massmorph

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

massmorph

Postby Zoldren » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:10 pm

MASSMORPH
Spell.

Area of effect: Group
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: No
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Illusionist 9th
Type of spell: Illusion

This powerful spell spins an illusion about the caster's entire group,
making them appear to be an assortment of objects natural to the
environment, such as a cluster of trees outdoors, or a tapestry indoors.
<B>While protected by the illusion, the group can not be seen or attacked
by enemies.</B> However, any group member initiating combat or movement will
render the illusion ineffective.

does not work, if ya get time to look at it would be awesome

thanks

------------------
MoM-D
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:15 pm

How does it not work exactly? Makes it a little easier to find the problem when I know what I'm looking for, pinky. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:20 pm

It doesn't work on already aggro mobs who track or dim to the group.

------------------
-Yayaril
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>It doesn't work on already aggro mobs who track or dim to the group.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

or mobs w/archery or summon

also mobs that are NOT agro to the group previously still shoot/wander in and agro group members etc etc

hence i left it a blank statement that it doesnt work :P

------------------
MoM-D
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:00 am

Massmorph shouldn't work on mobs that are already aggro you. Thats essentially a group mislead and its too powerful.

Mobs that are summoning you are already aggro to you, so massmorph shouldn't work in that context.

Archery mobs like the archers in scorps shouldn't be able to shoot at you while you are morphed if you are not aggro to them. If that happens, its a bug.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Massmorph shouldn't work on mobs that are already aggro you. Thats essentially a group mislead and its too powerful.

Mobs that are summoning you are already aggro to you, so massmorph shouldn't work in that context.

Archery mobs like the archers in scorps shouldn't be able to shoot at you while you are morphed if you are not aggro to them. If that happens, its a bug.

Corth

it does,
and i agree

------------------
MoM-D
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:26 am

Ok, I'll look into it.

------------------
</B>
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:04 pm

Thanks

------------------
MoM-D
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:08 pm

Whatever happened to the illusionist spell that temporarily teleports the whole group to some pocket dimension?

That looked really cool during alpha. Was that yanked for balance reasons or is the quest not imped yet?

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:01 pm

The former, Nokie.

It is...pretty damn powerful. Image

------------------
</B>
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:18 pm

Well... hrmph... woulda been nice to have that shown somewhere. I've always been under the impression that the spellquest wasn't in yet and have been eagerly anticipating it :P

Any chance we could get another spell to replace it? Or that the spell could be put in at some point?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:47 pm

Shev, I recently asked kia about it and he said that the dim shift issue was still being discussed. I agree that it is too powerful. However, now that it has been officially jettisoned, can we consider some sort of replacement 10th circle spell? Similar to sandblast replacing sandstorm for invokers? An area spell, even one slightly weaker than phantasmal blades, would make sense I think. Shadow burst often won't kill ants and forest animals. That leaves us with one useful area damage spell.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:54 am

I've been thinking about it, yes. I'm not sure that an area damage spell is the way to go though. I'd be more inclined to replace it with some sort of utility/debuff/transportation spell. Any suggestions? Image

------------------
</B>
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:12 am

How about 'Mass Relocate'

Only for the totally crazy Image

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:07 pm

I think it would be cool to see illusionists get some sort of 'illusionary terrain' spell, that lets you temporarily change an area to whatever type you want.. so for example you have an annoying !ground room, you could make it have ground. Too powerful maybe? I dunno

Or how about something like a confusion spell.. makes a mob think other mobs around it are PCs and attack them instead, or has the mob stand there not knowing what to do for a short amount of time.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:04 pm

Hrm... how about something like:

(first two are in the same vein as greater realms)

Shroud of Illusion
- self only, out of combat
- casts true sight, invis, nondetect, displace, mislead, mirror image, camoflauge

or

Curse of Illusion
- target, agressive
- casts scarlet, shadow flux, rainbow pattern, maybe at improved effectiveness or greater chance of landing?

or

Simulacrum
- pretty straightforward.. same as the regular doppleganger but um.. useful :P Up the damage, make it work as actually intended in the doppleganger help file? :P innate globe or something too (since pretty much all the high end mobs are shielded and the enchanters would smite me for giving them more targets.. plus they'd die to the first cloud or breath anyway)

or

Group Displace
- self explanatory

Hrmm... can't think of any more offhand. But what do you all think of these suggestions? I'm personally kinda against another damage spell, but thats just me Image Leave the damage to the invokers!

My personal favorite is the simulacrum.
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:59 pm

nonexistence:
Thought on this would be to make a group-member last in the order in which mobs switch to. Caveats: Make it not stack with stone/scales, and only affect one player at a time, like embodiment. It could also add an invisibility affect or something of the like as well.

Something like this would be useful but not really unbalancing I would think. It's hard to justify any real significant upgrades to the illusionist class after seeing how powerful it is.

Would another thought for changing the class perhaps be to re-arrange the circles of a spell or two? Maybe something that doesn't get used in combat could be given a slight boost and put in 10th circle to complement nightmare. Would some people look at it as a downgrade? Probably, but oh well. Maybe move mislead to 10th circle and increase duration by a bit? !sure, that might be a bit much.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>The former, Nokie.

It is...pretty damn powerful. Image

Ya, I remember reading it and boggling mightily.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:53 pm

I'd like to see a spell that makes mobs unable to leave a room. I think it could be made in such a way to mesh with the theme of the class. Perhaps an illusion which makes the target think that walls are placed around him. I'm sure there are balance issues involved, and if anyone can point some out that would be great. The big one that I see is that fights againt groups of mobs that track could be done more easily. This could be balanced by giving the spell a short duration (like one minute or less). It would be enough to give the group a breather to during a large fight, but not really enough to do the entire fight in runs. It could be done in a such a way that the every time a mob gets hit with this spell, he has a higher chance of figuring out its an illusion. So maybe after the second time, he would have a 90% chance of seeing through the illusion the next time he is effected by the spell. This would certainly keep the spell from being used to twink large groups of tracking mobs with a small group.

The spell would be useful in other ways with less twink potential. It could be useful in keeping !bash rogue mobs from fleeing. And it would definately be really useful for the arena.

It should also be pointed out that this spell is different from other ideas where an illusionary wall could be placed where an exit is to keep mobs from wandering in. That would be way way too twinkable. Instead this spell places the illusionary wall around the mob keeping him from moving out.

Your thoughts?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:07 pm

I gave it some thought and realized a few other advantages of such a spell.

As I described above, it accomplishes basically what dim shift was meant to accomplish, but with less twink potential. It has a lower duration, a chance of failure, and doesn't protect you from other mobs that are in the zone that can wander into you or track to you if aggro. It is not something you could every rely upon for a fight because it would always have a chance of failure (say.. 20% chance of seeing through the illusion the first time it is used). Dim shift, on the other hand, would be !fail and could be relied upon and allow you to bring less people to the zone. With the spell i brought up, you would have to bring the same amount of people as previously, but you would have something to use in the case of an emergency that could perhaps turn a losing battle into a winning one. I can't think of anything that is overpowered about such a spell, but i would welcome any arguments to the contrary.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:49 pm

wouldnt a super high cast time on dim shift also accomplish the same thing? ie avoid twinkage, yet protect group from wandering mobs

------------------
MoM-D
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:37 pm

a super long chant time on dim shift would take away its effectiveness for emergencies while retaining its effectiveness for planned twink operations...

if wandering mobs is your concern, illusionists already have massmorph. They dont need another spell for that.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 10-01-2002).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:43 pm

You complete your spell...
Ixixalax's entire group slowly morphs into a pile of moss covered rubble!

first round they fired they kept fireing
< 825h/655H 394p/403P 137v/137V >
< >
From the east, someone fires a barbed arrow at & that flies wild and strikes the wall.
From the east, someone fires a barbed arrow at & that flies wild and strikes the wall.

< 825h/655H 394p/403P 137v/137V >
< >

------------------
MoM-D
Originally posted by Baikalisan:
There once was a girl named Pinky
Who liked to flash and get kinky
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
And made us all squirm like a slinky!
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:24 pm

The swirling chaos glides in from the west.

< 676h/676H 403p/403P 138v/138V >
< >
The illusion covering your group is shattered!

< >
Trix'K'Crit starts casting a spell called 'stone skin'.

< > A Sandy Dune
Exits: -N -E -S -W
*The swirling chaos stands, inches above the surface here, fighting Rrimis.(Red Aura)
Rrimis (Yuan-Ti) stands here, fighting the swirling chaos.(Red Aura)

and yet again

can somoene PLZ look at this...
and NO neither of us where agro to him

------------------
MoM-D
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:49 pm

bump

------------------
MoM-D
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
I'd be more inclined to replace it with some sort of utility/debuff/transportation spell. Any suggestions? Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohh ohh I know!

How about an illusionist spell that transports the entire group to a pocket dimension for a certain period of time?! Image

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xebes:
<B>
nonexistence:
Thought on this would be to make a group-member last in the order in which mobs switch to. Caveats: Make it not stack with stone/scales, and only affect one player at a time, like embodiment. It could also add an invisibility affect or something of the like as well.

Something like this would be useful but not really unbalancing I would think. It's hard to justify any real significant upgrades to the illusionist class after seeing how powerful it is.

Would another thought for changing the class perhaps be to re-arrange the circles of a spell or two? Maybe something that doesn't get used in combat could be given a slight boost and put in 10th circle to complement nightmare. Would some people look at it as a downgrade? Probably, but oh well. Maybe move mislead to 10th circle and increase duration by a bit? !sure, that might be a bit much.

bump, this idea pwns.

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:30 pm

anything

------------------
MoM-D