Lord of the Rings. Favorite Character

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Valke
Sojourner

Lord of the Rings. Favorite Character

Postby Valke » Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:34 am

Ahh I needed to see a movie like that!! Awesome Awesome Awesome!!! I am curious to know, what was your favorite character in Lord of the Rings. What did you like about the character or characters? I am tossed between two, However all of them are great!!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:33 am

Legolas.

Elves are badass, we always have been.

- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:24 am

Ghimli....screw elves
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:33 am

Boromir
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:27 pm

Saruman the White
Saruman the Wise
Saruman Ring-maker
Saruman of many colours!

Such decite :>
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:18 pm

Aragorn or Sauran(sp?) both are the gods.

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:37 pm

The troll.

I laugh at all you puny weaklings!
Kyrh
Sojourner

Postby Kyrh » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:44 pm

Gandalf. Smartass, cranky old men own me.

------------------
Kyrh *rawr* Shadowlynx
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:29 pm

Legolas I'd say, cuz he's so cool, and the way he stepped so lightly over the snow!

Also: Gollum!

Aragorn kicked ass of course also.

Yeah.

Mogr.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:17 pm

Gandalf
Aragorn
Gimili
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:22 pm

Pippin!

"whassat?"

"A pint"

"They come in pints?! I'm gettin one!"

[This message has been edited by Ensis (edited 01-05-2002).]
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:37 am

frodo baggins. why? cos he has the strongest will. plus the guy who played him, elijah wood, was soooooo cute!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:00 am

Gimli, hands down
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:42 pm

Favorite in the movie: Legolas. Using an arrow as a stabber rocked.

Favorite in the book: Tom Bombadil Image... damned screwy people rule.

Twyl
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:02 pm

Gimli, hands down. Dwarves rule!

I went with my krew of misfit and hooligan friends, and at dinner afterwards, the women quickly got into a debate about who was hotter- Legolas or Aragorn. Yeesh Image

- Grungar "The world needs more dwarves" Forgefire
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:21 am

hrm. HARD question to answer on my end..

Legolas?

or

Aragorn?

Legolas?

or

Aragorn?

Hrm, do I have to choose?
The possibilities are endless!

*drooool*
Nitania

[This message has been edited by Nitania (edited 01-06-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:51 am

I think the female elves were cool *drool* Image
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:25 am

I haven't read the books yet, but from the movie I'd have to say Arwyn. That whole water horse stampede thing was just soooo cool... and she was the hottest chick in the movie too! Image

Aragorn comes in as a close second, he definately kicks ass!

Sarvis
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:01 am

I thot the Balor rocked...it was pretty

And I like Sam heaps...hmmm

Oh and the pint scene certainly gave pip points....

Um....that elf witch lady was fun...

And golem...always liked golem character..

hmmmm too hard...
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:09 am

Boromir
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:03 pm

!!!!Legolas!!!!
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:29 pm

No one wanted to say Bilbo?!?!? Come on, the best of the books was the hobbit!

Bilbo wants to run back to his hobbit hole!

Trogar
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:00 pm

Legolas was a major hottie, he wins the "sexual charisma" contest, hands down.
Hormones aside, I'd have to say Samwise, his character's portrayal was so apt I was tickled for days. He was exactly how I'd imagined Sam to be.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:06 pm

Funny how women pick out the least masculine guy.. 'he' was rather androgynous Image
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:43 pm

Liked Aragorn, though I'll always look at that actor as Lucifer from The Prophecy.

Legolas was a bad mofo in combat, also loved the jab an arrow in his eye, nock it then fire it...

Gimli was pretty much what I viewed dwarves to be... "and its called a MINE!"

Gandalf is much what I'd view someone with that kind of power and wisdom to be... don't show it unless you're either having fun (the fireworks) or the feces is impacting the rotating oscillator (the Balrog).

Arwen (Liv Tyler's a total hottie, how can something that's got half of Steven Tyler's genes look so good?!)

Toplack
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Tue Jan 08, 2002 11:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Arwen (Liv Tyler's a total hottie, how can something that's got half of Steven Tyler's genes look so good?!)
Toplack</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it just goes to show you how hot the women are that rock stars can hook up with. Kid Rock anyone? Image
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:39 pm

Rick O'casic, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler, the list goes on, and on, they can look like the fell off the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down but women still flock to them.

I wonder if its too late to start a band again...

Toplack
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Funny how women pick out the least masculine guy.. 'he' was rather androgynous Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now correct me if I'm wrong, Ms. Thang... but I suppose if I said you were a real hottie, I'd only be proving you right, no?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>Gimli, hands down. Dwarves rule!

I went with my krew of misfit and hooligan friends, and at dinner afterwards, the women quickly got into a debate about who was hotter- Legolas or Aragorn. Yeesh Image

- Grungar "The world needs more dwarves" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd, the female I saw it with said Legolas was notably feminine.

Jegzed picked Boromir. Here is what I had to say about Boromir right after the movie:

Interestingly enough, the character that struck me the most was Boromir, son of the steward of Gondor. When I read the books so long ago, Boromir struck me as a wretch and a nuisance. A spoiled prince, foolishly grasping at power, longing for that which he could not have.

But the movie shows him as incurably human. Refusing to vilify him, but not neglecting to dramatically show his dark urges, the movie has given us a character as heroic as any other present - one who, at a critical time, saw past his own desperation, realized his fate, accepted it, and died slaying the evil around him.

We all want what we can't have, and this I think, is the essence of Boromir. What is heroic is to accept our constraints, recognize our flaws, and still do what we can. Boromir was weighted down by his imperfections as though by massive chains, yet he dragged them with him, and despite them, managed to do some good in the end.

-- PS: watch out, or one day I shall post up an academic essay on "0wnage."
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:30 am

we established the other day that all women who mud are lesbians...that would explain why they go for the androgynous guy!
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:04 am

My favorite charcater was the type set E mid way through the end credits.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:19 pm

I liked the Balrog.

Yayaril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:16 pm

The Balrog was the only character I didn't like. I thought they could have done a lot more with him.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
The Balrog was the only character I didn't like. I thought they could have done a lot more with him.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so the 60 feet tall, horned, flame enshrouded, burning sword/flaming whip wielding demon that dragged Gandalf to his doom wasn't enough?

E
Quamin
Sojourner

Postby Quamin » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:51 am

D00d! Gondalf was the best! Did you see the break dancing he did with his buddy! Spinning all over :P I got to go see this movie again!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:59 am

Ashiwi thought the balrog was sort of shallow. They seriously needed to develop his character more. I mean, he just makes his entrance and then is defeated on the spot.. WEAK! You need to learn how the balrog came about and what his motivations are.. I mean, come on. Demons don't just want to destroy do-gooders, they need reasons!

Yayaril
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>Ashiwi thought the balrog was sort of shallow. They seriously needed to develop his character more. I mean, he just makes his entrance and then is defeated on the spot.. WEAK! You need to learn how the balrog came about and what his motivations are.. I mean, come on. Demons don't just want to destroy do-gooders, they need reasons!

Yayaril</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL, yeah, nothing worse than a shallow Balrog Image It would have been fun to see a bit more of him, about what he is and where he came from etc.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:20 pm

From what I understand, the Balrog is a fallen minion of a god. The wizards of middle earth are the same..

Yayaril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:22 pm

Actually, I thought the animation on the Balrog was shallow. It was the only scene in the entire movie that reminded me of its predecessor, the first version of "The Lord of the Rings." I thought the whole effect looked as if it had been painted onto a cell and then just overlaid onto the action.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:58 am

Understandable, Ashiwi, since you live with a Balrog and know how they move and their eating habits. =P

Yayaril
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Actually, I thought the animation on the Balrog was shallow. It was the only scene in the entire movie that reminded me of its predecessor, the first version of "The Lord of the Rings." I thought the whole effect looked as if it had been painted onto a cell and then just overlaid onto the action.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you mean they don't still do that?
What ever happened to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"????

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:33 pm

PPPPPPPPPllllleeaaasseee Eddy! I can give ya stars!

Toplack
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:40 pm

ROFL
If you've seen the predecessor, then you know what I'm talking about. Not really good cell animation like old Disney, bad cell animation, where it looks like an overlay. I wasn't impressed with the artistry of it at all. I'm fairly sure it was computer generated, but it still looked like that other form... somebody give me the name of it because I've totally blocked on it... rotoscope?
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:52 pm

For all of you who aren't Middle Earth junkies here's some quick info for you. I'd give you some addy's but at work and i'm sneaking this in as it is.. Image

Balrog's are evil beings (demons) and were the generals of Saurons old armies. Most were slain few were driven off and hid, ie. Balrog who was awakened by the mining dwarves of Durlin (one of the surviving dwarves from There and back again "hobbit") and was aptly named Durlin's Bane. And I agree he could have been more interesting animated/whatever. And for more on him, hopefully if they follow through with the second movie they way I hope, **Don't read this next section if you haven't read the book it's a small spoiler** You will be shown the battle of Balrog and Gandalf.

Saruman is the head of the 5. The 5 great wizards as they are known, which include Saruman, Gandalf, Sauron, not sure on names of other 2 atm. He is actually not being used by sauron so in the movie that is misleading, he is actually on a quest to get the ring himself. And they all entered Middle Earth at the same time roughly 2milenia prior 2 lotr and they are of a race called Maier (prob mispelled) who lived in a land far to the west of mid earth and the "gods" lived here too though maier were not of them more like avatars, (big battles w/the rings ensued and raids trying to take over this island by corrupted humans forced the gods to remove the land from the world and was only accessable by the white ship and elves when they're time was up) In addition to being powerful magic users they have innatly long lives though not immortal due to magic and they have innate powers beyond humans.

Notice Elrond was not listed up there why? Elrond is an Elf not a Maier. And you hear about the Human rings are the wraiths, the dwarven captured by sauron, 1 is w/the hobbits, 3 with the elves, sauron created all but the 3 elven rings and corrupted them all but didn't have access 2 the elven. So they hide them from him, Elves stick around for about 1,500 years then move on to the isles.
So where are the 3 elusive elven rings?
1) Gladriel the Lady of Lothlorien has one
"She got it when they were made and is over
6000 years old because the rings stop the elven lust to leave for the isles.
2) Elrond, yes Elrond has one of the elven rings of power he is over 3000 years old, was a charismatic and powerful elf and was awarded it by the first elf who had it but was tired of life on middle earth so relinquished his ring.
3) Gandalf, yes ladies and gentlemen you heard right. Gandalf has the third elven ring of power. He was granted it when he was returned to middle earth by an elf who figured the ring would better serve gandalf.
Gandalf has kept it a secret knowing the wrath of Saruman if he knew, especially since Saruman controls one of the Planatirs(seeing stones). *Personally I think if he wanted to Gandalf could kick the shit outta anyone who crossed his path*
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:03 pm

Sauron was not one of the 5 wizards
they were
Gandolf, Saruman, Rhadagast, Alatar and Palando.
All that has been said about the 3 we never see was that Rhadagast was corrupted by the power of nature, and Alatar and Palando were lured off to the east by something.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:08 pm

Ok here is a perfect link for anyone interested in some middle earth background. I didnt know as much as I thought I did so its good even for self proclaimed experts.

http://www.flex.net/~layton2/encyc/maiar.html#Pallando
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:58 am

Oops was wrong about the wiz's Sauron wasn't one of the 5 he was notably the most powerful of the Maiar's to venture to Middle Earth.

Nice website but if you want truly archived information about J.R.R.T.'s Middle Earth the history's, who, where, why's. You need to check out the Arda Encyclopedia. It'll even give you the names of the rings of power. Image

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:15 am

The Balrogs are fallen Maier.

Yayaril
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:56 am

Feel good moment. Both of you are right.

The balrog were originally generals/powerful warriors, not demonic beings of immense power.

In his later works (notably the lord of the rings trilogy), Tolkien was to make the Balrog more unique and stipulate conditions. There were never to be more than 9 on middle earth (as opposed to the thousands which were in earlier notes and short stories) and they were significantly more powerful - specificically, they were now fallen maiar.

We're all allowed to revise our own work.

side note: saw LOTR again today. Galadriel's character is growing on me. At first I was put off by the cheesy CG effects when frodo offers her the ring, but her character is so cool through every other scene she's in, that I've since been able to overlook this part. Galadriel rocks.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·

[This message has been edited by Kuurg (edited 01-12-2002).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sun Jan 13, 2002 2:37 am

Mmmmm... Galadriel.
Mmmmm... Arwen.

- Grungar "And so castles made of sand..." Forgefire

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”