Any Ghetto Mekanix?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
thanuk
Sojourner

Any Ghetto Mekanix?

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:37 am

Hi folks,

I drive an old beat up car. The other day it was shaking like a 2 dollar crackwhore, so i took it down to my local mechanic and asked him what was wrong with it. According to him, one of my cylinders is filling with oil, which is soaking the spark plug in oil and preventing it from firing. The car in question is a 1990 nissan 240sx(manual). I bought my car for 1500 dollars, and it has 231,000 miles on it. Needless to say, when the guy told me it would cost a minimum of 800 dollars to repair whatever was making the cylinder fill with oil, i laughed for a while, and then cried when i realized that i cant afford a new car either. So i asked him if there was any alternative solution, i.e. any way to rig this thing up so that it stops having ceizures when it idles. He suggested using a certain type of spark plug which had a thin sealant on the end, which would prevent the oil from hitting the spark plug and allow it to fire. Well, it didn't work. So now i appeal to you, oh ye of great creativity and little cash flow, for a solution. Does anyone know a way i can fix this thing up so it stops shaking? I dont care if the cylinder fires, the lost power is not a concern. All im looking for is a way to prevent the car from shaking violently when it is idling(it smooths itself out once i hit about 2000 rpms). Suggestions?
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:34 am

coming from someone who has had many a ghetto car, I can say that as long as it is driveable dont worry too much about it :P

Depending on what tools you have, you MAY be able to do the repair yourself with a haynes manual... I replaced a water pump in an 88 beretta (tough shit) by myself with a friend to loan me the tools...

Good luck however you go at it, and also, find out from the mechanic what the 'name' of the repair is and SHOP AROUND!!! If one guy says 800 bucks, another might say 400 just to trump him, and then you go from there

GL

-g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:12 am

Or when you stop and dont need to get out of the car, you can shift the stick in neutral and give it a little gas to keep the engine reved at around 2000 rpm and then get a quick start on the greenlight heh.

Also ask a junkyard for replacement parts sometimes they even will fix your car for cheap if you go through them although the quailty of the repair will probably not be great. These are some of the things I would look into if it ever happend to me and I was strapped for cash. :roll: Goodluck hope it works out for you.

Crumar.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:49 pm

Try to find out from the mechanic what exactly would have to be repaired. Sounds like the ring is dead for that cylinder and letting oil leak through. I have no idea how hard that is to replace though... gotta pull off the top cover over the cylinders, and who knows whats in there (overhead cam and valves probably) that you would have to rip apart to get at the cylinders.
Its something you really should get fixed though, because unfortunately by having a cylinder not firing, its putting a lot of extra stress on the engine and can snap the crank shaft and then you're screwed.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:09 pm

rylan wrote:Try to find out from the mechanic what exactly would have to be repaired. Sounds like the ring is dead for that cylinder and letting oil leak through. I have no idea how hard that is to replace though... gotta pull off the top cover over the cylinders, and who knows whats in there (overhead cam and valves probably) that you would have to rip apart to get at the cylinders.
Its something you really should get fixed though, because unfortunately by having a cylinder not firing, its putting a lot of extra stress on the engine and can snap the crank shaft and then you're screwed.

Well yeah i SHOULD get it fixed, however its really just not worth it to spend the value of the car to fix the problem, because next month something else is going to break that i need to fix, etc etc you know how it goes with old cars. Repairing it myself is not an option; its a japanese compact car, everything in the engine is piled on top of itself to fit into the tiny space, although im gonna have a motorhead friend of mine look at it this weekend and see if he can fix it. The idea is to just use the car for the next 2 months or so, until i can make the downpayment on a lease, and then my days of peice-o-shit cars are over:)

The way the problem was described to me is that "something is not functioning which is causing the cylinder to fill with oil, but we wont be able to tell what it is until we take it apart and get in there." Which, translated from mechanic talk to laymans terms, means that its 400 dollars of labor to take the engine apart to replace a .30 cent peice of plastic, and then 400 dollars more to put the engine back together. Im gonna have a few other places look at it over the weekend, but i dont think its very promising, because its not that he is ripping me of on the cost of parts, but rather the time it will take to fix it that is driving the price so high. Someone told me that there was a certain kind of spark plug that stays really hot when its firing, so that it would burn off any oil on it. Does anyoen know if this is true, and if so, do you think it would fix the problem?

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:10 pm

Go down and get yourself a Haynes book and keep it in the trunk whenever you're not reading it. I've gotten one for every car I've owned since I first learned how to replace my alternator on the side of the road in Waxahatchie Texas, and there have been times where they were real lifesavers. Whether or not you'll be able to fix it yourself depends on your car and how difficult it would be to get to the parts that need to be replaced (in a Nissan 240 SX there might be WAY too much crap in the way, this is where I reaffirm my love for old Chevies and Ford Mustangs). If there's any chance you can fix it yourself find somebody who knows cars who can give you a hand and do it. There are few things in the world as satisfying as dropping the hood, turning the key, and knowing it's working because you made it work.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:21 pm

I have the Chiltons manual, i have done some work on the car myself. I replaced the exhaust a few years ago, i did the belts(serpentine belts are ewwwwwww) and i almost had the balls to do the brakes but i chickened out for fear of careening through an intersection. But yeah, theres too many ways i could screw this up alot worse than it is now in taking the car apart; im not ready to jump in and fix it myself at this point. Maybe if i could afford to lease a car tomorrow, but i gotta find a way to save up 3 grand for a lease downpayment before i can go destroying the engine. All i really need is for it to get me to and from work (bout 5 miles) for the next 2 months, and all i want is for it to not shake violently when im stopped at a light or accelerating. Im considering adjusting the idle limiter so that it idles high, like really high, but i feel like there would be negative consequences to having a car idle at 2000 rpms...can anyone confirm that fear? Thanks guys.

Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:51 pm

thanuk wrote:but i feel like there would be negative consequences to having a car idle at 2000 rpms...can anyone confirm that fear? Thanks guys.

You'd burn more gas and oil (hope you're checking the oil frequently), and the clouds of smoke will annoy the people behind you. Also, you'll wear out the engine faster. Of course, the shaking isn't doing the car any good, either, so you're making a bet as to which will be worse over the course of the next two months: shaking or revving.

Take it to another mechanic. Even if the cylinder is filling with oil, I would think that the most likely reason for that is that a gasket is worn out, and that should be a $30 part and an hour of labor for a trained mechanic. Even the 1990 small cars weren't so badly designed that you have to take apart the engine to replace a gasket. (At least, not in general, so I doubt this one is.)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:18 pm

Brake pads? Those are easy ya redneck :)

Anyhow, Gurns is right. Shopping around and looking at all your options is your best bet. I took my truck into a shop to find out if my alternator was dead, and was promptly told about 600 in repairs needed to make it work. Needless to say, I scoffed at that and moved onto a parts shop where I found out a new alternator was 170, scoffed again, went to another place that rebuilds who said it'd cost about 100-120 to rebuild, and after all that I went to my dad, who tightened the fan belt, and found out that the bolt holding the damned thing on wasn't good(kept slipping out of place). Needless to say I spent 10 bux on a new bolt and haven't had to replace the alternator at all.

Don't get suckered by people thinking you know nothing, go in and ask specific questions, and usually people get the feeling they won't be able to rip you off, and will probably be straight with you.

GL Nukkie

Twinshadow
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:27 pm

Sounds like it could be either a gasket or a piston ring. Depends on how much oil is getting into the cylinder I guess. A gasket isn't going to be much like Gurns said. A piston ring is going to involve dismantling the engine, and likely even pulling the engine from the car to get at. If it's a gasket, fix it it shouldn't be more than around $100. If it's leaking up from around the piston, buy a new car.

Definately shop around, also do some research on the problem online before you take it to the next mechanic. That way if you can at least make it sound like you sort of know what you're talking about they're less likely to rip you off. Also, if you weren't such a woman thanuk they'd be less likely to rip you off. Maybe get one of your male friends to take it in for you as they'll be less likely to be patronized by the mechanics and get an actual price. *stare*
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:51 pm

Well, regardless it sounds like you've worn down the piston rings, head gasket or no. IF you run it as is you're gonna break the crankshaft, piston arm, or crack the block, so it's better to fix it now. You have 2 options, do it yourself for about $200 plus a weekend of your time, (it's actually not that hard if you know someone that's done it before and has the block and tackle to pull out an engine) OR pay someone else for the convienience. I had the honour of helping Phil Egeder (NHRA top fuel engine designer and uncle) rebuild a fused 454 Lincoln (why some drag racers use ceramic rings instead of oil is beyond me). *DROOL* 841 hp... thats more than most fighters. Now I'm just rambling... Though using a hydrolic ram to get the pistons out was fun.

Though, you COULD just do what I did, find a Certified Class A mechanic and introduce him to your sister at a party, you'll never have car troubles EVER again. (btw they are getting maried this summer so if you wanna see me in a $3000 tux, this will be your ONLY chance. [note: If I get married I'm wearing a leaf's jersey, EZEWSKI 33.])

I've been making absolutely no sense all day, so if you can explain what my point is, I'd like to see it. (I think it might be that growing up in a hicktown teaches you lots of practical skills, like how to shoot an orange out of the sky with a .22, or how to turn stumper into dynamite.)

FUN, FUN, WOW!!!
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:01 pm

Silsaterur wrote:IF you run it as is you're gonna break the crankshaft, piston arm, or crack the block, so it's better to fix it now.

I've been making absolutely no sense all day, so if you can explain what my point is, I'd like to see it.

Hmm, perhaps your point is that if you break a crankshaft or piston arm when you're driving along at 60 mph, Really Bad Things can happen? I don't know enough to say.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:03 pm

Dlur wrote:Sounds like it could be either a gasket or a piston ring. Depends on how much oil is getting into the cylinder I guess. A gasket isn't going to be much like Gurns said. A piston ring is going to involve dismantling the engine, and likely even pulling the engine from the car to get at. If it's a gasket, fix it it shouldn't be more than around $100. If it's leaking up from around the piston, buy a new car.

Definately shop around, also do some research on the problem online before you take it to the next mechanic. That way if you can at least make it sound like you sort of know what you're talking about they're less likely to rip you off. Also, if you weren't such a woman thanuk they'd be less likely to rip you off. Maybe get one of your male friends to take it in for you as they'll be less likely to be patronized by the mechanics and get an actual price. *stare*

I seriously doubt he was trying to rip me off, since i told him before he even looked at it that if its gonna be more than 150 bux then dont touch the car. But now im starting to realize that this is the same mechanic who i paid to replace my head gasket last month, so i wonder if its possible he screwed something up in doing that? Either way im gonna get a few people to take a look at it this weekend, although it doesnt seem very promising. how long do you think i can drive this thing before i destroy the engine? the guy said it wouldn't really do any damage if i took it easy on the car, but the more i find out the more he is starting to look like a complete idiot.

Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:24 pm

thanuk wrote:I seriously doubt he was trying to rip me off

the more i find out the more he is starting to look like a complete idiot.

Or just doesn't know that car. I've never met a mechanic who said "Sorry, I don't work on those much, I wouldn't know where to start, take it someplace else." But it does make a difference: I had an old Toyota once, took it three different places, and after the first two places it ran OK, and after the third place, it ran good. And the second place was the fellow that made the old Volkwagon run good, so go figure.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:33 pm

Gurns wrote:Or just doesn't know that car. I've never met a mechanic who said "Sorry, I don't work on those much, I wouldn't know where to start, take it someplace else." But it does make a difference: I had an old Toyota once, took it three different places, and after the first two places it ran OK, and after the third place, it ran good. And the second place was the fellow that made the old Volkwagon run good, so go figure.

Nods, some lady my mom works with has a brother in law who is a mechanic, so he is gonna take a look at it for me this weekend. Funny thing is i told this guy i work with what was wrong, and the first thing he asked was if i checked to see if my head gasket was cracked. Then a little lightbulb went on in my head and said "hey, the mechanic who looked at it was the same guy who installed your new head gasket last month", so yeah, i hope i dont break the thing before saturday. Thanks for the advice gurnsie:)

thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:28 pm

Okay on my way home from work i stopped and talked to the mechanic who actually looked at my car, instead of the guy in the office. He told me that he did a pressure test on the cylinder, and that the cylinder was dead. He also said that it could be a piston gasket, but either way the engine would need to be re-built, and considering the cost of a new engine, and the value of the car, it would be cheaper to just buy a new engine and drop it in than to bother rebuilding the old engine. He also told me that if i didn't floor the thing, it would run for a hell of a lot longer than 2 months on just the 3 remaining cylinders, although i would obviously lose some power. Basically if im gonna bother taking 3/4 of the engine apart to replace the piston ring, i might as well take the entire thing apart and rebuild it, which is not going to happen.

So thanks for your help everyone, but i think its time to write a letter to nissan in the hopes that they will give me a new car and a television commercial.

At any rate, looking to lease something decent for around 300 a month. Cant be a sports car and no SUV's. Anyone have any suggestions on a particularly nice car? I was looking at the subaru impreza for like 2 and change a month, nice ride, not a bad price either. Also interested in the galant, the new maxima, or maybe a no frills A4, but i was wondering what kind of cars you guys like.

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:08 pm

I have the 2001 Maxima SE anniverisary edition. Very nice car. I've looked at the new maxima redesign, and I don't like it. It looks like the bastard child if the new Altima and the new Z got together. Too Z-looking inside, and too Altima looking outside.
I dunno what all to reccomend though, but you should be able to get some good deals with all the low rates on cars lately.

By the way, you should consider cuting off the fuel going to that cylinder. Will save you a lot of gas, and also keep ejected fuel from igniting in the catalytic converter.

EDIT: Stay away from the Audi A4 and VW Jetta/Pasat that use the 1.8T engine. They've been having major problems with the coils dying, and VW finally just admitted to the problem.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:11 am

thanuk wrote:Okay on my way home from work i stopped and talked to the mechanic who actually looked at my car, instead of the guy in the office. He told me that he did a pressure test on the cylinder, and that the cylinder was dead. He also said that it could be a piston gasket, but either way the engine would need to be re-built, and considering the cost of a new engine, and the value of the car, it would be cheaper to just buy a new engine and drop it in than to bother rebuilding the old engine. He also told me that if i didn't floor the thing, it would run for a hell of a lot longer than 2 months on just the 3 remaining cylinders, although i would obviously lose some power. Basically if im gonna bother taking 3/4 of the engine apart to replace the piston ring, i might as well take the entire thing apart and rebuild it, which is not going to happen.

So thanks for your help everyone, but i think its time to write a letter to nissan in the hopes that they will give me a new car and a television commercial.

At any rate, looking to lease something decent for around 300 a month. Cant be a sports car and no SUV's. Anyone have any suggestions on a particularly nice car? I was looking at the subaru impreza for like 2 and change a month, nice ride, not a bad price either. Also interested in the galant, the new maxima, or maybe a no frills A4, but i was wondering what kind of cars you guys like.

Im a big fan of the dodge intrepid, very nice handling and a decent engine in a 'non-sports' car...

-g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world

These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives

All this I cannot bear to witness any longer

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:18 pm

As of right now im leaning heavily toward the subaru impreza. They have a deal running for 1700 down and 189 a month, which is the right price, and its a nice car with some power, good handling, and decent safety features, that isnt classified as a sports car as far as i know. Has anyone owned/currently own one of these cars or a legacy? Id like to ask you some questions about it.

Rylan wrote:EDIT: Stay away from the Audi A4 and VW Jetta/Pasat that use the 1.8T engine. They've been having major problems with the coils dying, and VW finally just admitted to the problem.

Thats pretty funny Rylan, thanks for the info. A friend of mine is actually trying to get the A4 right now, Im gonna talk to him about this. Another guy i know got a passat 2 months ago, but i guess its too late for him, unless they are recalling it. But thanx for telling me, you mayve just saved a good friend of mine a huge headache.

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:26 pm

Yeah, VW isn't doing an "official" recall, but will replace the coils free of charge. One of the people here at work were in to the dealer 6 times because of coil problems, and they finally replaced them with the new fixed ones. Apparently there is a huge waiting list right now too.

Here is the a link to some info:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/036/b ... ils+.shtml
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:59 pm

Couple of things Nuk.

You said leasing. Unless you own a business, leasing isn't going to do you any good. You will still have insurance payments, and you will have a continuous car payment. All you save is personal property tax. Plus, you don't own anything at the end and if you drive too much you'll be paying for that too.

For $300 a month, look into a program car. You can find any number of them near that range. My 98 Z34 Monte is only 329 over 5 years. With the extended warranty, it is covered for the entire time (or would be if I hadn't switched jobs and had to drive 200 miles a day for a month or 2). Even if it depreciated to a $1000 car at the end of that time, I still have more than if I leased it.

I don't know if you hate a certain car (I won't buy a Ford), but my 96 Cirrus was a very good car, and my Monte Carlo has been good. The Alero isn't bad (you want the GLS if you can), and someone mentioned an Intrepid. What you (well me actually) really want, and might even be able to get at 300-350 if you look aroun, is a Sebring Jxi. It is the good version of the convertible.

I have found 1 thing to be true; the extra money you pay for the top of the series program car (LXi over LX, Z34 over LS) is mostly still there when you get rid of the car. My Cirrus was an LX (1200 cheaper than the LXi) and when I went to trade it in, I was getting about 1000 less because of it. I would have been more than willing to pay 200 dollars to drive the LXI for the 2 1/2 years I had it. Bigger engine, a few extra options. This is not quite true for convertibles (they run about 4k more than the normal, but only hold about 1500-2k more value after 3-4 years).

Anyway enough rambling. This is what I have found buying cars, maybe I'm just un/lucky.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:15 pm

Well salen, here is my thinking. If i am to buy a car, i can either finance it or just pay cash straight up. If i pay cash, ill probably buy a car for around 5000 dollars. It will be an older car, with alot of mileage, and require repairs and maintenance costs that i wouldn't have to pay for on a lease, because i would be leasing a new car. If i finance the car, i will be paying for it for 5 years, quite possibly longer than i will have the car. My friend is facing a similar situation, he has a car with 2 years of payments left on it, that he has been dumping money into the whole time, and its falling apart at the seems. If i finance i will also be paying, after interest and etc, alot more than the value of the car for it, even if it has a warranty and i dont have to pay the cost of repairs, i will still be paying an inflated price for a car who's value is depleting even as i continue to pay for it. Sure i will own the car at the end, but by the time i finish paying for it, the car won't be worth anything anyway.

I have calculated the cost of leasing a car, and if i was to pay 300 dollars a month, and 3000 dollars down, i would be paying 4600 dollars a year to drive a brand new car for the next 3 years. There will be no servicing to pay for other than oil changes and maybe a tune up. I will have the option to buy the car at the end if i want to, or the option to get another new car to lease. If i had more money at my disposal now, purchasing a car would be an option. But since i dont, the only kind of car i could buy is either A) a piece of shit, or B) a decent car that i will end up paying a great deal more than its current value for. Leasing just makes more sense in my situation right now. I do prefer to own a car, when given the choice, because there is no restriction by dealers and banks and insurance companies on work you can do to it, insurance you are required to carry, and etc etc. But thats not really an option, and i can get a brand new car by leasing for around the same money that i would end up paying to purchase a decent used car, and avoid the potential for problems down the road. At the end of the lease i have nothing to show for it aside from 36,000 miles in a new car, but at the end of financing a used car i will have nothing to show for it but a car thats worth 2000 dollars or less, and i will almost assuredly end up paying 2000 more for the used car than i will have to pay for the lease, when all the interest is calculated and the sales tax etc etc. Buying is better when you have money, but leasing makes more sense when you dont is what it comes down to. and although im doing decently at my new job, im not exactly rolling in dough here, and i most certainly dont have cash laying around to go buying cars.:)

Yadir
Sojourner

Mazda Protege5

Postby Yadir » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:36 pm

Nukkie,

I've been doing a little homework on new cars because I'm gonna replace my '87 Acura Integra soon, I think (214,000 mi.)

I think the best small car deal is the 2003 Mazda Protege5 (or Protege sedan, for that matter). The Protege's are cheaper than most other cars in their class (Nissan Sentra, Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, etc.) and the most fun to drive according to Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddr ... ds=protege

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddr ... rds=suzuki

Consider this, you can buy a Protege for about $15-16,000 and get a 4 year/50000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance all included. (It's standard) The current financing deal is 0% for 60 months with 10% down. That means you pay $1600 down and your payments would be approx $250 / month. That's BUYING not leasing so you own it at the end.

Basically the car would only cost you oil changes and payments for 4 years. The roadside assistance is for the duration of the warranty period and even covers locking keys in your car, tows to dealership, etc.

Consumer Reports rates it as very reliable and a 'best buy' of used cars so I figure it's gonna hold up pretty well.

It's a buyers market for cars atm. Car manufacturers are about out of $$ incentives (can't get much lower than 0% financing) so they are offering longer bumper to bumper warranties and perks like 24hour roadside assistance for the duration of the factory warranty. Good Luck.

Yadir
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:48 pm

thanks alot yadir, i was looking at the protege as well. The main reason im considering the subaru over the protege is that i really like the way the subaru looks and handles, and i have never driven the protege, and i dont particularly like the hatchback body design. The new consumer reports ranks the cars nearly the same, although subaru outscores it in satisfaction and depreciation. It also says the subaru has a smoother ride and isn't as stiff in the suspension, which is good. The biggest selling point on the impreza is AWD, as i am used to RWD and dont like the lag on pickup of a FWD car. Definately in the running though, although subaru is still my first choice. I hope you have some luck getting your protege tho, its a nice looking peice of machinery, and scores high on all the consumer report tests.

Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:09 am

Gurns wrote:Hmm, perhaps your point is that if you break a crankshaft or piston arm when you're driving along at 60 mph, Really Bad Things can happen? I don't know enough to say.

I was driving my dad's pickup down the freeway, and a piston rod broke. There was the loudest crash and clatter (and the truck filled up with smoke), for about 20 seconds, then only wind and road noise. I rolled down the window and coasted over to the side of the road. Behind me, for about a quarter of a mile, was the contents of the engine. Opening the hood showed that the entire right side of the engine was gone, as well as the middle 3 pistons and rods (6 cylinder diesel). I walked back just to look at stuff, and picked up, briefly, a wrist pin. It gets right hot inside an engine :P.

Oh, and we have a 2000 Mazda Protege, and love it. We'll probably get another, and perhaps a Mazda pickup.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Asup
Sojourner

Postby Asup » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:59 am

Me personally I say take the Impreza.. Im a big WRC fan and its my favorite car so of course when I can afford(whenever I graduate outta HS 50 more days) one im going to buy one.. I have put in tons of research, and in 2-3 months there coming out with the WRX sTi..Dont think you are looking for a 300hp turbocharged AWD car though..Its also a super tough car as I have read in some reports that "it likes the abuse". So if you dont want the sTi. They still have the normal WRX(take the Sedan not the 2.5) It still comes with the 227 reported horsies without a muffler upgrade, and AWD of course with as many magazines have reported an awesome driving position and a smooth easy to find gears shifting system.

It's tough, it has power, Safe, and exteremely fun car. Just please... I beg you dont buy a honda.. whatever you do just not a honda =P
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:11 pm

I hate hondas. They are good cars and all, i hate the way they look, i hate the way they handle, and i hate the kind of people who drive hondas. Yeah i want the impreza too.

I wouldnt be getting the WRX with the performance upgrade, although id prefer to get the standard WRX. They are only offering the 189/month on the 2.5 RS though, which is the one i would probably get. Definately gonna get the sedan tho. Gonna go talk to a dealer or two on saturday to find out pricing, see if they might hook me up with a deal on the WRX that is relatively close in price to the RS, since they are trying so hard to get rid of the things. I gotta find out if the WRX is classified by insurance companies as a sports car though, because i cant pay insurance on a sports car since im only 22, its just too much cash.

Even the RS is good for me tho, its got 165 horsepower which is plenty for driving and not so much that im gonna be speeding all the time. Its a really nice looking car, it drives well, its great in the snow cuz of the AWD, and its got decent interior space and trunk etc. Its really just a great car, and the more i find out about it the more i want it:)

Still looking for someone who actually has/had one of these, or another subaru. Wondering if they break alot, like do they have crappy waterpumps or anything like that?

Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:49 pm

thanuk wrote:Still looking for someone who actually has/had one of these, or another subaru. Wondering if they break alot, like do they have crappy waterpumps or anything like that?

Quite a few of my freinds drive WRX sedans, here they are still classified as family sedans. Two (a 95 and a 98) sit at 220 hp (there are a lot of lil tweeks you can do to put it past this, most are cheep/free too!) but Joel, the bastard, kicks it in his 449 hp '01 Impresa WRX sti. He is also the only one of the three to have ANY problems with his car, often with valve timing and an oil leak no one can find. (it's a ghost plug I swear!)

All I can say about every Subaru I've ever been in... FUN WOW!!!!
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:38 pm

nukie bout 3 rolls of duct tape should fix it. duct tape the universal fix it :P
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:52 pm

Mikayla wrote:nukie bout 3 rolls of duct tape should fix it. duct tape the universal fix it :P

And if duct tape doesn't work, there's always Febreeze! ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”