The Crucible

Share your original RP stories here.
Gort
Sojourner

The Crucible

Postby Gort » Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:49 pm

The Spirit of the Blue Bear was watching the battle, waiting for his chance to claim the soul of young Toplack took this moment to draw it from his body. Emerging from the spirit realm to the Ice Bear cave, as it bent over the bleeding body of Toplack and reached for his soul, another form materialized, that of Tempus God of War. Toplack was not yet dead, neither was the Ice Bear, Tempus, interested only in battle, and being something of a fickle god, he chose this moment to take a side.

Since the Blue Bear was there first, he attempted to lay claim to the soul, Tempus would have nothing of it, yet recognized an opportunity for sport. A deal was proposed, the Blue Bear could have half of Toplack’s soul, and place a spirit guardian to follow and somewhat protect Toplack in the future, if Toplack died not in battle, his entire soul would belong to the Bear. If he didn’t complete the quest Tempus would lay before him, the soul would also belong to the Bear. If, however, Toplack completed the quest Tempus had in mind, the ultimate battle, Toplack’s soul would be his own, and likely fall into Tempus’ hands when the natural course of events took place and Toplack died.

Also interested in a game with a mortal’s soul, The Spirit of the Blue Bear agreed to this game. As a guardian, the Spirit chose a cruel irony, a Bear, something to spite Toplack’s family name Bearslayer, and assert his hold over Toplack. But to receive any help from said bear, Toplack would have to journey to the spirit realms and search long and hard for his symbol. This was an acceptable bargain to Tempus, and he shared in appreciation for the irony of choice in a spirit guardian.

Gort woke as the sun was cresting the pass in the mountains, a chill in the air bracing him. Donning his hunting gear, he added armor to it, this was to be a difficult hunt, and even a warrior of his skill and experience could ill afford to take an Ice Bear in his den lightly. Tayros and Rhoquinn would be joining him on the hunt this day, and they planned on meeting at the Mirar River at the quarter hour. Leaving his room for the common room, Gort began to notice things awry. His spear wasn’t next to the door where he’d left it, and as he checked Toplack’s room, he found it empty, and all his armor and club missing as well. That his gear was gone was only cause for minor concern, that Gort’s spear was also missing however, meant Toplack must have decided something foolish. Realizing Toplack must have overheard the planning for today’s hunt, where Toplack must have gone became obvious. He can only have gone to hunt the bear alone…

Gathering his axe taken from the freshly slain hand of a far Executioner, Gort rushed from his home in urgent pursuit of Toplack. If he were too late, his only son would be dead. Reaching the Mirar River, Gort found his companions already there, he quickly informed Rhoquinn and Tayros where Toplack had gone, and of the urgency, the two needed no prodding. The three set out with haste, crossing the river, and began already to see tracks in the snow. Climbing further, they realized the tracks must be just short of an hour old, as the light snow was only now beginning to fill them in. Approaching the crossroads leading to the Ice bear’s cave, they climbed further and saw to their dismay the mangled frozen corpse of a Barbarian. Brief examination revealed it to be too frozen and old to be Toplack, but also likely that of Fero, a barbarian recently gone missing from Griffon’s Nest.

Hearing no sounds of battle, but seeing fresh tracks leading into the cave, the three quickly prepared themselves for battle, and moved in. What they saw surprised them all. There amidst blood and gore were a barely breathing Toplack, the sounds from the bear indicated he was not dead either, but also in very bad shape. Tayros quickly dispatched the bear as Gort and Rhoquinn knelt at Toplack’s side, assessing his wounds. Gort had seen other warriors this badly wounded, but not his son. It was grave indeed, and if immediate attention were not given, Toplack would not survive the day. Resolving to bring him immediately to the Shaman of Griffon’s Nest, they rigged up a hasty sledge and gently placed the bloody body of Toplack on it. Wrapping the wounds as best they could, they managed to slow the bleeding, but much had already been lost as evident from the large stain where Toplack had been laying, and his clothing being nearly totally soaked in it.

Alternating who was dragging the sledge, it only took a couple of hours to return to Griffon’s Nest. Seeking out the Shaman, they brought Toplack to see if anything could be done. On examination, the Shaman shook his head, and informed Gort that Toplack was near crossing over, he would try to help, but that Toplack was not whole in Spirit. Crushing herbs with a Morton and Pestle, the Shaman packed them over the gashes on Toplack’s chest and shoulder. He then began chanting to Tempus, and the spirits. An ethereal glow began to surround both Toplack and the Shaman. Gort, Rhoquinn, and Tayros waited in anticipation to see if the Shaman would be able to bring Toplack back, to make him whole. Hours passed, still the Shaman was chanting, the glow fluctuating, their forms blurring and shifting as he worked.

As night slipped into day, hope was growing faint in Gort’s heart that his son would survive. What had the Shaman meant that he was not whole of spirit? Would Toplack be reduced to a wandering idiot if he survived? Had Gort driven him to this by his insistence that Toplack become a great warrior like his ancestors? He consulted with Rhoquinn, and Tayros.

“Was this my fault?” Gort said in an anguished voice.

“His path was chosen for him Gort, it is not yours to decide, but the Gods” Rhoquinn comforted.

“Tempus has his own designs, the axe and the sword are not the only ways to do battle,” said Tayros.

This shocked Gort, never knowing Tayros to favor anything but weapons; it was one of the things that made them brothers.

“Toplack acquitted himself well in battle Gort, there is much to be proud of.” Said Tayros.

“But my son should never have attempted this alone, even we wouldn’t lightly attempt to kill an Ice bear alone,” grumbled Gort.

“He has listened to the tales of our battles since he was a baby Gort, many of which either you or Tayros would charge into even more dangerous battles without heed to your safety, what more would he think?” Rhoquinn replied.

Nodding to himself, Gort knew his son’s fate was truly in the hands of Tempus.

A short time after the sun’s rays again crested the mountains, the shaman came to Gort. Toplack will live, but he must learn the ways of the shaman if he is to ever be whole again. His soul was divided, half of it was locked in the spirit realms, and the other half was still within Toplack. The shaman informed Gort that Toplack’s path was no longer that of the warrior, something that Gort had realized on his own as he waited. Gort accepted this, placing Toplack in the shaman’s care, and acceding that he would apprentice with the shaman.

Relieved that Toplack lived, he shared the news with Tayros and Rhoquinn. They clapped him on the shoulder in congratulations, and said they thought Toplack was worthy of the name Bearslayer. Gort then told them of the shaman’s words on Toplack’s future; how he was to be a shaman, not a warrior, breaking his family tradition. Tayros and Rhoquinn nodded to each other, and reminded Gort that not all were chosen to be shaman, and really it was an honor, nothing to be shamed by.

Tayros said, “This is cause for celebration, not only will Toplack live, but he is to become a shaman! Come, let us make for the tavern, Toplack is in the shaman’s care, we must drink!”

The three knowing there was nothing further they could do, and with Gort relieved his son would live, made their way to the Tavern, to drink, and celebrate life.

That afternoon, Toplack slowly opened his eyes. Thinking to find himself in some afterlife, he was shocked to see the Shaman of Griffon’s Nest’s face hovering over him.

“You have done much, and accomplished much Toplack, but have you learned anything?”

“I thought I was dead, I saw the world close about me, then thought I saw the Spirit of the Blue Bear, and Tempus arguing over the possession of my soul.”

“Yes, I saw as much when I was attempting to heal you, they have placed you on a new path.”

“What is meant by that?”

“You are to apprentice with me, your soul is not complete, and will not be until you complete whatever task the Gods have placed before you. All that they have revealed to me, is that you must travel to the spirit realms when you are ready, and seek out a symbol for your guardian. This will be the first step to making yourself whole again.”

Toplack nodded weakly, thinking this a dream, closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep, a sleep to be plagued by visions of the bear following him, shadowing him wherever he went.

------------------
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:44 pm

Dude!... Don't keep us in suspense! what happens?!

Twyl

------------------
I am Jack's complete lack of effort.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:24 pm

I thought that was a rather interesting twist on the whole idea of a shaman spirit. The writing style this time didn't seem as tidy as the one previous, but still an excellent story. Actually... a great beginning, no?
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:14 pm

Why do I always have to pay for drinks!!! :P

Return to “Stories”