Psionic level loss

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Kegor
Sojourner

Psionic level loss

Postby Kegor » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:49 pm

It seems when you lose a level as a psionicist you are penalized 2% of your total psp permanently. Is this really supposed to be this way? That is just not logical. I was having a discussion on petition about it to a god who didn't know much about it but was trying to be helpful and justify this penatly by comparing it to other classes losing hit points for level loss. This is not a worthy analogy in my opinion. This would be more like a caster losing his level lets say five times and losing a spell slot. That is a far more accurate comparison.

Anyhow, I had a friend named Icenacir that quit playing a while back. He had lost his level quite a few times in the first epic resurection quest attempts, and was severely handicaped by this cruel penalty of sorts. A forger eventually restored his psp levels so he did not have to delete his character. This being the case, why is this the way it is? It is obviously not intended to ruin a players character since a forger would fix it when it gets bad enough. Is there really a need for this? Would it be possible to have this corrected so psionicists just lost an insignificant amount of hp sometimes like everyone else?

Would really appreciate an immortal response on this one by someone who knows what the deal is. I am very curious as to what position is taken on this issue. Hopefully not dogystyle. Image
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:08 pm

I'm glad you brought it to the attention of the gods, it is a serious problem while you play a psi. Psp is what they use as their attacking, and therefor you are hurting the class by deminishing the psp.

Its just something that needs to get fixed, either now or when the class gets a nice revamp/looking over.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'

Ssissu group-says 'I think some goodies just complain to complain'

Ssissu group-says 'it's like a ranger complex'
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:31 pm

I honestly have a feeling that most players (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was most immortals) didn't know this was the case. I only learned about it earlier this year. It's BS just like the perm drain of stats points was BS (on ress).

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:05 pm

I did a quick check on sunday with a level 50 psi, and I didn't see any permanent psp loss. the psi lost 13 psp when deleveling to 49, but then regained 13 psp when releveling to 50. the net loss after regaining level 50 was 0. did this several times.

so I'm not sure what the problem is. please elaborate.

--D2

------------------
Mikayla OOC: 'we already have beavis and butthead, they just changed their name to malar and hoar'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:54 am

Allow me to elaborate:

My lowbie psi alt lost level 18 last night. It had 306psp prior to the death that brought it down to 17 again. After a res from a very nice cleric its total psp was 305. Today, while trying to level the same alt I again lost level 18 (so psi's aren't the best of tanks). Upon regaining 18 my alt now has 303psp. That is NOT a net loss of 0. Please please PLEASE look into this more than testing it one time on one character.

Cheers.
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:11 am

This same thing happens with hitpoints, doesn't it? You only get a random amount of hitpoints when you gain a level, up to lvl 20 or whatever, but if you lose a level, you lose maximum hitpoints for that lvl... so low lvl deaths can hurt your maximum hitpoints.

Dunno if that's "good" or "bad", but at least it's not too surprising.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:19 am

Alomlim,

The problem here is NO other class on the mud has their abilities permanently affected by death. Yes, it's possible to lose a notch in a skill that was maxed out but you can gain that back easily by practice. Psi's losing psp's, like the originator of this post said, is like any caster losing a slot in one of their circles PERMANENTLY just because they died. If every other class had some sort of permanent affect to their skills I guess I couldn't complain. Which is why I don't complain about the hp any of my characters has lost--it happens to everyone. Losing permanent psp's only affects psi's and it affects their effectiveness in battle. Call me crazy but I don't think that's what was intended at all.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:14 pm

Anypossibility the level 18 is losing and the level 50 isn't is because its like the gaining hp when you level is random before some level, then constant after it? I never was much on remembering things, but this has a fuzzy place in the back of my head that it was like this.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:20 pm

That's a good point. Would it be possible for an Imm to test this out with a lowbie psi rather than a level 50? I get the sense from the Imm who responded first that this psp loss probably isn't intended. I'm beggin' y'all to help me out!

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:05 pm

My impression way back when this was first brought up was that people above 25 were losing psp's, which is what I tested. PSP loss below level 25 (as currently set up) is intended -- it acts just like hit point loss below level 25. I will consider changing that, but for the moment it will remain the same.

--D2
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:09 pm

if you die under level 25, you have a chance to lose max psp, just as you do hit points. suffah!
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:53 am

the psp loss is there for the high levels. i remember way back when my yuanti cleric was still just obtaining level 50. I died a few times. Upon regaining the level, my max psp would be lesser than what I had before. This was verified by a few of my fellow yuanti casters. I am not sure if this is still the case now since it's been more than a year since I have ever lost any levels again :D
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:17 pm

You tell Yssilk 'consent'
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”