Football thread, American

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Football thread, American

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:55 am

You know, in the world of professional american sports, I find it amazing just how far above the competition the NFL really stands.

The NFL has the best salary cap/free agency system among the major sports, keeping competition thriving and fierce. Of the last 10 years, 9 teams have won titles. Very few other sports avoid that sort of non-dynasty struggles.

But, what fascinates me, is that either A) the NFL has the best PR people in the world, or B) the NFL players and league as a whole go out of their way to give back to the communities that support them. Football players all make frequent and public contributions to charities, raising awareness and setting examples for other people. They participate actively in their community. In tampa, the bucs players have always been known for helping the kids and needy, and the attention they have gotten as champions has only increased their drive.

I know other teams go out of their way to show appreciation for the support they get from their fans. Seeing football players at local hospitals, homeless shelters, schools. Fighting poverty, ignorance, and abuse - the NFL always seems to be there somewhere, helping out.

And the NFL players have always gone out of their way to support the American military, and we know how many men and women love the sport of football, so you can't help but realize that the support of these players to the people that protect them means a lot for people who are in need of support at a time when the world is talking them down.

Maybe other sports do these things, maybe they do it more than the NFL, but I don't see it. I see basketball players in whorehouses, baseball players bitching about needing more than 12 million a year, and football players in soup kitchens. I know hands down which sport my role models come from, and I hope that my kids follow my lead, and choose a sport where the players more often than not publicly demonstrate a respect for community as opposed to flaunting wealth as a sign of success.

I love the NFL.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Ensis
Sojourner

Re: Football thread, American

Postby Ensis » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:39 pm

Daz wrote:You know, in the world of professional american sports, I find it amazing just how far above the competition the NFL really stands.

The NFL has the best salary cap/free agency system among the major sports, keeping competition thriving and fierce. Of the last 10 years, 9 teams have won titles. Very few other sports avoid that sort of non-dynasty struggles.

But, what fascinates me, is that either A) the NFL has the best PR people in the world, or B) the NFL players and league as a whole go out of their way to give back to the communities that support them. Football players all make frequent and public contributions to charities, raising awareness and setting examples for other people. They participate actively in their community. In tampa, the bucs players have always been known for helping the kids and needy, and the attention they have gotten as champions has only increased their drive.

I know other teams go out of their way to show appreciation for the support they get from their fans. Seeing football players at local hospitals, homeless shelters, schools. Fighting poverty, ignorance, and abuse - the NFL always seems to be there somewhere, helping out.

And the NFL players have always gone out of their way to support the American military, and we know how many men and women love the sport of football, so you can't help but realize that the support of these players to the people that protect them means a lot for people who are in need of support at a time when the world is talking them down.

Maybe other sports do these things, maybe they do it more than the NFL, but I don't see it. I see basketball players in whorehouses, baseball players bitching about needing more than 12 million a year, and football players in soup kitchens. I know hands down which sport my role models come from, and I hope that my kids follow my lead, and choose a sport where the players more often than not publicly demonstrate a respect for community as opposed to flaunting wealth as a sign of success.

I love the NFL.

Football players have their share of bad seeds in their own right, but I agree you don't see as much in the news about them. Maybe its because I live in Portland and constantly see trouble with the Jailblazers, in addition to whats going on with the NBA players. Baseball players kindof wrecked the sport with the strikes so long ago, and it's been a long time recouperating. This may be because I don't follow it so much, and because we dont have an NHL team here in Portland, but I'm inclined to believe there are some good dudes there too. Soccer as well, though again I don't follow it so much. The individual sports, besides having a few prima donnas you don't see a whole lot of scandal either.

I think the reason Football does so well is it's the one sport thats most like a combat unit. You've got your Captains on either side, and listen to any interview right now with Atlanta Cumpler and Price will say that in Vick's absence, "I think he's(Doug Johnson) a guy that you can go to war with."

They actually have leaders within the unit to keep things going, in the Quarterbacks and Linebackers. I think the rest of the sports focus too much on the individual making the team better, instead of the team making the individual better.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:06 pm

and that, is just another reason that i love the NFL so passionately.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:38 pm

Daz wrote:and that, is just another reason that i love the NFL so passionately.

nah, you just like to watch them slap each other's arses after a good play and to watch the qb get the snap out of the I formation.
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:53 pm

I have a client that I spoke that used to work for NBC Sports, and then he moved over to Fox Sports. In any regard, this is what he told me, in HIS own words.

NFL players have limited time in the cities that they travel to. They fly in on a Saturday and have a league mandated curfew. They play their game and are on a plane a couple of hours after the game. Frequently, they are in pain (hurt/not injured) and as such they may not feel like partying it up.

MLB players are in a town for a stint of 2-5 days. They're big thing is that they get together for lunch. The drug of choice for baseball players is X.

NBA players are also in towns for a number of days. They're big thing is video games and what games you play. Apparently, 90% of all NBA smoke chronic, thus the league does on test for it.

I don't agree with alot of his comments. Although I think it does make intuitive sense that NFL players are not exposed to as much "mob mentality" as other sports given the short period of time that they are in any given city. I suppose this is why the superbowl is such a big deal for so many players as it is one of the only times that they can hang out with each other in a group setting.
Osil
Sojourner

Postby Osil » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:33 pm

I agree that the NFL is one of the tightest run ships when it comes to marketing and making money. The owners actually seem to work hard in putting on the best possible face for the sport.

It also helps when NFL stars aren't accused of rape like Kobe or spoiled asses like Barry Bonds. Also it helps that NFL players aren't juiced up or a bunch of potheads.

The only comparison to the NFL you could make is NASCAR. They go all out to promote their sport and have their drivers do public service and go out and meet the fans. They also have a savvy marketing machine that promotes the sport and makes a ton of money for them.

I read a story in SI that many NASCAR fans don't drive any brand of car but the one their favorite driver drives or use a similar product pushed by their rival. The example they gave was that a Dale Earnheart Jr. fan wouldn't drink any other beer but Budweiser (which is his lead sponsor.)
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:06 am

O.J. Simpson. Ray Lewis. Former pro bowl lineman who's name i forget (played for dallas during the repeat superbowls) who got caught with 2200 lbs of marijuana in a van in New Orleans. No steroids? You must be smoking crack if you think football players dont do steroids. Randy Moss ran over a cop. Clarett took money in college, he aint in the NFL yet but he will be. Bill Romanowski has assaulted a team mate every year he has been in the league. Brian Griese "tripped over his dog" after he drank 2 bottles of Jameson after his AA meeting.

Football players are just like everyone else. Its just that in football, every once in a while, and i do mean rarely, you'll see a guy like Curtis Martin. Curtis Martin is the first man in the gym every day, the last one to leave every night. He does charity work the entire off-season. And when he scores a touchdown, he doesn't dance, or taunt, or run around like a retard, he hands the ball to the referee and goes to the sideline. It's people like him who make the NFL great. But don't put football players in general on a pedestal; most of them are more like Bill Romanowski than Curtis Martin.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:47 pm

Go Vinny! Didn't he impersonate a quarterback on Thursday night? His ass should be arrested for that.
Meatshield
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:14 pm

are there any stories of current tampa players other than pittman with social problems? to my knowledge, most tampa players are reknown for their charity work and contributions. alstott is my role model, derrick brooks runs a homeless shelter, lots of the players are like that
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:45 pm

Warrick Dunn used to buy homes for people in the hood. But he is in Atlanta now - someone should burn them there houses down. GO BUCS!

Can we give Keyshaun back to the Jets? That dude's mouth never stops - give us Vinnie and a couple offensive linemen and call it good.

If we loose to Phily tonight I will cry.

-Toarn
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:51 am

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHH

Nice special teams play today, fellas. 1-1. nuff said.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'

You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'

Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'

You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:25 am

I cant get used to liking football.

So this year I decide im ganna follow the bucs,

And then I watch a bengals game and they actually do damn well (for the bengals), for 3.99 quarters,

And blow it to a turnover and then a field goal in like the last 9 seconds.

So disappointing.

Go bucs?

-G
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:59 pm

Ahh....nothing better then watching the Chumps (oops, sorry Champs) play special teams like a high school team.

P.S. Broncos rule. Watch them in the Superbowl, Plummer or not.
Meatshield

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”