ask ihazim anything

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:10 pm

What happened to the Ask Corth thread? It vanished mysteriously! ooo.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:22 am

Yeah whered that other thread go?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:47 am

rylan wrote:Yeah whered that other thread go?

It got deleted probably right after my last post, i'm sure the bickering had something to do with it. But it's still mysterious and magical...or something anyway.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:57 am

Wow you msut've said something good to get it deleted :P
And nobody even got to see my reply form! haha
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:58 am

If a thread is deleted, did it ever actually exist?
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:53 am

Ashiwi wrote:If nobody ever truly sees you, then who is to say whether you are ugly or pretty? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

that is true but who is the real beholder?
-------------------------------------------------------
Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'
Lilen group-says 'where are all da trolls i was promised'
Lilen has left the group.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:13 am

Feh i missed all the bickering in my namesake thread :(
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:41 am

Corth wrote:Feh i missed all the bickering in my namesake thread :(

Err?

You had a reply after most of it... though if Arilin replied after you I missed it.

Oops... probably going to get yelled at now. Forgot I'm not allowed to speak here!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:33 am

it had something to do with an attack on myself and arilin and us defending ourselves ... then it went bad from there

i honestly don't mind debates between people .. they are good and healthy when the topics change and opinions are respected (I didnt see the presidential candidates attack each other as much as these two posters did) ... when it turns to personal flames and the same nonsensical post ... after post after post ...

*this is the song that never ends .. it goes on and on my friends ......*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:47 am

Sarvis,

Unfortunately, all i saw in that thread was relatively mundane discussion about abstract political philosophy. I missed all the fun stuff :(

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Ambar wrote:it had something to do with an attack on myself and arilin and us defending ourselves ... then it went bad from there

i honestly don't mind debates between people .. they are good and healthy when the topics change and opinions are respected (I didnt see the presidential candidates attack each other as much as these two posters did) ... when it turns to personal flames and the same nonsensical post ... after post after post ...

*this is the song that never ends .. it goes on and on my friends ......*

Umm... I didn't attack either of you. I merely wondered out loud how long it would be until one or both of you tried to shut down the discussion.

Apparently you weren't willing to let it happen at all.

<b>Corth</b>

Well, I caught your reply at some point and it finally showed me the difference between libertarians and republicans. They almost always sound alike when discussing economics, and that's usually what gets discussed so I thought of libertarians as sort of X-TREME Republicans... heh.

But I guess being far left on social issues is a pretty big difference...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:45 pm

Sarvis wrote:Umm... I didn't attack either of you. I merely wondered out loud how long it would be until one or both of you tried to shut down the discussion.

You still don't get it, but that's cool. If I tried to explain it again like I did on the other post, i'd probably get edited or get this deleted anyway. Enjoy.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:54 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Umm... I didn't attack either of you. I merely wondered out loud how long it would be until one or both of you tried to shut down the discussion.

You still don't get it, but that's cool. If I tried to explain it again like I did on the other post, i'd probably get edited or get this deleted anyway. Enjoy.

Ok Arilin, Look. I'm not trying to be an asshole or piss you off about this or anything.

But I don't see how you two feel justified in butting into a conversation that you weren't part of. Teflor and I certainly weren't arguing back and forth with the purpose of upsetting you, we were having our own little discussion.

Ambar claims I attacked you guys, yet I feel as if I'm being attacked when you come in and tell me to shut up in multiple threads just because you don't like what I'm saying. (Even if what I'm saying IS repetative.)

Can you at least accept that much?

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:16 pm

Sarvis wrote:Ok Arilin, Look. I'm not trying to be an asshole or piss you off about this or anything.

But I don't see how you two feel justified in butting into a conversation that you weren't part of. Teflor and I certainly weren't arguing back and forth with the purpose of upsetting you, we were having our own little discussion.

Ambar claims I attacked you guys, yet I feel as if I'm being attacked when you come in and tell me to shut up in multiple threads just because you don't like what I'm saying. (Even if what I'm saying IS repetative.)

Can you at least accept that much?

Oh I know you're not attempting to be an ass, it comes across that way but that's neither here nor there. I'll try to explain what I said in the other thread sans the slams, and etc. The whole thing started with the Team America thread and your first response which brought Teflor in, and then you two went at it.

The only reason i'm selecting you, as opposed to Teflor, is, well, he's a retard and atleast you're sort of fighting back. I don't think it was an attack in the other thread as Jennifer said, but it was definately a slam which is cool. I can deal with that. The whole point is, you can argue about what you want, I really don't care. It just bugs me when I see the same argument in two different threads when one of those threads has _nothing_ to do with it, i.e. the team america thread. It was started to be funny, then you and Tef started to go at it which bugged me.

That was the point. End of story
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:42 pm

Actually my first reply in that thread was simply:

*snicker*

My second reply was just pointing out that the video in question was political satire.

And it _was_ political satire, so it'sa little disengenous to claim the thread had nothing to do with politics.

Also, Teflor was already there at that point.

However, in looking over threads it appears I've lumped you and Ambar together on this when you haven't been nearly so offensive.

So I'm sorry for being such an ass to you Arilin.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:44 pm

Sarvis wrote:Actually my first reply in that thread was simply:

*snicker*

My second reply was just pointing out that the video in question was political satire.

And it _was_ political satire, so it'sa little disengenous to claim the thread had nothing to do with politics.

However, in looking over threads it appears I've lumped you and Ambar together on this when you haven't been nearly so offensive.

Oh. I kinda actually hoped i'd been offensive. I thought Jennifer was being nice about the ordeal.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Actually my first reply in that thread was simply:

*snicker*

Oh. I kinda actually hoped i'd been offensive. I thought Jennifer was being nice about the ordeal.

Well, assuming Jennifer is Ambar, she was trying to shut discussions down way back in the Letter from Kerry thread, getting other threads started to bait me and such.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:20 pm

There are private discussions in an open forum? Isn't that what the private messaging feature is for? To expect to be able to post your discussions in an open forum and not have anybody else post on something you made public, then get irate about it when they do, seems kind of unrealistic, doesn't it?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:22 pm

OK! Really, we don't need another Sarvis vs. Anyoneelsethread. Please, stop baiting him into it. And for the love of all that is holy, please, stop hijacking threads. This *was* a fun thread. I don't care who started what. I'm a mom and due to my expertise in this *exact* scenario irl, I can tell you that ultimately it dosen't matter who threw the first stone when both parties end up bloody. If you want to take it to a personal level and all that jazz, use email.

Honestly, everybody involved with this particular case are intelligent people. You should have realized by now that all your "debating" is BORING to every single other reader out there and thus, useless.

I took care of that other thread and I edit even more. I will continue to do so until the problem either stops or the posters are gone. Some of you are coming close to an official warning.

Sometimes egging someone on can be fun. :) I admit, I'm guilty of it too. Fine line between fun and old hat. I can safely say that we've passed that line a while ago, here.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:31 pm

Ashiwi:

True, the discussions are public. But trying to shut down a discussion is hardly taking part in it.

Shar:

I'm trying to avoid another Vs. thread here!

I'm (hopefully) resolving the issues Arilin and I have had so we can move past it...

And to be fair, I baited _them_ into that Corth thread... heh.

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:38 pm

Take it to private channels then. I'd suggest email. Thanks.

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:08 pm

Shar wrote:
I took care of that other thread

Omg! Kossuth would be proud! :)

Almost but not quite as good as 'handled'!

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:13 pm

bahahha. :)

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:38 pm

Ihazim ...

why do sailors dress uniforms have the flap on the back?

and what is/are "skuttlebutt"?

and what does the first brown band on a resistor indicate?

you said .. ask you anything ...
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:41 pm

Since this is a potpourri of fact, here goes!
Strange but true:

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s . . .

These are interesting. Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and smelled pretty good by June. However, they were still starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence, the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children - last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence, the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could really mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence. The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying dirt poor.

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they kept adding more thresh until when you opened the door it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence, the saying a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes the stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning and death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer. This is also believed the be the beginning of the 'Grave Yard Shift.' And that's the truth...

Anyway - here's the question(s) Why do we drive in a parkway but park in a driveway? Why do we wear a pair of underwear, yet there is only one bra? When you are peeling chilis, do you make soup? Why is something seemingly absurd to one, just common sense to another? How was Einstein so smart since he couldn't even match socks? :P I could ramble on all day! Why? (hrm, nevermind, don't answer that!)
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Why is 42 the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?

(Oh, and I was reminded of another one of those "this is why" things when reading the previous post.. my memory is a bit shady about the specifics, but apparently in some culture (possibly nordic?) in some time past, if people didn't want you living in their town any more, they'd have a ceremony involving burning your house down. Hence, you were "fired" from the village.)
muma
Sojourner

like, LE FLAMEZOR

Postby muma » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:19 am

Why is Corth one of the very few people around on the bbs who actually knows about what he's talking? (also he is young too (not yet 30?), so that's uncommon)

I will now predict that Ihazim will tell me it's because Corth has had a lot of education and is also intelligent and wise. Listen to what he says and you might learn something.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:12 am

I luv joo Muma :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:55 am

Sonon wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:If nobody ever truly sees you, then who is to say whether you are ugly or pretty? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

that is true but who is the real beholder?

is no one ever going to answer my question?

if beauty is in the eye of the beholder who is the beholder?

Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:33 am

Him:

Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:22 pm

Shevarash wrote:what ryhmes with "orange"?

It's a stretch but:

Door Hinge
Sephraem
Sojourner

Postby Sephraem » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:09 pm

Thilindel wrote:Since this is a potpourri of fact, here goes!
Strange but true:

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s . . .

...And that's the truth...

I'm afraid it's not.

You'll find those 'facts' debunked here.
If you love something, let it go; especially if you love fireworks.
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:02 pm

i love lamp
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:14 pm

Why is Muma sucking up to Corth?

Cheers
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:33 pm

he had to go and ruin my fun :P
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Sarvis wrote:now for the question...

whats long roung hard and full of semen?

are thanuk's mom jokes still popular?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:17 pm

kwirl wrote:
Sarvis wrote:now for the question...

whats long roung hard and full of semen?

are thanuk's mom jokes still popular?

Err.. I didn't write that...

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:17 pm

Thilindel, you'll be happy to know that the retort to your "fun facts" wasn't 100% accurate, either. Several of the "debunking" arguments would be accurate, were there not a question of living conditions in poverty class... like that whole "dirt floor" debunking.

His argument against the origin of the term "threshold" tickled me the most. He danced a long way around that without even considering that maybe a threshing room might need a stop to keep grain from spilling out, thus the placement of a "threshold" in the doorway. In homes which used reeds or straw on the floor, the threshold would be a logical addition to the doorway, in order to keep the flooring in, and since the next step above the dirt floors of the poorest hovels was a simple wooden floor laid out on the ground, it also kept a great deal out of the house, as well. I'm no history buff, but that seems like common sense to me.

As mentioned briefly above in the "everybody slept on the floor" discussion, floors were never bare dirt anyway. Fresh reeds were laid on them every day and thrown out every night, with another fresh set brought in for sleeping on. In the summer months, aromatic herbs might be added to this vegetive underfooting.

Where you have poverty, you'll have bare dirt floors. As for the reeds getting thrown out every day, that would only be in the better households, as the poor couldn't afford it, let alone the cost of herbs, just to waste them in the floor.

Where you have cats and mice in the same room, the cats will follow wherever the mice go... even into the roof.

All this is to say that by the 1500s one would have been hard pressed to find any homes that were not heated, or where the inhabitants shivered piled up together in a communal dogpile.

Even into the early 1900's in many parts of Europe, the "communal" fashion of living was still going strong. Read any book about the living conditions of the poorer sections of London, and you'll find households that rented one-room apartments out to 30 people at a time. The scene in that one depiction of the Jack the Ripper killings where the four or five women slept sitting up, tied together in order to maintain their positions on a single couch, came from one of their own accounts.

Canopied beds are actually a combination of an attempt to keep bugs and vermin out of the sleeping areas of the wealthier, and a way of showing off wealth. Why did women back then wear dresses that trailed on the ground? Because fabric was expensive and only the very wealthy could afford those styles... the more fabric, the more wealth you had.

Nothing was mass produced back then... not in the way we think of it today. The cost of a cup or a plate could be dear, especially in areas where the cutting of lumber was prohibited. Of course travelers were often expected to provide their own diningware, if they wanted to use anything other than a piece of bread. Your cup was carried by a leather strap on your belt.

It didn't have to do with any particular country being too small to hold all the dead bodies, though — it had to do with the shortage of space in established cemeteries.

Actually, it's a combination of the two. Many parts of England were so highly overcrowded that there just wasn't anywhere to build new cemetaries. I forget the name of the place, but at one point in time an enormous cemetary was established outside of the city, and in order to give it more appeal to potential tenants, it was portrayed as more of a park, or a place you'd want to have a picnic with your family, and transportation traveled back and forth several times a day, to combat the belief that the deceased needed to be kept close (somebody refresh my memory here, was "Elysium Fields" the name of the place?).

Premature burial signalling devices only came into fashion in the 19th century

I'll have to check my references again, but I'm fairly sure there's evidence of several anti-living-burial devices pre-19th century, in both common burial sites and wealthier family mausoleums. While the incidence wasn't nearly 1 in 25, the fear of being buried alive seemed almost to be in fashion, with rewards being offered to the most ingenious creation which would help prevent such a horror.

While the debunking version might have been more accurate, it wasn't nearly as much fun, nor was it accurate enough to merit such a condescending tone.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:29 pm

I already saw that article right after Seph posted. I like european history so my stupid dad sent me that. Figures he's a practical joker.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:03 am

I have to admit that I only take the word of snopes so far. First of all, pop up ads. Yes, not much of a reason, but it still smacks a bit of lack of integrity. Then, there's the often conversational tone with which an author will write to debunk the myths, which makes it sound quite a bit more like the person is only stating their own opinion, rather than doing credible research. Lastly.. they say the *ahem* on The Little Mermaid covers/posters wasn't put there on purpose. Definitely bogus.

So.. I guess to be on topic...

Is there really a phallus on the cover art/posters of The Little Mermaid, and was it intentional?
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:54 am

Ashiwi wrote:Where you have poverty, you'll have bare dirt floors. As for the reeds getting thrown out every day, that would only be in the better households, as the poor couldn't afford it, let alone the cost of herbs, just to waste them in the floor.

As far as the herbs, most people had some sort of kitchen garden, where they grew what herbs they could for household uses. But they still might not have used them in the reeds, which I believe were refered to as 'rushes' I'll have to check on that, though.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:55 am

selerial wrote:Is there really a phallus on the cover art/posters of The Little Mermaid, and was it intentional?

yes and I don't know ;)
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:15 am

that is not what i meant and you know it i truly want to know what you think

"Sonon"
if beauty is in the eye of the beholder who is the beholder?

Tida
Sojourner

Postby Tida » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:22 pm

selerial wrote:
Is there really a phallus on the cover art/posters of The Little Mermaid, and was it intentional?

yes there really is on the older ones, the ones that came out with the movie before disney caught it. from what i had heard yes it was intentional. the person that did the art work got mad at disney because they wouldn't give the artist more money.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:49 pm

Yes, there was a phallus on the cover of the original "Little Mermaid" castle artwork. I used to have the first printing of that VHS, and it was definitely there. There really was "sex" printed in flower pollen and dust in "The Lion King," too... scene advance is an amazing thing.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”