Plane of Magma

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Gerad
Sojourner

Plane of Magma

Postby Gerad » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:37 am

What do people think?
-G
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Klandal
Sojourner

Ummm... yeah.

Postby Klandal » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:57 am

Being in the first group to complete Magma over a long, arduous time, I can go over the reactions of our group in the order they came:

Excitement - New zone with cool atmosphere, lots of breathing/sweeping/roaring fun to keep you on your toes. After clearing tons of mobs for a few hours we found some missions to go on, sweet.

Shock - We finally get to our objective only to see 41 mobs in the same room as the one we need to get to... wait... it's a fricking 1-way. Why? Screw it. It'll be worth it in the end, right?

Boredom - We wait for hours and hours and hours while the 1-way Crew begins working towards our mission mob.

Excitement again - We finally reach our objective, get the loot, and finish the missions.

Utter Disappointment - The items are... okay. For the time spent, horrible, but even if we did it in 1/4 the time it wouldn't be worth it. Then on top of that, after actually using the loot to finish missions the rewards are... worse than the original items! Enjoy!

I desperately hope that maybe the items are random and we just got the worst of the items available. Or the quests are Nern-like and yield other items. Or there are rares worth even going to Magma for... because if these are the only rewards nobody will ever go again.

Of course, I may still be just a bit bitter after having spent SO many hours for rewards that nobody in the group even wanted to bid on, except to have a "I spent ump-teen hours in Magma and all I got was this burnination t-shirt" in the form of a bagged item. Some of the items might be worthwhile if the restrictions didn't keep the only people that would do Magma for them from being able to wear them.

That's all for now. I may try to be a little more optimistic at a later time based on hope that the rewards we got weren't all Magma had to offer.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:17 am

Well, let me say first that although I coded the zone, others were responsible for whatever stats the equipment has.

That being said, the idea was supposed to be that you could trade in one item for another. Say, (for example), you dont want a warrior related item, your group could trade it in for a cleric item to one of the mobs.

I am very glad that people like the enviroment/atmosphere of the zone. If you actually check out the room descriptions they are almost a page long, as are some of the mob descriptions. Took a long time to write! :)

As far as rareloads go, I cant say, but you never know!

And the one-way rooms are a problem with the mud compiling the zones code, there shouldnt be any one way rooms in that zone. (its supposed to be a grid, the mobs piling up is not intended). I will mail dug about it and ask him ever so nicely to fix it! *grin*

Enjoy the zone! It has been over 2 years in the coming :)

-G

Klandal
Sojourner

Rewards

Postby Klandal » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:41 am

When we found the fubar'd 1-way we thought surely this wasn't intended and petitioned. The response was that they checked and it was supposed to be that way. I'm glad they were wrong and it's getting fixed.

I like the idea of being able to turn in items for other items. Although with the way it's set up now in Magma it will make dicing bids horribly complicated. I'm not sure how explicit I can be with info of the zone without ruining it :P but I'll try to give an example:

After completing all the fights one of the items you would have would be a cleric/mage only ring. But this is questable for ubergay quiver/arrows... which is questable for crappystat goodwarrior only platemail. So if you happened to have a ranger in your group (lol) then they'd have to bid against the casters in the group for the ring since the ranger would need it to get the quiver/arrows or platemail. This is just one example, the other turn-ins have the same problem with class/align restriction changes.

Not to mention that this same ring would be MUCH more desirable if warrior classes could actually use it. Mage/cleric classes already have better options available through regular load mobs in zones that would take less or equal the time it takes to do Magma. Warriors are lacking on having acquirable hp rings worth wearing these days.

I do like the atmosphere/descriptions. The 1-ways being fixed will help a great deal. The reward stats and perhaps even choice of which item quested yields what item might be looked at though. Give me a tell if you want and we can talk.

-Klandan/Turji
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:18 pm

I'd like to know where said god got the idea that the 1 way with 41 rooms was suppose to be correct? surely the same god had access to the stats on the eq and could see that it wasn't worth it. unless it was a high level area god i wouldn't have believed them klandan :P it's all about the kia syndrome.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Savras
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Savras » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:04 pm

Oops, my bad. I thought I caught all the one-ways the first time, they should be fixed for the next copyover.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:02 pm

Dalar wrote:unless it was a high level area god i wouldn't have believed them klandan :P it's all about the kia syndrome.

rofl.. kia syndrome :)

I'm curious where this god went to check whether or not the one-way was intended. Did he/she have a direct link into Gerad's brain? Guess it was just the easiest way to get the 'tupid mortals off his/her back.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: Ummm... yeah.

Postby Sesexe » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:00 pm

Klandal wrote:Shock - We finally get to our objective only to see 41 mobs in the same room as the one we need to get to... wait... it's a fricking 1-way. Why? Screw it. It'll be worth it in the end, right?

Boredom - We wait for hours and hours and hours while the 1-way Crew begins working towards our mission mob.

Question: Is rot/doom ineffective against magma mobs?
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:50 pm

The god in question was me. I did all the checking I could, meaning I went to testmud and looked at what was there. Seeing as how it was not my zone, no areamakers were on line and I did not feel like trying to channel the author, I said 'I'm not going to mess with an area until I know that this is wrong'. I didn't say 'This is the way it is supposed to be'. I then said that if they wanted to continue with the zone they could. It was completely up to them.

Messing with areas/objects/quests etc. without knowing what the design is *supposed* to be is a no-no, and unless you *know* what the design is, you leave the zone/object/quest, etc. alone unless there is a bug that needs fixing asap. One way rooms can be a pain in the butt, but not having a clue if they were intended or not, being unable to ask any areas gods, I left them.

Glad they were not intended because that would have been .... aggrevating.

You people freak often over silly things :P
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:57 pm

Well, a "not sure, the creator isn't online nor are the zone testers" would have sufficed. Kia syndrome is when you respond yes to a petition involving a question about something that's obviously wrong and not intended. I forgot what my situations were but they were all fixed within a week after I asked.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, Dalar. chuckle
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:28 pm

Just when I was about to applaud this zone for having such a brutal implementation of one-ways, it turns out to be a mistake ;)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:30 am

I think that shar did the right thing, because just about every incarnation of magma into toril has had the one-way bug, so there was no way for shar to have known otherwise.
Good play Shar.
Everything is working right now, so you should have the flooded grid that I wanted and not the flooded... uh, one room. :)
-Gerad

belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:17 pm

Bring back one-ways!;)
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:21 pm

Gerad wrote:Well, let me say first that although I coded the zone, others were responsible for whatever stats the equipment has.

Was that by choice? I noticed the zone calculater is kinda daunting so I'm guessing my answer is yes?
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:04 pm

Having studied both, I can say without hesitation that the zone calculator is actually slightly less complicated than the US Tax Code... although similar in style and format. That being said, your assumption is probably incorrect, Sesexe. My understanding is that the zone would be graded by a god, or several gods, and then allocated a certain amount of points, which the area writer could then use in statting his or her own items. Of course, I would imagine that the final stats would be subject to review by the greater areas gods.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:11 pm

Kinda makes ya wonder, Corth.

Yeah, wonder if lesser mob equipment you make in your zone for various mobs counts towards the real zone equipment total. (Like all the blue and white plate in Ice Crag, maybe that's why shroud sucks nuts now?)

Does the lesser 'atmosphere' equipment count towards your point total? Should areas writers even bother making ANY equipment other then the end rewards?

I wanted to do some work on my .obj file, but now I just dunno. Feels all so pointless if all the atmosphere EQ is going to have to be completely statless junk so the end EQ is actually worth something.

*sigh*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:56 pm

If its any consolation, I doubt that low end atmosphere eq takes up many points.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:32 am

uh i don't think cyric wants you guys discussing how the system works in public. he said he didn't want it to be public a long time ago

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:32 am

why u guys discussing the evaluation system in public? pretty sure cyric didn't want the public knowing, so I'm guessing he didn't want it discussed in public either.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:18 pm

If cyric were to become upset by the posts in this thread then we probably could use a new area forger....

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:03 pm

The link to the zone creation page was removed after it was brought to my attention that the points calculator was on that page. It was not intended for public consumption, and we ask that you not discuss it here.

Thanks.
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:19 pm

It's a bit late but you might want to move the actual link somewhere now that its out. I never thought my computer would have more problems calculating a spreedsheet then rendering graphics;).
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:24 pm

I think Kosuth just handled that discussion.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:42 pm

Kossuth wrote:The link to the zone creation page was removed after it was brought to my attention that the points calculator was on that page. It was not intended for public consumption, and we ask that you not discuss it here.

Thanks.

When you ask that nobody discuss it.. are you saying that we cannot discuss specifics about it, or that we cannot acknowledge its existance? The most specific thing that was said about it was that it resembles the US Tax Code. Does that bother you?

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:45 pm

Mitharx wrote:I think Kosuth just handled that discussion.

Actually the link still works, he just removed it from the forum.
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:56 pm

Corth wrote:When you ask that nobody discuss it.. are you saying that we cannot discuss specifics about it, or that we cannot acknowledge its existance? The most specific thing that was said about it was that it resembles the US Tax Code.

I was referring to specifics.
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:42 pm

Kossuth wrote:
Corth wrote:When you ask that nobody discuss it.. are you saying that we cannot discuss specifics about it, or that we cannot acknowledge its existance? The most specific thing that was said about it was that it resembles the US Tax Code.

Nod, OK. Since it appears in the process of still being tweaked, I guess talking about it would be premature anyway.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:39 pm

Sesexe wrote:
Kossuth wrote:

Nod, OK. Since it appears in the process of still being tweaked, I guess talking about it would be premature anyway.

Its not really about tweaking the process... its kind of like how we never get an official explanation of what sv_petr does...

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”