guilded chars alts and the assoc channel

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Turxx
Sojourner

guilded chars alts and the assoc channel

Postby Turxx » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:30 pm

would it be so hard to let all your chars use acc once one is guilded?
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:42 pm

Apparantly it is since I think every guilded player has asked for this :>)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:31 pm

Shevy has met his match, assoc code!

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:31 pm

Assoc code group-says 'I > Shev'

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:32 pm

I wrote the assoc code, dork. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:12 pm

I just thought ACC was one of the perks of guilding a character. You don't have to guild any of them, you know...

I know that's the kind of answer most people hate, but isn't this one of those 'give 'em an inch, they'll want a mile' types of things? They gave us a really nice channel to use with our guilded characters, without the intention that all characters should be able to access it. Yes, it would be nice to be able to use it with all your characters, but maybe they have their reasons to keep it the way it is. One that I can think of would be the encouragement this system gives to playing one character more often as a main, which would get better known and recognizable within the community.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, because if my alts could use ACC I would probably play my alts more. I can see reasons why they might not want to institute that kind of use, however, and I'd rather have the ACC channel for my main than no ACC channel at all, so I can live with that.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:37 pm

Erm...

It's either add this code, or those of us that want this, unguild a character every single time we change characters, and reguild.

It's frightfully annoying as it is.

And here's the rebut: You don't have to use the multi-character ACC code either. So if it was put in, noone would twist your arm to make it less special to you by having multiples of your characters on it.

It's nothing earth shattering, it's just spammy to the gods to see characters getting swapped every time. And it happens a lot in my guild. I personally don't care about doing it this way, it works, but it's cumbersome and spammy.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:20 pm

Assoc code group-says 'I wrote Shev, you dork'

------------------
Molor group-says 'come mem east and get me off ? :)'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:41 pm

Ashiwi,

I think you make a good point that the immorts might want to encourage people playing one character. On the other hand, I have to agree with Malacar that whatever utility that goal has is undermined when people guild different characters depending upon who they are playing at any given moment.

I would also point out that we have a very mature playerbase (as in we have been playing a long time, duh!) whose interest can only be held by playing different classes. I think that it is probably in the mud's best interest to accommodate such needs by keeping such people active within the community through a broader ACC channel.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 01-03-2003).]
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:51 am

Okay no acc for alternates, but rip up the code base so we can have multiple characters under one name! Log on <Character name> and choose to play your troll warrior, human paladin, etc....

Decreases the multiplay and increases name recognition/social qualities of the mud. Negative would be twinking zones by changing classes in the middle. Solution: Flag the class that a person is playing and allow that flag to only be changed if they are at an inn.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:39 am

Marforp,

Interesting idea and worthy of discussion and debate.. but when was the last time such a radical change was implemented into the mud? It just doesn't happen...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:30 am

muah - they did that on duris and i got to be a god for a few weeks through a bug. i smited taranno with my 30k hp elf assassin
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:14 pm

Since it sounds like most people around here use zMud...

Why don't you just use zChat?
It would fix the problem without bugging the immorts about it all the time.
To be honest, there are more important things to fix first, isn't there?
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lalisa:
<B>Since it sounds like most people around here use zMud...

Why don't you just use zChat?
It would fix the problem without bugging the immorts about it all the time.
To be honest, there are more important things to fix first, isn't there?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for those that don't use Zmud?

Oh, let's use another program to link them all together, etc etc.

It's just more windows to pay attention to.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to code, and it'd greatly help the higher level players.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:31 am

I know alts on assoc would be a GREAT help when it's guild day and yer stuck as your alt cause yer not gona get to guild yer cleric til 48 and yer too lazy to xp :P

GuildieX group-says 'use assoc for guild business'
You group say 'bah u SUCK .. i CAN'T use assoc :P'

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gyrx:
<B> And for those that don't use Zmud?

Oh, let's use another program to link them all together, etc etc.

It's just more windows to pay attention to.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to code, and it'd greatly</B> help the higher level players.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I should have been more clear. This works for all that uses a client.
No, it's not another window to pay attention to. Chat works in your client mud window. This is the beauty of it.
But hey, I could care less. I was merely suggesting a solution to your problems Image

It won't happen again, sorry about that.
*goes back to lurker mode*
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:59 pm

*laugh*

I'm sorry if i'm words came off as offensive Lalisa, suggestions are always welcome.

I'm just getting irked by the lack of immortal feedback when so many players have given great reasons why this would be a great help for the players.
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:23 pm

No offense taken Image

But if irritates so many and the immorts have reasons not to do anything, then deal with the problem yourself.
I mean, instead of continue to be annoyed, then do something.

But best of luck with it.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:54 pm

Awhile back I wrote a triggerset to route assoc chat to guild alts through tells... it was pretty complex, mainly because I dont know how to do it the easier way (each char had their own set), but its not really something thats handled well on the client side, people go linkdead, invis, and I log off :P This would be a really good thing to have mud-side.

g

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:04 am

I'll consider it.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>I'll consider it.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for giving it some thought shev, u da best Image

g

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:17 am

Could we bribe you with something?

Like first born children? Or possibly a nightly romp with Pinky for a month?

------------------
Baikalisan Terrorforge- Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth

Ellana tells you 'i WISH he was the energizer bunny. all i'd need to do is take out the batteries and duckpond him'
Kribble
Sojourner

Postby Kribble » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:02 am

Let the reward for 50th level be guilding an alt? Let only 50th level alts be guilded? Figure out a way to limit the guilding of alts so that only seriously played alts get guilded.

Thoughts?

-Kribz

------------------
Friends > All.
-Cap'n Touk
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:40 am

Why is everyone looking for some additional reward for when you get level 50?

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kribble:
<B>
Let the reward for 50th level be guilding an alt? Let only 50th level alts be guilded? Figure out a way to limit the guilding of alts so that only seriously played alts get guilded.

Thoughts?

-Kribz

I would probably end up unguilding my shaman, guild my 50 ranger as my prim, and then alt-guild my 44 shaman so they could both be in...

...it should just work like storage,

altacc access character password
altacc close
etc

g

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gerad (edited 01-06-2003).]
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:58 am

thanks shev
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>I'll consider it.

right on shev, thanks man
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:14 am

*cheer*

p.s. zChat is nice, but has it's issues. First you have to open up a port on your firewall. Second, many people mud on dynamic IPs. This doesn't work well with the way zChat is setup.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:14 pm

<B>I'll consider it.

omg

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

for the consideration =)

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:28 am

Shevlog:

A popular coding problem hulks menacingly.
con code
> Do you feel lucky, punk?

/end Shevlog.

------------------
Toarn group-says 'my lvl 50 buffer has officially been Mori-fied.'
Shevarash tells you 'you want to mud marry me? *scratch*'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Why is everyone looking for some additional reward for when you get level 50?

What's wrong with wanting some final reward for acquiring the highest level on the game? Why are you opposed to such a reward?

------------------
-Yayaril
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B> What's wrong with wanting some final reward for acquiring the highest level on the game? Why are you opposed to such a reward?

One reason would be that major issue with everquest at the moment, which is that those who dont have a massive ammount of time to invest, may never be able to acheive said reward.

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B> What's wrong with wanting some final reward for acquiring the highest level on the game? Why are you opposed to such a reward?

I didn't *say* I was opposed to any such reward... though in fact i am Image. There is a final reward for acquiring the highest mortal level. Its x amount of hps, plus another spell if your a caster. If your a necro you get the opportunity to complete a re-mort quest. Shit, 90% of the regular players on this mud probably have at least one level 50 character. Does that make everyone so special that they deserve something extra for their level? If level 50 isn't good enough on its own, why do people bother to torture themselves in stupid exp zones to get it?

Corth

edit: My apologies for going COMPLETELY off-topic. will try not to do it again. Image
------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 01-13-2003).]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
<B> One reason would be that major issue with everquest at the moment, which is that those who dont have a massive ammount of time to invest, may never be able to acheive said reward.

i'm not 100% sure on this:

one major problem of EQ is that raising the level limit hosed the old world zones. people just skip them b/c the expansion zones are better xp in many cases. also the loot is better. if the level limit was raised here, it would take less and less people to do stuff. twinking is already as bad as it is now (but oh so fun).

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”