Anybody Hiring?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Anybody Hiring?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:01 am

So I've just graduated with a degree in Computer Science. Luckily for me the job market completely sucks right now...

So I was wondering if any of you work for a company that might be looking for programmers?

There's a resume at http://www.cs.rit.edu/~mcr1276/Resume.html if you wanna check that out, or show a manager or something.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:59 pm

Just as a tip, I'd suggest you mention exactly which platforms you have experience with in your skills and programming languages section. I see you mention at the top that you have experience with C++ on multiple platforms, but it might be a good idea to mention which platforms those were.

Also you should mention if you received a B.S., or B.E. in computer science instead of a B.A., many jobs require a Bachelor of Science or Engineering.

As to jobs, go for a government job, they pay a lot better than most people believe :wink:
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:33 pm

Yeah, been meaning to add what OSes I have experience with... but doesn't seem like it belongs in the Programming Language/Skills section and couldn't think of a good heading for it.

Also added the BS degree to my Word resume, but haven't done it yet on the web resume... thanks for reminding me. :)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:00 pm

What I did in my resume was to put a section called:

Computer Skills

and then I listed everything under that, even MS windows

Computer Skills:
Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux, C, C++, JAVA, Scheme, Prolog, 3dsMAX, etc etc

I even put networking in there.
Often it seems that for screening purposes employers will just glance over your skill list and see if you've got what they're looking for, so it's good to put even nit-picky type stuff down, like SQL and even Microsoft Office. I once had a company interview me solely because I had 3dsMAX on my skill list, which I used back in high school (unfortunately the job was about 3 hours away by commute, so I decided against it).

I just started a new job one week ago so I know my resume works :) that's why I'm even bothering to mention. I didn't do mine like yours though, with the web resume and such, that's a really good idea.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:06 pm

Yeah, mentioned pretty much ever language I've ever even written a single line of code in on my resume. I tend to pick them up as I use them anyway really... so I'd learn any new language they threw at me pretty quick. I just need employers to start throwing new languages at me. ;)

I like the way mine is done with the html, but sometimes I just can't submit that. Especially through something like monster.com, if you use their application thing it's either their resume builder, a word doc or a text file...

I'll probably start sneaking it in as an attachment instead of a word resume when I do emails.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:14 pm

OK, suggested changes have been made.

Now, this new job of yours... they looking for more people? :innocent:

Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:37 pm

I work for the Department of Defense doing C++ programming, it's highly possible that we'll get more positions available in the next few months since we're getting in a number of new government contracts, but there's nothing available now. I'd definitely recommend government work, though. I'm actually at work right now - as far as I can tell there's no firewall, we have complete internet access and freedom to do as we please as long as we get our work done.

With flexitime I get every other Friday off which is really good.. and the people here are incredibly nice, with luck it's like this at most government facilities (people aren't stressed enough to be nasty :wink: ).

As to pay rates, people believe government jobs don't pay well... and that is true, for normal gov't jobs. But not for science and engineering.

If you have a good GPA (I believe the cutoff is either 3.0 or 3.2) you will start as a GS-7, which means you get $40,000 a year and a $10,000 sign-on bonus. That gets raised to GS-9 which is I believe $47k or $49k after only 6 months. Then a year after that, it's raised again to something like $56k, in another year it's raised up to $64k (or it might be $72k, my bosses keep telling me different things). So after 2 and a half years you're making 65-70k a year, with every other Friday off (a lot of places you can even take every Friday off if you do slightly longer days) and you get a month of paid vacation time, AND a month of sick leave at that point.

After that you can apply for higher pay-grade steps (the ones you've gotten so far are AUTOMATIC). Up to GS-12 you get automatically, then a GS-13 is around 80-93k depending on which step you get, GS-14 is 90-110k or so, and GS-15 you can up to 130k. So don't believe people when they say that government work doesn't pay well, it's actually a very good system :)
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:43 pm

By the way, check out this website:
www.kiermud.com

And see what you think. I know you like rangers, and that's what of the things that drew me there.

And in case any imms read this, it's not a MUD ad, the MUD isn't even open, it's just a webpage.
Last edited by Rynlaeis on Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:43 pm

Bleh. Two of my friends started at $60K as soon as they graduated. They actually had the jobs lined up like two weeks before the end of classes... this was like 2 years ago though. :(

Unfotunately, my GPA isn't very good. I'm a fairly good programmer... but I'm a lousy student. Meaning that I'll work for hours and hours to get a coding project done, then put off my literature paper until the night before it's due. :(

Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:45 pm

Where does one look into getting a government job?
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:49 pm

http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

$60k is nice to start but with 40k and a sign-on bonus of $10k, plus a raise to 49k after 6 months, you end up making 55k in the first year anyway. And then you get automatic raises all the time, plus the work isn't very stressful (the most important factor :wink: ) so I think it's worth it. I got offered a job for 65k but turned it down in favor of this one (plus it was in London... lol).

And yeah, the job market 2 years ago was great for compsci.. now it's really swamped..
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:51 pm

Thanks.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”