teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Marine Shoots "Prisoner"

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:57 am

I would have done the exact same thing.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:51 pm

this thread is going to go absolutely nowhere.

Simple fact is that we don't know the full circumstances of what happened. War is a horrible horrible thing that forces otherwise decent people to be cold blooded killers. Justifiable at times, yes, but still horrible. If the soldier committed a war crime, then he should bear the consequences. But anything in this thread will just be easy speculation from the comfort of our homes...

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Tuga
Sojourner

Re: Marine Shoots "Prisoner"

Postby Tuga » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:52 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:I would have done the exact same thing.

Comments like this annihilates even any good feelings I had towards America.
I can't even imagine what it will do to an Iraqii?

If this is your opinion keep it to yourself!

Cheers
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:36 pm

Corth wrote:this thread is going to go absolutely nowhere.

True.

Linking to a story of what he's talking about or something may have helped...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:59 pm

Even giving his idea of the circumstances.

Wait. I have an idea. Let's all run around with guns, shooting anything that moves. Oh, we have those in America? They're called HICKS? Jeff Foxworthy would be proud of you Teflor!

Here's a hint, that hole in your ass is NOT for your head!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:06 pm

someone should shoot rangers
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:24 pm

Dalar wrote:someone should shoot rangers

And cross dressing asians.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:27 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:

And people who like cheese.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:28 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:

Would you eat a block of cheese if it was shaped like Kerry's head?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:30 pm

Sesexe wrote:Would you eat a block of cheese if it was shaped like Kerry's head?

Silly, he wouldn't eat that, he'd put it up on a pedastle, and comment about it even after it lost the election and then sacrafice republicans to it nightly forgoing all common sense and purpose.

Or, dunno, make dip.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm with Corth... I'll expect the US military to investigate and charge him appropriately.

however, what we have seen and were told didn't look very justifiable did it. =(
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:42 pm

The only reason he's facing charges is because the camera was there to see it. If you think this doesn't go on all the time in a war zone, you're wrong.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm

Damn those reporters! Don't they know nothing is evil until it's witnessed!?!

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:17 pm

Corth wrote:this thread is going to go absolutely nowhere.

Simple fact is that we don't know the full circumstances of what happened. War is a horrible horrible thing that forces otherwise decent people to be cold blooded killers. Justifiable at times, yes, but still horrible. If the soldier committed a war crime, then he should bear the consequences. But anything in this thread will just be easy speculation from the comfort of our homes...

Corth

Yup.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:32 am

Alright. Now that we've shaken the nest a little to see what pops out of it, it's time to gather the eggs and place them in one basket.

For a slightly blurry, but uncensored cut of the video:
http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/Video%202.rm

The Situation:

A group of Marines enters a mosque, where another group of Marines had pass through the day before, the scene of an intense firefight. There are many bodies dressed in military and milita type garb lying around.

The Marines are tasked with ensuring that the mosque is not being used to stage attacks against American and Iraqi forces.

The Marines proceed, entering the mosque at gunpoint.

The Issue:

One Marine notices the breathing motions of one insurgent, lying on the ground and appearing to be fairly still.

He then says, "He's fucking faking he's dead! He's faking he's fucking dead!" before putting a bullet in the insurgent's brain.

The Controversy:

The media has labeled this insurgent as an unarmed, injured prisoner.

Let's get it on.

LESSON IN WARFARE #1 (Immediate Threats)

Explosives can hide under the body of a mortally wounded man with a hot little detonator in his hand. Particularly when the man appears to have made no effort to surrender.

LESSON IN WARFARE #2 (Hostile Territory)

When fighting an enemy who is brazen enough to stage attacks from holy sites (such as mosques), they are typically brazen enough to attempt to blow themselves up to take out a squad of Marines.

LESSON IN WARFARE #3 (Soldier's Duty)

Every Marine has an immediate duty to protect the lives of his commrades and squad members.

WARFARE QUIZ #1

When you are met with an immediate threat in hostile territory what is the soldiers duty?

a) Eliminate the threat, thus protecting his squadmates and his own life.
b) Watch the insurgent push the red button.
c) Eh. Dice it. My wife is pregnant and I'm not sure I realy want to have to raise a kid.

ANALYSIS OF ANSWER TO QUIZ

Another thing you need to realize, that not everything is about just you. Think about who YOU would have wanted in YOUR squad when YOUR life is on the line.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:22 am

It all falls on that reporter. It's war. Shit happens. Really bad shit. That reporter is thinking he's got the footage to further his career, while giving a damn less about the further death and mayhem his video will cause. How many more americans will die from the rage those people have been programmed with? CNN reported that the day before, a marine was killed by a man feigning death, when he really was strapped with a bomb.

War is horrible and while it's a shame, the 'right for people to know' should not apply to these asswipe reporters who are self promoting and in the process causing more hatred.

While it's quite vain to say you would do the exact same, from just knowing the day before that the marine's comrade was killed by a bomber, it's easy to conclude there is ZERO tolerance for any kind beguiling behaviors these wounded are putting up.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:35 am

Drache wrote:While it's quite vain to say you would do the exact same, from just knowing the day before that the marine's comrade was killed by a bomber,

In actuality, this happens a lot, not just once on CNN. Be it in Iraq, Vietnam, Israel, Afghanistan. It's pretty common war stuff.

Furthermore, in an interview, the reporter was very unbiased and unjudgemental. He said the marines took prisoners and treated the wounded as well, and he also stated that he did not know the intentions of the marine in question.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:03 am

This boils down to does the so called 'right to know' outweigh being kept in the dark. NASA has it's Area 51, so to speak. The whole thing is it's kept from us for a reason: Our unpredictable response. That reporter didn't do a THING to help the U.S. Soldiers by allowing that footage to surface. During WWII, it was the Soviet Union's discovery that most germans weren't even aware of Auschwitz. Had the true german populous known what Shitler was really doing, I doubt he'd had 1% of the fanatical enthusiasm behind him.

My father has a picture from Viet nam war where he's helping in the rescue of a shot down pilot in the ocean. The look on the pilot's face is indescribable. His skin was literally falling off from the salt water's exposure. The scenes these soldiers are subject to defy our ideals of what we have behind our little sanctuary within this country.

Media only sees money. These fool reporters are only hoping to further their careers out there. Otherwise they'd have a rifle just the same HELPING the other soldiers. Not only do these soldiers have to worry about their comrades, they have to risk their lives for these idiot reporters.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:50 am

The reporter showed that Marines can aim and kill without unnecessary cruelty. I believe that truthful reporting shows the might and honor of the US armed forces. I just worry that responsible reporting is a thing of the seemingly far gone past.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:05 am

What of the stupid shit reporters who decided to go public with the prisoners a few months ago in the infamous prisoner naked stacks? That did not a goddamned thing to help the US.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:12 am

Actually, as a volunteer, I'm glad for that information.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:20 am

I think the trouble is the reporter with a video camera being there. I'd like to equate it to my wife's job. In the delivery room for babies now, video cameras have now been banned. I think we should ban video cameras from going with our troops who already are doing such difficult and important work.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:21 am

Gormal wrote:The only reason he's facing charges is because the camera was there to see it.

Rule #1 I learnt in the Army was "Don't get caught"
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:00 am

Sarvis wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:

I like cheese. I think we should make this thread about cheese. It would
be much more meaningful that way.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:42 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:I like cheese. I think we should make this thread about cheese. It would
be much more meaningful that way.

I concur with you.
muma
Sojourner

bad thread, bad

Postby muma » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:32 pm

Not to add to this thread, but i would have killed him too. hi5 Teflor.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:55 am

I just posted this really to see who the ignorant reactionist bullshitters were that had the energy to post something stupid and meaningless and yet not have the energy to google "marine" and "prisoner".

For those who missed it, the explaination is about ~12-13 posts down from the top.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”