Acuity or Alcrility - hastes/reduces spellcasting time!

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:14 am

Song of the Stalwart Mind

This song increases a person's resistance to fear effects.

Also, due to the cool-headedness this song grants, the chances of panicking whilst trying to flee are reduced.

Lastly, chances to abort spells whilst under the effect of this song are reduced.

------------------
-Yayaril

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Burpie:
<B>Song of Acuity or Alcrility - hastes/reduces spellcasting time!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Song of Sorcery already does that. (And had its affects upped slightly recently).
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>song of anti res effects!

Amen

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>song of anti res effects!

there is already a song that does this.

------------------
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Levvirrnaxxum OOC: 'i like backdoor lovin too!'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:46 pm

alacrity? hehe.

------------------

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B> there is already a song that does this.

Really? I musta missed something.
tsaej
Sojourner

Postby tsaej » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:59 am

In my opinion, a load of new songs is not necessarily the answer to making bards/bchanters more useful in a group. Instead take existing songs and allow them to do more. For example:

Song of healing - Cures blindness, poison, paralysis, silence person, perhaps decrease amount the time someone is stunned for. All of these added features to the song would kick in at various levels/skill levels.

Song of Renewal - Increase the amount of mana gained per verse. At lower levels (<40) many times the mana burn is less than the mana increase from the song.

Song of Offensive Harmony - Have this song increase the offensive skills of the group/individual (eg. offense, dual wield, double attack, riposte etc)

Song of Defensive Harmony - I understand that you dont't want to infringe on other classes but perhaps an individual only stone skin side affect at higher levels (NOT group stone skin) wouldnt be to unbalancing. Or perhaps some sort of new affect that highly reduces the chance of being hit by the mob.

Song of Protection - Increase the amount of -sv's that this song gives.

Song of Defensive Disruption - Have this song lower the defensive capabilities of the mob (including ac) more than it does already.

Song of Miscast Magic - Increase the chance of this song working on the targeted mob.

Song of Harming - Increase the amount of damage done by this song. As well, have this song deal out side affects as well such as blindness, poison, curse, etc.

New Song Ideas:

My first proposal for a new song doesn't necessarily have to be a new song but an affect to an already existing song. This affect would be an area stun. Now I understand that this would be unbalancing without some major restrictions. So, some possible restrictions would be:

1. Make it a quest song.
2. Have a very large mana burn associated with each verse.
3. Lower the actual time the mob is stunned for (ie mob is stunned for only 1-2 combat round)
4. Any other restrictions that would be needed to bring it into balance Image

The next song/affect I propose is a room silence. Again this song would be unbalancing without some restrictions (see above for example restrictions).

As has already been mentioned a song that allows for luring and no luring would also be very useful.

Miscellaneous Changes:

Lower the lag time between voluntary song switches. However, if you are forced to stop singing by a mob etc the bard/bchanter would still be lagged.

Allow bard/bchanter rogue skills to reach a higher level.

***(Very Important Addition)***

Create more instruments for bard/bchanters!!!
As of right now there are very few instruments that + anything. Instruments that +hpts, char, int, hit/dam would be very helpful. Every other class in the game is able to hold/wield things in both of their hands I see no reason why this shouldn't be the same for bards.

Thats all my ideas for now. If any more come up I'll make sure to post em.

Tsaej Brokenfingers - Former Bard/Reborn Battlechanter

------------------
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:14 am

The instruments in the town north of the Sylvan Glades on EM, are seriously expensive, some are really heavy, and some are twohanded. With no plusses to be found.

New song:

Song of Cacophony

Acts like silence, but, the song is so loud the caster can't think to cast.

Eilorn.

------------------
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tsaej:
<B> This affect would be an area stun. Now I understand that this would be unbalancing without some major restrictions.

I don't think it would be, because invokers have a spell that does this. It has low casting time, decent damage, and it stuns fairly often. The only reason it's not being used more often is because it's in the same circle as force missiles, and spells such as inferno and meteorswarm is favored more for its high damage output.

This suggestion can also be applied to Eilorn's post.

Like some other posts had said, new songs is good and all, but there are other issues in terms of the bard/bchanters mechanics (mana burn, switching songs, etc.) that may need some tweaking. Gurn's summed up some of the issues nicely in a different thread.

However, new songs suggestion nothwithstanding, I think Yaya's post on !abort and !flee songs would rock, as well as luring and area stuns. Image

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:13 am

Let's try to keep it to new song ideas on this thread. I did address some of that on the other thread (and for those who are asking for increases on current songs, please note they *were* increased 4 or 5 days ago).
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zen:
<B>Song of Zone reset. I'm so ticked off at all these bards who won't sing pop.

As I've said before, I sing a little folk, rock, and jazz. I won't sing pop.

I really like Yaya's suggestion for Song of !Fear. It would give us something useful to do against dragons. And it's something that's really needed, I think: There should be some kind of defense against some of a dragon's attacks. But even if it was a pretty effective song, I doubt it would be unbalancing: On big dragons, I'm getting zapped hard by breath and stunned often enough by buffet (and so stop singing) that it wouldn't make the fights easy. But it might make such fights have a little more strategy and less of the "Fuckit, charge, if we survive, great, if we don't, we'll loot corpses and charge again" nature.

What I would also like is a "Song of Instrument Evaluation". My understanding is that instruments are of higher or lower quality, in terms of playing songs. And I've been informed by a usually reliable source that there is actually a fairly detailed breakdown with some useful differences. (Yes, I'm avoiding discussing details, here.) Currently, I have no good and accurate way of evaluating instrument quality.

What I do in RL, of course, is sit down and play the instrument for a while. So a bard should be able to take any instrument, play a testing song, and after some verses, get some idea of how good the instrument is. After some more verses, he'll get a better idea of how good the instrument is. The bard's skill at that instrument type puts some sort of cap on just how well the bard can evaluate the instrument. Maybe the bard's virtuoso skill sets some limits on how many verses it takes before he figures out how good the instrument is.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:13 pm

I'm very new to Sojourn, but I'm looking forward to checking out the bard class! Here are some ideas I had for songs.

1. Song of Calling - summons 1-10 creatures of a completely random sort, depending on the alignment of the bard. Leave a percentage chance that they will attack the bard and his party, possibly.

2. Song of Dire Emergency - will teleport the bard, and 50-100% of his party (depending on the bard's skill) to a random location. It should be possible for the song to take the party out of the skillet, and into the fire. Give it a very high mana cost.

3. Cacophonic Burst - the bard strums his instrument in such a way that it causes deafness of some kind, and draws other creatures in the area to him (whether they are agrro or not, is uncertain.) Deafness might prevent some spells from being cast by anyone in the area, maybe.

4. Earthsong - a series of celtic stones erupt from the ground, and provide some momentary defense for the bard, and his group.

5. Jester's Song - a song that causes everyone in the room that is not in the bard's party to make some sort of saving throw, or fall flat on the ground (reclining position enforced for a few seconds) from laughter. The song would be targeted to an enemy mob in the room. The song would mock that one mob/character and enrage him or her. The remaining enemy mobs/character would fall to the ground laughing.

------------------
- Krogenar
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:08 pm

Song of warding-

Would love a song that did a short term globe.

Would even take one that only did shaman pets as I lose more pets to shields than anything else.

Sorry enchanters 1. for suggesting this and 2. for asking you to globe my tiger.

Depok
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:08 pm

Hmm, besides "Instrument Evaluation", there's at least one other song in the "useful to bards, and that in RL we would know how to do, without being useful for a group" category. That would be "Song of Musical Scales". We could play this song on any instrument, and it would improve our skills on that instrument. It wouldn't affect any of the current song skills or virtuoso.

The reason this would be useful is, it's easy enough to get the 4 song skills up, but it's pretty hard to get all the instrument skills up. Walking around singing " 'offensive disruption' room" or " 'harming' room " is dangerous! So the only way to practice mandolin or horn is to sit in a room that no mob ever goes to, and sing. Or something equally boring. If we have the "Scales" song, we could at least annoy people at 1W or the fountain with our practicing! Image

If you add both Evaluation and Scales as songs, it may be that we need a new category of songs to put them in: Technique, or some such.

[This message has been edited by Gurns (edited 10-08-2002).]
sharunel
Sojourner

Postby sharunel » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:31 pm

well, i know basically nothing about this class, but i just thought of this. it#s probably not even that useful, but might save some annoyance.

song of webbing? (i'm aware this sounds dumb, feel free to come up with a better word Image)
it'd have a chance of preventing wimpy mobs from continuously fleeing out of combat.

well... i said it probably has no big use, right Image
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:12 pm

how about making song of harming a lower level spell so that the little bardies have something to use for damage...and then at level 50 or something making another song that is similar but does more damage and possibly an additional effect.

more powerful versions of lower level songs might be cool but if you add new songs with entirely new effects we can't sing them all at once and its already hard to fit them all in.
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:37 pm

Song of Confusion
chance to make mobs attack each other..good times!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:08 am

Not sure who your source is Gurns, but I will say that instruments are in the process of being revamped for the new system. When this is done, I'm probably going to put in code to evaluate the instrument under identify and lore.

Instruments are basically going to have the ability to be good in a coupla different areas, rather than just have a 'quality' value.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
<B> code to evaluate the instrument

Instruments ... good in a coupla different areas</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoot, sounds great! *bounce*
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:44 pm

Maybe this is a silly question, but, can Bards attack people with their instruments? That could be interesting, if you had a mandolin with a metal plate on the bottom. Might require that it be tuned in between songs. Image

Also, is there anyway to 'tune' an instrument, to improve it slightly? And, is there a song(s) that could manipulate someone's position? i.e.: Force them to sit, or recline?

------------------
- Krogenar
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:07 pm

Krogenar, there's a martial arts style that favors the use of a metal pipe or flute as a weapon.

------------------
-Yayaril
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krogenar:
Maybe this is a silly question, but, can Bards attack people with their instruments?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, because instruments are held, not wielded.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>That could be interesting, if you had a mandolin with a metal plate on the bottom. Might require that it be tuned in between songs. Image

Tuned? Try "rebuilt"! Or "junked and get a new one"! Image

Actually, since you're new, used missed a similar type of silliness for rangers, some time back. If they were wielding a bow, they would end up pounding on the mob, using it as a club! Never failed to crack me up. Image
Quinelain Dembrovia
Sojourner

Postby Quinelain Dembrovia » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:35 am

song of (specific diety)

Bard/Battlechanter has a chance to learn a song that grants certain special powers based on the diety the song is sung for/to/about. Bard/battlechanter can ONLY learn ONE song of (specific deity) ie specializing in that particular diety and making them think hard about what song they really want to learn.

For example:

Song of Helm - Ups group/singer's defense abilitys MORE than song of defensive harmony does.
Song of Milil - ups group mana renegration faster than song of renewal

Song of Mystra - reduces group memtime

Song of Torm - Increased offensive ability

ect ect. varying on the alignment of the singer of course..can't have some orc beating a drum and singing the song of Tyr.

------------------
--------------------------
<B>Sir Quinelain Dembrovia
Servant of Iyachtu
Hater of all things Good.</B>
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gurns:
<B> Tuned? Try "rebuilt"! Or "junked and get a new one"! Image

Actually, since you're new, used missed a similar type of silliness for rangers, some time back. If they were wielding a bow, they would end up pounding on the mob, using it as a club! Never failed to crack me up. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! Now that sounds great! I recall seeing Legolas in the recent Tolkien movie stab someone with an arrow even as it was notched, and then firing it at another person. Call this new skill 'arrow poke'. Image
I agree that whacking at someone with the bow itself might be over the top. Image

But isn't there a skill for 'catching' arrows in mid-flight, that rangers have? Tell me that isn't fantasy either!

I still think that maybe some kinds of instruments should be wielded weapons. Obviously, some weapons couldn't be used, like, kazoo's, or mouth harps, or metal spoons. But an oboe or rhythym block could possibly do a little damage. Come to think of it, the 'triangle' probably wouldn't make a good weapon either. But some of the heftier instruments might make good weapons.

I think there should be some bard spell that is very powerful, but very random. Work up a list of 100 different effects, some that help a lot, some that harm the party a lot, and some that are just ... strange. And when that particular song is played, you'll never know which result you'll get.

Oh, here's another idea. If there's a 'song of lore' or something similar, I think it would be great if there were a list of little RP tidbits that could be spammed out at random. If there were a new area, the admins could drop hints to its location into the list. I've seen coding for dreams that does something similar, sampling from a random list. Then, each time the song is sung, a little hint is dropped.

And why not

------------------
- Krogenar
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:26 am

Here's my idea for a quest for bards- it's not really a song, but a single note that bards could learn. I stole this idea from South Park- it's the 'brown' note. Deep within the unconscious mind of each person, in the inner workings of the brain is the capacity to lose all bowel control when the subjects hears a note of a certain pitch. This is the 'brown' note.

The advantages of the note would be quite obvious- even Thrym would lose his goofy smirk he always has when ice-cubing people when his pants are soiled.

Kostchtchie's leggings would have to be washed after you defeat him, but he wouldn't be able to track you quite as fast with the extra weight.

Think about it.

------------------
-Yayaril
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:09 pm

Song of cloaking/concealment

Self-only, replaces the hide and/or sneak skill, functions by hypnotically drawing the attention of mind-possessing creatures within earshot away from the bard -- similar to song of calming (anybody read Eddings?).

Song of opening. Acoustically manipulates the components of a lock, causing it to spring open.

Hey, why not get rid of those "useless" rogue skills, and replace them with something bard themed.

Of course, on the other hand, why mess with a good thing, and make it more complicated?

Hmmm, how about a song that can prevent a door closing on pop? Think: All south, target 1.rhemoraz, sp/feeb/sil 2.rhemoraz gurns sing open-song on vault north.

Or how about a "song of festering" that sung on the room extends the burn time on inferno, and maybe the number of "waves" from creeping doom/rot. Possibly give the resulting damage xp to the bard (dunno about the balance on this). Or "festering", sung on an individual mob might cause their wounds to bleed freely (bigger crits? bronze-citadel-like effects? -- shrug)

Song of physical endowment: Increases the physical capabilities (eg, stats) of the targets.

Regards,
Jorus
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jorus:
<B>Song of physical endowment

Nope, nope, not going to say anything.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gurns:
Nope, nope, not going to say anything.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. I was thinking it might be useful to get recently ressurected people mobile faster, or something. *shrug*

Or maybe at higher levels, sung on a single target, give +max stat points. A tank with **** for all physical statistics might do well, though I'm not sure if it would be better than defensive harmony.

Regards,
Jorus
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:25 am

song of max str and max con

perhaps a combat oriented song as it might increase crit rate
perhaps could have a effect inversely porportional to ress effect. ie when your at 3 str and con from ress effect this song adds 97 str and con to just you while providing normal much smaller bonuses to others in your group.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:04 pm

"Song of Cleansing"

Group Effect:
When the bard sings this song every negative effect on all party members is lessened or eliminated. The way this would work is the better the bard is in level and skill in singing this song, the greater the chance that negative enchantments will be eliminated.
For instance, a cleric is silenced, a bard is singing this song, at top level and skill there would be a lessening in the duration of the silence on the cleric, plus there is a chance every stanza that the silence will be entirely removed. The effect would be strongest is a small group and the percentage greater with greater skill and less with more group members. Think of the way it works as a pool of percentage points that can be spread throughout the group.
Target Effect:
Other proposed benefits of a high skill level when targeting people is a good chance to remove ko, paralyzation, poison, and lycanthropy when actually wolfed out. Negative side affect of this power of this song is the target will find that they are actually becoming younger. This might be a benefit for some classes/races.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:25 pm

I've got a little bard, almost itching for that magical lvl 31 Image

How about this:

A series of RP songs, that have no effect, but various different ones for the different instrument/song type combos. Have them available at lvl 1 like regular basic skills, and they can be played to practice different instruments (ie mandolin & baneful songs) without being in danger. Manaburn would have to be pretty low too for it to be useful to low lvl bards.

<B>Hmm, besides "Instrument Evaluation", there's at least one other song in the "useful to bards, and that in RL we would know how to do, without being useful for a group" category. That would be "Song of Musical Scales". We could play this song on any instrument, and it would improve our skills on that instrument. It wouldn't affect any of the current song skills or virtuoso.

The reason this would be useful is, it's easy enough to get the 4 song skills up, but it's pretty hard to get all the instrument skills up. Walking around singing " 'offensive disruption' room" or " 'harming' room " is dangerous! So the only way to practice mandolin or horn is to sit in a room that no mob ever goes to, and sing. Or something equally boring. If we have the "Scales" song, we could at least annoy people at 1W or the fountain with our practicing! Image

If you add both Evaluation and Scales as songs, it may be that we need a new category of songs to put them in: Technique, or some such.

[This message has been edited by Gurns (edited 10-08-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:

Kostchtchie's leggings would have to be washed after you defeat him, but he wouldn't be able to track you quite as fast with the extra weight.

Think about it.

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, how could I have missed this? There's redistribution of weight, certainly, but I don't see where any extra comes from. Image

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”