Just an 'out there' idea...

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Elscint
Sojourner

Just an 'out there' idea...

Postby Elscint » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:04 pm

Just from my perspective this idea may help to provide more 'fun' to the mud...

Two part idea...

Part One...
Make all zones more like the airship, in that the eq pops on repop of the zone. Based on a rarity level for each item, not all zones need to pop while pc's are in them, infact I would discourage making them all do so I would suggest that alot don't pop unless the life timer has expired and the zone is clear of all pc's, though some zones like hometowns for example would of course need to continue to pop regardless of pc activity.. invasions could be dealt with simply by changing the current pop stoppers to items that load as Noshow, remove take flag and make it transient and tie the invasions to that item popping. Make the item as rare as you want the invasion to be if the item loads on a certain 'end zone' mob then the invasion loads of course the item would only have the chance to load if that 'end zone' mob was killed and then the zone popped... anyhow I think you all should have at least some idea of what I'm talking about here...

Part Two...
Allow Open Unrestricted Multiplay...
the playerbase is dwindling alot of players dont do zones because there is no value in doing that particular zone to that person which in turn makes it difficult for others to keep occupied.. I'm not saying you would HAVE to multiplay to be successful I'm simply saying it would be nice to see it be an option for those of us who think we can handle it..

Also in regard to multiplay if you think it doesnt already happen you are blind to the obvious, there are 2 very effective ways I know of that are used to multi on muds that don't allow it both are provided by zmud.. there is the zchat plugin and then there are the socks5 proxy servers..

Just a random thought I had today...

Luke
muma
Sojourner

i'm going to have to agree.

Postby muma » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:47 pm

I agree with both of these things. I like the idea about the zones, and I think that multiplaying could be really quite fun. :D
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:56 pm

if ever i have seen a worthy idea it would have been these two
Last edited by Ihazim on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:07 am

Best ideas i've seen in awhile!
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:15 am

This would help out people like me, who can't get into groups. Just because I wasn't blessed with a fully functional brain doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to experience all that toril has to offer. Great ideas, elscint!
Aedaris
Sojourner

Wow

Postby Aedaris » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:16 am

I think I can quit the mud now, those are the two best idead I ever heard.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:10 am

GREAT IDEAS!!!

This would fix many problems. Great thinking Elscint.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:19 am

Wow, weird. Pardon my knee-jerk, pro-establishment reaction, but I just can't see multi-play. Of course, I've had it pounded in to my skull over the decade I've been playing that multi-play is a good way to get your butt kicked off the mud. Also, if you're going to support multi, by the same token you'll have to embrace bots, since at least one multi character will have to be a bot. I'm just pointing this out.

On the other hand, I heartily embrace the concept of Airship style popping. Obviously it wouldn't be appropriate for *every* instance of eq/invasion/etc, but it could spice up quite a few zones which tend to be sparsely populated, if not empty. I think Scardale would be an excellent zone for this. It seems to be teeming with quests, but I was never able to get especially far with any of them, since the eq seems to generally load on boot. If IC vault was altered to load eq similarly to AS vault, the power level of certain items could probably reasonably be restored, or at least upped a little. Well, I guess it might be presumptuous to link AS popping with upgrades, especially since the downgrades feel like they weren't that long ago, but it's nice to dream....
Ace
Sojourner

Postby Ace » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:48 am

Good ideas.

Ace
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:58 am

no to multi play, hi5 to other
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:45 pm

Imagine what a player with access (to mention some of the most obvious ones) to dragonscales, blur, displacement, (full) heal, (cleric) vit, elemental embodiment,
globe or ward, (and sneak/hide), could solo then that they can't do now... And now it would be really solo, not having someone to tag along to spell-up.
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:04 pm

Multi Playing would be a great thing imho. Mainly for those who like to solo or work in small groups. I can't always find someone to hang out with to be my healer or who wants to try and tackle the same stuff I want to try. Hell, I just hate to impose on anyone to have to cater to my schedule as unstable as it is. I don't see any serious problems with it other than some kind of anti community thing but to be honest, most of the people here have been here for a long long time and they know all about grouping and who they like and who they don't. Our community is pretty much set as it is. Besides it will make our numbers look much larger.

About the other thing I really can't comment because I have never been on the Airship before. However, from the way it is described I think that would be a pretty cool idea.
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
molor
Sojourner

Postby molor » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:24 pm

I think these are best ideas evar!

I concur with Elscint, specially allowing multi!
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:27 pm

I Really like the multi poping zones... although you would definatly have to implement specific things... first of all.. you would have to make transportations spells like gate, only gate into small areas of the zones that are not grids.. like jot,muspel, and other zones that do not pop until you are out of them... otherwise you would have much abuse in the area of gate.. group get off.. pop group back in..... it even happens now without eq poping. Secondly you can find where non-sentinal mobs pop and wait for them to load repeatedly.. kill them and kill them untill you have what you need....

Secondly.. Multi-play on muds just doesn't work.. i have see a few muds that allowed multi-play and to be honest they suck. what happens is people roll the characters that they need and go rape and pillage anything they want. Never to group again with another person. problem with this is you find many many people that horde on muds.. and with multiplay and poping eq.. you would have a serious problem. The mud would loose its balance intirely and people would get seriously bored after a while and the mud dies.....

Although they sound like good ideas.. i don't think the end result would be what you want... at first it would be very fun.. then it would loose its luster quick. Kinda like those toys you got a christmas that you play with for 5 days.. then never touch again...
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:58 pm

nonsense ashod...

Elscint for President!!!11one
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:59 pm

I agree with Jalahon on this one.
sifu_augustin
Sojourner

Postby sifu_augustin » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:06 pm

Multiplay fuggin_rules.

and so does the other stuff Elscint said.
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:08 pm

Please lock this thread as it has been honored with omnipotent wisdom.

*bows to sifu augustin*
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:50 pm

OMG best ideas evar!!11!Neon1eon!E1oneoen1Eeon1!!11

Some people might see these ideas as WTFbombs but all you LOLlerskaters can STFU and ride your LMAOplanes to hell.
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:38 pm

airship pop good, multiplay bad.
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:38 am

I don't like either idea, not that anyone cares what I think..

Zone stuff: because then you'd NEVER see any one go to the little zones.. the only reason they even get SOME attention now is because the big stuff gets done. People would just do the big stuff over and over till they have what they want for everyone in their "group".

Multi: Notice all the vets are saying yay to this. That's because a bunch of them already have 2 maybe 3 level 50's with decent trigers that they could easily multi zones with by themselves. I can hear their brains already "Wow, I don't have to split with ANYONE".

Hell, I'm a level 50 enchanter and I could solo quite a bit more if i could multi my ap to tank for me, he'd just have to engage and get back on his horse. ..it's rediculous, people wanting more power than they already have.

How bout a new Idea instead of both of these, go talk to people and get them to try mudding. Quite a few of us all came from the same college way back when. It's not that hard to find forgotten realms lovers who have internet access and atleast a few hours a day to try it.

I give 2 thumbs down for both ideas.
~Drathlaen Winterfyre / Dronak / Sselir / Serae / Cerona / ... and my very happy [8th] shaman Bijo and her tiger! ^_^
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:04 am

I agree with the statement above this one.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:07 am

I think about half the readers here failed "detect sarcasm."
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:18 am

I saw the sarcasm and the seriousness.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 am

I don't like either idea at all :9

If both were instated, I'd prolly try and claim musp for myself personally each boot :P

I think newer players wouldn't get into groups at all if multi was allowed. I'd form a guild with myself quicksmart :9.

As far as gear popping goes, there is a lot of problems in those zones already because you can set them up for your next run through. Would have to change every zone to unload keys, all mobs (since theyd be pwb/asleep) then reload. Anyhow, what's wrong with zones loading the gear straight up? I like going to a zone knowing we will get something.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:55 pm

s.....a.....r.....c....a....s.....m?!?!?!? what is that?

I think Multi would rock! then people wouldn't need to actually group with anyone and people, could solo jot invasion and whatnot would rock for yer gear collection! although you you have 15 lvl 50 chars chances are you already have all the best gear in the game but hey you need to fill your bags! and when bags are filled but more bags! rinse repeat. :p
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:55 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:airship pop good, multiplay bad.

Yep.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:50 pm

repopping eq, good for some zones but not all.... if you need proof of this play evercamp aka everquest for a few thousand hours.

Also, this would likely have the side affect of making level 50s not need to do exp as they would be camping zones, killing over and over, to get eq repops. Dont know if that is good or bad, prolly in between considering there is nothing to do with exp over 50.

consider how multiplay would affect exp zones and low level exp. zones that support 4-8 players would be overrun by 1 person.

consider how multiplay would affect the more social oriented zoners vs the power hungry zoners who are going to leave when they get bored/everything anyway.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:23 pm

OMFG i agree with delmair.... THE END IS NEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as a side note having all of the zones pop would be bad... mebbe like all of the lesser zones and 1 mebbe 2 of the bigger zones... sothat the hoarding of high end equipment doesnt start.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:45 am

On a side note I think a multiplay christmas instead of a chaos christmas would be awesome, excepting that ill be on a plane and wont be mudding of course.... Multiplay halloween! *nog self*
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”