Familiars for invokers and enchanters?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Talomis
Sojourner

Familiars for invokers and enchanters?

Postby Talomis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:31 am

Just thought I would throw this in cuz almost everyother caster class gets a pet, just thought it would make playing an invoker, and especially and enchanter more appealing, make it like a quest spell at 21 or something, just to give them a tank for those hard lower levels if they are unable to find a group, just a thought
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:41 am

make em pets that players can scry through!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:59 am

i'd have to say veto. if vokers had tankes they'd be over powered.

Pril
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:06 am

You say that as if they weren't _already_ overpowered...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Talomis
Sojourner

Postby Talomis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:26 am

so then downgrade shamans? even necros? idea of a familiar is just to help them solo a little...pretty much like the illusionist pet, would be useless in higher levels
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:51 am

enchanters already have a familiar spell, it's called "charm person" and surprise, they get it at level 21! :roll:
Talomis
Sojourner

Postby Talomis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:58 am

screw charm person, wasnt talking about that...was talking about a summon F-A-M-I-L-I-A-R spell....FAMILIAR..NOT charm person...again F-A-M-I-L-I-A-R
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:03 am

why put in a spell that does the same thing - gives your enchanter a small tank? waste of time.
Talomis
Sojourner

Postby Talomis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:15 am

because charm person is a waste of time, why bother spending 20 minutes trying to charm something, when you can summon one in 2?
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:50 am

Talomis wrote:because charm person is a waste of time, why bother spending 20 minutes trying to charm something, when you can summon one in 2?

Um, charm person is highly useful for an enchanter when they charm a cleric mob. They don't need a tank if they have dragon scales, they need a healer.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am

fotex wrote:why put in a spell that does the same thing - gives your enchanter a small tank? waste of time.

Because in this genre of game, mages often appear having familiars = in theme

Mages walking around charming everything to fight for them != in theme.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:36 am

Well, I'm not sure this would a useful spell. Familiars tend to be weaker than the mage that summoned them. They require questing and special preperation to bind them to their masters. Even then, they are often rebellious. Like that mage in cleric quintet. He had an imp and he was all sorts of powerful. It was just a crappy imp. Now don't get me wrong, imps are cool and if they're half as powerful as the one in oakvale, they might be useful. But that assumes you're able to keep full control of them and keep them healed and that they're big enough to take some damage, etc.

So vokers/chanters wouldn't become too powerful, it seems you couldn't make their pets all that powerful. If you think necros/illuses are too powerful because of their combination of spells then you can throw that in another thread, but it's already been stated often that chanters/vokers are kinda broken powerwise.

A cool idea in my opinion. Definitely neat for RP. Beyond that I'm not too sure.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:20 am

I would so scrap my elementalist for an enchanter the day they get a familiar. Why? 'Cause my elementalist would be nursing his sore toes that were stomped on. It seems to me that if familiars were given to enchanters the only thing an elementalist would have over an enchanter would be embodiments. An enchanter >> elementalist in all other areas (unless I'm missing something, it's past 5am, I need my sleep :roll: ). While a way to heal is highly useful, I don't think it quite makes up for the impressive talents of an enchanter if that enchanter were also given a pet. Nor do I think there would be enough delineation between the two classes to justify having both.

And wow, an invoker, even with a pet the size of an illusionist's shade seems to me to be a little insane! I mean, I'm all for familiars for an RP purpose and all but damn! If they were in any way useful at all it seems to me that would be too much. Someone mentioned invokers and enchanters being broke in terms of power. I don't know if they meant they thought inv/ench were underpowered but I always thought they were kind of overpowered for their niche, myself. *shrug* That's without me leveling either class to any appreciable level, but I've seen a few of who I think are the best invokers/enchanters in the game in action and they astound me with what they pull off with their present resources. (yeah yeah, yadda yadda, can't judge a class by the best players of that class, yawn, I've heard it all before and I sit on the fence in that debate)

Just some thoughts before I go to sleep.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:55 pm

can my warrior have a cleric familiar?
can my guy's ranger get a enchanter familiar?

can we group together and need noone else?

o, damn :(
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Personally I think it would be a nice idea, and add some flavor to the mud, and wouldn't necessarily be unbalancing depending on how it was done.

Going from memory here, but it seems to me that familiars in D&D are:

1) Not tanking pets except at extremely low and desperate levels.
2) Do not have class abilities. Occasionally they have some minor magic, but its based on their race not a class.
3) Are linked to the mage so that if the familiar dies, the mage takes damage as well.
4) Function mainly as scouts and extra eyes. Familiars can be possessed by their master and used to look ahead.

Really, if anything letting an enchanter have a familiar ferret takes away from rogues, not elementalists, clerics or necros.

-Llandrien
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:05 pm

some can already have that. people use zombies frum undead trident.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:19 pm

Eilistraee whistles innocently.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:42 pm

Yeah, do it like D&D rules so when the familiar dies, the mage permanently loses 1 point of con and has to make save check or die.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:55 pm

yes lets give enchanters pets... then toss elementalists out the window... who wants a pet to stone when you can dscale it !!!!!!!
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:25 pm

How about charm animal for rangers? :P
(that tame skill is pretty useless)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:55 pm

amolol wrote:yes lets give enchanters pets... then toss elementalists out the window... who wants a pet to stone when you can dscale it !!!!!!!

silly wabbit cant scale pets

-Italian Proverb
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:37 pm

Ambar wrote:
amolol wrote:yes lets give enchanters pets... then toss elementalists out the window... who wants a pet to stone when you can dscale it !!!!!!!

silly wabbit cant scale pets

Ambar you should try to scale a mephit sometime and see the results. ;)
Xaril
Sojourner

Postby Xaril » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:57 pm

You can't scale non-corporeal pets. You can scale solid pets however.

Xaril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:23 am

Ambar can't scale :( hmm didnt know you could scale mephits tho . I stand corrected

-Italian Proverb
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:11 pm

Xaril wrote:You can't scale non-corporeal pets. You can scale solid pets however.

Xaril

Dunno if you're saying ya can't scale mephits with this quote, X, but uh, yeah, you can scale 'em. Just not their big cousins the elementals.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:10 am

Guess I was just unlucky with having an air, and not a solid one like earth mephit then...

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
< P: std > cast 'dragonscales' mephit
Sotana completes her spell...
Sotana utters the words, 'babratgtui'
Feldamir's skin gains the texture and toughness of bark.
You start chanting...

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
< P: std >
Time speeds up suddenly!

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
You complete your spell...
Your dragonscales spell find no corporeal body to transform...

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
Sotana leaves east.

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
< P: std > cast 'stone skin' mephit
You start chanting...

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
It's nice and warm out.

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
Casting: stone skin *

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
Sotana enters from the east.

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
Casting: stone skin
Sotana leaves west.

< 652h/647H 124v/124V >
You complete your spell...
An air mephit's skin seems to turn to stone.
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Tue May 04, 2004 5:29 am

make them questable like the shaman. Each giving different benifits to attributes or saves or have minor spells.

make them possesable.. so you can take control and move with them.

make them summonable once per day.

if they die while posessed or not by the mage he/she has a chance of death himself or loosing half hit points for a period of one day til new summon cycle.

make them dimension door by player who controls them only. ie dim self.

make them classless.. meaning no skills. and only gain the lvl of 11 max.
lower than that of charm person.

as for enchanter or invokers having them tank..

invokers don't have any spells to protect them with.. so they will die faster
than invokers.. making invokers really reluctant to put them into harms way from fear of death themselves or half hit points for cycle day.

enchanters although they will be able to spell them. I don't think that an enchanter will put a lvl 11 mob in the way to tank if he knows that if it dies he could ither die himself.. or loose half hitpoints for a day.

another option that could be used.. is that as stated about.. fimilars really don't tank anything unless in dire emergency to let there handler escape.

make them flee when they are tanking and return to room of owner.
could do this by way of number of round maybe.. tanks for 2 rounds at any given time then flees.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”