Baldur's Gate ToB

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Baldur's Gate ToB

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:06 am

I found this game left at the mall so I installed it on my puter. Anybody ever try it w/o using cheats/hacks? It's hard to find help files on the net w/o gobs of cheats and editors. I don't even know if you're penalized for hours/days in trying to find that Imoen chick...since every time it saves, you see xxx days/xxx hours. Any of you guys played it? I bet Llaaldara knows about it. She seems to be a walking D&D thesaurus! Very handy
Lalsed
Sojourner

good game

Postby Lalsed » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:27 am

I've played it. I actually got quite far a few times but always had to leave and my computer ended up changing and things. I was actually just playing it about a week or so ago. It's a hard game, but doable. I don't think there is a penalty for Imoen, I always do tons of side quests before I go get her because some certain stuff happens when you do. Don't want to spoil anything. Anyways, it's a great game, I always loved playing with the evil characters, they're just way cooler.

Oh yeah and the dragon fights are hard as can be but way fun too. Tons of playtime if you want that, don't know how fast it is if you just stick to the storyline though.

Anyways, I hnope that helped, I realize it's probably really confusing, I'm kind of tired right now.

Cool, have fun.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:04 pm

yeah thanks :) I'm having a hard time just getting out of that dungeon. Those 2 golems killed minsc in 2 hits :(
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:06 pm

I got to the last nasty fight in Throne of Bhaal before I used cheats. That was a BEYOTCH of a fight. I Ended up removing the XP cap and raising all characters to the highest level and I still died a few times.

I had to do a few one click kills on those Balors to allow me to get to the end guy. Normally I would kill everything and then have my Character be the only survivor to face whatever that last mob. He would almost always kick my butt. Until I lucked up once.

But that's been nearly a year ago since I finished it.

Grummy
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:34 pm

It's a very nice, very well done game with some of the best single player action out there. I beat the game with a solo paladin and a solo wizard. The party interactions were sorely missed, but I flat out hate trying to micromanage the idiot AI and scripting. For more sensible play from your party members, I recommend downloading some of the third party AI scripts and trying it out.

That said... Timestop + Improved Alacity + Pause key = Lots of bodies.

-Zen
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:21 pm

I never got to ToB expansion but I did play BG2 up to its 'ending'. Was a very fun game, although a bit faster pace than the first one. I definatly liked the Staff of the Magi fight best, and the cloak that defelected all spells was godly. I also tend to think of the dragon fights in this game when encountering a dragon in toril.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Re: Baldur's Gate ToB

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:44 pm

Thilindel wrote:I found this game left at the mall so I installed it on my puter. Anybody ever try it w/o using cheats/hacks? It's hard to find help files on the net w/o gobs of cheats and editors. I don't even know if you're penalized for hours/days in trying to find that Imoen chick...since every time it saves, you see xxx days/xxx hours. Any of you guys played it? I bet Llaaldara knows about it. She seems to be a walking D&D thesaurus! Very handy

Hey thanx! :D

Sorry, but I only tried BG1. Played it for only an afternoon before I got tired of walking everywhere. So I downloaded cheat codes, and gave my entire party haste boots. Still got bored. I think all in all I spent more time doing various cheats and over-decking out my party then actually playing the game.

I couldn't get into Planescape, or any of the other Bioware D&D spin-offs because of the wretched multiplayer design to them. I winded up being a big Diablo 2 fan during this time period instead.

You're probably going to have more luck via 'Bioware' searches then 'D&D' in this case for finding material to help you out. G'luk and hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it goes, as I don't know many folks that did play and beat this one.

Maybe one day I'll go back and play the BG games... *shrug* We'll see
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:00 pm

cool, thanks for helpin me :) I found this site: www.sorcerers.net Has all kinds of stuff that isn't really cheating ..I guess. Stuff where you can have the evil nps and good ones get along? Hey, how do ya solo with a pally? Some of the traps in irenicus' dungeon are 60 damage I found out :/
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:50 pm

I played it a long time ago with a friend. Your best bet is to make a summoning druid, all the pets take up a ton of the big hits. Also, the side quests and eventually killing the dragons lead to sweet gear that you can re-eq chars with later. Lastly, before doing TOB expansion, do the Gaax demi lich quest for his ring. You can beat him legitimately if you use a summoning druid and go all out......and berserkers in rage aren't able to be mazed. :) It's fun and long, but a great game.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:56 pm

Thilindel wrote:cool, thanks for helpin me :) I found this site: www.sorcerers.net Has all kinds of stuff that isn't really cheating ..I guess. Stuff where you can have the evil nps and good ones get along? Hey, how do ya solo with a pally? Some of the traps in irenicus' dungeon are 60 damage I found out :/

Pretty sure paladins get detect traps, but I'm a bit rusty. I do know they get ungodly saves and immunity to fear. I always take the cavalier kit and make sure I have high con.
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'

Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:06 pm

I forgot all about Gaax. I never did smite that SOB, but at the time I didnt know you needed one of the 5? artifact weapons to even damage him and some serioust pet action to soak up his imprisonment spam.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Yeesh, just read that if you open the baldur.ini file and add the line Debug Mode = 1 (I think) that you can hit 'Control Q' when the cursor is on any NPC and it forces them in your group :P haha, that's gonna be fun to play with. Seems like it'll mess up quests?

Another thing that's crazy is it says on ToB helpfile...maybe shadows of amn as well, that Chromatic Orb can straight up kill if you are above 12th? lvl and mob fails save. They have a +6 to save but god, that's crazy power for a lvl 1 spell! Oooh, last dorky question. What good is reputation? Is ending better if rep is high?
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:50 pm

I completed both when they were new. The key is to absolutely have Wish before the final fight sequence because you won't be able to rest and get spells back. One of the Wish options is to be 'fully rested'. Other than that it's easy enough.
emote Rescuepractice
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:30 am

My god this is annoying, you have to submit like 3x in a row for it to post. It'll say page not available and you have to re-write. Anyway, Llaaldara, I gotza question for ya! On that sorcerers.net site, they have a mini-mod where you 'wield' a wraith style attack rather than a weapon. So you do (it seems) 1-6 damage, but ALWAYS drain 1 level when you hit, unless target is neg plane protected. Just what magnitude of a cheat is this? Huge or something trivial? You can backstab with it. With a 4x multiplier, the bs did 11 damage, but it sapped 1 level to boot. I wanna make a small advantage but nothing where the game is a cakewalk.

Main reason I ask is it looks like there's some godly crap in the game. Some hammer that makes your innate strength 25, and kills some things in one hit, ..um, some katana that stuns you for 2 rounds per hit if you fail a save. So figure this level drain may be just a alternate way to smoosh stuff
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:31 pm

Thilindel wrote:My god this is annoying, you have to submit like 3x in a row for it to post. It'll say page not available and you have to re-write. Anyway, Llaaldara, I gotza question for ya! On that sorcerers.net site, they have a mini-mod where you 'wield' a wraith style attack rather than a weapon. So you do (it seems) 1-6 damage, but ALWAYS drain 1 level when you hit, unless target is neg plane protected. Just what magnitude of a cheat is this? Huge or something trivial? You can backstab with it. With a 4x multiplier, the bs did 11 damage, but it sapped 1 level to boot. I wanna make a small advantage but nothing where the game is a cakewalk.

Main reason I ask is it looks like there's some godly crap in the game. Some hammer that makes your innate strength 25, and kills some things in one hit, ..um, some katana that stuns you for 2 rounds per hit if you fail a save. So figure this level drain may be just a alternate way to smoosh stuff

Don't mod it until you beat it, it ruins it. Complete the Gaxx quest and get Celestial Fury (If you're a fighter) or Corsomyr (If you're a paladin) as quickly as possible. The Celestial Brand? scimitar from the watchers keep is an awesome weapon as well. Crom Faeyr is nice, but it belongs on a dwarf. The axe of the unyielding from the watchers keep is vastly awesome as well, especially once you upgrade it to vorpal status.

And then there's the REAL silver sword... but the point is, there are a ton of neat weapons and powerful items in the game without the mods. I don't really recommend adding a happy group mod either, you miss out on some top notch, horribly entertaining dialogue. The catfights and good vs. evil discussions your npc's have are a great part of the game.

I forgot it before, but I also solo'd the game as a halfling swashbuckler. Only class I know that can kill the demogorgon without lifting a single finger.

-Zen

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:07 pm

I read that the black..er, shadow dragon in umar hills was the 'easiest' in the game. He hands me my ass back, thanks me, then tells me to drive thru and hit ESC :( heh
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:19 pm

a most excellent game, far better than neverwinter nights ever was.

if you want to feel especially uber, play the game as a sorc. they are insanely powerful. i was able to finish both the original game and ToB (not the first time mind you) as a solo sorc.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Thilindel wrote:I read that the black..er, shadow dragon in umar hills was the 'easiest' in the game. He hands me my ass back, thanks me, then tells me to drive thru and hit ESC :( heh

My fondest memories of that game are trying to solo that dragon with a wizard, repeatedly getting beat down and brutalized.... then finally going in there and watching him role a 1 on a disintegrate save. I didn't get the scales from him, but at least it didn't destroy the quest items.

-Zen

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:16 pm

Hehe, that's cool. I just got him with chromatic orb. It petrified him and he only dropped a scroll and some coins :( what a frugal dragon!
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:25 am

Surprisingly I just finished part one, going to go and get the other versions and try them out soon. Fun times.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609

Return to “General Discussion Archive”