Outnumbered, Surrounded.

Share your original RP stories here.
Ensis
Sojourner

Outnumbered, Surrounded.

Postby Ensis » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:24 am

Winter, year 401

The four soldiers sat back to back, covered in grime, surrounded by decaying bodies. The room smelled horrible, and each of them was exhausted. Each of them pointed a sword at the door on the wall they faced, but their arms were tiring, and their resolution failing.

Ensis finally spoke up. “Kale.. Still with us?”

“Yes, I think I’m going to vomit.” The youngest in the group, Kale was the resident hotshot. He was quick with a sword, fast on his feet, and always had his fair share of young girls chasing his favor. His only weakness was the sight of blood, and the smell of death.

They all chuckled, all except Kale. He protested that he was, in fact serious, and then deposited his breakfast on the floor in front of him. The other two followed suit, Ensis seemed unaffected by the smell or the actions of his men.

“Rhavin… Damon…?”

“I’m fine, my legs are falling asleep.” Rhavin was the oldest, and most experienced. Ensis had cut his teeth under his command, but now they had reversed roles. Rhavin disobeyed an order from his superior to hunt down a “Pack of Thieves” that were no more than hungry orphans stealing trash. He was often quiet, and had been plagued with waking dreams. None of the team knew of his past, but trusted him implicitly with his expertise in combat.

“My legs have been asleep since we sat down, are we going to sit here forever?” Damon was the complainer. If they quit early for the day and set up camp, he’d complain that it was raining. If the rain stopped, he would whine about the mud, if the mud dried up, he’d complain about the heat. Ever the reluctant hero, everyone expected him to be the last into the fight, and were always disproved when he was the first.

“We’ll get out of here in a…” A loud scratching noise cut Ensis off.

They all stood up, each sword point wavered nervously in anticipation.

All four doors splintered simultaneously and the room spun into chaos. An endless wave of zombies and skeletons poured forth, each soldier was revived immediately with adrenaline, as they swung frantically for their lives. Cold fingers and claws reached into their breastplates and greaves, chilling them to the bone before they cut down the broken body for it’s second death. Their arms burned, and sweat stung their eyes.

Rhavin felt a heavy thud at his back, and turned to see Kale knocked off his feet. He reached down immediately and grabbed him by the shoulder, yanking him back up to his feet. The split second gave his opponents just enough time to hit their mark, and he turned to take a spear into his abdomen. Pain rattled his entire body, and he screamed in agony.

Ensis turned left to see Rhavin drop to his knees, and felt a sharp, cold, claw tear into the side of his face, down to his collarbone. He tasted blood, and fury engulfed him. He waded back into his attackers, cutting a column towards the door. Damon’s cry came next, and Ensis turned, realizing he had pushed forward 8 feet and nearly made it to the door. Kale now stood over Damon and Rhavin, a whirlwind of blades. Rhavin’s sword was in his left hand, and Ensis read fury and sadness in their youngest soldier’s eyes as he fought to protect his wounded friends.

Ensis turned to charge into the fray, but the room started spinning, and a strange sickness overcame him. His body convulsed, he vomited, and his eyes rolled back into his head as he crashed to the floor. His last image was of Kale, swinging with every ounce of heart he had left. Ensis watched helplessly as the boy turned, and paused in fear, realizing he was the only one left standing. The moment was enough for his foes, and a black skeletal claw reached through his defenses. It gouged at his throat, and tore deep into his neck, spraying bright red blood everywhere.

Ensis’ mouth opened in a silent scream as he watched his friend collapse.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:41 pm

Darnit, are you dying again???!

You should write longer stories. You have a flair for writing, and I don't think you even realize it yet.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:19 pm

Ensis, the anti-Glorishan...

Nice story, but at some point, shouldn't you live to tell another? Hehe.

Toplack * dies alot too * Frostbear
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:19 am

You write well, Ensis. I like your stuff, but if you ever write a book, the title will be '437 ways to kill an Ensis'

-Blackoak
Zazure
Sojourner

Postby Zazure » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:54 am

I agree with you Ashiwi.. I told him his story was too short as well.. Image

Zazzy
Axxsinlazzam
Sojourner

Postby Axxsinlazzam » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:47 pm

This was a really good story Ensis.
Very short but really good.

The Axx