evil anons

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Turxx
Sojourner

evil anons

Postby Turxx » Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:49 am

it occurs to me how much more formiable evils would be if we only grouped together, how can i ask you if yould like to join a group if i dont know yer on? now i ran around anon along time as to me in order to rp i needed to, but i want to take this moment to ask you to tog anon off, seems evils always short the one key member to do something, often times that person is around and available and only more than happy to join, once we figure out they are on the simply anon and noone knew it, so please, unless you are for some reason ashamed and wish to hide tog your anon off so we dont have to spend 3 days whoing all the anon char we know of
Grxx
Sojourner

Postby Grxx » Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:39 am

EVILS UNITE!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:16 pm

No shit, it's pathetic to have to alias

who grathnys
who sslarris
who zsasz
who gazhad
who kizzhar
who fazzir
who kimaz
who ossis
who pherl
who teyaha
who azaz
who vsrrinaek
who krolb
who wizag
who zazyg
who jaznolg
who zonariknik
who zoldren
who uggrra
who bezbhef
who edak
who narsliss
who zardox
who vjaerrak
who averon
who zipalodok
who dewnada
who gromsharulaz
who ayar
who hamibugan
who tordalkenus
who baldorak
who talkryz
who virarbazad
who zatorukkac
who ivaz
who yssilk
who grankusaklar
who kunrikan

etcetera.

Every single time instead of typing who.

Anon is fucking gay. Once, ok, but permanently?
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:39 pm

would not only quicken group organization, it would be a nice show of force to balance out the who list more into the evils favor. also i would think it would make others more inclined to play evil if they could see they had some allies, i know when toril went down and i went in search of a new place to mud the number of players was one of the first things i looked at when deciding if i wanted to log on and check it out
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:41 pm

Not so sure it would balance the evils out.
If goodies did same thing and un-togged anon.
There are plenty of them anon as well.
I used anon on my ench, but I would be in favor of the flag going away, maybe as a trial run to see how it went over.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:31 pm

I personally hate the idea, but one solution might be to make it so that anon players show up on the bottom of the list with simply anon where their class and level would normaly appear.

-Zen
Uggard
Sojourner

Postby Uggard » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:39 pm

or something along the lines of what Everquest did *cringes at mentioning that name and ducks for cover* heh a "friends" type list, example you just put that persons name in a field

Friend Chuxzu

"chuxzu has been added to your friends list"

Friend Gromsharulaz

"Gromsharulaz has been added to your friends list"

Who all friend

Friends online
------------------------------------
Gromsharulaz (Anon) Duergar
Chuxzu (Anon) Troll
2 total friends online
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:11 pm

Teyaha never anon.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:21 pm

i put in that idea once, to have anon chars show up on the who list minus their class and level, id like to see that happen, a friends list is a good idea too
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:25 pm

Well if nothing else. Thanks for the anon list cherzra :P
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:34 pm

good point turxx. i will unanon. until...
Kezer
Sojourner

Postby Kezer » Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:34 pm

They used to put the Anons in the who list and placed Anon in place of the class and level but I forgot why they changed it.
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:57 pm

Yeah.. I remember back when it was like that.. I'd guess it was changed because once you see someone non-anon, you pretty much know their class/level in the future.. particularly on the evil side.. and thus it serves no purpose other than to hide the class/level from newer players..

And you could almost always assume back then too that the anon people were of higher level.. and it didn't keep people from "bugging" you if you didn't want to be bugged..

-Laxlez
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:35 pm

Suggestion:

Make another toggle, and alter tog anon.

Toggle anonymous: Toggles it so you do not show your class and level on the who list, but your name DOES show up.

Toggle private: Toggles it so you do not show up on the who list at all.

This way, people who want to be invisible to the playerbase can be, and those who simply want to hide their class and/or level, can also, while still being seen.
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:38 pm

I thought about suggesting that.. but by the time I got to the end, I had forgotten about it.. heh

So now an anecdote...

I remember when I was still little on Soj1 and I walked to the pool in Ghore and found Grunthar sitting there. Now he had been anon for a while, but of course showing up on the "who" list because that's how things were set up back then. Man did I feel cool when he not only gave me some EQ, but talked to me too! Here was this guy that had to know a lot about the game.. I knew he was high level and anon most of the time.. and he was talking to me. Damn it felt good to be a little troll shammie then.. heh.

So all's I'm saying is this: the old Anon was cool! So bring it back.. and do what Malacar suggested, add a new "private" toggle that has the effects of the current anon.

-Laxlez (formerly little Fierthor /><\ Priest - Dark Alliance)
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Mon Oct 15, 2001 11:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Suggestion:

Toggle anonymous: Toggles it so you do not show your class and level on the who list, but your name DOES show up.

Toggle private: Toggles it so you do not show up on the who list at all.

This way, people who want to be invisible to the playerbase can be, and those who simply want to hide their class and/or level, can also, while still being seen.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I kicked him in the head till he was dead!"

I don't think most players who tog anon permanently are ashamed of their class and/or level. Instead I believe they want the majority of the player base not to know they are on. Thus a private toggle defeats the WHOLE reason Turxx started this thread, and Cherzra’s follow up complaint. Which was, to get people to be visible to the rest of the mud community without having to use an alias to find everyone. It is pretty easy to make an alias “tell player you there?” to every person instead of doing “who player”.

As for people who tog anon at low levels and then un-anon at higher, yes it's usually because they feel ashamed about being puny. BIG DEAL! I say to these people. How are some of us going to help you out at those low levels if we don't know you are lowlevel? Think about it. 2+2!=3

The only time I ever remotely understood the anon tog was for when you really didn't want to be bothered, yet wanted to still send tells to friends. Well with consent grouping option now, I don't see tog'n tells as such a big deal anymore. If you don't want people bothering you, tog your tells and group your friends.

I personally would rather have Soj show anon players in the who list just like Duris/Bast does. As Cherzra mentioned, it’s dam annoying to make mass aliases, especially on squid/duergar names! Ever get a tell from an Anon squid in the middle of battlespam? Good luck getting back to them =P

Perm Anons = Wankers

Yeah I said it! It had to be said, so I said it.

My two retarded Zhents,

Caedym
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:26 am

i think most anon folks are after couple things. relief from tells or dont wanna group/zone. Tells thing is especially true for leaders.

Other than leaders, seems most people tog anon once they either dont care to be invited to groups or have enough friends that they are reasonably confident of being involved if something goes down.

tog tell doesnt work because you usually want tells, but you only want to get tells related to the present matter (zone/group) or from really good friends.

i hate the anon stuff because if someone needs help they dont know your on. i think of anon as a im not interested in helping/associating with people i dont know toggle or i am super busy/at work and i cant really do anything but i logged on for chat.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:37 pm

I don't agree Caedym. I tog anon when I am grouped usually, and almost never mind people knowing I am on.

But that's only my opinion.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Oct 16, 2001 5:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>I don't agree Caedym. I tog anon when I am grouped usually, and almost never mind people knowing I am on.

But that's only my opinion.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um that's nice and all Malacar, but I wasn't addressing the subject of people who tog anon temporarily when they get into a group for a few hours, or what have you. I was talking about reasons people PERMANENTLY tog anon, or those reasons why people tog anon at 11th and then don't untog anon until 40+. In other words for EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. Sorry for the confusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Caedym:
The only time I ever remotely understood the anon tog was for...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was a view from personal experience, during the few times I'd actually tog anon because of massive spam. Like when you are holding 5 engaging conversations with people all over the mud at the same time, plus 2-8 icq IMS a minute, talking on OOC, and answering n00b questions on NHC.

Eventhough this thread is supposedly about Evil Anons, we could use imput from why everyone togs anon. You've listed the instances when you tog anon, but you lacked to state why?

I'd be interested to know why you felt the need to toggle it?

A note to Cherzra:
I wanted to say thank you for the alias you've supplied in this thread, and in gratitude, I've decided to start collecting the names of all those Perm Anon evils, and eventually list them. Most especially if they are the types that don't like grouping with others, or are in general Anti-Social to the general Evil Populace.

"Before the week is out, we're gonna knock down their doors and shed the light of the law on that nest of vipers!"
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:43 pm

<B>Suggestion:
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Malacar on several points. Myself, I RARELY tog anon. But sometimes I get spammed with requests. Usually if I am anon, it means leave me alone. I don't want to be in who sort. If I am anon with tells togged, it means leave me the fuck alone Image.

Seriously, some muds have the 2 levels of anon. Usually pkill muds though. If people want to be anon, that's their right. Its not my style though.

Trogar
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Oct 16, 2001 11:16 pm

I have been anon maybe a total of 3 times in my life. Most recently cause Trogar made me so nobody else knew I was level 38...37...and eventually 36. People have no faith in people under 40, it hurts our feelings!

Glorishan
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:22 am

Wait..you mean to tell me that I've been able to tog anon the past 6 years and I didn't even know there was a flag?!?

DOH!

:P

--He who logs off if he doesn't wanna be seen.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:26 pm

The friends list is a great idea, maybe we should consider getting this tested out..

I think there should just be a seperate list for anon ppl, it'll list you there but anon

And if you really dont want to be messed with, log off Image *tease*
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 18, 2001 7:09 am

Why a friends list? Just make an alias client-side. Waste of code IMHO.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:45 pm

I have lots of chars as my friends know, (some dont even know them all :P ) I tog anon alot of times because I am busy at work doing things and dont have time to scroll and check tells and respond, or just plain want to solo w/o gettin spam o tells for help/xp/eq/?'s/etcetc. togging tells yes would be an option but then, when I awake I wouldnt be able to talk to my friends right? let people have their anon, if you dont like it, dont group /talk to them :P dont complain you cant find anyone, half the time when people are anon *not perma anon* its because they dont have time to do xyz.. some just like to be left alone....
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Oct 20, 2001 11:12 pm

Did you know there's actually a group of 11+ evils who are lvl 41+, and nobody knows them? They never group with anyone and I hadn't even heard of them until today when I heard they were doing SG. With the whole anon gang of course, nobody else invited.

I'm glad this is still a 'group' mud. Group with yourself and F the rest, that is.

Funny at least there are stil 10 evils playing then. Everyone else is gone.

Cherzra anon is stupid as hell
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:53 am

Welcome to being a goodie on Sojourn, Cher :P

- Ragorn
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:11 am

Cherzra seems to be on the wrong side of the sting this time..

Yayaril
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:12 pm

sorry to see you go, but goodies got some good people. goodies, evil good some good people too.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Did you know there's actually a group of 11+ evils who are lvl 41+, and nobody knows them? They never group with anyone and I hadn't even heard of them until today when I heard they were doing SG. With the whole anon gang of course, nobody else invited.

I'm glad this is still a 'group' mud. Group with yourself and F the rest, that is.

Funny at least there are stil 10 evils playing then. Everyone else is gone.

Cherzra anon is stupid as hell</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know nothing about this, but here is some of that list I was working on fer ya.

Perm Anon Evils I've come accross: (usually grouped together only)
Sikame (Drow)
Odak (39th Ogre Shaman)
Vudak (Orc)
Rekas (Drow)
Odu (Ogre)
Vixis (Yuanti)
Karres (Yuanti)
Urz (Troll) (This is an old troll name, dunno if is the same Urz tho.)
Gog (Troll)

I know nothing about these people other then what I've gathered from personal experience, which is: they don't talk to anyone else, play during USA times peak hours, or letchya into their groups.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:01 pm

chuckle
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:37 pm

actually i manage to get into their group. they are rl friends. they are pretty dang funny. they even offer to become my buddy cuz i have none. we even started to sing songs together. i feel so included now. i also told them that cherlize from "mighty joe young" was my gf and they believed it. xxaz and i had the biggest laugh. but they are cool guys. i actually knew some of them from previous wipes. anyways let them be when they get big enuf to zone i'm sure they will unanon.

sok
thrankon
Sojourner

Postby thrankon » Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:25 pm

Heh, I've been in their groups a few times.. Urz is a good shit from the old days, am sure some of the others mentioned are old days alts too. They are just here to have some fun and if they wanna stick together then so be it. Gluck to all who play Image

thran
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:28 am

Sok, they are zoning, and they are still anon. Being anon and non-existant to the rest of the mud because you never take it off nor ever group with anyone else really does the mud and the pbase a whole lot of good.

I mean when you have 4 free slots and type who and see a handful of other 40+ people on, you think they wouldn't like to come? Hell if we all thought like that there would be NO evil pbase. We always take along other ppl to stuff out the group even if we don't really need them. Rather, I do, I know some others don't either, which is just lame. Like refusing to take along Thrankon even though we have 2 free slots - pathetic.

So if your're reading this, don't be an ass, go un anon and mingle with other people.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 10-26-2001).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”