Mounted Combat -

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Mounted Combat -

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:55 pm

Should affect:

A) headbutt. when mounted, you should be immune to headbutt, or have a VERY low chance of getting butted.

B) backstab. especially by the smaller races, i'm on a damn horse for christ sake. should be near impossible to backstab someone mounted, or at least a VERY large margin of failure.

and to those who probbably don't already know, trying to bash a mounted tank DOES stun them for the duration bash does, it just doesn't knock them off their horse (usually). and for mobs, doing this seems to cause 0 lag as they can cast a spell immediately after.

Just my .02

also, can we look at the fail rate for riding indoors? i fail more than 50% of the time with my skills maxed.
Thanks.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:34 pm

i guarantee my fat troll ass could headbutt you mounted and if I decide to bash you, your going down along with your little horsie. :P
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:15 pm

actually, i don't understand precisely what you had to say there. i was suggesting the fix for mounted combat involving headbutt and bash...

and as far as bash goes, no, you probbably woulnt' knock me from the horse. but it would stun me.

Thank you please drive through.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:27 pm

um.. ya.. i think my 8 ft troll could knock you and your horse over with a bash.

I was saying that I could headbutt you the same mounted as not. And ditto goes for bash.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:48 pm

So.. you are 8ft?

If Del is 6 ft, and a full-sized charger is 5+foot at the shoulder... remove 2 to 2 1/2 feet (Del's legs are where the horse is), I'm getting 9ish ft. So you are going to jump up, over the horse's head, and headbutt someone? Ogre maybe, giant yes, everything else no.

Further, the idea that people (no matter how big they are) can bash large animals is silly. CARS don't bash buffalo, a troll sure isn't going to. In reference to knocking down a horse, go look at a normal horse, then think to yourself, 'yeah I could knock that over', then go back
to smoking whatever got you high enough to think that in the first place. Now, change that horse to nearly Clydesdale (estimate of horses used in combat during Middle Ages), take a big toke, and keep dreaming.

Yes, I know that this is fantasy and it's pure conjecture.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:57 pm

jesus christ... i was just pulling a number out of my ass, i don't know exactly how big I am. I'm basicly saying that a large creature could headbutt and bash a horse and rider.

It's all relative, and if we made this whole mud as true to life as we could.... it would be pretty boring, and probably pretty buggy :P Not to mention how grumpy the gods would be coding day in and day out.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:56 pm

Headbutt could be possible if the headbutter was tall enough, though it would be hard as hell considering the contortion you would have to go through to get around the horse's body, but you would have to be absolutely massive to bash a horse and rider, considering you are trying to knock over around one ton of flesh and steel, even without taking into acount that having four legs increases the animal's stability a good bit.

All that said, from what I have seen most mbs have a pretty hard time bashing me when I am mounted. I don't actually head to the arena much and I've never seen a mob headbutt, so I dont know how common that is. Then there's backstab. If I, as a human rogue, can backstab a giant, then I think its pretty fair that a halfling can backstab a mounted pc (besides, you dont complain that he is punching his dagger through platemail with relitive ease).

My biggest beef with skills used against mounted characters has always been bodyslam. Though it is possible, ripping a armor clad person from a mount would be extremely difficult for anyone that didn't tower over the rider simply on the basis of leverage. But, as everyone is so fond of pointing out, this game is onle based on reality as much as it absolutely has to be.

Wow, this was longer than I intended it to be.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:00 am

Headbutt can be done from the side or front side to avoid the head of the horse.

As far as bash goes, horses with an armored rider aren't exactly stable. Anyone ever been to a joust? Anyone ever been IN a joust? Horses go down all the time. Even when not going up against a lanced rider.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:03 am

If 10 YO boys can push over cows then 10 YO trolls can push over horses inho :P...shrug... what you talking bout cars can't bash buffalo? boggle...
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:40 am

first off, who ever brought the "you have to headbutt from the front" deal into play? that was never my comment. but it would stand to argument that it was a height issue, and coming from the front or the side, i'd think my head would be at the same height. but, if we want to get technical, that would take a flank or circle kind of skill like the rogue circle does, mebbe? dunno, just thought it was WAY too easy. not saying it should be impossible, just looked at

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”