Poor Policing

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Salen
Sojourner

Poor Policing

Postby Salen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:41 am

Did the rules for titles get changed somewhere along the way?

There are at least 3 (probably more) titles that are a direct reference to TV/Music/Movies. How did these ever get accepted?

Are admin going to allow any title we want now? If so, are we going to be told these things?

emo waits eagerly for M@dHaxx0r title.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:39 pm

Nope, no rules have changed. Guild titles are set without prior approval from the staff - if there are inappropriate titles in the game now, we'll find them.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:39 pm

c 'ress' kiaransalee?!?!!?

*panic*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:41 pm

ouch :(
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:04 pm

Thank you.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:05 pm

Thank you.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:31 pm

I figgered they just tossed all the naming rules in the street when they allowed a guild named after a really bad movie.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:31 pm

FYI she's talking about Reign of Fire
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:50 pm

Dalar wrote:FYI she's talking about Reign of Fire

FYI... you really needed to point that out? Is there a single person in the game who doesn't know it was a really bad movie? Or is there another guild named "Dungeons and Dragons: the Movie" that I don't know about?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:35 pm

Well at least they don't belong to a guild stolen from the black man like Shadows of Imphras. Did you know that George Washington Carver invented the first Imphras guild out of gnome and an iron ration?! A RATION!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:41 pm

Dammit, Gormal, get it right... it was a PEANUT!
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:32 pm

Ashiwi wrote:

FYI... you really needed to point that out? Is there a single person in the game who doesn't know it was a really bad movie? Or is there another guild named "Dungeons and Dragons: the Movie" that I don't know about?

Wait a cotton picking second. Reign of Fire was a bad Dungeons & Dragons movie?? Who the hell was Matthew McConaughey? Elminster? So the director thought he should be protrayed as a bald, tattoo'd, very well built, axe wielding, tank driving, military leader, walking psycho-path?

COOL!!!!!!

Wait!! How come they don't cast any spells?? Oh they're in an !magic area. Ooooooo Cooooool! That makes so much sense!

That's SO MUCH better then using magic dust to cast spells like in that other D&D-like movie! And THANK GOD they didn't put any of the Wayans brothers in this one. Because then it'd really suck!

Matthew McConaughey says, 'I got a dragon slaying axe with a +9 against dragons!'

-Caedym Shadowhock
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:26 pm

Ashiwi wrote:

heh the first day i saw that guild i told the gods if they had seen it. obviously they haven't.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Bizal
Sojourner

Postby Bizal » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:08 pm

Guess its time I toss in a lil deffence into this stupid thread. Im one of the founders of Rof and I had never heard of the movie until after we created the guild. Im no tv slave, I still havent seen the movie and dont intend to. And I mean, so what if there is a movie called the same, Im sure there is some b-movie called shadows of imphras or bloodraiders or whatever else aswell.

If the gods think the guildname is inappropriate for the game I have no trouble finding some other name with the other founders.

On the other hand, I agree that there is people with titles that is really fugly, specially some of the goodie ones !

8)

Reign of Fire

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:20 pm

Our name was accepted by the gods as of day one. It has NOTHING to do with the movie, other than coincidentally sharing the title. If you want to know more about why we are called Reign of Fire, feel free to read our guild descripition (assoc info 2). Considering the movie was a cheasy B-rated flick that will dissappear completely from the collective conciousness by next year, I hope not too many of you are going to be totally hung up on this coincidence. I also hope that people aren't going to get so hung up on rules, that they ruin the fun of the game. It probably wouldnt take long to get at least half the guilds AND characters on this mud renamed, if one only looked the reams and reams of tv, film, books, and other media created in just the last 100 years.

Grorrak/Daggaz "Leader", Reign of Fire
Caedym
Sojourner

Re: Reign of Fire

Postby Caedym » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:47 pm

grorrakk wrote:Our name was accepted by the gods as of day one. It has NOTHING to do with the movie, other than coincidentally sharing the title. If you want to know more about why we are called Reign of Fire, feel free to read our guild descripition (assoc info 2). Considering the movie was a cheasy B-rated flick that will dissappear completely from the collective conciousness by next year, I hope not too many of you are going to be totally hung up on this coincidence. I also hope that people aren't going to get so hung up on rules, that they ruin the fun of the game. It probably wouldnt take long to get at least half the guilds AND characters on this mud renamed, if one only looked the reams and reams of tv, film, books, and other media created in just the last 100 years.

Grorrak/Daggaz "Leader", Reign of Fire

assoc info 2
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Reign of Fire
In present-day Toril, 10 year-old Grorrak visits his construction engineer mother at her work in Ghore. When he crawls into a cavern the workers have uncovered, he finds a large, fire-breathing dragon--which destroys the site and kills his mother. Twenty years later as "Fire Marshal Grorrak" he tries to keep a group of swamp refugees alive with fierce dragons dominating all zones, burning equipment and buffetting players into ungodly lag kills. Unexpectedly, Bizal (McConaughey), a hotshot Drow Elf Cleric, shows up with a ragtag group of Underdark dwellers on a perilous crusade to hunt down and destroy the beasts every boot. Tempers flare when there is a struggle for leadership -- until both men realize only one race is getting out of this alive.

Join today! Free Rations and DK Fountain water til you puke!

Sounds great! Sign me up!

-Caedym Shadowhock
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:59 pm

Yeah I saw the movie, it wasn't the best. But when you read assoc info 2, it has nothing to do with the movie. I don't see why everyone is getting pissy about it. Alot of titles outthere should be changed probblay, but this would be the least of them.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:34 pm

Everyone's getting pissed because we've had our balls busted for years about stupid name rules. People had their names denied because the word was out of the klingon dictionary. Or because some 4th rate adventure series had a character with a name that started with the same letter. Or 1000 other things. Ask Dartan what Raburi means in Japanese if you want to know what im talking about. So we deal with all that shit and don't get the titles we want because some Somalian uses that word for "tree", and yet you guys are running around with a guild title that is the same as a title from a major motion picture released across the entire world.

But since we don't care about those rules anymore, please change my Title to Superman.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:22 pm

ROFL Thanuk. I was just getting ready to post that I could care less what their title is anymore. I was wondering how the name "Daggaz" slipped by, but it makes me chuckle. Every time I see it I think of Nilan saying "I'll put my daggaz in your back!" I'm not bitching, I was just saying that the rules obviously don't exist anymore, since it was so blatant. As for "Superman," that's going a little far, it's not even remotely fantasy... but can I roll another female elf and name her "Arwen Evenstar?"
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:03 pm

Don't mind me.. I'm just drunk..

but I think its HILARIOUS that someone, whos name is "THE HALL" in swedish, complains about naming rules :)
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:45 pm

thanuk wrote:Everyone's getting pissed because we've had our balls busted for years about stupid name rules. People had their names denied because the word was out of the klingon dictionary. Or because some 4th rate adventure series had a character with a name that started with the same letter. Or 1000 other things. Ask Dartan what Raburi means in Japanese if you want to know what im talking about. So we deal with all that shit and don't get the titles we want because some Somalian uses that word for "tree", and yet you guys are running around with a guild title that is the same as a title from a major motion picture released across the entire world.

But since we don't care about those rules anymore, please change my Title to Superman.

raburi means nothing in japanese retard.

thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:14 pm

Jegzed wrote:Don't mind me.. I'm just drunk..

but I think its HILARIOUS that someone, whos name is "THE HALL" in swedish, complains about naming rules :)

I'm sure you do, but nobody cares about the crappy little words in your crappy little country. When are the germans stopping by again?

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:14 pm

Dalar wrote:raburi means nothing in japanese retard.

No kidding retard, that's what the f**k im talking about. Did muma steal dartan's password?

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:16 pm

the Ogre named Ambar pwns you all!!!!!!!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:31 am

8)

Thanuk means 'The Hall' in Swedish? I think I'm going to call Thanuk 'Arch Hall Jr.' from now on.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:32 am

No, it's "salen" that can mean "the hall" (sal - hall or saddle) in Swedish (and Norwegian and Danish too I would presume). It can mean "the saddle" too btw :wink: (And "dalar" could mean "valleys" (dal - valley) in Norwegian) :D

(Oh and probably a lot of other names of characters out there too could mean something in some language or another. I know a lot of those races with simplisitc names (orcs, dwarfs, ogres, trolls, etc) often can mean something in one or more of the European languages.)
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:43 am

Hey, if people actually wanna name their guild after the worst movie ever, I say go for it. In fact, I think the rules are too strict.

Vahok "Conan Wulfgar Thor Hercules HeMan Macho Man" Tundrahawk
Meatshield
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:21 am

Err...yeah, ok.

The naming rules are still in effect, but we HAVE relaxed them somewhat to eliminate the silliness that Thanuk pointed out.

Isn't that what you've all been asking for for years? :)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:13 pm

Vahok wrote:Vahok "Conan Wulfgar Thor Hercules HeMan Macho Man" Tundrahawk

Shevarash wrote:Isn't that what you've all been asking for for years? :)

No, what I've been asking about for years is to see Vahok in one of those Village People uniforms... the police man, please![/quote]

damn flamewars

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:54 pm

I think its funny that once the gods relax on a point which has irritated, angred, and humiliated many of you so long, that you then jump all over the people who are the first to enjoy the newfound freedoms you always desired. And then, after flaming me and my guild, you all start flaming eachother like mad. Hehehehehe...no serious its funny =)

As to those of you who seem to think there are no more rules anymore, try to come up with your own guild name. The gods were all over the naming process and it took several days to get a suitable (for both parties) name through. Plus I had to write the nifty story explaining it. Try reading it.
Type assoc info 2.
Or just try naming your gnome warrior superman.

Daggaz came off the name generator and I took it, btw, to keep any drow rogues from finding it and creating the largest nausea-inducing-cornball-with-chunks character the mud has ever seen. Now its just ironic that I dont stab. And its funny to see the little rogues pout. But anyhow its drow and pronounced nothing like 'daggers' and certaintly means nothing in reference to blades, and shame on all you humans who cant break out of your RL world and RP with some style.

Oh and RoF players are rarely found just sitting in the dk fountain.
(OMG! dk is the initials for denmark! we have to change the name of the drow hometown!)
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:55 pm

Shevarash wrote:Err...yeah, ok.

The naming rules are still in effect, but we HAVE relaxed them somewhat to eliminate the silliness that Thanuk pointed out.

Yes. But you should know by now that when we bitch for years about a change and finally get it, we have to bitch about how much better it was before the changes.

damn flamewars

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:55 pm

I think its funny that once the gods relax on a point which has irritated, angred, and humiliated many of you so long, that you then jump all over the people who are the first to enjoy the newfound freedoms you always desired. And then, after flaming me and my guild, you all start flaming eachother like mad. Hehehehehe...no serious its funny =)

As to those of you who seem to think there are no more rules anymore, try to come up with your own guild name. The gods were all over the naming process and it took several days to get a suitable (for both parties) name through. Plus I had to write the nifty story explaining it. Try reading it.
Type assoc info 2.
Or just try naming your gnome warrior superman.

Daggaz came off the name generator and I took it, btw, to keep any drow rogues from finding it and creating the largest nausea-inducing-cornball-with-chunks character the mud has ever seen. Now its just ironic that I dont stab. And its funny to see the little rogues pout. But anyhow its drow and pronounced nothing like 'daggers' and certaintly means nothing in reference to blades, and shame on all you humans who cant break out of your RL world and RP with some style.

Oh and RoF players are rarely found just sitting in the dk fountain.
(OMG! dk is the initials for denmark! we have to change the name of the drow hometown!)
Werg
Sojourner

Re: Reign of Fire

Postby Werg » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:31 pm

Caedym wrote:
assoc info 2
Reign of Fire
In present-day Toril, 10 year-old Grorrak visits his construction engineer mother at her work in Ghore. When he crawls into a cavern the workers have uncovered, he finds a large, fire-breathing dragon--which destroys the site and kills his mother. Twenty years later as "Fire Marshal Grorrak" he tries to keep a group of swamp refugees alive with fierce dragons dominating all zones, burning equipment and buffetting players into ungodly lag kills. Unexpectedly, Bizal (McConaughey), a hotshot Drow Elf Cleric, shows up with a ragtag group of Underdark dwellers on a perilous crusade to hunt down and destroy the beasts every boot. Tempers flare when there is a struggle for leadership -- until both men realize only one race is getting out of this alive.

Join today! Free Rations and DK Fountain water til you puke!

Sounds great! Sign me up!

-Caedym Shadowhock

F&*kin ROFLMFAO!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:20 pm

thanuk wrote:
Shevarash wrote:Err...yeah, ok.

Yes. But you should know by now that when we bitch for years about a change and finally get it, we have to bitch about how much better it was before the changes.

yes and i have to listen to you dorks bitch about the old days on assoc ALL THE TIME.

thanuk
Sojourner

Re: damn flamewars

Postby thanuk » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:34 pm

grorrakk wrote:I think its funny that once the gods relax on a point which has irritated, angred, and humiliated many of you so long, that you then jump all over the people who are the first to enjoy the newfound freedoms you always desired. And then, after flaming me and my guild, you all start flaming eachother like mad. Hehehehehe...no serious its funny =)

You had that guild name before they relaxed on the rules. You had that guild name when kia the psycho bitch was still in charge. That's why people are pissed. I could care less, but regardless of how relaxed the rules become, a movie title should not be acceptable as a guild name. Why do you think they're called Shadows of Imphras instead of Devine Secrets of the Yayaril Sisterhood?
grorrakk wrote:As to those of you who seem to think there are no more rules anymore, try to come up with your own guild name. The gods were all over the naming process and it took several days to get a suitable (for both parties) name through. Plus I had to write the nifty story explaining it. Try reading it.

Uhm, we named our guild in like 20 minutes. It took you several days to come up with Reign of Fire? What'd you have to do, drive to a blockbuster video in the next state to find a copy of that awful movie that is now your namesake?

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:14 pm

Thanuk, take your medication!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:23 pm

Shevarash wrote:Thanuk, take your medication!

You can't make me!

Caedym
Sojourner

Re: damn flamewars

Postby Caedym » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:35 pm

thanuk wrote:Uhm, we named our guild in like 20 minutes. It took you several days to come up with Reign of Fire? What'd you have to do, drive to a blockbuster video in the next state to find a copy of that awful movie that is now your namesake?

BUAHAHAHAHAHA!

But for real, didn't we already have this thread discussion about title/descriptions/level 50 titles/guild names ansi like 5 times already? We could probably code a script for it by now.

{
10 print f "We want the rules stricter!"
20 print f "Remove those corney names!"
30 print f "That title/guild name has horrible ansi! Make the rules stricter!'
40 print f "They are too strict!"
50 print f "Stop being title nazi's!"
60 print f "I wanna use whatever ansi I want! Stop being so limiting!"
GOTO line 10
}

I swear no matter where I go I never find a group of more finicky bitches. Have a Coke and a smile and STFU. Make up your minds already. You're probably the same dorks that wanted the complete opposite 6 months ago. And the reverse of that 6 months previous to that.

Now let us continue with tormenting Grorrak and the members or RoF for being unfortunate enough to have an alright guild sadly tagged with the title of a crappy B movie.

Uncle Grorrak, why do dragons have long pointy sharp teeth?

Fire Marshall Grorrak says, 'So dey ken ate ash! Wit's weally tuff starff en dey need ta bay arble ta bit dorwn entu et wif dere strong teefs!'

Amazing! Hey, can I come kill dragons with you guys too?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:44 pm

Programming in BASIC? NOW YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!

Who freakin' cares what a word means in another culture, this is an ENGLISH speaking mud. Farkin a...

Lighten up a little.

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:13 pm

Ashiwi wrote:
Vahok wrote:Vahok "Conan Wulfgar Thor Hercules HeMan Macho Man" Tundrahawk

Shevarash wrote:Isn't that what you've all been asking for for years? :)

No, what I've been asking about for years is to see Vahok in one of those Village People uniforms... the police man, please!
[/quote]

Done and done :)
Meatshield
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:21 pm

I didn't say I wanted them to be more strict, I just want them to be followed. There are at least 2 guild leaders that need to have their ass kicked for ok'ing 'Tiny Dancer' and 'Warrior Princess'. This is of course an assumption that these are not level 50 RP titles.

And as for Salen being Finnish, I can't find it spelled without your faggy double dot over it, so until you get real letters, don't tell me about it (also, I've said if the powers that be want me to change, that's fine it's just a shortened version from SJ2.)

Finally, Reign of Fire sucks ass, and I figure being know as a group that sucks ass is good enough for them to keep it.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:17 pm

'Sarell' means 'touch Talsor on the bottom' in australian!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:57 pm

Just because we're laxer on titles doesn't mean we're any less dedicated to keeping the BBS relatively flame free.

Please be courteous and civil to each other on the BBS. Joking around is one thing, but outright insulting people will not be tolerated.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:56 pm

I have nothing positive to contribute to this thread whatsoever, other than *touch*

:shock:
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:09 pm

I agree that maybe titles rules were a bit to strict but Harsh rules to names were ok.
From top of my head we have:
A char whose name is name of one of the brightest stars of summer night
A char whose name happens to be name of one of ceasars of Rome
A char named after a member of etchnic group, also means a viloent person(in english yeah)
Maybe you relaxed the rules a bit too much?
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”