Psionic Lag

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Kegor
Sojourner

Psionic Lag

Postby Kegor » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:58 pm

After rolling and playing a squid for a while... and watching other squids die from the lag countless times.. I can't help but comment on this. I think the lag on psionic attacks should be changed the way bash was. Allowing for free movement after useage of a skill... but not allowing for spamming attacks. Instead you would see a message along the lines of.. You haven't focused your mind for another attack yet. Thanx for reading.. Image

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaznolg:
After rolling and playing a squid for a while... and watching other squids die from the lag countless times.. I can't help but comment on this. I think the lag on psionic attacks should be changed the way bash was. Allowing for free movement after useage of a skill... but not allowing for spamming attacks. Instead you would see a message along the lines of.. You haven't focused your mind for another attack yet. Thanx for reading.. Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh sure. Ultra, flee, wait til delay clears, back into room, ultra, flee.

Compare them to spells, not skills like bash. They're not in the same category. And keep in mind that bash *does* lag you, just not as long as you can't bash for.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:53 pm

hrmm.. i'm not typically lagged after my spells (except for nightmare.. puke). of course, i have chant times, unlike squids. but i can always abort and flee if im in trouble.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:44 am

I don't see UB flee being too effective of a strategy for squids to solo since they get owned while tanking.. flesh armor not being good enough protection to sustain the repetative rounds of taking 1 round at a time. But anyhow.. how about a comprimise somewhere in between there then? For instance.. reduce the lag to say a little less than half a round of combat wise and then apply the message deal when you try to psi attack again too early.

This would not make squids any more powerful than they are now. It would merely smooth thier game play and disable the deadly stacking of commands. Stacking is not only dangerous for the squid but also makes it very easy to bot and not pay attention to what you are doing.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:20 am

Stacking of commands is something else entirely. You realize, of course, that commands like shieldpunch and charge can be stacked?

Giving a message when you can use your abilities again might make more sense.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:22 am

I just don't like being frozen solid constantly. Why should I be paralized for doing what I do?

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaznolg:
I just don't like being frozen solid constantly. Why should I be paralized for doing what I do?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being paralyzed or frozen has entirely different, more drastic consequences. This is a lag, just like many, many other skills in the game.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:22 am

making squid skills lag like bash would so rock. i dont see any problems leaving it the way it is either.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:43 pm

Controling that much power, power beyond mortal reasoning, is taxing. While not exactly fun that we have a waiting period after using it, it is nonetheless neccessary to keep us in check, lest we take our powers and overthrow the mud.

I don't want a spammy message telling me everytime I can use my powers again. That implies we'd get it after every skill usage, unlike the bash message which, odd enough, only comes after you use bash. Most of the skills already have a message when activated, then barely a couple seconds of lag, and then add another message after that? Too much.

Aside from my power trip in my first paragrah, I do like the idea of being able to do simple things like communicate and not get left behind after a fight (that is VERY annoying). Fleeing would be helpful too, and like Jaznolg said, the hit and run technique wouldn't work so well.. especially if you left like 1 or 2 second lag just so the mobs can get a round in to kick my ass. My ass can't take much kicking...

------------------
Tog Vicious
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:58 pm

i wouldnt think the fllee thhing would be ussed to solo (bet it could) but more to stay outside for half the ffght against that peskyy dragon?

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:51 pm

I'd like squids to be able to make a check for half lag. After all, casters have qc.

------------------
Touk says 'know you not I am Touk, slayer of stupid giants?'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:11 am

nice idea mori! though certainly not at a high success rate as QC obviously... call it psionic mastery or something...

------------------
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:29 pm

*Bump*

I still think this is a very good idea. Squids in constant lag is no good for anybody.. especially the squid. It makes no sense that you would be able to stack commands in that manner. As I said above.. it would smooth the gameplay of the class and not change any of the power issues. As it is now.. it seems quite defunctional and untrue to what.. in my mind.. my character would be able to do. Just consider it please. Image
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:10 pm

Perhaps if they had UB and others have **'s just to save time. Sure it isn't realistic but lagging after doing it isn't realistic either. Mages deal with it. I hope that's a good idea that it'd be inverted that you get ***'s UNTIL you can move/respond again. Like a predicted lag. The stronger the psi ability being used, the more *'s you get, but at least you'll be more informed. And the 'abort' idea is great. Squids are soooo smart in they way they're to be used, there's no 'real' lag for they are the infinite int that a human could only dream of. lagging them to me is fair, but either the post **'s or just give UB casting time like inferno. ex. You're concentrating on total destruction! You're too busy to try doing that now! etc. Just have an abort option too. I don't like squids cuz when I grouped with her (it Image ) she'd always die to stacking/lag..whatever it was. They seem to level slower than any other class too. (?) Seems that way!
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:04 pm

well, *****'s wouldnt be that big an issue, i mean, it is "ultra" blast, maybe it takes some time to get all your power together,

just make it all !fail

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
making squid skills lag like bash would so rock. i dont see any problems leaving it the way it is either.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAZ!! where are yah man?
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:31 am

I like the idea of *'s after skill use to check your lag, but if warriors and rogues have check the end of lag the hard way (spamming glance, or whatever) then it isn't really fair for psionicists to have it easy.

Also, I'm against lowering the lag duration, it's fine as it is.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:47 am

I would just like to see lag reduced significantly.. while at the same time not being able to use your psionic skills for the same duration of what the current lock you up solid lag is right now. *ultrablast* 8 second lag *ultrablast* 8 second lag. Psionic powers are meant to be better than spell casting in the way that you get to project them instantly. If your mind is going to completely shut down after doing this for 8 seconds.. I really don't see whats better about it. If nothing else I would like to be able to have the presence of mind with my superior intellect to run away if I am gunna die. That is all.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”