grolantor scepter

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Kifle
Sojourner

grolantor scepter

Postby Kifle » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:55 pm

Wth is this thing being max_int? With the bits on this item is makes it by far one of the most worthless items to clerics. Duh! Thats about all I can say is, Duh!

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 12-16-2002).]
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:57 pm

Maybe so those "wise" clerics know when smart-ass mages are making fun of them?
Nods, that one puzzles me as well...

------------------
Meatshield
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:16 pm

Why on earth an item that is cleric only would be given a +max_int stat is beyond me. But even if that bonus were to be removed it could hardly be called useless to clerics. The hps on it are nicer than other options available to good race evil aligned clerics.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:17 pm

*nod* Corth. 35hps for a !drop wep is pretty darned nice.. too bad I can't wield it :P
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
*nod* Corth. 35hps for a !drop wep is pretty darned nice.. too bad I can't wield it :P</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Making it evil only makes it worthless, where's the good aligned version of it? Yet another reason to NOT be a good aligned cleric sheesh.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:53 am

Yet, somehow, there's only like 2 evil aligned clerics on the goodie's side.

------------------
-Yayaril
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:56 am

The majority of good race clerics are dwarf or Elf... which are prevented from going evil.
Zalkenai
Sojourner

Postby Zalkenai » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:40 am

Doesn't make it worthless to say... evil clerics!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:12 am

Regardless of whether it is evil only or not people, my point is is that it is max int rather than max wis, in turn making it a retarded item that should be taken out of the game because of its shear retardedness.

------------------

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:22 am

< 688h/688H 104p/104P 226v/226V >
< > shout free uncursed grolantor scepter to the first person that tugs me at my house
You shout 'free uncursed grolantor scepter to the first person that tugs me at my house'

< > s
A Large Wooden House
Room size: Large (L:50 ft W:50 ft H:20 ft)
Exits: -N
Corpse of Xebes is lying here.
Corpse of Ebgar is lying here.
Corpse of Diac is lying here.
------

5 minutes later:

------

688h/688H 104p/104P 226v/226V >
< > drop grolantor
You drop the holy scepter of Grolantor.

< > l
A Large Wooden House
Room size: Large (L:50 ft W:50 ft H:20 ft)
Exits: -N
A glowing scepter is tucked away here.
Corpse of Xebes is lying here.
Corpse of Ebgar is lying here.
Corpse of Diac is lying here.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:56 am

Corth,

I can assure you that much the same happens to all the Stronmaus hoods we get.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:10 am

So don't use it. It's not like Clouds is in desperate need of more spanky eq. Image

*duck*

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B>Corth,

I can assure you that much the same happens to all the Stronmaus hoods we get.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

snicker.. same with us neutrals...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:47 am

Correct me if I'm wrong(I know ya'll will) but shouts cannot be heard from indoors. Corth, perhaps this is another reason that your Scepter wasn't grabbed up.

/sszan
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:00 am

Read the log closer. I shouted from 1n of the house Image

nice try!

edit: not long after I posted this I checked back at the house and someone had nabbed it. I wasnt saying the item is worthless.. maybe nobody knew which house is mine Image

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-17-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>With the bits on this item is makes it by far one of the most worthless items to clerics. Duh! Thats about all I can say is, Duh!

Well funny how almost every evil wields one then huh? It's obviously WORTHLESS. Cough write your own zone if you don't like it cough.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:18 pm

Yeah Corth, and make sure when you do, you put stupid bits on eq that heavily favors goodies, and is antievil.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Well funny how almost every evil wields one then huh? It's obviously WORTHLESS. Cough write your own zone if you don't like it cough.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I can hopefully shut your repetative ass up, I have sent zone info to cyric and am hopeing to start my zone soon. Suck it! Huzzah!

------------------

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:30 pm

Oh, and since they are so uber and everything, I have one for trade pass the word...shouldn't take more than a day since every evil cleric weilds or would wield one...hook it up!

------------------

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:01 pm

Well personally I like the stronmaus hood. Go good align clerics! Image

If you look at it that way however, theres a spanky item for good align, and evil align clerics in clouds. About time the neutral wusses get shafted Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B> So I can hopefully shut your repetative ass up, I have sent zone info to cyric and am hopeing to start my zone soon. Suck it! Huzzah!

Be sure to learn how to write "repetative", "hopeing" and "cyric" before then.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:22 pm

Zing!

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Be sure to learn how to write "repetative", "hopeing" and "cyric" before then.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a lazy american, thats what spellcheck is for suckah! Huzzah!

------------------

Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:24 pm

<B> I am a lazy american, thats what spellcheck is for suckah! Huzzah!

I can't decide if Kifle is Mr.T or Shaft...

------------------
Disco

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:34 pm

So for clerics, Areas staff are only allowed to make +hp, + max_wis eq. For mages all that is allowed is +hp, +max_int eq, and for warriors hit/dam is all that is allowed? We can't deviate a little to give a little more variety? The fact that int does help clerics, (not as much as mages) but int helps everyone who casts, period. The scepter is neither useless, or stupid. Limiters are put on eq based on what the eq is, how hard, and the areas makers whim. Obviously this scepter wouldn't be wielded and used by good aligned people, just like evil aligned people wouldn't wear a hood dedicated to stronmaus. Just the way it is, and not all eq stats are wrong, just because they deviate from the norm.

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:48 pm

Kelemvor has said it, luckily I'm in nyc or I woulda responded earlier! The scepter is awesome, and whether you need int or wis or max or my bum in your face, items differ.

Btw, rokub wears like 1 piece of +max_wis eq nowadays because its not so important, and his int is still not 100, 94ish I believe with the scepter on, so the scepter actually helps me search betta WOO! Wis. is 100. +hps is for the masters thaz how it goes!

For the benefit of the greatest orc shaman ever created the scepter works well, and now that you have heard my words!

O my! Wank!

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kelemvor:
<B>So for clerics, Areas staff are only allowed to make +hp, + max_wis eq. For mages all that is allowed is +hp, +max_int eq, and for warriors hit/dam is all that is allowed? We can't deviate a little to give a little more variety? The fact that int does help clerics, (not as much as mages) but int helps everyone who casts, period. The scepter is neither useless, or stupid. Limiters are put on eq based on what the eq is, how hard, and the areas makers whim. Obviously this scepter wouldn't be wielded and used by good aligned people, just like evil aligned people wouldn't wear a hood dedicated to stronmaus. Just the way it is, and not all eq stats are wrong, just because they deviate from the norm.

No Kelemvor, you can make whatever you want, its just that clerics only WANT max wis and hps eq, mages only want int and hps, warriors want hit/dam ac and hps as well as prots and saves so just make tons and tons of spanky tank eq! Also i think it is unfair to say an evil wouldnt wear eq that names eq in favor of a god of opposite alignment, as it could be done as taunting, spite, or just merely to reap the benefits of the power of it. As a worshipper of malar, id wear some eq that worshipped one of the druid gods, because it is a trophy that shows i killed a follower of that god to get it. Its like killing a druid and then wearing their face as a mask for a while, to show all the other druids what happens to them when i see them Image And no, i wont be expecting any wells in the near future.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Udor says 'con doesnt do shit'
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B>
Originally posted by rylan:
*nod* Corth. 35hps for a !drop wep is pretty darned nice.. too bad I can't wield it :P</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Making it evil only makes it worthless, where's the good aligned version of it? Yet another reason to NOT be a good aligned cleric sheesh.

Come to the darkside. I will finally know what the devine belssing message is!

Toarn

------------------
Ythera ASSOC:: 'I killed santa- he's an elf'
Nibbil group-says 'is it bad to pass up booty cause you feel like mudding?'
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:44 pm

<B> So I can hopefully shut your repetative ass up, I have sent zone info to cyric and am hopeing to start my zone soon. Suck it! Huzzah!

The more I hear of Kifle, the more I am led to believe that she has genitals that "dangle." Oh well, be that as it may, I still love ya Kifle. Sorry I gave away that gear you wanted as a gift - Tis the season!

Toarn

------------------
Ythera ASSOC:: 'I killed santa- he's an elf'
Nibbil group-says 'is it bad to pass up booty cause you feel like mudding?'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:06 pm

GROLANTOR (the Foe Crusher), Lesser Power, male, CE
Attributes: Hills, Strength, Feasting, Battle, Persecution, Hill Giants
Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Earth, Evil, Strength
Symbol: Wooden club
Typical Worshippers: Hill giants, ogres, ettins, warriors
Raiment: Skulls (on belt) and hide armor, dark brown clothing preferred.
Preferred Weapon: Club
Holy Days: No special days

One of the few items with an alignment restriction I can actually support because there's valid RP reasons behind it.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:09 pm

I tend to agree with shevarash... Egads!

Considering the amount of spiffy eq that comes from clouds, its difficult to complain about one item. I'd rather see people complain about certain zones that are just as difficult (if not more difficult) than clouds, which dont have a single item that could be considered as good as one of the many items found in clouds.

Clouds is my favorite zone btw. I'd be really disapointed if it were made more difficult to accomodate the eq there. Would much rather see items downgraded or moved to different places.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>GROLANTOR (the Foe Crusher), Lesser Power, male, CE
Attributes: Hills, Strength, Feasting, Battle, Persecution, Hill Giants
Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Earth, Evil, Strength
Symbol: Wooden club
Typical Worshippers: Hill giants, ogres, ettins, warriors
Raiment: Skulls (on belt) and hide armor, dark brown clothing preferred.
Preferred Weapon: Club
Holy Days: No special days

One of the few items with an alignment restriction I can actually support because there's valid RP reasons behind it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

STRONMAUS , Greater Power, male, N(G)
Attributes: Sun, Skies, Weather, Cloud & Storm Giants
Domains: Air, Good, Sun, Weather
Symbol: Lightning bolt from a silver-lined cloud
Typical Worshippers: Good cloud giants and storm giants
Raiment: Gold-trimmed white robes
Preferred Weapon: Hammer

Same here. Image

------------------
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:31 am

hah! Thats right, my stronmaus hood is from a greater power, while that grolantor scepter is linked to a lesser power. Good > Evil :P
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
hah! Thats right, my stronmaus hood is from a greater power, while that grolantor scepter is linked to a lesser power. Good > Evil :P</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always found it weird that the god of Orcs (Gruumsh One-Eye) was a full power, over Vaprak (Trolls) and Grolantor.

Oh no, what have I done. This is just INVITING a Rokubububub response Image

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:47 am

My point is that max_int to cleric = max_pow to warrior. Max stats are great and when you design an item for a specific class you usually want to give it stats that will matter to that class. This item, in part, has failed to do so, which is why I stand by my original post as to why it is retarded and poorly designed.

Yes, int is semi-useful to clerics, but the main stat is wis. I don't know that many clerics that intend to roll their intelligence high enough to facilitate max_int. This item becomes even more useless when the cleric gets +max_wis orbs because we all know a cleric hitting in a group is nothing more than humerous. I think the air orbs might only be 32hps? So the scepter has them beat by what 3hps? So you are going to tell me all evil clerics would rather wield this than hold a max_wis orb? That is silly at best.

And don't even try to give me that item flexibility crap. That is one of those things that is there, but, given the current limitations on eq stats, is a worthless freedom. I could be flexible in my zone and make a warrior only bracelet that is +max_pow and procs time stop, but wtf good would it to them? Would probably be useful to, lets say, a squid or a chanter? In this case the almighty flexibility was used but for obviously retarded reasons.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 12-17-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:35 am

fyi air orbs are 30hps.. silly rogue :P

evil clerics can still wield the scepter and hold one maxwis orb
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:16 am

Which would only damage my argument by an insignificant amount...5hps. I just want to know what the zone creator was thinking, honestly.

------------------

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:07 pm

well actually I don't mind max_int eq as a cleric. I already have about 115 wis, so some int eq is kinda nice and 5hps is a nice bonus too.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:49 pm

dontcha think if it was max wis instead of max int itd be too good to come from clouds? More hps than the orb, and you can attack with it, sounds kinda balanced without +max_anything.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Udor says 'con doesnt do shit'
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:37 pm

Depok has a high enough int to benefit from +max_int and I rolled it on purpose. If you look at the skill list you will see many useful skills fall under the intelligence area for a cleric/shaman.

I do agree that + max_wis would have made more sense but then again I am holding two nebulas at the present time.

Not sure why any cleric would want to actually wield a weapon. My goal is to get my hit/dam as low as possible as I do NOT want to hit a shielded mob under any circumstances.

I think my bludgeon skill is around 20.

Depok
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>dontcha think if it was max wis instead of max int itd be too good to come from clouds? More hps than the orb, and you can attack with it, sounds kinda balanced without +max_anything.

Yeah, I would think it would be too good to come from clouds. Honestly, i think half the stuff from clouds is too good. I am not asking for it to be changed, I just wanna know why. Being able to hit with it is more of a negative to me rather than a positive. Clerics don't get globe in zones. When you do hit a mob with globe you just lost that 3hps+ that the orb does not give you, so the hps and the fact that you can hit becomes a negative and moot in 90% of zones.

Depok,

What is the reason why you hold nebulas? Because for those that are not lucky enough to go to smoke invasion and win the orbs twice have only 2 options, 3 if you are evil. Nebula, orb of power, grolantar scepter. The first two are obviously designed around mages. The third was just poorly designed. If you had smoke invasion orbs would you hold those instead, more than likely. Secondly, do you even have a high enough int to facilitate that max_int? Would you have the same amount of int if the nebula was just +int rather than +max_int?

The whole point I am trying to make is that, when you create an item giving it a narrow bit range, it would be a good idea to keep that bit range in mind when giving it stats. It seems to me that this person put the max_int to keep it on par or just a tad better than a nebula rather than design a nice item for evil clerics. Would it be unblananced if it where 32hps -2svbr or -1svbr? I wouldn't think so. Would it be more useful? 10x more.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 12-18-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B> No Kelemvor, you can make whatever you want, its just that clerics only WANT max wis and hps eq

Its like killing a druid and then wearing their face as a mask for a while, to show all the other druids what happens to them when i see them Image And no, i wont be expecting any wells in the near future.

Maxint eq does help druids. I know this to be true. The trophy idea works as long as the immortal who imbued the item with power didn't take pains to deny it to his enemies.

------------------
Shevarash responds to your petition with 'You are the wind beneath my wings.'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”