Predictions

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Aedaris
Sojourner

Predictions

Postby Aedaris » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:24 am

Paladins will become extinct.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: Predictions

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:50 pm

Aedaris wrote:Paladins will become extinct.

That's more stating the obvious than a prediction man.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:51 pm

8)

Yayaril's great grand-daughter says, 'Great Grandpa Yayaril, please tell me about the paladins!'

Yayaril croaked, 'Well, my dear, hundreds of millions of years ago, great beasts in shining platemail armor wandered Faerun, stomping about on huge horses. The great Thunder-warriors were primal things that tried to destroy any evil on sight. Luckily for us all, an immense meteor made of pure nerf fell to the ground, downgrading the paladins so badly that they couldn't tank, hit, or do anything. Well, it wasn't as bad as it sounds- but everyone knew paladins suffered an overwhelming inferiority complex, similar to rangers.'

Yayaril's great grand-daughter squeeks, 'Wow, what's a ranger!?'
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:40 pm

What, you don't like that your horses were revamped?
Aedaris
Sojourner

Why paladins are useless now.

Postby Aedaris » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:53 pm

First of all

I do like the changes to mount, but they seem to flee to dragons to much still.

What I don't like about the changes.

Stone was removed from the holy avenger. We still have the powerful dispel evil (roarrrrr), healing was upped a bit and it still auto bless and armors.

Personally I liked playing a paladin because of there solo ability, since I really don't have time to zone much anymore.

Possible upgrades since they dont have stone anymore.

1) add a different damage proc to holy avenger possibly (unholy word, or sunburst with a chance to blind, these could be additional quests)

2) give them a holy aura similar to that of an anti (this could be a quest too)

Those two changes might put them close to antis, but antis still own with poisons and blind on crits.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:45 pm

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that imms kinda wanted to lower the solo ability. A warrior type of can hit really hard and tank better than a war might be considered a bit much.
Mielikki
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Mielikki » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:56 pm

Sorry about that but holy avenger wasn't completely ready to be put in as it is. I'm redoing its procs and with the massive code move it was moved in.

Give it another week or so then continue the complaints.
Aedaris
Sojourner

ok

Postby Aedaris » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:45 pm

sounds fair
Aldavien
Sojourner

Postby Aldavien » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:26 pm

Mielikki wrote:Sorry about that but holy avenger wasn't completely ready to be put in as it is. I'm redoing its procs and with the massive code move it was moved in.

Woot! Was wondering why it would be nerfed more then before :)
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:16 pm

The removal of stone proc isn't necessarily a nerf. I've seen a number of times where an enchanter pretty much gives up trying to scale an avenger wielding paladin for a whole zone.
Aedaris
Sojourner

Its not to bad

Postby Aedaris » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:46 pm

You should be able to start a fight with dscale, just remove avenger while you wait.
Adana
Sojourner

Postby Adana » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:21 pm

Mielikki wrote:Sorry about that but holy avenger wasn't completely ready to be put in as it is. I'm redoing its procs and with the massive code move it was moved in.

Not to be a noodge, but . . . A week has passed and I am wondering if stone shall be put back into the Avenger. I love the new proc of breach, we can now actually wield it in zones without being a liablilty like we were with dispel magic. There are may times when Paladins still travel alone. That is when the stone was most important to us.

Please put it back in or let us know that it will not be coming. Thanks

Hoping to hear back from the powers that be.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:02 pm

Adana wrote:

Not to be a noodge, but . . . A week has passed and I am wondering if stone shall be put back into the Avenger. I love the new proc of breach, we can now actually wield it in zones without being a liablilty like we were with dispel magic. There are may times when Paladins still travel alone. That is when the stone was most important to us.

Do you remember that thread where the players were asking for estimates of when projects would be done? The players were asking for a timeline. Remember how the staff said they didn't want to post even approximations because players would harp on them when the estimated date came around and the project wasn't done?

Thank you for validating their reasoning.

-Caedym Shadowhock
Adana
Sojourner

Postby Adana » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Caedym wrote:
Adana wrote:

Do you remember that thread where the players were asking for estimates of when projects would be done? The players were asking for a timeline. Remember how the staff said they didn't want to post even approximations because players would harp on them when the estimated date came around and the project wasn't done?

Thank you for validating their reasoning.

-Caedym Shadowhock

I didn't consider my post harping on the staff. Mielikki asked for a week or so before anything was asked. That's what I did. I asked politely for a reply to my question. I didn't bitch, complain, harrass or otherwise antagonize the staff with my post.

You need to chill Caedym.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:57 pm

Even with stone on the avenger, paladins weren't an overwhelming force. In fact, they were somewhat of a dying breed. So, why the changes? Hopefully it's to make the class more useful rather than downgrading them?

The biggest liability of playing a paladin is the age issue, which is hard to overcome, and probably the reason most opt to play warriors or antis instead. If you want to make the class more playable long term, you should consider addressing this issue imho.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:23 am

Jhorr wrote:Even with stone on the avenger, paladins weren't an overwhelming force. In fact, they were somewhat of a dying breed. So, why the changes? Hopefully it's to make the class more useful rather than downgrading them?

The biggest liability of playing a paladin is the age issue, which is hard to overcome, and probably the reason most opt to play warriors or antis instead. If you want to make the class more playable long term, you should consider addressing this issue imho.

Ensis is like 92 now, the only rejuv i know about are pirate isles, tiamat, and one in avernus that nets like a 3-9 year scroll. Pirate isles isn't that bad, but if the game doesn't boot once a day id probably age faster than the rejuvs could take effect. Agree jhorr. Do somethin about age plz. We don't die of old age, why not just make it moot?
Aedaris
Sojourner

So have the changes kicked in yet

Postby Aedaris » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:22 pm

???????

Id rather get stone than that new proc
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:26 pm

Maybe they could add a proc to Avenger that takes a year off a Paladin's life every time it goes off? Ensis could be like baby Daffy in the Tiny Toons as he disappears into his platemail armor, "Ensis go down da hooooooole."
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:06 pm

10/31/03 You feel younger, and dirtier.
- Paladins can now be rejuv'd by Necromancers only, with an alignment cost.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:02 pm

Shevarash wrote:10/31/03 You feel younger, and dirtier.
- Paladins can now be rejuv'd by Necromancers only, with an alignment cost.

To every paladin who has spent the last 2 years trying to do that quest in hell, and to whoever got those discs from the two tiamat runs, I gotta say:

HA HA!

/nelson
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:42 am

Possible upgrades since they dont have stone anymore.

1) add a different damage proc to holy avenger possibly (unholy word, or sunburst with a chance to blind, these could be additional quests)

I can see how adding a proc like unholy word that would kill the paladin instantly would help the group, but I fail to see what benefit it would be to the paladin.

On the age issue, I'm just curious if paladin's still get aged by ghosts. I would think being a holy warrior raised to fight evil and undead that they'd be immune to such things, it would be the least their gods could do for them! At least at upper levels. Maybe their gods could stop the aging process on high level paladins too. Its nice they can get deaged, just ashame they have to pay for it with alignment. Being the holiest of holies should have some advantages!
Lil
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:34 am

Lilithelle wrote: Being the holiest of holies should have some advantages!
Lil

And some disadvantages. about 80% of all zone/exp mobs are evil aligned, so fixing the alignment of a paladin isn't exactly a difficult thing. Being the "holiest of the holies" it seems right to me that their gods punish them for consorting with necromancers, especially since they still have the option to do the rejuve quests.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:03 am

I think paladins are immune to ghosts for a little while now.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:22 pm

That change should help paladins a lot. I'm not sure what the align hit is, but I think that idea is a nice compromise.
That long with the reduction in align damage from aggro good mobs is pretty rocking, since paladins can do stuff like seelie now too. They'll just get very little xp.
Aedaris
Sojourner

I like the new changes.

Postby Aedaris » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:44 pm

Hopefully it will be perfect by next boot.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”