New Equipment Stats?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

New Equipment Stats?

Postby Cyric » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:14 pm

Here's a chance for everyone to gimme some input. I have potentially 4 new high level zones coming into the game sometime within the next few months, and the stats that are being submitted for items are rarely good, and usually outlandishly overpowered. Now, I know that everyone wants to have a new Jot with 30 great items available with each reboot, but realistically, I need to come up with reasonably created items that are in need. We all tend to try to outdo each other when creating items, and that can't continue.

So, what should I make? Give me details like "mage only armwear that's +25 hitpoints and +4 intelligence". Assume a zone of equivalent difficulty as Jotunheim. Tell me what's missing in the world of equipment.

R
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:20 pm

I'll make some reccomendations for caster classes, since I know them better Image

Caster gloves.. something with +hps comperable to ogrehides from jot, but possibly better with a spellsave if the fight is tough.

+10hp earring with cool ansi.
Intermediate +hp boots (+10 or +15hps).
Eyewear for mage/cleric with something like +15hps and a cool status effect like sense life or detect (should be tough to get).

I think there is also an overall lack of decent items with +agi and +dex.
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:42 pm

I know that I'm sorely lacking in the HP department as a rogue.. and now that mobs hit harder than before, I'd like to see some things more like tiny ruby rings.. For example:

Rogue-only about body that's +hp and +hit but low/no AC.. Something like AC0-3 +20-25hp +3hit (ie, trade ac and pff from rhemo for +hp)

Rogue-only body armor that has an appropriate name/description for what a rogue would wear.. some sort of chainmail that is like dorf scale (ac12 +25hp) only with some +hit or +dam..
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>I'll make some reccomendations for caster classes, since I know them better Image

Caster gloves.. something with +hps comperable to ogrehides from jot, but possibly better with a spellsave if the fight is tough.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with this..there are so very few caster gloves.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:55 pm

mages are sorely lacking a spanky mask. Elven Masque is only marginally better than the sheer dark skull mask.. and much much much more difficult to get.

Corth
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:40 am

For us neutral rogues, there isn't any neckwear better than the thick chain of woven silver and gold. Perhaps something else for those that aren't fortunate enough to wear seashells?

There is a suprising lack of practical rogue-usable vs breath eq.

A coder I spoke with said that it doesn't look doable to do the Diablow2-style eq bonus, but if they can come up with a way to do it (eq can 'proc' like the drow eq that crumbles on the surface, so why can't it proc the bonus if the entire set is worn - coders?). But if it is possible to do set-style eq, I think that would add a really cool dimesnion to the game and selecting eq.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:04 am

More evil gear that isn't necessarily evil raced only. Give it suitable darkened names based on the fact that evils wear them. There needs to be an advantage to being an evil human besides missing out on all those unholy words. Halflings and dwarves rule the rogue scene, elves and gnomes make the best mages, etc. They should suffer for their superior stats and infravision! More evil gear! More evil gear! Or better yet- gear that is human only! Hahahahaa, I like that idea.

Yayaril
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:03 am

Hitpoint rings, hitpoint rings, and hitpoint rings.

No other single type of eq is more sought after. Every class uses em at some point. Maybe if we could gear some +hp rings to have some stats that would make them hitter/tank friendly and leave all of the amy/spidey rings for the casters. Something like:

AC10 +40hp
+2hit +50hp
+2dam +25hp

The numbers are flexible, but you get the idea =)

-VHF
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:16 am

More gear with + or - stats as well.

I think it's great to add new great stuff, but it shouldn't all be better and better every time. Sure, you can add a +50hp +2hit ring, but isn't that too strong? Throw a -5agility on it too. Or add another +3hit eyepatch, but one that is also -2breathsave. Basically the same as Jenna's, but people will go out and get it even if it takes 2hrs of zoning.

Weaponswise, we are sorely missing clubs, flails, morningstars and axes. Why does everything have to be a 1h or 2h slasher? Clubs are cool, but I have yet to see a remotely good one in the game. Swords were pretty rare in medieval times, they were outrageously expensive and only knights and lords had them. Everyone else used clubs, axes etc.

Lastly on weapons, different damage verbs! I've seen mobs bite, charge, nip, burn, crush, whatever else, I think there are over 20 different types of damage. Not all of these may be fitting for weapons but some may be. Think proc wise... As your black axe starts to glow, it's blade turns to a maw! For the duration of the proc, the weapon's damage verb could change from slashing to biting.

Shields that proc an armor spell randomly, or a cure critical, bless, barskin, or something else trivial.

Also, items that can proc something minor, akin to the invis cloak or change weather earring are great fun. Put them on the zone boss or rareload mobs.

But not too much proccers, awesome items etc if the zone doesn't warrant it! Inflation is the last thing we need, old zones will remain undone forever and eq will have to be downed. If it's going to be good, it better be hard like scorps/seers to justify it Image

And quests! Besides the intra zone quests, some rares, and inter zone quests so people can spend the next 4 months looking for stuff Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:12 am

hitter boots that evils can wear...they only have fg boots really atm sadly.

hp hats for good aligned people...rebel coronet really all we got

find some of the items almost everyone wears and tweak the stats around so some would be tempted to wear them over others...for instance: blued steel greaves...there are azuriate and naga hide...different advantages but all still about the same.

maxwis items! mages get these in droves...poor shamans can really use more...and now chalices will be insane hard to get for elves!

some new protcold item perhaps? warriors are kind of limited to ymir cloak and pfc ring (generally)....boy guess which everyone has access to.

maxagility and maxdex eq ...max eq is just awesome...people are willing to wear lots of stuff just to get to maxstats
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:14 pm

Mageable PFC items that is NOT rings Image
Iltavera
Sojourner

Postby Iltavera » Tue Nov 13, 2001 1:01 pm

I've never been to a high lev zone before, but the idea of not only adding to the eq list would be to take some of the common eq out there and make new stuff with different names/same stats. Seems every time you look at a bunch of, let's say high level warriors, mages, or any class, they all seem to have the same set of eq based on that class. Variety would add a good air to the mud and allow people to focus on looks of the eq as well as stats.
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:21 pm

Poor warriors must have their spanky rareload warrior-only 1-h proccing sword and maybe a shield Image Smth like 5d5+3+3 rare 1-h proccer will be awesome.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:57 pm

maybe some warriorable/rogueable hitter gear that is +hp....

ie something akin to emerald gauntlets that's ac5 +2+1 +15hp

stuff like that

remember folks he said as hard as jot, and jot isnt really all that hard unless folks are asleep at the keyboard.

how about a +3+3 warrior only slasher? 3d4 or 2d7 is good. doesnt have to have a proc.
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:51 pm

Heh he called 3d4 a GOOD SLASHER or I've mistaken???? At least 5d4 rare 1-hander Image (well, maybe even not rare :-P)

------------------
Ruagh The Curious Troll pokes his long nose into another none-of-his-business matter here
Tanolm
Sojourner

Postby Tanolm » Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:17 pm

Protection from cold items

There is a serious lack of good protection from cold eq in the game right now. While there is an enormous amount of quality PFF gear in the game, there is hardly any PFC gear that is worth wearing.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:03 pm

I'm in some agreement with Yaya's idea, although more generally. Since the gods probably have some idea of the range of stats they want for items in this zone, you might want to check out items with these sorts of stats, and see which are evil-only, evil-race only, good-only, gnome-only, and so forth. Then create a more or less equivalent item for with complementary restrictions. So an existing spanky duergar-only item is more or less matched with a new dorf-only item, an existing !evil item is more or less matched with a !good item, and so forth.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:37 pm

warrior gear, tight ass hard to aquire warrior gear, i realy have a thing for axes, id love to see a 1h axe as tight as any sword in the game
axes are cool

TURXX tree cutter by trade

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 11-13-2001).]
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:01 pm

i want something great for the class I am playing.. oh that was already said wasnt it
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
i want something great for the class I am playing.. oh that was already said wasnt it</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehehehe.

Cherz I thought for sure you'd ask for some item that "activates shieldblock" or some such. I agree with your +/- stats idea, make people think hard to mix and match.

Ruagh, if they imp your suggestion as is, that sound you hear will be my jaw hitting the floor =)
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:22 pm

Maybe a pfc item that's worth wearing completely aside from the protection it confers upon the wearer.

mageable/clericable hp gloves

rogue+maxdex item

I also like cherzra's idea of a really good club or something...something we haven't seen before that doesn't quickly become passe. It doesn't have to have better stats than anything else, just worth wielding and unique looking.

How about a yuan-ti only item that makes up some of the difference in hp that they're lacking from the inability to wear earrings/legwear/shoes

I really like the duergar only mithril hammer, maybe something like this for another race.

------------------
·Kuurg·
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:25 pm

And the idea of a set of eq which when worn together gives the wearer some additional bonuses?

This would so kick ass. You might have some really spiffy looking eq and unique as well.

------------------
·Kuurg·
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:06 pm

There aren't enough cloaks around for warriors either...90% of warriors run around with rhemo cloak. Maybe a 2/1 or 1/2 cloak, or possibly even a 3 hit +hps cloak that could be a rareload or quest item.

Gormal hit the nail on the head when he said what he did about evils needing more boots. Maybe make a superspanky quest for some 1/2 evil only boots? Or even 2 dam +mv ones. Some boots that had levitate on them or maybe even fly would rock too....only fly items in the game are about body, save for griffon helm.

I would like to see people wielding stuff other than dancing shadows broadsword for 1handers. 1h bludgeon and misc weapons that are decent would be sweet. Maybe a 5d3 4/2 flail/morningstar that had a damage proc. A 7d2 3/3 bullwhip that had a very rare (2%?) 1 round garrote proc would totally kick ass (can you say Indiana Jones?)!

Gloves....not many warriors have the time and patience to do gold/spider gauntlet quest, and most everyone has either gith gaunts or emerald gauntlets. Maybe make a pair of *cool* ansi handwear (a pair of mystical dune stalker-bone gauntlets) that were ac10 3/2 or ac10 +3 hit +25 hps or something like that as a quest or super rare item maybe?

What else would be nice would be another eyepatch in the game. Not many people have bolties, etc. Most everyone sticks with deco. Maybe a 3 hit/10 hps/sense life eyepatch would be in order?

I'm up for anything new and refreshing, honestly. It gets boring looking at someone and seeing their eq is almost the same as the next person of their level/class/race.

I think the best key to individuality would be restrung items. Description contests, quests, or maybe even paying tons of plat (10k an item) could do this. It would give people the ability to customize their character a little better, to make them feel a little more unique, instead of "Oh hey, nice Surtur", you'd have people going "What the hell is that you're wearing? That's got some major +style! What's the stats?"

Just my 2 corpses worth.

Deathmagnet
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:08 pm

Whoooooot!!!
Yasden said "Indiana Jones!"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:49 am

how about a swirling dragon tattoo (one that works in the in game quests) that loads every boot, make it as hard as you want.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
how about a swirling dragon tattoo (one that works in the in game quests) that loads every boot, make it as hard as you want.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell, I'd be happy with another item with same stats as dragon tat, quests or not.

-VHF
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:45 am

I'd like to see some more items that are have ac and +hp. Like an ac15 +30hp about body, ac5 +7hp earring, ac11 +25hp gaunts, ac10 +10hp mask, or ac75 +550hp eyepatch. Those all sound reasonable whatcha think?
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:48 am

I like the eyepatch, Hyldryn, but I think the other stuff is overpowered a bit.
I'd still kinda like to see a sword that procs magic missile, dualable by elves, and procs off hand Image Give those people complaining about ranger spam something to really complain about.

Calinth
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:25 am

What about more class/race specific stuff? There are a few paladin only, elf only, anti only, dorf only, doogar only items. What about some snake only items? or perhaps a new equipment slot for snakes? After all, a tail should come with its own set of gears...

Yssilk
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:27 am

if you put a new good weapon in please dont make it rareload. that will be super annoying and the source of a lot of conflict. more conflict than other eq slots imo.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 11-14-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:58 pm

Something else..

+hp bracelets for good aligned people. In fact just generally more +hp stuff for good-only.. as of now there really isn't -any- reason for a mage or cleric not to go neutral. No unholy words, and you get access to the 1k eye headband and silver bands, while us good aligned ppl are stuck with nightshades forever.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
, while us good aligned ppl are stuck with nightshades forever.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are better stuff than nightshades out there that have no align-restricts.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:58 pm

Yeah, I should've said something thats comperable to silver bands.. even if it a similar annoying quested item.
There isn't anything that I know of thats beter than +20 (or +22hps) for goodies.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Nov 14, 2001 2:45 pm

You know what would be some cool items to put in? More proccers! Not just any proccers. Things like...

Shield, warrior only (!rang!pal), ac12 wt25 +1hit procs stun mob + no bash lag randomly on successful bash.

Leggings, !mage, ac8 +4agi +1hit procs short duration coldshield on wearer randomly on successful dodge.

Helm, mage only, ac6 +10hp -4str procs stun+damage(150hp?) to currently engaged or targetted mob randomly on successful single target offensive spell. (high occurance of proc)

Boots, !cle!mage, ac5 +1dam +4maxdex procs another 3 extra kicks randomly on successful kick. (above average occurance of proc)

Mask, priest only, ac2 +6hp -5ss procs blinds switching mob randomly on mob switch. (High occurance of proc)

Lance, paladin only, 5d6 +4+3 procs bash + extra damage randomly on succesful charge.

I think I have more fun thinking up of this stuff than actually mudding.
Maladryn
Sojourner

Postby Maladryn » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:28 pm

I think we need more zones like Jot, and I appreciate your attempts to create another one Cyric.

I hope that my 6+ years here have given me some insight as to what we need, and here are my suggestions.

A mask which has 20 hps and is mage only would be nice, clerics can get 20 hps on a mask already and we can too, but the one we can get is nearly impossible any more (elven masque).

Most warriors today wear hp rings, an hp ring with either ac or a hit/dam bonus should be considered. Possibly ac5 +55hps, or ac0 +50hps +2hit or dam. This way amethyst rings are still the highest as far as actual hps for warriors, but these other rings have nice bonuses as well.

One item in each high level zone (one for rogue, mage, cleric, warrior) should be considered, each having 2-3 prots (similar to a mage's shroud in vault). These should all be worn about body, something we already have nice items for but in a trade for hit/dam or hps, we could have the prots.

We also need more sv_breath items! Where they are worn is not really a big deal, however, i.e.

eyepatch 10hps -5sv_breath
mask 12hps -3sv_breath
bracelet +2dam -4sv_breath
earring +2hit -3sv_breath (no mage/cleric)
on body armor 30hps -3sv_breath
ring 65hps -5sv_breath (mage only)
ring 45hps -5sv_breath (nomage)

Also, as others suggested, rogues could really use some new +hps/+hit items. Rogues have possibly the lowest hps in the game amongst all classes. Here are some suggestions:

On body +25hps +2hit
Eyepatch +15hps +2hit
Mask +3hit +12hps
Ring +2hit +55hps
Gauntlets +20hps +1hit

Just some ideas. Rogues are greatly in need of more hps gear which is exclusive to them, I don't think these items are overpowered at all when you look at the class they are going on.

Stuff that should be added with similar stats to jot eq already in the game:

Gloves +15hps +13str
On body +40hps -1hit

Some ideas for rare loads/invasion type equipment:

earring ac10 +8hps perm sense life/prot evil nobits
bracelet ac8 +3hit +15hps (no warrior/mage)
eyepatch prot all (nobits) (no other stats)
onbody ac25 +40hps -4sv_breath (warrior only) prot cold

Last but not least, how about some class specific eq? Druid/cleric/rogue/warrior/bard only stuff would be cool. Even invoker/enchanter specific stuff would be cool. We got all these new flags now, we should use some of them. Not saying items should be super spanky, but how about since invokers don't get any protection spells, some stuff with super high ac for an invoker? Or how about an item which has perm level 60 barkskin for a druid? Or how about a warrior only weapon which is 2h, but has a proc which bashed the mob on every crit?

Just my thoughts.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:37 pm

Rogues have enough spanky rogue-only gear. Enough with that. It doesnt make sense for them anyhow.

I think the overall trend is to mix things up a bit. +hps with +hit/dmg or -ss. That's good, but it seems like ppl want to have their cake and eat it too by saying things like I want to have +2dmg +25 hp gauntlets or something. Dont be so silly. Eq is already becoming worth less. Give some drawbacks so there has to be some thought behind wearing spanky eq. You get the idea.

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 11-14-2001).]
Aedaris
Sojourner

Postby Aedaris » Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:16 am

-4 stre -2 dam + 10% chance of crit
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:43 pm

Rogues have low hps but the ability to dodge spells that NO other class has.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:45 pm

How about a human only bow that is +1+1 and procs with some sort of flame attack?

Sarvis
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:07 pm

Yeah Izarek...

the quest gauntlets are +3dam and they are supposed to be the end all of hitter gauntlets, to just create +2dam +20hp gaunts in a zone would be totally unbalancing. Most of the stuff listed here is +this and +that, +this being better than the best +this item out there and +that better than the best +that item... and combined into one Image
tritian
Sojourner

Postby tritian » Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:05 pm

This would be the perfect place and time to implement the procc'ing shield idea that was discussed before.

Kaw
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:01 pm

+max dex items would be nice. Lots of +max str, but can't think of much max dex.

1h slasher with decent stats actually light enough to be used offhand by rangers. Or a 1h slasher with a proc that's light enough to be offhanded by a human ranger but falls into that gap between halfelf and human strength.

More axes, maces, spears, and definately some nice whips.

Definately more save vs. breath stuff and more prot stuff worth wearing in general.

Oh, and no magenta ansi equipment Image
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:10 pm

Thanks for the input...have already incorporated some of your ideas into the zones on testmud.

Keep the ideas coming!

R
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:31 pm

weapons that can be wielded either 1h or 2h
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:41 pm

spider and dragonscale gaunts are not supposed to be the end all gauntslets cherzra...yer smoking crack if you think thats true. how is 3 dam end all? i get 3dam from cc gaunts.
Lurgo
Sojourner

Postby Lurgo » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:45 pm

I'm not sure if this would be unbalancing but more max wisdom eq would be nice. It'd certainly help my ogre wisdom. Off my head, I can think of neck, face, head, and (very limited in who can use it) held times.

How about 5maxwis leggings?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:49 pm

We need more 'great' item stats on items that are very restricted; invoker only, enchanter only, drow only, lich only, etc. Of course the theme of the item would have to be significantly developed to show this requirement as justifiable. It would make an invoker look different than an enchanter, or necromancer, etc.

-Todrael
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:57 pm

leg and sleeve hp gear for casters
gorgo
Sojourner

Postby gorgo » Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:44 am

Headband of Human Brain
- modify int/wis to match human's
- stupid evil mage/priest only (ogre/troll)

lets have some eq that modify skill instead. e.g: max up meditate, +20 bash, etc.

better still, lets have eq that give extra ability. like cloak that gives ability to sneak/hide, boots that gives kick ability, etc..
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Fri Nov 16, 2001 7:27 am

What would be nice is some more mage or cleric eq that is +hit and/or +dam...the reason for this request is mainly so we can hit at least if we want to...myself playing an illithid you have some skills such as adrenalize that boosts your hit/dam, would be nice with a bit more hitroll. *shrug* Too much of the old eq was changed to be !mage or !cleric.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”