the sad thing about no pwipe

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

the sad thing about no pwipe

Postby Wobb » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:48 pm

With all these discussions about giving out quests and quest info, and helping people do quests for X-alt and whatnot, I wanted to bring up a point on an aspect of the mud I find truly disappointing.

There are many people out there whose drive to zone and group with people, is to come home with the reward of EQ.

Now that people have attained this goal and all of the EQ that requires big groups, there are less groups going on. People don't log on anymore because they don't want to do brass a 50th time. (and I don't blame them).

The mud has always been geared towards (i dare say) "forcing" people to group if they want to accomplish things. In some ways, I like this, it helps people meet and makes the game more fun. However, with all the eq everyone has, very few will group up to zone anymore, and I'm as guilty as the next person. I just can't justify zoning for 3 hours so someone can get an item for their alt.

So where does this leave us? Pwipe or EQ sinks. Or...just leaves us hanging. With no driving force (hey i need that amethyst rings lets go do brass) people just log on and chat, screw around, and then, occasionally if you are lucky, they do something big. Often times bigger than I care to do! Call me silly but I still like doing the plain old Brass, Jot, etc...but trying to make a group to go is next to impossible. However, if these people didn't have any eq...heh.

So i'm just curious, what is the deal with no pwipe? Seems very dug in, very rigid. As if there is something planned, but knowing these schedules it will never happen in my lifetime. hell you could pwipe now and still work on your "ultimate cool thingy" and people will still be stacked by the time you complete it.

Sure, Wobb is doing great right now, I love my stuff, but I'd give it all up and all the levels to be grouping with friends again.

Wobb

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Zolth
Sojourner

Postby Zolth » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:40 pm

I agree Wobb.

It's all about grouping with friends/hanging out with guildmates and learning to know other people. I'm getting bored with the hunt for equippment.

Zolth.. Almost and addict.

------------------
- "Every problem in the univers can be solved with Malacar, ducktape and potato chips.."
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:49 pm

If it's all about the fun and grouping with friends, why can't you ignore that eq ratrace/boredom and just group with friends?

I for one, am not bored. These newer zones have me intrigued, and the fact that I complain so much means I give a damn in some way I suppose.

It goes both ways, is what I am saying I guess.

I don't want a pwipe, and I fully applaud the decision not to. I don't think I could take leveling to 50 again and getting eq all over. Not sure I would come back and play as much as I do now.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wobb:
<B>
Now that people have attained this goal and all of the EQ that requires big groups, there are less groups going on. People don't log on anymore because they don't want to do brass a 50th time. (and I don't blame them).
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're playing at the wrong times. I zone almost every day.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:14 pm

do quests
finish quests that arnt finished
so they are doable
do things w/friends that you havent done b4 that is challenging or fun

i do these things and i have a blast.
i dont worry about guild politics, pissing the right person off.

i dont worry about eq

i just group w/friends and have fun. if we zone great, if we dont great, there is lots of things in this games, both quests/killing/zoning/exp that are fun if you are with the right group

example oosh and i smoosh sheot all the time and have a blast w/just the 2 of us, or maybe 4 if our rl friends are w/us...

hanging out >> !hanging

------------------
MoM-D
Originally posted by Baikalisan:
There once was a girl named Pinky
Who liked to flash and get kinky
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
And made us all squirm like a slinky!
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:03 pm

Yup Yup

I zone lots, Im level 50 with no alts and Stabby never gets bored. If im not zoning im roleplaying. Ya should try it sometimes its really fun and yad like how it further developes your character beyond level 50. Pwipes are not the answer. If ya want new characters role em and start from scratch with newbie gears for challenge. Other than that try rplay. Id really love to have a evil ally or two in this epic quest i been rplaying in.

Plus ya get to meet lotta peoples ya never thought.

Nilan

aka

Stabby
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:01 pm

P.S. Wobbles....if you're that bored...find a small clique of friends and duckpond/self-delete....I know this sounds crazy...but if it means that much to you...you could have an annual "wobbwipe" Image Leave the rest of us curmudgeons safe doing (or not in my case) zones at our whim, not out of necessity.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:21 pm

I'm pretty new around here as far as level 50s go. Infact, I'm a n00b! Because of this, I LOVE to zone, just about anywhere, I love to get called in to help out on quests or kill dragons or CR ppl in need and stuff like that. It's fun for RP and just fun in general. Now I will admit there are some ppl out there who hate doing zones because they don't need the eq, but for the most part I know a ton of n00b type mid-high levels who have worked their buts off on xp'in and want to go experience zones. Talk to them, Kanenan, Larem (not really new, but loves to zone and get Larem character better), Ulnd (not new, but loves to zone), Okina (same as Ulnd), Branthur (same as okina/Ulnd, I guess clerics just love to zone in general:P) ETC ETC, don't be offended if I didn't mention you:P So the zoners are out there for the most part. We maybe newish, but I think these ppl learn quickly and really enjoy the whole group zone experience. Funny thing is, I think spanks are funny and interesting. Now, I know wars have easy xp tables and it sucks to get that xp back for other classes and so an invoker or enchanter may not want to zone places where they don't need eq, but that's why they eq alts:P
I'm rambling here. What I'm trying to say is Mitharx got involved in the whole eq race thing. I got obsessed with trying to get my two amys and other stuff so I could look cool as Toarn or Thanuk or whoever is elite and forgot to have fun while zoning. Eq is important and a nice reward for a job well done, but if it's all you Zone for and so find zoning a miserable boring experience, start an alt, chat away OOC or rp or just regular mud style. Explore:P Dunno, there is a ton of stuff to do on the mud and I only started to hate the state of things here when I got obsessed with getting all the super eq in the game and stopped enjoying what I had done or what I could do. Just some thoughts. I haven't been here as long and maybe you're dead right. And while EQ isn't the main focus, pls don't eq/pwipe cause although my eq isn't awesome I like it:P And I collect little trinkets I find around that are interesting, I want to keep those too:P

Mitharx group-says 'Levitate is overrated'
Mitharx drops out of sight.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:40 pm

Like everything else, everyone gets something different out of Sojourn.

Sometimes I am just NOT in the mood to do anything but talk, RP, and shoot it on OOC with the people who love (to hate?) me. My roomie Sandy prolly thinks I am crazy because (at least to her) I seeminly burst out laughing randomly.

Other times, it is nose to the grindstone, all business, helping guildies, exp, questing, or zoning.

And dispite being widely disliked, I still love this place. Though I sometimes miss soj2, being a nobody, just a crazy paladin with 10 or 11 friends...

ps: Back then, I had no choice but to group with only my close freinds, as a paladin, I was all but useless to everyone else.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mitharx:
What I'm trying to say is Mitharx got involved in the whole eq race thing. I got obsessed with trying to get my two amys and other stuff so I could look cool as Toarn or Thanuk or whoever is elite and forgot to have fun while zoning. Eq is important and a nice reward for a job well done, but if it's all you Zone for and so find zoning a miserable boring experience, start an alt, chat away OOC or rp or just regular mud style. Explore:P Dunno, there is a ton of stuff to do on the mud and I only started to hate the state of things here when I got obsessed with getting all the super eq in the game and stopped enjoying what I had done or what I could do. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh grasshopper, you are learning Image The only way to get awesome eq is to say yes everytime anyone asks you to go anywhere. Then ppl start to recognize your name, leaders like the way you play and they start inviting you with consistency. Once you have consistency, you can go to the harder zones because you are confident in the abilities of the people around you. Also you begin to rack up favors by helping people with quests and rares, and that helps to convince them that the diamondine they just won for their 15th alt would look better on your ear when you tank the airship for them Image

I dont zone just for eq, if i did i woulda quit like 6 years ago. The way to do it is to go kill everything all the time, and know what items in particular you want. If you group with the same people all the time, and you dont bid on things you dont need for your alt when others need them for their prime, they will be more than willing to let you have that oh so elusive item when the time comes.

Or you could just put out like Toarn does.

either way
Toarn + Thanuk = 0 surtur, therefore
Toarn + Thanuk != l33t

LF: A worried valkyrie...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:21 pm

twink1 tells you 'Please trade me your Torin's. twink2 doesn't have one and now it's out of the game! He really deserves one!'

I have a surtur and I'm not l33t. I got lucky on the dice. For that, I have never won another item since.

We all know Toarn is elite w/out Surtur.
We all know Thanuk is elite even though he has a RL mullet and hangs out at 1w and likes the jets.

It's not about the eq as much as it is about the attitude. Thanuk had some great points in his message. (OMG did I say that?)

It's more about grouping and experience in zones than anything else. I'm pretty decent at sneaking and luring mobs. Last night in clouds I felt like a n00b. Those fogged rooms really humbled me, but at least I know how to navigate the place now. (thanks Dr. Jhorr and company)

I found that sunstone loaded last week, and I didn't need it. I gathered a group together (hard for me) by telling people "Sunstone loaded, gonna dice it, want in?" I didn't bid on it, and I diced it at the end. Mogr won and gave it to Turji. I'm sure either of them won't forget the exchange Image

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:21 am

i play to pwn when i am an evil. when i'm a goodie i play to see this:

Corth group-says 'ok luring'
You group-say 'yawn'
Corth has left the group.

<EMBED src="http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=140794" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="0" HEIGHT="0" NAME="ss" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Free quest info <---- <A HREF="http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=140794
Vlorm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=140794
Vlorm</A> tells you 'you da man!'
Esrel tells you 'dartan is cool'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:51 am

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Zoning for everyone is different. If yer a power mudder, go play merc. Shrug.

Twinshadow

------------------
Kribble tells you 'everytime I've seen you die it was doing something cool or trying to save someone's ass... die away!'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:53 am

You left out the line where I tell you to summon me quick right before you yawn, dart. Image

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 01-30-2003).]
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wobb:
<B>I still like doing the plain old Brass, Jot, etc...but trying to make a group to go is next to impossible.

Next time, ask Yarash to join your group.

- Mike
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>i play to pwn when i am an evil. when i'm a goodie i play to see this:

Corth group-says 'ok luring'
You group-say 'yawn'

We know the real reason you play goodie Image
Corth group-says 'need gheals'
Strond has left the group.
Rulk has left the group.
Dhurn has left the group.
Thanuk has left the group.
Teppen has left the group.
Malia has left the group.
Ranor has left the group.
Arilin has left the group.

Dartan group-says 'beat level 22, i pwn'

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:37 am

Ya know, i've been playing here since 1994 and I have never gotten a character to level 50. 46 is my limit. I get sick of the ratrace too and I miss the old days...tons of people willin to go to ice crag cause killin malice was juch a blast. I miss the days of 300+ players, where you could find a group, ranger or not! And you could always find a new friend right around the corner. A p-wipe wouldn't piss me off. I'd just start over again with Gulraex like I did when I came back to Sojourn in 2001. (i'd really like to start out as a berzerker again tho :|)

Kallinar likes berzerkers.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:46 pm

How about this. Pretty much everyone complains about exp. So why not, for people say with a level 45+ character, have the option of trading their current character to a new character of a different class. Have it be a transfer of exp value of the char lets say, so a level 50 rogue would be a level 40 mage or some such, Set all skills back to level 1, they'd have to pay big cash to practice up, they can play a class they've never played at high levels, zone for new eq, cause spanks cuz they noob to the class, etc.

Not necessarily a remort, but could be interesting. I don't like pwipes, wouldn't mind an eq wipe, but hey, I'd kinda like this.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”