Are you sick of news about . . .

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Are you sick of news about . . .

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:36 pm

. . . the ongoing issues revolving around the RIAA? Here is an interesting article from Wired about the alternate uses of p2p networking. Apparently, slashdot mentions this article with the footnotes that a large part of the RIAA claim against the p2p networks is that they have little to no use for any purpose outside of illegal file-sharing of copyrighted materials. However, here they seem to be paying for and using this same information . . . which undermines their own suit. Interestingly, they seem willing to do this even though it counters their argument . . . why? Because it affects their sales. :D[/url]
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:22 pm

The RIAA can bite my ass, and if they want to come pick me up and toss me in jail for file sharing, they can just bring their big brother butts right on in and get me. They can cry me a river about how cheated they're being, when the recording industry has done everything in its power for years to cheat their artists out of every penny they can. They're like trial lawyers who get fat off of mass lawsuits, where a few attorneys split multiple millions and each plaintiff gets mailed a check for $0.58.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:10 pm

One thing I never understood about this whole thing. If I buy a CD, it becomes my property...yes the songs that are on the CD are considered (intellectual?) property of the artists, or whoever owns the copyright at the time, but since I'm not charging, making a profit, from these songs that I am giving to other people, shouldn't that be legal...I can give out my lucky charms if I want to, why doesn't General Mills sue me for that? Or does this logic only work on Perishable goods?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:18 pm

Kifle wrote:One thing I never understood about this whole thing. If I buy a CD, it becomes my property...yes the songs that are on the CD are considered (intellectual?) property of the artists, or whoever owns the copyright at the time, but since I'm not charging, making a profit, from these songs that I am giving to other people, shouldn't that be legal...I can give out my lucky charms if I want to, why doesn't General Mills sue me for that? Or does this logic only work on Perishable goods?

No, I'm pretty sure if you buy a box of screws and some screwdrivers and give them away you won't get sued ;)

What concerns me is that in many cases, instead of the songs being the intellectual property of the writer, they belong to some conglomerate. Recently an artist was sued for resembling himself on a subsequent album after he sold the rights to the first album to a corporation. He had to go to court and get a bunch of people to testify about issues of style.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:37 pm

Don't forget that the RIAA has the same bunch of assholes who are pushing for technology to prevent you from putting the music on your CDs onto any other form of media. You just bought a CD.. oops, you can't play it on your computer because of our gay copy protection that makes windows not recognize it as a CD.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:45 pm

Kifle wrote:but since I'm not charging, making a profit, from these songs that I am giving to other people, shouldn't that be legal...

Up until about a year ago, that's actually how it worked because copyright law with pertanance to music still only reflected the days where people bootlegged on magnetic tape. The only stipulation was that you could only distribute the copies among friends and not for profit. This whole mess was caused by the record companies really not keeping up on the times, as new technology came out the laws should have been adjusted to best protect the artists.

However, there is still the issues of record costs. Who the hell in thier right mind buys cd's with maybe one or two good songs on them for 20 dollars? Since the pirating wars began, they have tried extras, exclusive dvd's and a plethora of other ways to keep people buying cd's with the exception of just keeping it simple and lowering the cost of thier albums. Anyone still in denial about cost to produce etc is kidding themselves, the record execs determine thier own salaries. It costs 12 cents to print a mass produced cd, who are they kidding that cd's can't hit the >$10 mark and still be profitable?

All that said, I own the cd for every song I have on mp3, just under 200 cds at an avg of $16 meaning I've sunk over $3000 on music in the past 8 years. So they can f***ing blow me and everyone they are singling out who has contributeded at all to their paycheques.

If they keep this up, I'm just going to stop buying cd's. Music shouldn't be free, but it can be cheap and achieve profit by volume. The music industry would do well to learn from the birds and not shit in thier own nest.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:02 pm

yeah, sil - most mp3's i have that i dont own the cd that corresponds with just means i haven't gotten to it yet. i purchase several cd's a month, but to be honest - im starting to think that I should be suing THEM for ripping my ass off all these years. its really starting to get on my nerves at how they are treating their own customers to reflect their inability to adapt.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:30 pm

Does anyone else find it sad that our society would rather blast the RIAA for pursuing it's own best interest, albeit in a misguided fashion, rather than pay any attention to the book on child rearing Daz posted in his other thread at about the same time?

I guess people would rather be entertained for free than ensure their children don't grow up to be murderers.

Quite frankly most of the people I know who pirate music seem to feel a sense of entitlement. As if they somehow deserve to have free music, movies, games or even software. For every Daz and Silsaterur out there who (mostly) legally own their music, there are 20 fratboys who download it just because they can when their rich parents give them tons of money they could be using to actually legally purchase the music.

A few nights ago there was a commercial on showing all the people who make movies, such as gaffers and key grips, and reminding us that pirating movies cuts into their jobs and salaries. Both my roomate and a friend who was over acted with extreme bitterness to the ad, as if wanting to make money so people could have jobs was an evil thing. All I could think was that the commercial made a good point, and was being far more benevolent than the RIAA. The only thing I can conclude is that they both felt they had some right to free movies.

The funny thing is neither of them are really into movies anyway...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:31 pm

I've got over 700 cds... been buying since 1985. However, in the last couple of years, I've probably only bought about 10-20... because I subscribe to www.emusic.com. It's an mp3 only site that lets you download mp3s that they have negotiated distribution contracts for. If you're into current massmarket music, you probably won't find anything there you like, but, if you're into classical, jazz, folk, whatever, you'll find a boatload. I've downloaded and burned 50+ cdr's worth of music (500+ albums).

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:02 am

Sarvis wrote:Quite frankly most of the people I know who pirate music seem to feel a sense of entitlement. As if they somehow deserve to have free music, movies, games or even software.

Link

The Law wrote:No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings

Q: Why would the RIAA stand for such a law?

A: Because whatever they lost they were making back (and more) with a HUGE tax on all recording devices and recordable media! That's right, you line the pockets of the RIAA even when you buy BLANK CDs :D

All the RIAA is interested in is money. The prospect of artists losing royalty revenue from the passage of this law (circa 1992 if you care) didn't bother them, because they'd already been paid by bootleggers from sales of recorders and blank tapes/CDs.

What has changed now is that you don't need those blank tapes and CDs anymore (although they're still used a great deal). However, so long as that tax is up, prosecuting for violation of copyright has no legal basis. It's Hilary Rosenburg trying to have her pound of flesh and eat it too.

Damaramu on SD.net has much more on the topic.

EDIT: As for me personally I don't download copyrighted music, mostly because I listen to .mods and other tracker stuff.

I dislike the RIAA and I support artists getting money. If you have a favourite band, see if they have a direct download plan on their website. Lots do, and the money goes straight to the musician.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:01 pm

8)

I get free music from the radio..
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:44 am

"Are you sick of news about . . ."

Iraq and the middle east turmoil. Nuff said.
BEER
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:51 pm

Another thing I just thought of...The musicians only get pennies from each sale of a CD. Most of they money comes in from concerts and other things. All in all they are losing around 100k or so a year out of the millions they already make. yeah 100k is a buttload of money to you and me, but some of these guys blow that much on a suit or dress. IMO they make a lot more than what they should. How much more does being a musician really contribute to society than a teacher or doctor making a tiny fraction of what they make. I say pay to see them in concert and get the music for free while you can. Hell, most people only download the music they can get from recording off the radio...they just want a better sound quality. Because we all know nothing since '92 has had more than 1 or 2 good or catchy songs per album. And that song or both of those songs are at one point played until nauseum sets in on the radio anyway. It's a load of crap and I bet the cases wont hold worth a shit in court.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:15 pm

Yup. If the record companies weren't screwing the singers left and right and acting like a bunch of greezy Nazis then I might actually feel bad about everyone downloading music instead of buying it. Also as you mentioned albums now have at best 2 or 3 songs worth listening to, and the others are just filler.

Another thing is the majority of music you can download off Kazaa isn't even good quality.. its got encoding artifacts such as beeps, clicks and low frequency distortion. Most of it is 128kbps MP3, which is "near CD quality", NOT actual cd quality. Play it on a semi-decent set of speakers and you can hear the difference. I'd love to see someone get a decent defense lawyer and call an audio specilist to the stand and blast the RIAA over quality and how what you get online isn't the same as the cd, then bring up how they aren't going after people recording songs off the radio or onto tape because that is lower quality than the original. Either that or put one of the 12 yeear olds on the stand that they are suing and have them start crying, that'll make great press for them :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:19 am

I think I feel more disgust towards the whole "Ben and Jen" bullshit. I don't think the RIAA can hunt me down for jpop.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”