help

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
arom3
Sojourner

help

Postby arom3 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:40 pm

ok well i need to go and kill a guy called gurp ..... well his bodyguard actually ... it will take a group of around 10 larger players to do safely i believe and was wondering if anyone would help .... i ask and ask but no success.... any help really is appreciated
kolasi
Sojourner

Postby kolasi » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:22 pm

Wots your characters name?

-Zizev
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:41 pm

Arom, this is how you do this...

You don't stand at 1w saying "Anyone wanna go do Glup?" because (I don't know about anybody else) if I'm sitting at 1w it's because I'm tired and not even paying attention, so if it's not bright, white ansi rolling through my capture window I don't even see it. You send tells to people "Doing Glup, come help?" They think you've already got half your group, you're already standing there waiting to bust the doors down and it'll only be a five minute affair, so they consent and voila, you have a group!

[This message has been edited by Ashiwi (edited 01-27-2003).]
arom3
Sojourner

Postby arom3 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:05 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ashiwi:
[B]Arom, this is how you do this...

You don't stand at 1w saying "Anyone wanna go do Glup?"

Ok i get your point and your right .... however i dont sit about there actually .... im usually out questing ....when passing i see if people are there. I try asking all the bigger players i can but have always got ;- busy, logging off in a min etc. Thanks for the advice though will try it .... last time i did get 5 and we did get gurp's weapon just couldnt get the bodyguards weapon .... however i have now been told it would take a much bigger group to complete the quest set in cp ... as ive been asking for a group for ages for this bit im sure it will be impossible for the last ..... so i guess its 40 years hard labour on the bgr until im big enough to be "popular" as i was told or maybe i could win the lottery.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">so i guess its 40 years hard labour on the bgr until im big enough to be "popular" as i was...</font>

No, it's not about popularity. It's more about how much skill you have, how well you know your class, and your knowledge of the mud. EX: Gormal is popular, but everybody knows he likes to kill you in groups so we don't take him. Thanuk is hated, but we take him anyway because he knows how to play a warrior well. As of right now being a n00b, most people will suspect that you were told the quest and probably don't deserve the certian item whereas their friends had to find the quest and figure it out on their own.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Kiaransalee OOC: 'Justin Timberlake will be the next Elvis'
arom3
Sojourner

Postby arom3 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:26 pm

As of right now being a n00b, most people will suspect that you were told the quest and probably don't deserve the certian item whereas their friends had to find the quest and figure it out on their own.

Well ok this is how things went ... someone leant me an avenger ... i thought cool help with 2 things i miss when im on uk mornings (eg no-one else much to group with) stone skin and some healing assistance. So I asked in RP where did you get the sword ... reply i had to fight bla bla bla ... ok so who did you fight .. its a long story so go and find a story teller way down south near cp ..... i go down and he tells me of a sword .... i then go in search of a paladin ... so in or out of rp ... same thing ..... i ask has anyone seen a paladin of imlater around ... one day i get a msg saying someone saw him near cp .... i run all the way down there and find him ... bl bla bla ... i get weappons from goblin and orc after loads of walking reading and asking etc etc etc ..... so i am doing quest ... only difference is that i know the reward ... i dont know where or who this last battle is with people talk of. All I know now is i need 2 weapons for the paladin of Torm ... gurp's axe i got and a shadow blade which i have not. Then i have to find Paladin of Tyr which im sure will need another poster campain of "have you seen this Pally". I only wanted the sword as i thought it would help me to be able to quest better when i am on here with few others ... thats it .... makes sense.
Kribble
Sojourner

Postby Kribble » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:42 pm

Watch the posted quest information.

Don't get frustrated, it's not a popularity contest at all. It can often be however, a favors contest. You'll find that many people are reluctant to help someone the don't know do a potentially dangerous quest, especially if there's nothing in it for them.

So, get known! make friends your level, help them get more levels. Help with their quests, equip your friends. Spread the love. Then one day when you need help and everyone goes 'Hmm, arom always helps me out, I've got time to do something for him' walla! you've got a group.

------------------
Friends > All.
-Cap'n Touk
arom3
Sojourner

Postby arom3 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:32 pm

Hey I really didnt want this to be a discussion on popularity ..... how to make friends and influence people etc .... i just thought it was a better way than to keep doing the excuse me ... are you busy ... would you mind helping me bla bla bla .... the avenger just seemed the best thing to help me quest and explore when its quiet and no-one else much is here .... thats it ... nothing more.
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by arom3:
Hey I really didnt want this to be a discussion on popularity .....</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I recall correctly, you're around lvl 32, correct? I think you will have a better chance of seeking assistance when you are lvl 45+ simply because people are inherently opposed to helping a relatively low-midlvlr get a somewhat high-end or class-defining weapon. I'm not gonna go into the merits on why that approach is good or bad for the MUD, but I'd be willing to bet its the main reason you havent had much luck (and will only get worse if you're still at the same level when you try to get a group for the final fight) ...
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:03 pm

Nah, I would have been happy to help, I was just feeling bored and tired at the time and wasn't paying much attention to my screen.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>
No, it's not about popularity. It's more about how much skill you have, how well you know your class, and your knowledge of the mud. EX: Gormal is popular, but everybody knows he likes to kill you in groups so we don't take him. Thanuk is hated, but we take him anyway because he knows how to play a warrior well. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate you so very, very much.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:07 am

The Gormalion style of getting a group to do something is very effecctive, you tell people something like 'consent for jot invasion'. Then when you have a group (approx 10 seconds) you gather them all at a point in D and well them to glup, then say 'false alarm, we killing marshall glup, thanuk south'.

Another good way to get glup done since it just a couple of little fights is to find your way into a zone group, then during some appropriate time ask the leader / group if thety would care to smite glup at the end of zone for you.

Also, keep in mind that you are trying for the absolute bee's knees in paladin sword (shutup you *poke someone*) so getting it at level 32 is pretty ambitious, but do-able. Patience.

PS. totally agree with kribble tht is a pretty hefty content of a major quest you just posted!!!

------------------
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:35 am

Arom,

as a player who has played a Paladin for a LONG time on this place I felt like giving you my opinion on the holy avenger. As I see it, it is very simular to the highest spell quest for a caster class, for paladins. For casters they have to reach 46th level before they can get their last quest spell and I feel the same about an avenger. Its not the kind of thing you can just expect to get. You really have to work for it. When I have a < 40th level paladin asking me to help him/her with the quest I'm not really interested, get some levels, learn your class to its full extent then ask for help.

Last piece of advice, the last part of the quest is pretty hard. You will need a good group of 15 45+ players and one of the very few leaders out there that can lead the zone. I think you will have a fair amount of difficulty finding such a group until you are well know among the high level players on here.

Old Bastard
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>
No, it's not about popularity. It's more about how much skill you have, how well you know your class, and your knowledge of the mud. EX: Gormal is popular, but everybody knows he likes to kill you in groups so we don't take him. Thanuk is hated, but we take him anyway because he knows how to play a warrior well. As of right now being a n00b, most people will suspect that you were told the quest and probably don't deserve the certian item whereas their friends had to find the quest and figure it out on their own.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, a LOT of people hate on me too, but I still somehow manage to lead/group.

Edit: They must think I'm cute or something...

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Muma OOC: 'haha i just stuck my tongue out at the moniter'
Muma OOC: 'and yea i was sticking it out at you EV'

[This message has been edited by Silsaterur (edited 01-30-2003).]
Fripple
Sojourner

Postby Fripple » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:46 pm

Why doesn't someone just give him the sword? The point of arguing is moot since someone, sometime, will give it to him anyway.

Heck why not just allow mortals to spawn objects at will? We're going to figure it out or be given it sometime anyway. Heck, we should be allowed to quest a Game Shark in the newbie zone and use it to modify the game as needed.

Actually, where are all the walkthroughs posted now? Maybe we should make a board for walkthroughs? I mean that is the point of the game right? Get to see all the sights.

Bah.

Only people worth helping are the ones who never seem to ask for it. Catch 22?

------------------
Fripple Kiara - Stone Heart -
arom3
Sojourner

Postby arom3 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:36 pm

Ok ..... if you really want to give me the item fine .... however if you read the original post i was (how ever wrong it was at the time) trying to get a group together to quest an item, i believed would allow me to quest alone more, during quiet times in this world. However now you turn this into "hey why dont we just give him lvl 50 all equip as he is obviously so below me I cant be bothered" .... cool nice argument and informed debate. I wanted help questing - so if you really want to argue about free rides etc ... what about people giving their 2nd 3rd 4th etc characters good eq at low lvls etc.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by arom3:
what about people giving their 2nd 3rd 4th etc characters good eq at low lvls etc.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry man, this doesn't even fall into the same category. I for one worked damn hard to get everything I currently have. I learned my class(es) and paid my dues with many deaths, crs, favors, zones, etc... There is a big difference between getting handouts and lvling up an alt with gear you won in zones or traded for.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Kiaransalee OOC: 'Justin Timberlake will be the next Elvis'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:48 pm

Arom, let me try to clarify Fripp's post.

He doesn't mind that you try. He minds that you seem to think you are wrongly persecuted (obviously otherwise everyone would help you) and that it's only you. In short, if I guess correctly, he minds that you complain so vociferously.

------------------
Sparks crackle in your ear as Kossuth tells you 'answer for you, possibly, O Spankmagnetic One'
arom3
Sojourner

Postby arom3 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:52 pm

Hey I only asked for a group remember .... Ok my new status in this game didnt allow me to understand, then, that this is not how to get a group. Then I am told that I got told this quest, am seeking lvl 50 without learning .... hell its even inferred that im not woth helping as "Only people worth helping are the ones who never seem to ask for it. Catch 22? ... Yes catch 22 is I am doing the wrong quest it seems ... however as I am new how the ****** do i know which is the right quest ? It seemed logical either in or out of character that having been leant a magical sword for a time ... that helped me search for quest clues all over this land .... i would venture to seek it itself. But all rest easy I have stopped this quest and found many other bits of info on other quests to keep me happy.
Aedarton
Sojourner

Postby Aedarton » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:08 pm

Arom,

In my humble opinion, asking for a group on BBS is not the right way to go about getting an Ambran.

I have always helped people with all kinds of quests, rares, and CRs w/o complaint. In zones, I bid and lose and don't complain, therefore some people look at me kindly, some do't, but "BAH'.

I got my Ambran by getting in a group that was zoning and then decided to get a P****** cloak and I went to help. Once there, several people, w/o my input, decided to get the last piece of the quest for me. I appreciated their kindness and will remember them.

My point, reiterates what some have said here: zone, make solid friends, do favors, and your rewards will follow.

PS, I almost said, act like a Paladin, but refrained because I knew what many of the reponses would be Image

Aed
Fripple
Sojourner

Postby Fripple » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:59 am

Aedarton and Moritheil vocalized my response and views in more humane terms.
Fripple Kiara [b:]- Stone Heart -[/b:]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:37 am

Arom I'll give you the best advice I can...

Ignore all us wankers.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:46 pm

heh. Actually I tried to get a group for him once, but ppl were busy CRing Roots at the time :(
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”