Cleric Weapons

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:34 pm

Well actually our choices are really limited, especially as a good aligned human cleric. We're looking for something to have fun with. I know melee damage doesn't do much anyway, but at least it would be something for us to get a laugh about. Our offense damage spells, oh sorry, spell (full tickle) isn't worth casting in zone combat situations. I just see a trend with most high level quests, and that is there aren't any cleric items worth using. Especially for good align, because I see neutral as a cop-out. I'm not looking for some big uber new damage spell. I just want something to make it worthwhile to take advantage of the best melee capabilities of any caster class.
Zolth
Sojourner

Postby Zolth » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:45 pm

Ash,

I know that there is eq out there that upper the hit/dmg for Clerics. But seriously, how many level 30-40 (Not secondarys!) do you see wearing diamondines etc? Not that many. I want Clerics (new onces as old onces) to be able to variate their class and character from the all-healing person to somebody that sacrifices Hps for Hit/Dmg eq. I remember back in the old days when Tagad was wielding.. man that was funky.. Ok, that was an artifact and sorry if I got carried away.. But by giving Cleric (as well as all healing sub-classes the option of wielding and hitting SOME (not like a Ranger or a Warrior) we'd notice far more various sets of eq and every zone won't have the very same people doing it over and over again for the same piece of eq. (I'm thinking Eldritches/Malvolents etc. here.) but maybe we'd see healing sub-classes starting to bid on some Warrior/Ranger equip. thus giving the Warriors/Rangers the chance of accually winning a Eldritch and not be called greedy for secondary equip.

Skullsmasher/Rockcrusher isn't really avalible to the general public. They are hard to come by. What I'm looking for is - as you put it, Quote: "For the longest time I had one dagger which had a decent proc and was useable by me ... and daggers are what my class does." /Quote. a weapon for clerics that does the very same thing but not neccessary has to be level 50 super cleric equip. I want the new people (n00bs) to experience the wonders of procs as well as us higher leveled people do.

------------------
- "Every problem in the univers can be solved with Malacar, ducktape and potato chips.."
Ashemiem
Sojourner

Postby Ashemiem » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:37 pm

As Rylan said, we have the best melee capabilities of any caster class. There are some weapons for all ranges, but the mace of disruption is a limited effect proc, the crypts mace is just more damage which is spitting into a typhoon, and I can't remember offhand any other 1h bludgeon weapons that have a proc (and are clericable).

Well, the root from a pile of questing in GN has an effects proc. Skullsmasher/Rockcrusher proc is an effect, not just more damage. Personally I'd like to see weapons along those lines, as well as equipment that lets us utilize our melee capabilities while maintaining some balance of hitpoints. Yes it's having my pie and eating it too, but such is life :P

If you want even a single example of eq that accomplished both hp and hitability for midlevels, look at the tiny ruby ring. It can be done; that ring is specialized for rogues (though mages and clerics can use too).

Ashemiem Autumnmoon
Warrior-Priest of Corellon

------------------
Mplor group-says 'dugmaren must be very proud... he levels us up in smoke and de-levels us in muspelheim'
Grogu
Sojourner

Postby Grogu » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:53 pm

I dunno about you, but when I was leveling up, I was geared more like a warrior. The only reason I'm geared more like a mage (mass hps) is because I started realizing if I don't get more hp I'm gonna die in the crossfire -- 5 mobs casting clouds at the same time. And I did die. A lot.
In fact, I still die. A lot. Except now it's not from spells, it's from mobs dealing 400+ hp/hit.

Some of the better times I had playing a cleric are when a cleric and warrior aren't all that different. I was leveling up with a friend, and he didn't have double attack yet. We did about the same, yet there were vast differences - I could heal, he could bash, shield block, and parry. Together, we could beat up some mobs.

As we got higher, his damage output increased drastically, and mine pretty much stayed the same. I was shoved off into the cleric tide of "You heal, and keep tank healed. Nothing else." I don't have a skullsmasher, or rockcrusher (Oh, and by the way, not EVERY cleric can wield rockcrusher. Just the smart ones (Dwarves!)
And again, not EVERY cleric can wield Pahluruk staff. The fiery mace was fun, but that was while I was still looking like a warrior.

To be truthful, I see clerics as more healing/defensive than healing/offensive. If a cleric could use two shields and have a form of shieldblock, I'd throw my orbs into my baggie and wear two shields in a heartbeat. There's another chance that I don't get beat down when all the mobs switch to me because I'm a priest. If the switching were more evened out - they went after mages, rogues, or other warriors more often than 1/10 switches, I'd be all for more offensive -- new weapons, etc. As it is right now, I'd rather be able to withstand a round of a mob hitting me instead of dying as soon as a rescue fails or the warriors are rescuing someone else.

Plus, with the rescue, and rescue lag, it's not like clerics are in the battle the entire time like the hitters are. I've been in fights where I got rescued practically every freaking round and therefore, had so much rescue lag I couldn't heal the tanks, and still more things were switching on to me. I eventually died. I've never been that helpless in a fight with any other characters I play.

Oh, and as for the 1 round assist lag all of you who are trying to slam the clerics down - area spells pull us into combat more often than we assist. So there's not even lag for healing the tanks - we're right in the combat.. until the next round when we get rescued out of it. *roll*

Grogu

------------------
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit!" - Prof. H Hill
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by belleshel:
<B>I'm with amber on this one...
Melee damage in zones is so insignificant, whats the point? How is spending time on a class that should be casting most of the time worth it? To help twink an alt with easier solo exps? Image I don't see it as being much help in a zone (oh great why did you group rylan, he doesn't heal, he tries to kill with his 2 attacks a round). Far greater issues need to be addressed Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

both you finger pointers dont need them Image

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sundara:
<B> Because clerics aren't just "healers" clerics are fighters as well. So why not be able to use weapons and sheilds? Image HP gear is nice and useful, but as a "cleric" I like to appear of this class; especially since my character represents the God of War, Tempus. So I agree, we SHOULD have a wider selection of bludgeon weapons and shields for clerics. I dunno, I rather dress up what I represent, hence I dont use nebulas as most do, I wield my mace. *raises her mace in the air and ROARS* - I dont know if any of you have ever played 3rd edition AD&D; but even some clerics (depending which diety they worship) are allowed to even use swords. But I see this mud is based on 2nd. Image So I guess my statement about 3rd is null here. Image I

Hey - I think clerics should get some kind of bonus for worshipping dieties. A cool lil nifty package. For instance: If I worship Tempus, which I do, why not have the ability to wield a sword? *stare* Then again, I like to crush foes or bash em over the head with a bludgeon anyway. *BIG GRIN*

Sun</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

because a clerics primary job is to heal, those that dont think so are most likely the clerics whose groups gotta do alot of cr's

------------------
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikayla:
<B> because a clerics primary job is to heal, those that dont think so are most likely the clerics whose groups gotta do alot of cr's

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like...duh - And I do my job well taking care of the tanks whilst simultaneously wielding my mace. Image
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:59 am

2 things that weren't mentioned:

Surtur is also clericable for a reason, not just Divinity.

Shamans w/ a decent weapon... good lord I can't imagine what Dartan would do Image

Twinshadow

------------------
Kribble tells you 'everytime I've seen you die it was doing something cool or trying to save someone's ass... die away!'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zolth:
<B>Ash,

I know that there is eq out there that upper the hit/dmg for Clerics. But seriously, how many level 30-40 (Not secondarys!) do you see wearing diamondines etc?

..a weapon for clerics that does the very same thing but not neccessary has to be level 50 super cleric equip. I want the new people (n00bs) to experience the wonders of procs as well as us higher leveled people do.

So basically what you're looking for are diamondines that are easy for level 30-40's to get and high-powered cleric staves that can be gotten at low level? I know I must still be confused. Isn't that mace in the newbie zone near WD a clericable proccer? When I first heard the stats on it I about fell out of my chair, I couldn't believe they'd put something like that in what's a low-level specific zone, but I guess it does what you wanted.

So back to the original question. Exactly what is it you want to see? Talk stats, there are zone-builders watching. What do you think would be fun for a lower level cleric to get, but wouldn't be seriously over-powered? Sorry, diamondines would be seriously over-powered for a low level to be able to get. In order to have a proc you're going to sacrifice somewhere. If you're hitting regularly is a dam proc really worth the sacrifice of hit/dam? Maybe a GCD type proccer?

What's that silly mace thingie anyway? Both the chars I played normally were too high to go into that zone to check it out when it came in.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:57 am

Hmmmm, I don't think anything in the ear department needs work. Plenty of clerics wore TGs early in the wipe during exp and the addition of emerald earrings since then means that a +hit and HP earring is available that isn't in an incredibly hard zone. Of course, emeralds are rare but swapping out other earrings for TGs or their various equivalents isn't that big of a hit in the HP department for 4 hitroll.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Zolth
Sojourner

Postby Zolth » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:31 am

Tasan,

Have you played a cleric and gone to jot invasion to bid on Surtur?

Nm. I'm not trying to split hairs here.

Ash,

I'm not looking for a new set of diamondines that are wearable for 30-40's to get. I'm looking for more various things to get. Yes, at the start of the boot TG's were worn by clerics as well as hitters for the very same affect. I'm trying to come up with something that is decently hard to get but still would be an option for clerics after 31. Rockcrusher/Skullsmasher Surtur/diamondines aren't for 30-40's. Nor are they supposed to be all that frequent that _EVERYONE_ and their sister should be getting them. I want to see more items like TG's and maces (like the one you talked about, I totaly forgot about that one.)

Why not upper the dice on Cleric/Cleric-sub classes weapon a bit so that we accually can hit something? Or give it a proc that looks cool (Say cone of cold and ice storm?) This means that the weapon would be nice since it would have a proc, but it would also be vicious to the wielder since it has an area proc. A proc that dosen't really do damage but looks cool and can get you killed.

How about making something else then just "a mace"? More hammers and morningstars!

-It's to early in the morning for me to think so I'll get back to this thread when I wake up.. damn job, never got anytime to mud. grumble.

-Zolthorrific!

------------------
- "Every problem in the univers can be solved with Malacar, ducktape and potato chips.."
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:51 am

Tanks -all hp and ac to keep casters alive.
Priests -all HP to stay alive while healing
Mages -all HP to stay alive while nuking
Hitters -Hitdam

I can understand the sentiment that you dont have as many options to play with melee as youd' like, but hey..neither do the melee classes. The downgrade of all melee weapons has made pretty much all of them suck equally.. the majority of them are damage proccing 2d7 +2 +1 weapons.

2handers are the only fun weapons to wield anymore.. warriors have to wear shields to use their bread and butter skills, i think finding fun gear is up to you, rare or not.

------------------
Hibbidy group-says 'you using fkeys or buttons'
Tsaen group-says 'buttons'
Tsaen group-says 'f1 f2'
Ashemiem
Sojourner

Postby Ashemiem » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:44 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>Tanks -all hp and ac to keep casters alive.
Priests -all HP to stay alive while healing
Mages -all HP to stay alive while nuking
Hitters -Hitdam</B>

I don't know how to say this without it seeming more of a flame than I want it to be, but this above is an overly simplistic view of a player unwilling to work outside of the 'way things are done.' The 'way things are done' changes regularly, thanks in no small part to innovative players who develop new strategies and approaches to a problem.

Forcing everybody into the preconceived mold of how a class is 'supposed' to dress/behave is ridiculous. The skill sets were clearly designed to allow the cleric class to take advantage of some melee ability. That is a direction that some people who really play the class want to take it in.

------------------
Mplor group-says 'dugmaren must be very proud... he levels us up in smoke and de-levels us in muspelheim'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:52 pm

Everyone has their style, yssilk likes being a scaly, dark cleric with no hopes of ever getting laid since all that slithering rubbed his pipi off.

Ashemiem enjoys being dillusional in believing that elves matter in any sense, let alone physically. He likes to watch the pretty colors that flash from his hammer when his wussy elvenness summombs to that wine piss they drink.

Dornax likes to be a psudo wise servant of Moradin, dressing like a mage and occasionally pretending he knows how to use my hammer.

Those of us who follow other paths enjoy to play for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with any class wanting to wield a weapon, since there are plenty of ways for just about every class to wield and do damage/look cool. Orb of anni, palruhk, rockcrusher, skullsmasher, oblivion..tho i think wielding tanji is the most fun.

I'm all for clerics wielding weapons as i play kaln with plenty of hitdam...but then again I also wear green white black ansi only as well. I do enjoy proccing and beating on crap tho! battleclerics that truly play em rule all!

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B> Everyone has their style, yssilk likes being a scaly, dark cleric with no hopes of ever getting laid since all that slithering rubbed his pipi off.

Ashemiem enjoys being dillusional in believing that elves matter in any sense, let alone physically. He likes to watch the pretty colors that flash from his hammer when his wussy elvenness summombs to that wine piss they drink.

Dornax likes to be a psudo wise servant of Moradin, dressing like a mage and occasionally pretending he knows how to use my hammer.

Those of us who follow other paths enjoy to play for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with any class wanting to wield a weapon, since there are plenty of ways for just about every class to wield and do damage/look cool. Orb of anni, palruhk, rockcrusher, skullsmasher, oblivion..tho i think wielding tanji is the most fun.

I'm all for clerics wielding weapons as i play kaln with plenty of hitdam...but then again I also wear green white black ansi only as well. I do enjoy proccing and beating on crap tho! battleclerics that truly play em rule all!

gormal the master of goat love, wields bigger hammer to try and aleast scare the goats Image

if you want to be a battle cleric more power to ya, but if you just wanna be a healing cleric, more power to ya also Image cuz you get more of a hard time for being only a healing cleric then anything else Image

------------------
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zolth:
<B>Tasan,

Have you played a cleric and gone to jot invasion to bid on Surtur?

Nm. I'm not trying to split hairs here.

-Zolthorrific!

No, but I have given surtur out to a cleric. I've also given it to a rogue. I fail to see what you are talking about.

Twinshadow

------------------
Kribble tells you 'everytime I've seen you die it was doing something cool or trying to save someone's ass... die away!'
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:07 am

Ahhhhhhhhhh clerics and melee! What a fun subject!

~

Preface: I'm very tired while writing this.
Additional Note: Very, VERY tired.

I'm an old ghost so the current crop of players can choose to ignore my opinions if they so desire.

Should clerics wield weapons?
In my opinion, absolutly.

Should clerics receive special weapons to increase their damage output?
In my opinion, no - even though I was a cleric that wielded a weapon for a VAST majority of his career - and I will also remind you that I did indeed wield weapons long before receiving my artifact. (In fact Miax probably choose my particular artifact due to my tendancy to wield weapons)

The above statements may seem at odds with one another, but in all reality they are not. Obviously anyone playing a cleric knows that their primary roles are to heal, vit, and prot. Thats pretty much what you sign up for when you choose a cleric on Sojourn. In 95% of all situations there is no harm in attacking a target when the party is engaged. Your single swing (or double back in the day due to the abundance of haste items such as suedes and bodycloak) probably wont have a profound impact on the outcome of the battle but at least you are using all of your abilities to defeat your foes with your party.

Of course things were different 'back in the day'. It was extremely rare and considered fairly cheesy to flee out of an easy combat and mem while the battle ensued.

Having wielded a weapon under most circumstances I can attest that even with two attacks your damage output over the course of a fight will generally pale in compairson to the damage output by a warrior/monk/rogue/merc in a single round. Live with it, you are not a fighter and never will be.

While I would lobby against weapons that increase a clerics ability to do damage I would be in favor of weapons with interesting in class effects. An example of such a weapon would be the Black Star Mace which I created in Everquest. This weapon had a combat proc of a minor group heal (Group heal is a cleric thing in Everquest - I am well aware it is a shaman thing on Sojourn) Blindness, curse, and other status effecting spells are also good canditates for procs. Heck, in my experience a simple cool ansi message that pops up now and then during combat is enough to please most people.

-------------------------------------

Ah well, I'm tired and should head to bed so I'll quickly dig into my old logs and post some real cleric hitter gear for those interested...

Ashen gray streaks mingle with shaggy brown locks of hair above this mans
brawny shoulders. Sooty eyebrows highlight a set of piercing brown eyes,
while offsetting a pale complexion. His height is accentuated by a well
toned torso and each of his muscular limbs. A large brand of a flaming
sword rises from his right elbow to his shoulder.
Tagad appears to be Human and is in excellent condition.

<worn on head> the fiery crown of Surtur
<worn on eyes> a purple silk eyepatch
<worn in ear> a black opal stud earring
<worn in ear> a black opal stud earring
<worn on face> an antlered mask of Valhalla
<worn around neck> a polished bone collar (illuminating)
<worn around neck> a collar covered with glowing elven runes
<worn on body> ringmail emblazoned with a mace and skull emblem
<worn about body> an endurance cloak of the Isha warrior caste
<worn about waist> a belt encrusted with black sapphires
<worn on arms> a pair of blued steel vambraces
<worn around wrist> a strangely runed mithril bracelet
<worn around wrist> a strangely runed mithril bracelet
<worn on hands> a pair of taut ogrehide gloves
<worn on finger> an amethyst ring
<worn on finger> an amethyst ring
<wielding twohanded> the mystical warhammer of the barbarian kings
<worn on legs> taut leggings of flayed fire giant skin
<worn on feet> a pair of boots embroidered with a falcon

< 769h/769H 173v/173V >

This netted me 65 or so hitroll and around 20 damage roll - hasted, prot fire, with 769 hps unvitted.

Additionally: A Jot invasion was done specifically for me to get a Surtur as a cleric. Thanks Tavon/Vallon ^_^

Tagad Sigil
Deregan Blackhammer

------------------
Zolth
Sojourner

Postby Zolth » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:33 am

Now this is what I'm talking about. I've had you in mind when writing some of the threads about cleric weapons, Tagad. Thanks for posting and for me, a trip back to the old days watching your description.

pwned!

-Zolthorrific!-

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”