Gnolls .. or other neutral or evil chaotic/crazy race

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Korin
Sojourner

Gnolls .. or other neutral or evil chaotic/crazy race

Postby Korin » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:33 pm

??? are furry, gruesome, savage, and generally an avoided race of Faerun. Big game hunters value them for their remarkable pelts, which can vary remarkably in color and design, much like domesticated dogs. Their eyes are usually dark brown, yellow, or rarely bluish. Their faces are usually canine in appearance, with a muzzle full of sharp teeth. Their bodies resemble a human, but the hands and feet are adorned with razor sharp claws. Their legs are more shaped for running on all fours and resemble a muscular canine leg. ??? are generally more agile than other races and quite dexterous, however, due to their primitive and savage lives, they aren't all that smart. They are quite adept at hunting and finding prey, even in the dark. They have also adapted corrosive saliva, which they can use to spread disease when they bite their victims. They usually thrive in dense forests and woodlands. Their society is more of a primitive man environment including huts, and small clans. Each settlement is usually over saw by a tribal leader who dictates the area.
<>
Class: Other (only this race can be this class, much like illithid/Psi's)
<>
??? Stats: highest agility, second highest dex.. base str/con, low int/wis
<>
Innates - infravision (constant), bite (constant), spit (blind spell, 1/day), rage (haste, 1/day), outdoor sneak (constant)... (maybe also protection from cold 1/day or 1/2days)
<>
Equipment: They fall under fighter class restrictions and can use almost any armor and weapon. They are somewhat limited in the use of misc magic items such as wands. Because of their muzzles, they are unable to wear masks. ??? gain a 20% bonus to damage while wielding claw weapons.
(only give them 1h misc, so people don't run around with em using spanky swords)
<>
claw (kick)-dmg dependant on proficiency, 2 round lag, higher stun rate
dodge-avoid based on proficiency
parry-deflect based on proficiency
*double attack-extra attack based on proficiency
*dual wield-two weapons, second hit based on proficiency
hitall-lag based on # of monsters attempted to hit, hit each once dependant on proficiency
*blindfight-based on proficiency, little loss in fighting abilities when blind or dark
riposte-success greatly depends on parry, weak dmg counter hit
awareness-see sneakers, outdoor sneak, less backstabs
howl-save or suffer loss to melee abilities (high if not masterable)
surprise-chance for first hit based on proficiency
*track-if success you'll find the shortest route to your prey (enhanced b/c of smell sense)
escape-choose direction to flee
infravision-see life forms in the dark
*1hmisc-master, only weapon type (claws give this race %bonus to hitroll(maybe dam))
1hbludg- maybe
<>
bite-dmg dependant of lvl, rabies (can poison,dmg based on lvl(added fx?, sleep/para chance after 46?))
<>
* - can master this ability
<>
level40+ new skill ideas
reincarnation-dependant on level, small to decent (10-50% at highest proficiency) chance for your corpse to simply stand back up, and draw your spirit back into itself. Upon being reincarnated you'd regain lost exp, and be at 75% of resurrection fatigue (should be enough to move). Through this regenerative process you'd regain about 75% of your base hps (enough to survive long enough to flee if need be.) (This would be a quest skill/innate, where they'd have to get in touch with their spirit side, doable at 11)
*note* if you critically fail reincarnate, it'd be the same as a failed res:
"your corpse is too far beyond repair and you failed to pull yourself together"
*Update* Perhaps this would work better as an innate you can use after a quest at 11 or 16 which gets better as you level, working about 50% of the time at level 50.

cannibalize-eat a corpse to become stronger, doesn't stack, and increases temporarily hit/dam/str/-dex. Moderate duration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arguments for using them:
==========================
<>
* daywalking hitters, same str/hps as orcs but with more agi/dex (not as smart)
* excel in tracking, blindfighting, claws, dual/double
* useful mid-fight skills such as: bite (poison, and maybe sleep/para), claw (stunning move), howl
* since reincarnate will be hard to practice it'll probably trigger 30%ish, meaning for those times they won't have to bug a cleric for resurrection, only slightly better exp-wise
* eating corpses can give them something to do after fights or in mems to help make them adequate
* can't really replace any class, but would be a fun addition
* rage once a day to help when there's no haster
* probably a northern or eastern (from WD) hometown location, or maybe on the skull/traders S.E area
<>
Arguments against using them:
==============================
<>
* only 1 weapon type proficiency (misc)
* weaker than most evil fighter races
* few hps for a tank (agility bonus)
* can't drag ogres or maybe not duergar either
* no uber damage skills like backstab or assassinate or vital strike
* base eq slots minus masks

===========================================

I wrote this up and have been discussing it with some players and gods. So far I've gotten mostly positive things about it. I know that it's somewhat challenging to add a race like this, and especially at the moment probably impossible.

I decided to post it since, if it ever goes in, it would probably have to be talked about first, so I might as well get the ball rolling.

Personally, I really like it because I like to be a dual wielding crazy, slobbering, berzerker type sorta thing. And yes I've done rogues, and assassins, and that's not quite what I'm aiming for.

I guess I like to think with more variety people have more RP options. A lot of people might say it's stupid because they want the ease of forming groups for exp and zones and stuff. But I just like to RP and have fun.

Anyway, without further ado, rant and rave at will. :D
~Drathlaen Winterfyre / Dronak / Sselir / Serae / Cerona / ... and my very happy [8th] shaman Bijo and her tiger! ^_^
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:44 pm

I like the Idea, and if i didn't like my dire raider so much, i would play one.

Personally I like the Idea of Gnolls.

Just a few Questions comments

Do Gnolls have tails?

Maybe class Titled Hunter???

Maybe only use light equipment to much weight bogg down Agi and Dex, and make them not move as fast.

Maybe also can't wear gloves, or gaunts cause of their claws?

Maybe use things like protection from cold/posion/ and other oddities on a bard spell system or something like that. Have rage be one of the top spells or such.

Give sneak as maybe a general skill maybe.

Maybe most towns shun them? or not.

Thats all for now.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:08 pm

Initially I hadn't seen them with tails.. but that wouldn't really affect them I would think. I envisioned them only missing the mask slot..

I really like the yuan's but I get annoyed playing them because I can't use so much eq.. I didn't want them to loose a buncha eq slots.. but the mask makes too much sense..

Besides, you can make gauntlets and gloves fit fine with claws. Also, since they are kinda human like.. i saw them having hands with maybe hardened finger nails.. not really paws and claws on hands. When I made reference to claws I was talking about weapons that are sorta.. I dunno, like Freddy? There are claw weapons out there, but as a god already told me, it would require a new flag to say "yes this is a claw misc type weapon" or if it's just a misc weapon. There was also the thought of letting gloves and gauntlets that are claws give added damage.

Basically they would be a daywalker warrior, with high agi and exceling in use of double claw type weapons.. rather than the cookie cutter warrior with a big boomstick.. :P
~Drathlaen Winterfyre / Dronak / Sselir / Serae / Cerona / ... and my very happy [8th] shaman Bijo and her tiger! ^_^
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:10 pm

another idea, if you go with some of the feral or wild races.. is to let them group with good or evils.. but be limited to neutral towns.. scorn/zk or some other non/hometown.. (plus their own town).

have it be a neutral race.. that could be neat.
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:42 pm

I definitely think they should enable Myconids first.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:03 am

Gnolls with highest dex/agi?

Corrosive saliva that spreads disease?

You could call the class Rasta-King

Sorry, can't be more constructive, but it seems silly to me.
Korin
Sojourner

Re: Salen

Postby Korin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:21 am

Well.. I was thinking of gnolls along the lines of canine.. foxes, wolves, dogs.. they are quick and agile.. that's the reasoning behind agility.. I had dex in mind to be better than orcs.. but not super..

as for the saliva.. wild dogs have rabies.. what's silly about that. hehe.

As for myconids.. that sounds neat, this is the first I've heard of 'em. Is there another thread with anything else on 'em?
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:22 am

I don't remember saying corossive btw.. just that it could have some weird side effects based on level.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:10 am

They have also adapted corrosive saliva, which they can use to spread disease when they bite their victims.

You wrote it, not me.
Corrosive is acid, not disease.
Korin
Sojourner

I see...

Postby Korin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:33 am

hehe.. ahh..

musta thought it was a cool word to use at the time. What I have in mind is a bite skill, much like the Yuan-Ti snakebite.. except that it adds an effect based on level.

btw.. I also agree with the Yuan's that their snakebite should do the same.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:35 am

Caustic
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Re: Salen

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:39 pm

Korin wrote:Well.. I was thinking of gnolls along the lines of canine.. foxes, wolves, dogs.. they are quick and agile.. that's the reasoning behind agility.. I had dex in mind to be better than orcs.. but not super..

as for the saliva.. wild dogs have rabies.. what's silly about that. hehe.

As for myconids.. that sounds neat, this is the first I've heard of 'em. Is there another thread with anything else on 'em?

They are actually programmed in the game, but unused. They have a lot of innates that are supposedly like bard effects (auraish). However, these innates screw up the player's file. They aren't enabled because of this I guess. The old classes like Assassin, Berserker, etc. are still in the game too.. Just unused :D (All information yoinked from Gargamel!)
Korin
Sojourner

Thanks Salen

Postby Korin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:06 pm

much better word, thx salen.

Ya I started here right after zerkers. :( I really wanted to try that since that was right around when I saw Lodoss War for the first time. Oh well.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”