Alternatives to Toril

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dizzin
Sojourner

Alternatives to Toril

Postby Dizzin » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:35 am

Just curious about what else you guys do in your spare time that isn't on this MUD. Computer/console games, MMOGs, other MUDs, etc.

Just looking for other places to go now.
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:08 am

Real-time strategy games. A place where I can practice killing a well-organized group in different ways...
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:09 am

Shadowrun: Denver, roleplaying in the dark gritty future. Not quite as dark or gritty as the other Shadowrun MUXs.
I played on RetroMUD for about a year before coming back to Sojourn.
I've looked at Lensmoor as a possibility should things fall through here.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:44 am

feh Tod can't even see you as anything but the loveable lich that you are! some grimy vigilante?? naw :P
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:30 am

I took a break from here and I have been....

Drinking.
Sleeping more.
Working more.
And playing...
Temple of Elemental Evil
Homeworld II
Patrician III
UFO Aftermath
Age of Mythology Titans Expansion
And watching...
Lexx season 1+2 (it's crap, but I downloaded it so I may as well watch it)
Star Trek DS9 seasons 3,4,5,6
Enteprise middle of season 1 to season 2 ep 8
Various movies and stuff
Father Ted season 1+2
Red Dwarf - only watched season 1 but will probably watch the lot

Not bad for a little over a month, eh? :)
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:14 am

Yeah, I also found eMule, Animereactor and AniDB. Can't stop downloading the stuff. It's legal, too, if you get the fansubs instead of anything that's copyright in the US.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:14 am

Todrael wrote:Yeah, I also found eMule, Animereactor and AniDB. Can't stop downloading the stuff. It's legal, too, if you get the fansubs instead of anything that's copyright in the US.

I laugh at people who are getting subpeonaed for having american music :)
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:14 pm

I really haven't played sojourn/toril or even video games at all this year.

I've been working on a project at work that's facing 4 patents and a project I'm designing at home that I hope to have patented before I graduate so I can pitch it to Sony.

Other than that, I've been training in Wushu and Shotokhan almost every other day... I am learning the staff as my first weapon('More fun than a STICK!' "Dude, it IS a stick." 'Meh...'). I get together with a group of friends and play D&D 3E on sundays.

Y'know, the more I work with the .net environment the more I'm amazed how MS didn't get sued for ripping off java. Even the api's are the same.
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Muma OOC: 'haha i just stuck my tongue out at the moniter'
Muma OOC: 'and yea i was sticking it out at you EV'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:50 pm

8)

I play in a bunch of table top roleplaying games, read books, draw and play Legend of the Five Rings (a collectable card game).

Then, on the weekends, I hunt the living for their genetic material so that I may build a super being from the chromasomes of all the most powerful creatures on Earth.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:59 pm

The SCA lately, but they won't let me be an elf, darn them. No card or video games, but I do stained and etched glass, and I'm learning metalsmithing, and those can be just as obsessive!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:42 pm

Madden '04.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:47 pm

*grin* Actually been playing a fair bit of Madden lately. Though I've found out that if you create your own plays and use a slightly whack formation, the computer AI gets all messed up and you can own anyone. :(

Plus I have one of the earliest releases of it, and it's buggy as hell. :p

Other ideas are pretty cool. My sister has taken up glass etching, so maybe I'll look in on learning with her.

Thanks Tod for the other suggestions, looked up a couple, they looked kinda cool. Definitely possibilities there.

And real time strategy is of course, the utter ownage. Only problem is the best ones I've played, EU2 and Hearts of Iron, are now just too easy for me. And after playing them, not sure I can go back to the wussier real-time strategy stuff out there.

Thanks to everyone! Keep 'em coming!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:13 pm

Yayaril wrote:Then, on the weekends, I hunt the living for their genetic material so that I may build a super being from the chromasomes of all the most powerful creatures on Earth.

You should call him 'Serpentor'!
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:56 am

I just got Final Fantasy XI earlier today.

Still really have yet to actually PLAY it but it looks good so far.

4 Hour install, 6 gigs :\

-G
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:38 am

Martial Arts & Weapons Style- both training and instructing
Surfing
Beach or Pool

Fun Stuff

Nilan
aka
Stabby
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:33 am

I've bounced from MMOG to MMOG getting a feel for what's out there. Settled on Earth and Beyond for all of my massively multiplayer online needs.

However, it's been 5 years since I HAVEN'T filled the cracks of my time in with a Blizzard RTS game. Warcraft III now, and Starcraft before it. I don't play for the ladder or anything, I mostly make accounts and level them to the 15ish range, then make a new account. I also play a lot of custom maps... Enfo's Team Survival and Tides of Blood are the two latest ones I'm into.

And this week I've cracked open the W3 world editor and have begun map designing.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:11 pm

I liked Earth n Beyond ... took the 8k hours and downbloaded it then bought the full version .. bought 3 months of play and for some reason never played it again after the first few times ...
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:01 pm

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/nomine

LOOKING FOR NEW PLAYERS, new campaign starting soon ;)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:56 pm

Ashiwi wrote:The SCA lately, but they won't let me be an elf, darn them.

Ever checked out Falo (fantasy and ledgend orginization)? They all are elves, faeries and other nancy stuff like that.

In my spare time I've been playing Monster Rancher 2 for PS1, teaching my wife to play chess so we can play [link=http://sjgames.com/knightmare/index.html]Knightmare Chess[/link], just started playing MTG again as well.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Kosmirn
Sojourner

Postby Kosmirn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:39 am

Thought I better get with the times..went out and bought diablo 2 & expansion...learning to play at the moment. What sold me was the free multi-player online battle.net
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:40 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:Ever checked out Falo (fantasy and ledgend orginization)? They all are elves, faeries and other nancy stuff like that.

Errr, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people that far out of touch with reality, I would have gone back to the sci-fi convention scene. The thing I like about the SCA is that the majority of the people are pretty well grounded in every day life.... even if none of them will go salsa dancing.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:03 pm

Studying nanotechnology so I do lots of math and chemistry when people aren't looking.
Gamewize I dont play nothin except Sojourn, but I spend a lot of time planning/typing out my zone, which will hopefully be done some day before menzo. If you like making maps for Warcraft and such, you should give area building a shot!
Otherwise I go out clubbing with friends. Copenhagen has a great nightlife.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:14 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Errr, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people that far out of touch with reality, I would have gone back to the sci-fi convention scene. The thing I like about the SCA is that the majority of the people are pretty well grounded in every day life.... even if none of them will go salsa dancing.

I won't take it the wrong way, I don't hang out with them. But calling the SCA "well grounded in every day life" is pretty far from the mark at least in the 4 areas I've dealt with them through out the country.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:14 pm

Maybe I've just been fortunate with the group of people I've met. All I know is I don't have to have a conversation with somebody about the Enterprise and Klingons as if they really existed, and that makes me happy. As for the elves and faeries... I think I can restrict that to the game and my private life.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:57 pm

Ashiwi wrote:...All I know is I don't have to have a conversation with somebody about the Enterprise and Klingons as if they really existed...

Heh, that sounds more like the SCA'dians I know more then the geeks in FaLO.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:20 pm

Hrm, I've been playing odd xbox games such as Ghost Recon and True Crimes. Looking for a job is always happening. Between temp jobs I've been tutoring in math and physics and actually getting paid! Thats about it. I lead a very simple boring life.
cichlids
Sojourner

Postby cichlids » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:40 pm

I just went through a cross atlantic move so was bumming around at the beach till i got a house and a job.
Now i just started mudding again but i also:

- Run (about 15 mi a week) I recommend it to all, its great
- play d&d on sundays with some friends
- once a month go with my fiance on a weekend escpae (or just drive)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:01 pm

To explain my above post, In Nomine is akin to DnD with a few major differences.

1) it's set in the modern day
2) instead of standard fantasy races, players are typically demons or angels, in the Judeochristian sense.

It works really well because it's both hack-n-slash, and a morality play.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:52 pm

Stamm wrote:I took a break from here and I have been....

Red Dwarf - only watched season 1 but will probably watch the lot

Not bad for a little over a month, eh? :)

keep watching, it only gets better and better
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:38 pm

Until season 7, when Red Dwarf falls apart and turns into a completely, flabberghastingly worthless reel of complete and utter bollocks.

Stop with season 6 if you want to retain some degree of respect for the series.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:00 pm

or just watch b5. season 4 (best season) comes out in january.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:39 pm

I worked my ass off in high school so I could buy Red Dwarf. Over all, I've spent about $350 on tapes (long before DVD got big). I love that show.
rarlaj
Sojourner

Postby rarlaj » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:49 am

this "free time" people keep talking about *boggle*

i spend my time on the mud or at work and if i could get paid to mud on Toril... i would send my resume...

lazy, unpredicatable, redneck with alochol and ammo... looking for good salary to support his mud habit... job requirements must not interfer with zoning or questing... send offers to yarddog62801@netwitz.net...
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:56 pm

I've recently switched my focus from Wushu to learning Goju-Ryu (traditional okinawan karate), it's a lot faster pace than wushu with more focus on precision, body mechanics, strength building. Right now I'm learning kihon (breathing) and kihon ido (movement).

My instructor spends almost as much time on philosophy while training as teaching me the moves.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:40 pm

Oh, I've already seen all of Red Dwarf many many times :P

I'm a Brit remember, it's on TV here all the time. I've got em all on CDs somewhere until I get around to buying em on DVD.

I think Babylon 5 might be next... watched that religiously then for some reason stopped, maybe it was work or something, years ago so can't remember.

And yeah, series 7 is crap.
Zowa
Sojourner

Postby Zowa » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:59 pm

rarlaj wrote:this "free time" people keep talking about *boggle*

i spend my time on the mud or at work and if i could get paid to mud on Toril... i would send my resume...

lazy, unpredicatable, redneck with alochol and ammo... looking for good salary to support his mud habit... job requirements must not interfer with zoning or questing... send offers to yarddog62801@netwitz.net...

i actually read all the posts and this had me rolling thanks rarlaj...

IF (and thats a big if because I get addicted to things easily, like before I slept last night I stayed awake and mudding for 20 straight hours just so I could hit level 40) I can pull myself away from the computer I'm a huge movie buff. I own about 170 movies and getting more every week. I also eat ALOT (I love how different things taste, I can eat forever,) and no I'm not fat just ask Khoric). Before I quit my job to MUD more and pay more attention to school I was a lifeguard instructor and programs director for the City of Austin and worked with the Red Cross which is another passion of mine. And I swim to stay in shape.
Zowa Krunch Dwarf

-Eat them all I Say-
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:41 pm

I just got xbox live about 2 weeks ago and haven't really put it down for very long since. That crap is addictive as hell. Oh, Iaiken, if you want to learn a real martial art, take up one of the forms of shaolin kung fu. Snake style is hard as hell to learn. I learned crane, but have since forgotten most of it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:10 pm

Work
High Adventure with Boy Scouts - hiking, camping, mountain biking, white water, rock climbing, etc.(ASM)
SCA - though breaking for a while, mundane to hectic
Starcraft (never get tired of this one)
Half-Life Counter Strike
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:52 pm

Kifle wrote:Oh, Iaiken, if you want to learn a real martial art, take up one of the forms of shaolin kung fu. Snake style is hard as hell to learn.

Problem is, finding someone who teaches it in completion because they love it, and not just an instructor who does it for a living.

My instructor is actually learning Crane (and longsword) and Tiger (with broadsword) from Grand Master Pan, 5th dan blackbelt and 6 time world Wu Shu champion. It's SO amazing to watch him, he's in his LATE 80's and he moves better than I do.

Problem? I can't make the trip to Waterloo to take lessons, so for now I am going to learn Goju Ryu because that is what my instructor is most comfortable teaching.

Kifle wrote:I learned crane, but have since forgotten most of it.

Yeah, with this kinda stuff, it's funny how if you don't use it, you lose it. Why can't it be like riding a bike? (or a cartain mudders mom, for that matter)

Lastly, OMFG, my silk uniform and my staff were SO expensive.
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:22 pm

The thing I like about the SCA is that the majority of the people are pretty well grounded in every day life.... even if none of them will go salsa dancing.

Awww, Ash...

I'll go salsa dancing with you!

Love,
Eli 8)

Return to “General Discussion Archive”