TorilMUD Logo/Contest/Stuffies

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Sesexe
Sojourner

TorilMUD Logo/Contest/Stuffies

Postby Sesexe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:12 am

Can't find email addy off old bbs and no new contest thread... hope ya likes. ;)

Image Image
Image Image

For grins..

Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:18 pm

Oooooh cool :)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:49 pm

That's damn sweet! I like the bottom right the best :)
Fripple
Sojourner

Postby Fripple » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:33 am

How the heck did you do that? I understand there is a lot of skill involved, but what software? If you say photoshop pro I will choke.

Thanks!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:48 am

Um.. Photoshop v6 =^P

Glad people seem to like! I just wanted something really spiffy for a place that's been so great! Best of luck to whoever else is competing =^)

Tee hee! Wonder if I can write some poetry or work with ANSI *duck*

mount dragon

yun
Sojourner

sexy

Postby yun » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:17 am

sexy :D this is...uget
Zuryn
Sojourner

Postby Zuryn » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:38 am

That bottom-right shield is mad sexy, Sexy. Well done!
- Khoric

Kossuth responds to your petition with 'die'
You petition 'I did yesterday a few times, you missed it'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'go die some more, i'll make popcorn, it'll be fun'
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:54 pm

I've been trying to figure out where to submit entries for the competitions. Any idea?
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:27 am

Shar wrote:Hi there everyone!

The staff here are holding a contest for you all. All of you budding artists and poets out there, WE WANT YOU! We are looking for original ascii art for our intro screen, a brand new logo for the brand new era of the mud, and a short poem (as short as you like it, up to 2 paragraphs) that captures life on the MUD.

We are rapidly approaching the coming date of Oct. 1, 2003, when we will undergo a big management change. It is very important that we have our players involved in this aspect. We want you guys n gals to feel very comfortable and involved in the change. One of the ways we feel we can help you transition is to get you involved in this opportunity. We know that lots of you out there are are bursting with loads of talent waiting to be used. Let us help you bring that out!

The kind of art we are looking for has only a few simple requirements.

1) Originality. If it isn't original, we do not want it. We don't want to have a hassle with infringement rights (etc.).

2) Sojourn themed. If you can come up with ascii art (for the intro screen) that depicts a scene you might see on the mud, we want to have it! The new Sojourn logo needs to be equally as thematic without the ascii.

3) Sized correctly. It is important as well to have the art you submit sized to the correct proportions. With ascii, this aspect is particularly important since the number of symbols per line is a factor.

Other than those few requirements there is very little to take into account. The poetry submitted needs to also fill those three requirements. Wording is important and so is format. Be sure to keep your poem and ascii art to 80 characters per line or less.

We will welcome all submissions. If you have questions regarding this subject, you can MMAIL me online or EMAIL me at shar_sojourn3@yahoo.com , OR you can PETITION with your question.

The gods of sojourn will be voting on each piece of art and each poem submitted. Once we have all cast our vote, the winners will be announced and rewarded. You may, of course, submit more than one piece of art for those categories and more than one poem. You may enter as many submissions for any category(s) you choose. A submission for each category is not needed to win. All entries will be viewed and considered.

:D :D :D REWARDS FOR THE WINNERS!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

After the gods have voted on each submission, the winners will be announced on the BBS and in-game. The winners will receive a full set of restrung gear. That is, every piece of eq they wear will be restrung to suit their fancy.

:arrow: **Note** There will be limits to this of course. We wont have anything that is highly inappropriate such as : The Mighty Twink Proof Shield of Uberness** :wink:

Anything that fits within the guidelines of the mud will be accepted. There *may* be more rewards announced at a later time, but the full set of restrung gear for each winner will remain the highest.

Be sure to express your creativity with the *theme* of Sojourn in mind. It is also very, very important to know that the name of the up and coming mud has not been solidified yet, but will be in the near future, which may result in small changes to the winning entries.

Questions and comments are welcome and GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

Edit: Go about your designing with the intent that the name of the MUD will be "Sojourn". It could change in the future, but assume that for now. :)

Shar wrote:Out of rememberance from the past contests of the mud, we will take your suggestions, but lets NOT turn this contest into a deja vu experience. Some of you have been playing here long enough to remember the description contest from Toril in which the entire thing was called off because of poor sports and bad losers.

If you have suggestions, by all means communicate them but, dont rain on someone elses parade. The reason we decided to give rewards is to increase the desire to submit entries. The more we get, the better the chances are that we receive high quality work. Winning this contest will not be any small feat.

The winners of this contest will have the joy of knowing their work will be enjoyed for a long, long time, but they will also have the joy of knowing that the mud found it important enough to give them this kind of reward. If you aren't creative, you aren't being punished.

Point being, complain and you'll just look like a whiner. Participate *if you feel you can* and you will be rewarded.

I'm tired of having to post these kinds of things for the minority. The voice of the majority is often overlooked because the minority opinion is voiced so loudly. You can dislike this event all you want to but it will not be cancelled.

Shar wrote:After talking to a few of the players who voiced concern, the number of restrings is under discussion.

Shevarash wrote:
Mask wrote:
Shar wrote:After talking to a few of the players who voiced concern, the number of restrings is under discussion.

Out of curiosity, who is discussing this, since no one on the staff except you knows anything about it?

Shar is running this contest at my behest. In case it's not clear, this contest is for a new as-yet-unnamed MUD run by Cyric and myself. All rewards will be given out on this new MUD.

Cyric and I are currently discussing the rewards and should come to a decision shortly.

I would urge all staff members to speak to the Forgers if they have questions.

Thank you,
Shevarash

Shar wrote:REWARDS FOR THE WINNERS :

The forgers of the new MUD after much discussion have decided upon a significantly decreased number of restrings. The winners of each category will be given 2 restrings each. The runners up (honorable mention winners) will be given 1 restring each.

My thanks to the players who voiced their suggestions and comments without becoming irate, both ingame and on the bbs. I spoke to some of you and you all gave me good feedback. My thanks to Shevy and Cyric for letting us loosen the bands around the number of restrings that will be available by reward in the new MUD, and I thank them for letting this be the starting point.

In summary, thanks for the feedback n stuff. :)

Shar wrote:80 chars is max length (before ansi) for both the ascii and the poetry.

Shar wrote:All of these things are covered in the original post :P You don't have to submit one for each category. Each one is seperate :)

You may also go hog wild and submit 30 pieces for each category if you so desire. :)

Shar wrote:Now that is an answer I failed to put in the original post. Thanks for asking that, Hyldryn. :)

Deadline for all three categories is October 15th 2003, to give everyone time to think and create.

Also, Shar responded to me in an mmail that submitting them on the BBS is acceptable as well.

mount dragon

Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:49 am

i use ulead cool3d for text - did you use a psp plugin for that? if so which? i dont know anything good for 2d text
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:42 am

Like I said, I used Photoshop. Version 6
No special plug-ins.
No side programs.
Just good old basic Photoshop v6.
FYI, v6+ all have great new text editing features.
Just gotta know how to combine effects and tools in interesting ways.

mount dragon

Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:07 pm

GREAT WORK SES!

I agree bottom right looks best, upper left looks good too.

You are very gifted in this arena, keep it up. One question, if that were to actually become the torilmud icon, is there a slightly different font?

Although it looks all cool and nostalgic, to me the lay person it looks like it says: Coril Mud

That T looks a lot like a C, i'm asumming mostly because of the rotation.

Awesome work! Great job with the brick and I envy anyone who can do polished metal surfaces. I really like the little nails/studs along the rim of the shield. What detail. Very nice.

Wobb
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:17 pm

Wobb wrote:GREAT WORK SES!

You are very gifted in this arena, keep it up. One question, if that were to actually become the torilmud icon, is there a slightly different font?

Although it looks all cool and nostalgic, to me the lay person it looks like it says: Coril Mud

That T looks a lot like a C, i'm asumming mostly because of the rotation.

Wobb

Hrmm, ya know? Now that I look at it, it kinda does look like a C. OMG!
Coril Mud!
'Cor' sounds like 'Kor' and 'Kor' = Miax = OMG! (Did I do a hidden tribute and not even realize?)

But yeah changing the font wouldn't be hard. Now that you've pointed it out I'm going to mess around with that 'T' some.

mount dragon

Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

Postby Lohrandelarien » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:13 pm

ALRIGHT!

I've made 4 different logos for the contest in a few different color variations, check it out at......

http://zombiedesign.sergei.cc

(RELOAD/UPDATE PAGE ONCE YOU ENTER, ITS GETTIN UPDATED ALL THE TIME!)

One of the example logos...
Regards
Glahir Nightglade
Last edited by Lohrandelarien on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:42 pm

Lohrandelarien wrote:ALRIGHT!

I've made 3 different logos for the contest in a few different color variations, check it out at......

Those are damned nice.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:13 am

*ponder*

not sure if it's too late or not... anyway, just something I did when I got tired of doing the stuff I was supposed to do... not a new idea I guess, but what the heck ;)

http://mogwai.ifi.uio.no/~yargla/torilmud.html

Code: Select all

0---|----1----|----2----|----3----|----4----|----5----|----6----|----7----|----8
                                  ,*   ,-; ,-,*
                              ,.´´/ __/_z-´/´  \  \     |
                            ,´   /_{   ´ ,´^-.  : \`·.  |\
                          .´    /´  `P  ´     ^.|  `\ \ \_\-~_
                        ,´     /.~~~~.   }  _.·-^~""~\ `'     }_
                      ,´      /.~~~~´   ,,-´` `       `     P-´ "~-.,
                     /:      /| `----""´/'`      ) )  } )  ,~~~~v~V´
                    / .     / |   /    /´`      ,--._}_/  _ `~~´´/
                   /  .    /  |  /    ,´`  ,.--^L_ }  7`------""´  .
                  /   .   /   | /     /´  /   ^  ´`~-+.   |\__  .  |\
                 :     . : .  \/     {'`  } \ ^ | ,  ,-\-´` ` ^-|\-`\`-^.
                 |       |  .  \     |´`  { |\ ^ \|\/´   (    ( `\`~|"   }
                 |       |   · .>-. /(´`  `.\ \_^ | |     (   ____"-´  Q~¨'~--,
                 |       |     ;   ´ )´`   | \  \n\_`\  _.--´¨    `\  ',*--v~v´
                 |       |---´´      |`    \  \_/    _)<     (   {  `-·_|Y
             \ ,.|       |           )`    /( {   D)´  `~--,__.--.  . | \|
         \,.·´´  :       | {   ,´    \    /  \`.  .--~~~V~V´      \ |\`\ `
       \.´        \      |     {      \  /    `|  |\ |/            \{ `\}
     \.´    {    { \     |     |       ` )    / \  \Y\_             `
   \,´  {      _____\    |     {      :  \    |  `>~:_/\
   /      ,··´´     `\   |    ,´      ,   `  ´` ,/  } "~'
  \'  { ,´            \  |._  {      ;              }\
 \'    ;               \ :  `\|     /              }  \
 \' { /                 \ \   {    {´         ;   /   ´`-.
 \'  (                   `·\ ,´   {´`-.      ; ,-{\      ´`-\
  \  ·                       {    {_   `>---+-´   ``·..      `\
  \'  \                      |    { \)\)\)   `-._    \ `--..   `\._
   \_  \    _,)              {    `-.            \)\)\)     ;      `-.
    -\_ `-"´.´               `\     `-.   ,-.               | .´`. --,}
      "`-"/'|                  `-.    `-./ /´)              {/   |/\,}
                                  `--..     `. ;,            `   ;  ´
                                       `--.__.//
0---|----1----|----2----|----3----|----4----|----5----|----6----|----7----|----8

Guess it would look nicer if it got some colors... And perhaps a little big... And somewhat difficult to see all the heads, and the wings, and the feet looks odd, the claws (arms) too long *shrug* Oh, well. At least it was more fun than studying :D
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:56 pm

It looks like one dragon raping another dragon.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:02 pm

At least you saw it was a dragon! :D
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"

--Futurama
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:14 pm

I wish I could get the ASCII intro I submitted to post on here, but everytime I tried it would completely mess up =^(

*sniff*

mount dragon

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:12 pm

Gerad wrote:It looks like one dragon raping another dragon.

You mean it isn't?
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:24 pm

Dragons Gone Wild!!

Actually, I think it's Tiamat. It helps if you pull/expand your brouser's right side so it lines up correctly. These submissions all look pretty cool for the logo stuff. Wonder who's going to win? Wasn't the deadline yesterday?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:52 pm

You should put the ascii pic in a thought/dream bubble. Tiamat isn't part of the Sojourn/TorilMUD experience. Other the other hand, wishing for it to be in is.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:15 pm

Hyldryn wrote:Other the other hand, wishing for it to be in is.

Huh? That made my head hurt... Still trying to figure out what that means.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:14 pm

Just wondering what is going on exactly. Could we please get some kind of written BBS post update on what the status is?

Danke

mount dragon

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:36 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:
Hyldryn wrote:Other the other hand, wishing for it to be in is.

Huh? That made my head hurt... Still trying to figure out what that means.

It is a condescending remark saying that tiamat is not in the game, so don't put her picture on the front page to fool people. The second sentance is merely adding to this insult by saying that we are still waiting for her to be implimented. sheesh.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:02 pm

find a jpeg to ascii conversion program, tne create an ORIGAL dragon image, and run it through that software

it will look dozens of times better than the other handmade ascii stuff.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:14 pm

If you didn't remember your cover sheet on your last TPS report,
you probably didn't get this unofficial memo from the staff:

"All your feeble Photoshop skills are No Match for the POWER of the Lens Flare!
Now whiteness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Glowing Toril Logo!
Advertise at will Commander!"

-Caedym Shadowhock
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:52 pm

*BUMP*
Last edited by Sesexe on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:53 pm

Time for the monthly..

*BUMP*
Last edited by Sesexe on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:10 pm

*Bump*
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:11 pm

Just give up. They obviously dropped it.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:38 am

I'm a slacker. posted more in announcements. sorry for the delay guys.

:( :(

sorry :( but, on the bright side, I really DIDNT forget, i just neglected to do anything with it because i was wrapped up in rl.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”