switches targets

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
amolol
Sojourner

switches targets

Postby amolol » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:44 am

i was reading through the bbs and saw a post made by Tuga (thank you) so i thought i should make a thread specificly for the comment

coment was can we make it esier to tell who got switched to. it was a very interesting idea.
(example)
bob switched to retard...

is it possible? yes will it happen prolly not as i made a post about it ... but at least it is here.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:16 pm

I think mob switch rate needs to be toned down also. I'm still seeing low level mobs switch like mad with no apparent penalty.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:34 pm

MObs have no penalty whatsoever for switching. Switch, bash, boom same round.

Oh and no fail switch apparantely. Have you ever seen a mob get confused when they try to switch?

On the point of the post, I like the idea of showing who was switched to without having to look. Should be a toggle though since I rarely care who the mob switched to when I play my rogue and I don't really want all the spam of bob switched to retard on my screen. I know soon enough if it is me :>)

Good idea though
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:03 pm

8)

I think low level mobs get confused when switching, but there isn't any message if they do, so it just looks like they continue fighting without switching or doing anything.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:58 pm

The reason you don't see who the mob switched to is :

#act {$0 switches to $1} {resc $1} {0}

And there goes any semblance of human thought in tanking.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:43 pm

thanuk wrote:#act {$0 switches to $1} {resc $1} {0}

Thanuk switches to Tiamat. -> resc tiamat

Seriously though, you're never going to stop people from making auto-rescue triggers (we all know the drill: trigger for "switches to" is look, trigger on "fighting %1", if %1 in $list-of-idjits-to-rescue, rescue %1)

All you're doing now is rewarding people who spend more time on triggers, not making it hard to trigger an auto-rescue.
Last edited by othelil on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:47 pm

othelil wrote:Thanuk switches to Tiamat. -> resc tiamat

And nothing will happen, because you cant rescue mobs from PCs.

othelil wrote:Seriously though, you're never going to stop people from making auto-rescue triggers (we all know the drill: trigger for "switches to" is look, trigger on "fighting %1", if %1 in $list-of-idjits-to-rescue, rescue %1)

All you're doing now is rewarding people who spend more time on triggers, not making it hard to trigger an auto-rescue.

That's alot different from rescuing the person who got switched to first. If your voker has been tanking 3.mob for 3 rounds, but 2.mob just switched to the cleric, your rescuing the cleric first and the voker dies with this trigger. That's why you still have to think about it currently, and groups with autorescue bots get spanked in hard zones.

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:50 pm

othelil wrote:All you're doing now is rewarding people who spend more time on triggers, not making it hard to trigger an auto-rescue.

For those of us who used to mud straight telnet while others were using clients, and who now have a simple set of triggers where others have more complex ones, I can assure you that muds have always rewarded people who spend more time on triggers. Part of mud skill is choosing a good client and having good triggers. But good triggers are no substitute for knowing when and how to use them.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:53 pm

thanuk wrote:That's alot different from rescuing the person who got switched to first. If your voker has been tanking 3.mob for 3 rounds, but 2.mob just switched to the cleric, your rescuing the cleric first and the voker dies with this trigger. That's why you still have to think about it currently, and groups with autorescue bots get spanked in hard zones.

Actually what you (and somewhat Gurns) just said was kind of my point. You said changing this would take all human thought out of tanking, but we all know an auto-rescue bot will always be subpar to the human element. If someone wants to make a really stupid rescue bot that doesn't consider if the mage has been tanking a mob for three rounds, let them. They'll just suck.

So how does this take human thought out of tanking? Nah, it just makes it easier for newbie tanks to find out faster that triggers aren't the end-all-be-all of tanking, that they need to think too.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:13 pm

othelil wrote:Actually what you (and somewhat Gurns) just said was kind of my point. You said changing this would take all human thought out of tanking, but we all know an auto-rescue bot will always be subpar to the human element. If someone wants to make a really stupid rescue bot that doesn't consider if the mage has been tanking a mob for three rounds, let them. They'll just suck.

So how does this take human thought out of tanking? Nah, it just makes it easier for newbie tanks to find out faster that triggers aren't the end-all-be-all of tanking, that they need to think too.

But that's the point. If you change this, there is no human thought. The game will tell you who got switched to first, and that's who you rescue. With 2-3 rescuers in a group, that will cover everyone, and rescue bot will no longer be sub-par to human thought.

othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:12 pm

thanuk wrote:But that's the point. If you change this, there is no human thought. The game will tell you who got switched to first, and that's who you rescue. With 2-3 rescuers in a group, that will cover everyone, and rescue bot will no longer be sub-par to human thought.

A clever trigger set can still harvest this information (lets not forget the "hits/bites/claws/misses/etc" triggers in addition to switches triggering look and then you can put people in a queue for the order they were switched to). I'd still rather take a tank who doesn't just afk and let his bot run though, maybe that's just me.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:31 am

8)

Thanuk seems to be arguing with himself. At first he said that it'd take all human thought out of rescuing, then he said that the good rescuers are the ones who won't make triggers and use human thought, and now he's saying that this change will take all the human thought out of rescuing again. Make up your mind, old man.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:27 am

(I'm using bold and italics and underlines for emphasis, not shout.=^)

Actually he's not. He realizes something the rest of you aren't.

IF the mud tells you WHO the mob switched to, it allows for total bot players.

HOW can this happen?
Because you know WHO got switched to immediately.

WHY is this any different?
Because right now the only way to know who is tanking what is to look in the room and get a listing. RIGHT NOW a 'look room on mob switches targets ' rescue trigger just auto-rescues the first person in the room listing that is on their rescue list, which can result in the same person being rescued over and over and over and over while people at the bottom of the list aren't being rescued at all. These triggers do not take into consideration who's tanking WHAT or HOW LONG who has been tanking what. That is what's left for the human element to decide that dictates good tanks from bad tanks. Thanuk's WHOLE POINT aka assessing the situation, and acting appropriately.

IF you remove that by allowing people to know IMMEDIATELY who the mob switched to, a simple trig (like Thanuk pointed out in the begining of this thread) takes care of the necessary assessment that was formerly left upon the shoulders of an actual person.

BAM! Human element completely removed from strategic situations. Hello Skynet! =^P
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:00 am

i was mearly suggesting this because i do all my rescuing by hand due to the fact that i havent been able to make any auto rescue triggers work

i figured it would be fairly simple change that would not affect a whole lot... basicly i was thinking convinience and bandwith. but ohwell
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:57 am

just because no one has posted a smarter rescue bot doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Mine is group member hp aware and rescues based on a predefined player priority giving special priority to chars < 150 hps.

just makes it easier for inept programmers to write a rescue bot that is not going to be really any better than the existing posted journeyman rescue bot.

I'm all for disclosing the switched target in the switch statement. Would make it easier for new warriors to rescue passably well.

Think about how many new warriors get told they suck and go download a rescue trigger? This would make it a lot easier for you to human rescue without being able to scan 1.5k chars / second and recognize stands here fighting YOUR ENCHANTER. Most of us 5+ year players have had thousands of hours of staring at scrolling ansi to practice our skills. Its daunting to a true newbie.
omrec
Sojourner

Postby omrec » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:17 am

kiryan wrote:Think about how many new warriors get told they suck and go download a rescue trigger? This would make it a lot easier for you to human rescue without being able to scan 1.5k chars / second and recognize stands here fighting YOUR ENCHANTER. Most of us 5+ year players have had thousands of hours of staring at scrolling ansi to practice our skills. Its daunting to a true newbie.

True newbies shouldn't be trying to rescue in multi-mob fights in big zones, they should be practicing rescue against a single mob, or in simpler zones. Making it even easier for true newbies to be effective in high-level zones doesn't seem to be a good solution to me. I understand that the most fun to be had is in high-level zones, but please, for the love of satan's uncle, at least get some practice in first..:P And who the hell needs to rescue an enchanter? Enchanters can take care of themselves, resuce those puny invokers and clerics first..:)

This idea would require less skill, and make the mud easier at the high end. It's already too easy, why make it easier?
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:24 pm

Sesexe wrote:Actually he's not. He realizes something the rest of you aren't.

IF the mud tells you WHO the mob switched to, it allows for total bot players.

HOW can this happen?
Because you know WHO got switched to immediately.

WHY is this any different?
Because right now the only way to know who is tanking what is to look in the room and get a listing. RIGHT NOW a 'look room on mob switches targets ' rescue trigger just auto-rescues the first person in the room listing that is on their rescue list, which can result in the same person being rescued over and over and over and over while people at the bottom of the list aren't being rescued at all. These triggers do not take into consideration who's tanking WHAT or HOW LONG who has been tanking what. That is what's left for the human element to decide that dictates good tanks from bad tanks. Thanuk's WHOLE POINT aka assessing the situation, and acting appropriately.

IF you remove that by allowing people to know IMMEDIATELY who the mob switched to, a simple trig (like Thanuk pointed out in the begining of this thread) takes care of the necessary assessment that was formerly left upon the shoulders of an actual person.

BAM! Human element completely removed from strategic situations. Hello Skynet! =^P

Actually, no, we all realize this as well Sesexe. But programming a bot that does exactly what can be done with the disclosure is simply more difficult, not impossible. There are always other factors to be considered besides the order switched to anyway (oh, he switched to a ranger and in the next round a grey elf invoker got switched to... priority).

The bot you described is just a stupid bot in general and whoever wrote it would fail just as well with the disclosure as without. Rescuing the first person on the look is just as stupid as rescuing in the order people were switched to, although the latter is better. A smart bot looks at all the people tanking and rescues based on hps or a predefined priority, and a very smart bot could be keeping track of how long someone has been tanking. Keeping track of hps can be far more important than order anyway - that enchanter that got switched to one round before an invoker might have dragonscales on, while the invoker is dead meat in one more round after getting pounded for one - hope your bot, or you, are looking.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:55 pm

omrec wrote:
kiryan wrote:Think about how many new warriors get told they suck and go download a rescue trigger? This would make it a lot easier for you to human rescue without being able to scan 1.5k chars / second and recognize stands here fighting YOUR ENCHANTER. Most of us 5+ year players have had thousands of hours of staring at scrolling ansi to practice our skills. Its daunting to a true newbie.

True newbies shouldn't be trying to rescue in multi-mob fights in big zones, they should be practicing rescue against a single mob, or in simpler zones. Making it even easier for true newbies to be effective in high-level zones doesn't seem to be a good solution to me. I understand that the most fun to be had is in high-level zones, but please, for the love of satan's uncle, at least get some practice in first..:P And who the hell needs to rescue an enchanter? Enchanters can take care of themselves, resuce those puny invokers and clerics first..:)

This idea would require less skill, and make the mud easier at the high end. It's already too easy, why make it easier?

I disagree. Your skill at being a warrior shouldnt be so dependent on your ability to scan thosands of characters per second. I think the suggested change makes it much easier for new warriors to understand whats going on and the whole look at the room thing i think will still be the elite way of rescuing. The number one reason warriors get a bad rep is failing to rescue to the triggered standards. The second would be being afk in zone.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:14 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

Thanuk seems to be arguing with himself. At first he said that it'd take all human thought out of rescuing, then he said that the good rescuers are the ones who won't make triggers and use human thought, and now he's saying that this change will take all the human thought out of rescuing again. Make up your mind, old man.

That explains why you work at taco bell. Learn to read.

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:17 pm

thanuk wrote:That explains why you work at taco bell. Learn to read.

C'mon cut those taco bell employees a break, its McDonald's that has the pictures on the registers and don't require their employees to have any more education then pre-k.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:26 pm

othelil wrote:Actually, no, we all realize this as well Sesexe. But programming a bot that does exactly what can be done with the disclosure is simply more difficult, not impossible. There are always other factors to be considered besides the order switched to anyway (oh, he switched to a ranger and in the next round a grey elf invoker got switched to... priority).

You can rescue 1 person each round. By the time the invoker got switched to, the ranger is already rescued. Well, in theory. I dont rescue rangers.

othelil wrote:The bot you described is just a stupid bot in general and whoever wrote it would fail just as well with the disclosure as without. Rescuing the first person on the look is just as stupid as rescuing in the order people were switched to, although the latter is better. A smart bot looks at all the people tanking and rescues based on hps or a predefined priority, and a very smart bot could be keeping track of how long someone has been tanking. Keeping track of hps can be far more important than order anyway - that enchanter that got switched to one round before an invoker might have dragonscales on, while the invoker is dead meat in one more round after getting pounded for one - hope your bot, or you, are looking.

You must have the fastest internet connection ever if you can look at the room, record who's tanking, then look at the group list, record who has the lowest hps, process all the comparisons and rescue the right person in the 5 ticks between rounds. Or maybe mine's just really slow. I dunno.

What I do know is that if you have 3 people who can rescue, then your gonna be able to rescue people the instant they get switched to on this change. You gotta get up to like 15 or 20 mobs in a room before more than 3 switch every round with any consistency.

Also rescue triggers = botting, so Kiryan's warrior should be deleted.:)

othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:26 pm

thanuk wrote:Also rescue triggers = botting, so Kiryan's warrior should be deleted.:)

Only if he goes to get food while his group is zoning and only comes back to bid... unless you've got bids on triggers now too? ;)
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:44 pm

othelil wrote:Actually, no, we all realize this as well Sesexe. But programming a bot that does exactly what can be done with the disclosure is simply more difficult, not impossible. There are always other factors to be considered besides the order switched to anyway (oh, he switched to a ranger and in the next round a grey elf invoker got switched to... priority).

The bot you described is just a stupid bot in general and whoever wrote it would fail just as well with the disclosure as without. Rescuing the first person on the look is just as stupid as rescuing in the order people were switched to, although the latter is better. A smart bot looks at all the people tanking and rescues based on hps or a predefined priority, and a very smart bot could be keeping track of how long someone has been tanking. Keeping track of hps can be far more important than order anyway - that enchanter that got switched to one round before an invoker might have dragonscales on, while the invoker is dead meat in one more round after getting pounded for one - hope your bot, or you, are looking.

Please show me a rescue trig that does all this and can rescue the appropriate person, in what was it Thanuk? 5 tics?

Please do. Mmail me when you're done. I'd like to see this one. I know a little bit about coding complete and extensive trigger systems you could say =^)

Theoretically is one thing. Realistically is another story.

mount dragon

othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:55 pm

Sesexe wrote:
Please show me a rescue trig that does all this and can rescue the appropriate person, in what was it Thanuk? 5 tics?

Please do. Mmail me when you're done. I'd like to see this one. I know a little bit about coding complete and extensive trigger systems you could say =^)

Theoretically is one thing. Realistically is another story.

Just cut the laziness, this doesn't even require that fast of a computer or that difficult of code. All you need is a connection capable of doing "look" and "group" both inbetween rounds, the ability to trigger off of fighting (which you already do), the ability to record conditions from group (tell me this is difficult and I'll tell you that you were lying about knowing something about coding triggers), and the ability to make a decision based on that information after group is done outputting. Where's all this insanely complex code?

Gimme a break.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:04 pm

othelil wrote:Just cut the laziness, this doesn't even require that fast of a computer or that difficult of code. All you need is a connection capable of doing "look" and "group" both inbetween rounds, the ability to trigger off of fighting (which you already do), the ability to record conditions from group (tell me this is difficult and I'll tell you that you were lying about knowing something about coding triggers), and the ability to make a decision based on that information after group is done outputting. Where's all this insanely complex code?

Gimme a break.

You're the one who suggested this complex of a trigger system and now you don't want to do it? O.....k. =^\

Are you trying to indicate that I'm some kind of liar? =^(
Here's a link then:
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight=
(Fyi, that code has since been updated and all glitchs with that system were squashed, it is after all a post from 9 months ago.)

Now what you're suggesting is even more complex then the above. Beyond what I've done. So yes, I'd like to see how someone would handle that. Lazy? No. Curious? Yes. Not sure how to do it atm? Yes. Would like to see it in action for myself? Most definitely.

Something I'd like to mention based on experience. I posted all that code yet only one person ever turned around to actually use it to my knowledge, and they modified it accordingly. Most people just asked me if I'd run their auctions for them. Therefor based on this experience, it's my belief that an advanced rescue trigger system would be equally treated. That is to say, very few people using it. Very few people using it is a great deal different then every warrior/ranger/paladin/dire raider in the game having it because it is now as simple as making a re-stand on bash trigger.

You've indicated this wouldn't be something hard for you to do, but as I said I'm not sure how to do it atm.

And stop trying to call me lazy or a liar. That's not at all your normal posting style or even the slightest bit amusing to me. =^P

mount dragon

Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:46 pm

a) We are arguing about good players and yet othelil mentioned enchanters who dragonscale themselves, but not the invoker! BAH!

b) Allowing individuals to actually see who is switched to might actually encourage a return to non trigger rescues. It is much easier to note ranger, invoker, and cleric switched to then to read 20 lines of random mobs and players and determine what mob is fighting whom. My solution was to basically make two rescue sets. The 'fast' one lists all primary characters and the rescue set that I purposefully have delayed for a fraction of a second contains all secondary characters in the group. Is it a good solution? No, but it is much more reliable (FOR ME) then reading through 20+ lines.

c) Sesexe I don't think you can compare auction code use to rescue trigger use. Sure some of people get joy from the social interaction and being able to become rich by auctioning crap. I happen to be the part of the mud, that I believe is the majority, that couldn't give a crap about auctions and would rather drop something on the ground then have to sit around in a city selling it to the highest bidder.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:22 am

Sesexe wrote:You're the one who suggested this complex of a trigger system and now you don't want to do it? O.....k. =^\

Well, not really. Perfecting it would take time and I don't play a warrior. Give me a level 50 warrior and I'll make it work and work well within a week, scout's honor. But I'm a computer science geek, what do you expect?

Sesexe wrote:Are you trying to indicate that I'm some kind of liar? =^(

No, sorry.

Sesexe wrote:Something I'd like to mention based on experience. I posted all that code yet only one person ever turned around to actually use it to my knowledge, and they modified it accordingly. Most people just asked me if I'd run their auctions for them. Therefor based on this experience, it's my belief that an advanced rescue trigger system would be equally treated. That is to say, very few people using it. Very few people using it is a great deal different then every warrior/ranger/paladin/dire raider in the game having it because it is now as simple as making a re-stand on bash trigger.

That's fine, but that just goes back to my original "do we want to reward coders for their skills" bit (since it's obvious the most frequent users would be the creators, then we can infer that only the good coders are going to benefit from an advanced system).

Sesexe wrote:You've indicated this wouldn't be something hard for you to do, but as I said I'm not sure how to do it atm.

And stop trying to call me lazy or a liar. That's not at all your normal posting style or even the slightest bit amusing to me. =^P

I apologize if I came off as insulting, but I was rather frustrated. I did not see this as difficult to implement and I assumed you were just being obnoxious about the implementation strategy. I drew up some rather quick sample code that would make this work. In pseudo code, here is the basic structure for this system. I am not including the long code for some of the details such as what determines what triggers go on and off and where/when/how because it just makes the code harder to read without changing the complexity significantly.

Please note, this framework is supported by most clients, even zMUD (to my knowledge, I don't use it) supports double evaluation, it's just a little used code trick. As for matrices and variable associations, I'm doing this to make it readable but you could use a stagnant set of 70 variables in the actual code and have it as ugly as you want, this just makes seeing what's going on easier.

(note the exact Toril wording isn't quite right on a lot of these I'm sure, just doing this off the top of my head - used "rescuelist" class as a readability feature, everything could easily be inline but it would be really ugly)

Rescuelist:
implement as matrix, 14x5 - column 1 is group member's name, column 2 is current hps, column 3 is number of mobs currently being tanked, column 4 is number of rounds player has been tanking, 5 is the priority assigned to the player (determined by tank)

Rescuelist Functions (make aliases, same diff, harder to read):
rescuelist.members() - returns delimited list of members, just spit out the first column of matrix
rescuelist.isMember($name) - checks if name is a member of the list, simple walkthrough of array or make a name tree when the matrix is created for speed if you're anal
rescuelist.mobsTankingInc($name) - adds one to the number of mobs that $name is currently tanking, aborts if $name is not a member
rescuelist.mobsTankingDec($name) - takes one away from the number of mobs that $name is currently tanking, if the number reaches zero then we set the rounds tanking to 0, aborts if $name is not a member
rescuelist.tanking() - returns list of players who are currently tanking mobs
rescuelist.updateHP($name, $hps) - updates current hps of $name with $hps amount, aborts if $name is not in the rescue list
rescuelist.fled($name) - sets mobs currently being tanked to zero for $name and aborts if $name is not in rescue list
rescuelist.rescue() - uses priority algorithm that gives a weight to each factor (current hps, rounds tanking, mobs tanking (big weight here I hope), and priority assigned by warrior) to rescue someone from the rescuelist.tanking() list, aborts if list is empty
rescuelist.mobReset() - sets all mobstanking variables to 0
rescuelist.updateAndRescue() - does an update of tanking status and hps then rescues like so:
-\
does "look;group;rescuelist.mobReset()" AND
sets up this trigger at start of look command (trigger on "Exits:") which explodes after the look command (trigger on prompt):
"fighting %1" triggers "rescuelist.mobsTankingInc(%1)" AND
sets up this trigger at start of group command that explodes after group command:
"%1/%2 hit, * psp %4" triggers "rescuelist.updateHP(%4, %1)" AND
when group trigger explodes (on prompt), executes rescuelist.rescue()
-/
rescuelist.update() - does look/group commands as above but does not rescue, can be set in "options" to auto-update on rescue attempts so that you update your information before any new rescue attempts are made
rescuelist.roundUpdate() - goes through rescuelist.tanking() list and adds one to number of rounds player has been tanking

Constant Triggers:
"You land %1 hits/something on %2" triggers "rescuelist.roundUpdate()"
"heroically rescues %1" triggers "rescuelist.mobsTankingDec(%1)"
"You hear %1's death cry" triggers "rescuelist.fled(%1)"
"%1 flees %2" triggers "rescuelist.fled(%1)"
"You heroically rescue" triggers "rescuelist.rescue()"
"You fail to rescue" triggers "rescuelist.rescue()"

Wallah. Not quite right I'm certain, but that's the general premise.
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:24 am

Since this thread started from a comment i made, I had to read it very carefuly ;)

Now, something that was left out from the comment i made was the hint about how we can save mud bandwidth in multiple mob fights. If me as a warrior dont have to look in room surely its gonna save bandwidth no?

Now the message 'Mob X switches to..." is just wrong, coz i mean if i can see it switching surely I can see it who it switched to no? Do i cover my eyes when in middle of it switching?

I have a rescue trigger set where human input isnt there, but it goes like this ;)

Round starts, catch switch messages, round finishes, look room, colect list of players fighting mobs, cross match fighting list with cleric list first, cross match fighting list with enchanter list second, shamans/druids 3rd, other mages(necros, vokers etc) 4th, rogues and rangers 5th

Is the above logic wrong? nope, i worked for about 2 weeks on it to fine tune it
Do i have any input in it? nope

Can you have better with human input? maybe, but ye have to be a hell of a typist ;)

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:09 am

Great Thanks! =^)
That's a lotta stuff I haven't messed with I'm gonna have to check out!

Here's a related thought:

What if when looking in the room you saw who was fighting what exactly? Would this cause the same problems we are disucssing now? Or would it be different? (The day I'm having, which still isn't over, I can't tell *whimper*)

Example of what I mean:

l room (with showtitles OFF)

Lost in the Fog
Exits: -N -E -S -W
Huge puddles of blood cover the ground.
Ruxur (Troll) stands here, fighting the second an apprentice mage.
Skug (Troll) stands here, fighting the fourth an apprentice mage.
Targsk (Troll) stands here, fighting the first an apprentice mage.
Gura (Troll) stands here, fighting the fifth an apprentice mage.
Gyrx (Troll) stands here, fighting the third an apprentice mage.
An apprentice mage sits, inches above the surface here, fighting Ruxur.

-----------

Now we'd know by looking in the room who was targeting what, even when one person is tanking all mobs of the same exact name. This would also work when looking from an adjacent room. I didn't use actual numbers for the new text, but I suppose in a trigger system this wouldn't really matter because of expanding variables etc. Just reads better IMHO.

So would this be the same? Different? Worse? Better? I like the idea of having it toggle-able with show titles. =^)

Talk amongst yourselves.

mount dragon

Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:57 am

Very nice idea Sexy. ;) Implement!
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:42 am

note she listed all the REALLY_COOL_TROLLS
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:41 am

My troll is sexy and isnt listed!!!

What gives?

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:56 pm

sesexe just go write it yourself, if your more than an amateur trigger writer it should be easy. If your not and you want it, then look up array in zmud. theres a lot of new capability including nested arrays.

there is about 2 seconds after every round. Thats more than enough time to do a look and a group. its easy to store group hps, its easy to store an array of who is tanking. its easy to compare that list against a predefined VIP list and against your low hp list. Its easy to do a group after every round, to do a look after a switch, and to trigger your rescue off the next prompt following the ROOM EXITS line. Its easy to track whether or not a new round has occured or a new switch and either continue rescuing or clear your variables and start again.

but really the difference between the basic rescue trigger set and an intelligent one is you spank an extra 1% of the time? You get more spanks because your scaler lagged when his brother downloaded debbie does dallas.

folks are just silly sometimes.

Thanuk if i get deleted im coming to your house and bringing a goat.
Guw
Sojourner

Postby Guw » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:58 pm

Yer stuck in the past man..

it's now Paris does Dallas

:)
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:47 am

kiryan wrote:
Thanuk if i get deleted im coming to your house and bringing a goat.

Uhm ok but we're good christians here so you and the goat will have to sleep in separate beds.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:34 pm

Marforp wrote:a) b) Allowing individuals to actually see who is switched to might actually encourage a return to non trigger rescues.

Possibly the most accurate statement in this whole thread.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:34 am

I'm utterly all for this change, as well as for Sesexe's side idea above about numbering duplicate mob names in the room list. As far as I can tell the opponents to labeling switch targets have little to no argument.

You can garner the same information that this change would provide by simply typing 'look' anyway. Is that what you guys want? For it to be necessary to type 'look' after every round just to see who got switched to? Or is someone going to try to convince me it takes a lot of skill to type 'look' every round as a warrior?

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”