The Tribulations of Nashewa, #37g

Share your original RP stories here.
Gurns
Sojourner

The Tribulations of Nashewa, #37g

Postby Gurns » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:15 pm

"Nashewa. Can we go?"

Preemptory. Impatient. But carefully not a command.

Nashewa sighed. She had, long ago, stopped cursing the fate that bound her to aid one barbarian warrior after another. After all, the Balance must be served. But she had told Tokag that she would get him back to his clan in time for the ceremony, and despite that unfortunate delay last week, they were still on schedule, so you'd think he could wait. Quietly.

She sighed again. No matter how many of them she had helped, she still wasn't used to them. Oh, well. At least this one had a few pleasantly surprising qualities. He could learn, for one thing.

Carefully, she separated the rootlets of the mature plant from its offspring. There were many uses for this herb, and the young plants would grow all the better with the larger plant not blocking the sun. Here in the shade of the mountains, they would need all the light they could get.

She delicately placed the plant in her pack. Getting her feet under her, she stood, and brushed the dirt from her hands. She nodded at Tokag, and he turned and began striding along the path, up towards the high pass. Nashewa followed.

Of course, she mused, there were always certain advantages to barbarian warriors. And this one had learned more than not to order her around. She grinned, admiring the view in front of her, the muscles bunching and stretching, tightening and relaxing, driving the barbarian onward in a powerful, untiring rhythm.

"Tokag," she called, "let's make camp soon."

The next day, they continued their journey upwards. She stopped, now and again, to harvest a plant. The growing season was all too short, this high up. Another month, and everything would be buried under the snow.

It was about mid-day when she noticed something was wrong. Tokag had started the day relaxed and cheerful, as well he might. Now, he was darting quick glances, this way and that, a frown on his face.

"What is it?" she asked in a low voice.

He shrugged. She nodded, and dropped back a few paces. They continued, more cautiously.

As they reached the crest of the pass, he stopped, then motioned for her to stay put. She watched as he moved forward a slow step at a time.

She could tell when he spotted something because he froze, absolutely still. A long moment passed, then another. She watched him take a slow half step forward, and freeze again. Then another.

A hundred heartbeats later, Tokag slowly lowered himself to the ground, and crawled backwards a dozen yards, then stood and walked back to where she was. He leaned over to put his mouth near her ear.

"IceCrag raiders," he said. "Camped in the next valley, half a mile straight down the hill, perhaps three times that by the road. Tents for 50. No prisoners, no obvious loot. Eight sentries, about 30 raiders lounging about the fires. Some raiders in the tents, but I can't tell exactly how many."

She thought about that. If the raiders were on the march, they'd have broken camp by now. They had to be waiting for something or someone. And it sounded like they were staying close to camp.

Nashewa gritted her teeth. If the raiders were waiting, there was no telling how long they'd be there. And no matter why they were there, if they spotted her or Tokag…

She turned to speak into his ear. "Any way around?"

Tokag shook his head. "Nothing that will get us there in time."

"Sneak past during the night?"

Tokag shook his head again. He waggled his fingers and said, "Mages."

It was her turn to nod. Alarm and detection spells would make that too risky.

Together, Tokag and Nashewa moved quietly back the way they had come. They finally found a spot where they could see a distance up to the pass, and still be mostly out of sight themselves. Tokag lay down in a small gully, flat against the ground, staring up the road. Nashewa sat down in a small crevice in the rock wall.

Nashewa wanted to get up and pace. She settled for clenching her teeth harder. "We have to make them move," she hissed.

Tokag shook his head, without taking his eyes off the pass. "Too dangerous. They move past us, the mages may detect us. They move ahead of us, the longer we're behind them, the more likely they'll spot us. Have to kill them, or make them flee in panic."

Nashewa stared at him. "You're going to attack 50 raiders?" she asked in disbelief.

Tokag looked at her, sourly. "I may be young, but I'm not an idiot. Can't you do something?"

Nashewa shook her head. "Not from this far away. I'd have to get close, and they'd spot me as soon as I start. Then you'd have to hold them all off, including the mages."

Tokag shook his head, as well. "Neither of us would survive long enough." He looked up towards the pass, then glanced at Nashewa out of the corner of his eye. "A thunderstorm higher up the valley, a flash flood? Or a fire that sprang up, and rushed upon them? A mighty wind that swept down and tore them to pieces. You cannot do that?"

"No!" Nashewa lowered her voice. "Any of those could destroy the forest," she explained.

Tokag looked pointedly at the one scraggly, spindly tree they could see from their vantage point. "That's a forest?" he asked dubiously.

"Yes," snapped Nashewa. "In the mountains, this high, that tree and a few others like it, that's a forest." People just didn't see, she decided for at least the thousandth time. If it wasn't tall and straight, oh, no, it wasn't a tree. If the ground wasn't in shadow all day, it couldn't be a forest!

Tokag eyed her again. "Once before, I saw a master druid like yourself. He called a mighty horde of vermin, and sent them against a company. They ate them, leaving trees and plants untouched. Couldn't that could be done from a distance?"

Nashewa looked down. "I won't do that," she said tightly. She looked back at Tokag. "Shouldn't you be watching the pass?"

Tokag obediently looked up the road. "It would not hurt the forest," he pointed out. "And when I saw the other druid, few escaped the vermin, and those few fled."

Nashewa closed her eyes. "I can't do that," she admitted. That part still hurt. She felt Tokag looking at her again. "Don't ask."

A moment passed in silence. Then Tokag said, somewhat reluctantly, "I have no other ideas."

"I don't, either," said Nashewa. "I'll have to see them for myself." She took off her pack, and clambered to her feet. "I'll need a boost." She looked around, then pointed. "That way."

Nashewa concentrated, and felt the familiar but indescribable twist and stretch and compress as her body reshaped itself into an eagle. Tokag knelt down and placed his forearm in front of her. She jumped onto it, and he stood.

Tokag held his arm to the side, and twisted to his right. "Ready?" he asked. She bobbed her head, twice. Uncoiling swiftly, he flung his arm forward. Her wings snapped out, she flapped twice for a little lift, then twice more, she really should lose a little weight, fortunately the thermal should be right about…there.

Much better than the first time he tried that, she thought as she soared, gaining altitude. When he wanted to throw me like a spear. Warriors!

High enough to be the merest speck to those below, she studied the camp. The tents in those rows, the fires there, the road there. The trees there and there and there. The water running this way, the slope of the valley going that way. When she was confident she knew where everything was, she glided off, and made sure she was out of sight before beginning her descent. A quiet screech, and Tokag spotted her. He stood, arm outstretched, well protected by a stout leather bracer. Her eyes twinkled. He'd only forgotten it once, and her healing chant had soon put things right.

It was a cold camp, they didn't dare risk a fire. As Nahewa chewed on her rations - and chewed and chewed, these were tough even for rations, what had gone wrong with that spell? -- she tried to figure out something she could do. Tokag had the watch, and was back in the gully, looking up the road. She moved over to him, and sat down.

"Tokag," she said quietly. "You live in these mountains. What are the dangers? Besides those raiders."

"There are many," he said. "What do you want to know?"

"I don't know, I'm hoping I'll know it when I hear it. Tell me about them all."

He glanced at her. Then he grinned. "There is a short chant of instruction. For children." He sat up, and began to recite.

<I>The subtle danger is the worst
No warning, not of sight or sound
But cold will wrap you in her arms
Will dull your mind, will close your eyes
Will pull your life out, bit by bit
Before you notice, you are dying
Dangers in your life are many
Men and mountains, beasts and weather
Cold has killed more than all others
Wrap yourself in many layers
Keep your clothes dry and keep moving
Check your fingers, ears for numbing
Always know that she is waiting.</I>

Nashewa shivered, and sat closer to Tokag.

<I>Giant beasts may rend and slay but
Most beasts will not seek to harm you
Do not walk in perfect silence
Do not startle, do not challenge
Always walk wide of new mothers
If you must fight, beasts are stronger
Beasts are faster, beasts are tougher
You may win if you are smarter
Bears are strong, with paws of daggers
Ripping flesh and even armor
Throw your spears and keep your distance
Worms of ice are little danger
If you sleep not in their caverns
Axe or...</I>

Nashewa interrupted. "No, beasts won't help us here. What else?"

Tokag's lips moved for a bit, as he found his place in the chant. Then he resumed his recitation.

<I>Storms can kill upon the mountains
Wind may howl, and push you sideways
If your path is narrow, caution
If you're climbing, hug the mountain
Rain will...</I>

Nasheena interrupted again. "No, I thought of weather, it won't help us. What else?"

Tokag grunted, then his lips moved silently, finding his place again.

<I>Traps are many in the mountains
See the deep snow, smooth and shining
Solid, stable, to the senses
Hidden under is the crevice
Those who fall in, are there buried
Test with pole before you set foot.
See the deep snow, high on mountain
Solid, stable, to the senses
Sound or sun or breeze or spirit
Suddenly the snow is moving
Avalanche is racing downhill
Eating all that lies before it
Those caught under, are there buried
Learn to see it, ere it happens
Wall of snow, a monster waiting.
Summer is but little safer
Then the crevice is not hidden
But its edges are unstable
Step too near and you are sliding
Falling, bouncing, to the bottom
Dying there, and never buried.
Piles of rock form wall of mountain
Sound or sun or breeze or spirit
Suddenly the rocks are moving
Rockslideracing down the mountain
Eating all that lies before it
Those caught under, are there buried
Learn to see it, ere it happens.
Wall of rock, a monster waiting.</I>

"Ha!" exclaimed Nashewa, although quietly. "That could work."

Tokag had taken a deep breath, ready to go on to the next verse. He exhaled, and glanced at her, puzzled. "You said you don't want to destroy the forest. A rockslide will do more damage than a flood or storm." He looked around. "Besides, the rock here is stable, that's why the road goes through this pass."

Nashewa was already thinking aloud. "If I can channel it like that... The road will help, it's lower..." She looked at Tokag. "The road will be destroyed," she said, matter-of-factly. "Will your clan object?"

Tokag shook his head. "Not really. We can use the mountain paths. The road is mostly used by traders and raiders. If the raiders have to stay away for a few years, we can live without the traders." He added, "Some of the other clans might be annoyed."

"Well, maybe they'll just have to live without it," Nashewa said tartly. '"It won't kill them, will it?"

Tokag said, "No, no. Some of them like the gaudy ribbons. Or the soft clothes. Or to hear a flatland bard. You'd think they were city folk."

Nashewa rolled her eyes. Barbarians! There was nothing wrong with soft clothes or gaudy ribbons. Bards had their uses, too, although they would talk on and on.

"I'll take the first nightwatch," declared Nasewa. "I need to think about this some more. And I'll need to be fresh in the morning. Wake me before dawn."

Tokag nodded, and started laying out his bedroll.

He looked a little grumpy, she thought. Now what? Ah. "I'm sorry I kept interrupting your chant," she said. "You were reciting it so well, but there just wasn't time for the whole thing."

He nodded, and said "That's all right." He still looked grumpy. Well, she wasn't going to grovel, but it wasn't like a barbarian to be this sensitive about a little recitation. Unless…

"Why, Tokag!" she said brightly. "Was that chant your own work?"

He nodded shyly, an odd sight on one as large as him.

"Well! I can see why your clan won't suffer if the flatland bards don't show up!" That should do it, she thought. And actually, it hadn't been bad. Some of the traditional chants she'd heard… Well, you'd better like age, that was the only thing to recommend them!

While Tokag slept, she mentally reviewed the slopes and angles of the mountains and the valley. Distance was going to be a problem. She could get it started there, that was easy enough. But it wouldn't hit the camp. She'd have to guide it, it would have to be turned there. And her chant wouldn't reach that far. She'd have to start it, then get past it to turn it, then get out of the way. And it would start falling slowly, but... Every second would count.

She shuddered. Yes, that would save a few precious seconds. That meant she'd have to start there. Would that give her enough time? Yes, that would work. If she didn't dawdle at the other end. Now, how to get out of the way? Safely. With rocks bounding in any and every direction. Ah, every direction except… Was there an escape route that way? There should be. She should have checked, but there was no way to check now, that wouldn't waste another day. Besides, it was the only safe option, so it would just have to work.

She mentally reviewed the plan, and sighed. A simple plan, really. Speed, timing, and a whole lot of falling rocks. She didn't want to think about everything that could go wrong.

She woke Tokag. "Your watch," she told him. "And I need you to hold me." He sat back against the rock wall. She curled up against him, and fell asleep.

Tokag woke her. She got up, stiffly, and started stretching. This was going to be tough enough, she reallydidn't want to strain anything at the wrong moment.

"Tokag," she said. "Pack up, and be ready to climb down. Don't go further than that tree, I can't be sure how much is going to come down."

Tokag nodded. "But you will be sure to save the tree," he said, and grinned mischievously at her.

Now wasn't that nice, he was trying to keep her spirits up. It was just as well he didn't know what she was planning, that way he couldn't bother her with objections. She smiled back. "And you. The tree and you."

Concentrating, she felt the twist and stretch, and changed into a squirrel. She scurried up the rock face, twitched her tail and chittered at Tokag, and hurried toward the crest of the pass. Let's see, on the far side of the crest, there was that sheer rock face with the straight drop almost to the valley floor. And the little ledge there… She got there, and looked around. Oh, this was small. She was a bit early, so now the waiting part, ugh. She curled her tail around her to keep warm.

When the sun had risen enough to light the road, almost to the valley floor, she stood up. Cautiously, she changed back to herself. Yes, it was a very little ledge. Hug the mountain, she thought, reaching her arms wide and resting her face against the rock. Closing her eyes, stretching out her mind, she felt the mountain, the top of the path…there. Taking a deep breath, she started chanting her "rock to mud" spell. It would be easy to turn the whole side of the mountain to mud, she thought, except I want just that section, that layer ten yards or so inside…

She felt a subtle tremor. Opening her eyes, she saw the top of the path separate, give way. That's started it, she thought. Here I go.

Turning, she dove headfirst off the ledge.

"Get the position right, get it right," she reminded herself, as the air rushed past, every instinct screaming "NOW! CHANGE NOW!"

"Stay vertical, head down, arms tight to sides, legs together," she thought. "OK, good." Concentrating hard, and whispering a devout prayer, just in case, she felt the twist and stretch. Wings out just a bit for guidance, tilt the head up. Stooping was definitely better as an eagle than a human, she decided.

Ahead, not that one, not that one, there was the rise that had to turn the rockslide. She was going to have to shape it, curve it, steepen it, or most of the slide would go over the top. And she needed to do that at a place where she could escape.

Eagle eyes searched the hill ahead, coming up fast. Where was a hole? A burrow? There had to be rodents around, they were everywhere. There…no, too shallow. There! Oh, that was going to be tight. But she had to land now.

Cupping her wings, she stalled in midair, a few feet above the ground. Even as she dropped, she changed back to herself. Orient yourself, there, yes, that part of the hill, rock to mud. She watched part of the hill liquefy and shear off. Not enough. The ground was trembling beneath her. That part, rock to mud. Better. Damn. Still not enough.

The ground was shaking, hard, she couldn't stand up. She dropped to her knees. Don't look, don't look, just cast, once more, rock to mud. There. Good. I hope. Dear gods, let that be enough. She fell flat to the ground, concentrating. Twist and stretch, snake, good, now, where's that hole? There!

She dove into the hole. Uhhhh, tight fit, exhale, keep going, keep going, when those rocks hit… She drove further on, further down, as fast as she could, her neck and back were going to kill her tomorrow.

She broke into a larger den. Three other exits, which one to the far side of the hill?

Then the rocks hit. The hill shook and shuddered and shook again. Dirt fell from the ceiling, burying her. It seemed to last a long, long time.

When all was still, she wriggled. Loose dirt, yes, she'd counted on that. Now, where were those exits?

One of them had collapsed, and one seemed to lead further into the ground. But the third… Well, there might be fresh air that way. She flickered her tongue, and tasted that direction again. Yes, dirt flavored with fresh air. Under the circumstances, delicious!

She pushed her way through the dirt, finally breaking out. Where was she now? Bah, she couldn't see anything. Her tongue flickered. Nothing tasted dangerous. Once more, she changed back to herself.

She looked around. Oh my. The rock slide had gotten a little out of hand. There wasn't anything left of the path, down that side of the mountain. That must be Tokag, climbing down. As for the raiders' camp… She looked. Nothing. A lot of rocks and mud. Worriedly, she checked the trees. Those were untouched, and those and that one, and… Hmm. That one was right at the edge of the slide. It looked OK, but she'd have to check it, especially the roots. When she could walk that far.

She sat down heavily, and waited for Tokag. It wasn't until late in the morning that he got there.

She looked at him. His face, what an odd expression.

He bowed. "Lady Nashewa," he said.

Oh crap. She looked again. Awe, yes, and amazement, yes, and a little fear. Even though he was trying to hide it. And he looked flustered, too. Probably remembering the first time he tried to order me around, and thanking the spirits that I only yelled at him.

"Stop that!" she snapped. "I'm still Nashewa, you're still Tokag, we've walked all this way together, I'm covered in dirt, my back is killing me, and now we're behind schedule. Help me up, and let's get going."

A tentative smile flickered on his face. "Ah..."

She reached out her hand. "Up." He pulled her up. She looked up into his face. "Lots of people can do things like that, Tokag. It can be useful, but it doesn't make us...anything we're not." She shrugged, and winced. "Ow. You're definitely going to rub my back tonight. Now give me my pack, let's go."

He smiled, more solidly this time. "Oh, no. I remember the last time your back hurt. You complained about carrying your pack All Day Long." He made sure she heard the capital letters. "I will carry it, I couldn't take that again."

She smiled broadly. "Well, if you insist..."

"I insist," he answered. He started walking down the hill. She followed. After a few minutes, he said. "Nashewa? I saw the whole thing. Maybe there are lots of people who can do things like that. I've just never met anyone that would."

A warm fire, a cooked meal, a long backrub from those large, strong hands, and Nashewa was feeling much better. A long day, but! It had all worked! How wonderful! How glorious! Dancing with death, one, two, three times! It just needed one more thing, to top off the day.

She rolled up against Tokag, and stroked his shoulder a few times. Down to his hip. Eh? No response? She pulled on his shoulder and, slowly, he rolled over, took her in his arms, and held her. But that was all, and that wasn't what she was looking for now.

"Tokag?" She looked at him. He wasn't looking at her. "What is it?"

"Uh..." Wow, did he look embarrassed. "I, uh... This has never happened to me before!"

Oh. She reached down, gently. Ah, yes. She thought he'd spent a long time on that backrub. Normally, he got distracted.

She sighed mentally, carefully not letting it reach her voice. Men! Jump off a cliff, slice off half a mountain, bury their enemies under a pile of rock, and they got all intimidated! Be good at what you do, or, the gods forbid, better than them, and they couldn't cope.

Well, that was the way they were, and you just had to deal it. And there were a couple ways to deal with this little problem, let's see... Well, that way took too much time, and that, she wasn't in the mood for, and that, she didn't even have the ingredients for. That left the surest and quickest, and OK, there was that unfortunate side effect, but they could deal with that later. Now, how did that variation of "mud to rock" go?
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:38 pm

The subtle danger is the worst
No warning, not of sight or sound
But cold will wrap you in her arms
Will dull your mind, will close your eyes
Will pull your life out, bit by bit
Before you notice, you are dying
Dangers in your life are many
Men and mountains, beasts and weather
Cold has killed more than all others