movement ideas

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
kiryan
Sojourner

movement ideas

Postby kiryan » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:01 am

create some diversity in the ability of each class to travel

1. halve the moves of mage classes

2. reduce cleric moves by 25%

2. increase by 50% fighters and rangers and mounts and give them a skill that reduces their room to room travel costs similar to fly (but without the benefits of passing water and !ground)

3. leave druids and shaman and the other melee classes the same
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:32 am

Uh, no! :P Doesn't add anything helpful really. Does make a task for coders that doesn't enhance the fun of playing to me *shrug*

Relatively, you'd be reducing mage's moves to 1/3 warrior's. 100 moves reduced to 50, by your idea, whereas warrior would go from 100 to 150. Just up the warriors only seems logical. They definitely are more disciplined with stamina
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:12 pm

Rangers should get a lot of moves, but I'm not so sure about the other fighter classes...walking around in heavy armor tends to slow a person down. 100 moves seems fine as the standard. If you start lowering it this is just going to serve as a severe annoyance for low level players, who are the people who do the bulk of walking.

A mor reasonable option would be to give certain classes or races a bonus when travelling over certain terrains. Of course rangers come to mind...using fewer movement points when travelling through forests. Maybe even elves could get a similar bonus. Also a bonus could be given for climbing too (not sure to who though).

- Mike
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: movement ideas

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:44 pm

kiryan wrote:create some diversity in the ability of each class to travel

1. halve the moves of mage classes

2. reduce cleric moves by 25%

2. increase by 50% fighters and rangers and mounts and give them a skill that reduces their room to room travel costs similar to fly (but without the benefits of passing water and !ground)

3. leave druids and shaman and the other melee classes the same

Think about the effect these ideas would have during a zone, specifically one that requires a lot of moves to move around in, and/or that is also !tele.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:17 am

and remove gate from invokers and illusionists... nog self! :9
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:10 pm

how about making combat take up movement points? One idea would to be to have a skill that gives you a X number of extra attacks at the cost of some movement points.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:41 pm

That's the format of the mud I quit to play here. The only difference is every attack used one movement point. Obviously, there were a lot of deaths, due to when running out of moves, it would leech your health, temporarily, but the short term hp would get you killed if you were way low on moves. Certainly seems that races like mountain dwarves would have a LOT more moves than they do. Yarash had a really good point about rangers and their ability to trek
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:54 am

that's not very descriptive. does your old mud have vigs that give back 50 mv? group vig?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:49 am

remove gate relocate teleport dim well shift and whatever other transport spell in the game except res 8)
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:33 pm

The mud I played prior to this one used movement points for melee skills. They also had a vigorize spell. Having tried both, I much prefer not using movement points for melee skills, though it would certainly make things more interesting in zones. Bash took 20 movement points. Tanks calling for vigs over heals might spice things up a bit :O. At the very least it would make +move gear more valuable, something I'm in favor of. Although someone was recently commenting on not liking how warriors need +hp, -ss, +hit and +dam while casters need +hp and -ss only...+move would be added into that if skills relied heavily on moves.

If new movement-draining skills were implemented, and the old skills were left alone, I think this would be a benefit to the game.

My previous mud had a skill called "flurry". In exchange for using 20 movement points, the character had a chance to immediately do 1-5 attacks. It was a popular skill, and something like that might go over well here.

- Mike
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:33 pm

Why not give warrior classes a skill called "endurance"? Make it strength-based, so movement points are simply consumed at a lesser rate, instead of upping the points across the board. Endurance skill could also be tied into # of attacks, corpse dragging, and even carrying heavy loads. Heavy armor, etc., means nothing to a warrior in this respect, considering it's based on your strength and affects your carried weight, as it does in AD&D.

Just a thought.
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:57 pm

That sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of rogues too, to a lesser extent, as well as bards. They travel a lot too. Especially fleeing rogues!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:13 pm

Linking movements to stats is good enough.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”