Trip and Snakes

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Orku
Sojourner

Trip and Snakes

Postby Orku » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:55 am

You fire a black-shafted elven arrow at a devious thief doing good damage.
Yuw slashes a devious thief.
Yuw slashes a devious thief.
A devious thief does an acrobatic maneuver in battle, and trips up Xissa!
But Xissa manages to take a devious thief down with her!

It hit me while exping, how can a snake be tripped it has no legs? So therefore it shouldn't be able to be triped, and even not be able to trip if a rogue. dont know if this has been posted about before, but just thought i would say something.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:14 pm

8)

Why wouldn't you be able to trip something up that doesn't have legs?
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:06 pm

Triping is taking the legs out from under someone we all know that.
We also knwo that snakes have no legs, they slide ont here belly, If anyone has ever seen a snake over two feet long, it just doesn't raise its whole body of the ground a good half of the snake has to stay on the ground for support, now how hard is it going to be fore a huget snake, length and width, who probbaly has three feet long, and one food wide on the ground, to be able to get your foot under and take them to the ground with trip?

Disclaimer i am not an expert on snakes of any kind, these are just my personal findings and opinions. I hope this explains it.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:20 pm

Don't take things so literally in the game. There's a lot of leeway that has to be given on a lot of things, because it's just not reality - obviously. Maybe you can't trip a snake, but there's always the chance you can use a maneuver similar to trip in order to disrupt the caster's concentration.

Don't get yer tail in a knot over it.
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:41 pm

I don't even play a snake so It doesn't bother me if they get tripped or not, but i hear snakes complaining, and i just brought it up. I understand this isn't realitly.

I was just bringing up a point.

Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:53 pm

Make snakes !trip.. and since we are being realistic, make them sleep for a week, and die in the cold.
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:23 am

well if we make this realistic, you only get one life, die once and you have to roll up a new char :P

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:00 pm

Orku wrote:well if we make this realistic, you only get one life, die once and you have to roll up a new char :P

Wow, you just proved their point...sheesh, who taught you how to debate? GW Bush?
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:51 pm

G.W. rocks, but all political asideI was just bringing it up not for realistics, but to see if it they where able to be tripped or not. We have halfings that can't bash ogres, so i saw it in kinda same catogorry

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:36 pm

halflings can't bash ogre's because it's just waaaay to stupid to think that a 3ft 45lb thing could actually create the amount of momentum and force it would take to take out something the size and weight of an ogre. On the other hand, there are ways to make a snake, who "stands" erect, fall to the ground by loss of balance. It isn't impossible to make a snake roll over, and that possibility becomes exponentialy more realistic when said "snake" has arms and is half vertical causing it's center of gravity to be extreamly less stable than when they are slithering around.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:40 pm

Every time I see Ssissu I just wanna grab him by the tail and flip a wave through him like you would with a rope. If nothing else, it would sure make his teeth chatter.

It might not be realistic, but I can't think of any other snake I'd willingly grab by the tail, either.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:23 pm

ever tried to trip a 5'5" 180 lb snake?.......
lets see that makes them ummf what a foot or 2 in diamater?
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:11 am

Zoldren wrote:ever tried to trip a 5'5" 180 lb snake?.......
lets see that makes them ummf what a foot or 2 in diamater?

Not quite, my 14' 100ish lbs python was less then 18" in circumference at its thickest.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:10 pm

well lets see, your snake is more than double my length, almost tripple, 5'5 to 14'.... your snake ways atleast 80 lbs less.
your snake is 18 inches circumfranced.... now, atleast double that because i am shorter and way more... you now have a 2-3 foot in circ/diam snake....

now earth embody the yuanti, and he is still bashable by human size mobs, u do the math :)
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:25 pm

8)

Zoldren, 18" in circumference does not mean 18" in diameter. If you estimate, a 18" circumference snake is less than 6" in diameter.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:18 pm

and it's not hard to knock something that is 6" diameter off balance...expecially when it's 14' long...so what about 7-9' tall? Grab it by it's lower torso and footsweep it while pushing in the opposite direction...pefectly doable.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 pm

So why can't i just bash the snake and stomp its friggin head in while its lying on the ground, killing it instantly? It's a game, people.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:19 pm

thanuk wrote:It's a game, people.

Lies!
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
rarlaj
Sojourner

more snake stuff

Postby rarlaj » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:39 am

I love that the snakes clamber to their feet.....

hehehe

Fissur clambers to his feet.
Rarlaj says "clamber to his feet my ass! he aint got none!"
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:49 am

right. so yuan are anywhere from 1 foot to 1 foot in a half around, that is more difficult to bash/trip knock off balance.

especialy scince they have 1/3 *if not all* of that foot wide, 5 foot tall body draggin on the ground to support them using their muscles to hold them up.

ya itd be easy to trip them... ya

as far as knocking something 6 inches over, sure no problem if 1 its not against it, 2 has no support.

snakes 1 are against it, 2 have 1/3 their bodies for support, and 3 are more than double your 6inches wide.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:44 pm

I would just like to take this opportunity to propose the Steve Perry psych-out. Just get rid of trip and in the grand tradition of bAsketball give the rogue a chance to stun in the mob with a hilarious and effective Steve Parry psych-out. This would help get rid of some of the problems with size.

This would of course not work with giant races because it is very well known that giants do not appreciate journey.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:09 pm

Orku wrote:I don't even play a snake so It doesn't bother me if they get tripped or not, but i hear snakes complaining, and i just brought it up. I understand this isn't realitly.

I was just bringing up a point.

If that is even remotely true, let people post their own gripes. Like we don't get enough around here without other people offering to do it for them.

A Yuan-ti isn't a snake. It's half man half snake body shape basically. It has a tail. Why couldn't a Yuan-ti tail trip something?

As for Yuan being able to be tripped by others, that is weak. 1/2 to 1/3rd of their body is muscle and weighted on the ground already. Plus, no legs. Bash I can see, it's like smacking a cobra ready to strike, but tripping? I just don't see it. Forget your leg, you could use a tree trunk and the thing is still going to just slither over it.

-Caedym Shadowhock
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:00 pm

I'm pretty sure the hight of a yuan-ti doesnt take into account the tail part that they "stand" on, rather it is just the part that remains erect. Sure, the snake is a good foot in diameter at the bottom, but has the upper torso of a man, making them fairly unstable and top heavy. A good bit of a person's stability comes from having multiple limbs to stand on, so if the snake has only a single trunk, which tapers down from a reletively wide chest and shoulders why would they be any more stable than a man?

The only way I can see for a yuan-ti to become more stable than he would normally be would be to coil his tail around his "feet" much the way snakes coil up on rocks, providing him with a wider base. This would heavily restrict his mobility though which would be a bad thing in battle.

Okay, I'm done babbling now.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:17 pm

How do you trip that again?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:40 am

I'd still just use any cold spell and watch it not be able to move. After taunting it for a few hours, then I'd prolly hit it in the head with a big rock.

See other post entitled

OMFG DEAL WITH IT
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:53 pm

Caedym wrote:As for Yuan being able to be tripped by others, that is weak. 1/2 to 1/3rd of their body is muscle and weighted on the ground already. Plus, no legs. Bash I can see, it's like smacking a cobra ready to strike, but tripping? I just don't see it. Forget your leg, you could use a tree trunk and the thing is still going to just slither over it.

-Caedym Shadowhock

Actually... While I can imagine trip working ok on snakes, bash would not. Bash works by toppling things with legs and stuff so they have to clamber back to their feet. A snake is already partly lying down, a bash would just push his upper body back and down like in a swaying motion from which he could just sway back. SO: all yuan-ti should be !bash.

Trying to introduce realism in games can be fun. :)

(note to americans and stupid people: no, I do not really mean to suggest yuans should be made !bash as that would be silly)

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”