Lots of Bard Ideas

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Aldira
Sojourner

Lots of Bard Ideas

Postby Aldira » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Song of Regeneration: at higher levels, give it the chance to stop bleeding proc stuff from dragons, avernus, etc.

Song of Protection: 30% chance of completely avoiding dragon breath, 30% chance of partially avoiding dragon breath, add a couple points of Magic Resistance.

Song of Renewal: 15% chance to instamem a spell, only for those who are memming.

Song of Defensive Disruption: 15% chance for mob to take damage as if they were stunned. Not actual stun.

Song of Healing: 20% chance to cure blindness.

Song of Revelation: at high levels, 15% chance to provide 'see in all light' for a pulse, similar to undead sight.

Song of Travel: automatically allow players under this song to go through rooms that are !fly, akin to wraithform mobs that are flying, switch to levitate, then back again, based on the room's requirements.

Song of Sorcery: reduce failure rate.

Song of Miscast Magic: remove this song, or make it worthwhile somehow. I can't think of how to fix it.

Song of the Elements: reduce mana cost/failure rate.

Have 'spells' command show the same thing as 'mem' instead of having no response.

Add 'songs' command to list all songs the bard can sing and what instrument they require.

Raise Sneak and Hide skill caps to 75 or higher.

Remove 'listen' skill. Add something to take its place?

Raise number of uses of 'lore' to 5 per day. Alternatively, make it fail far more often, have some lag, and be unlimited.

Replace chain lightning spell with shadow burst, or a bard only sonic spell.

Add Bard to 'class/circle' list for 'help faerie fire'.

When a bard who is being accompanied stops singing voluntarily, the accompanying bard should stop automatically. If they stop singing involuntarily (stun, etc), the accompanying bard should try to pick up the song automatically.

Add mid-level instruments.

Add high-level instruments that aren't uber rares or epic quests.

Change the mystical harp of elven song to be one-handed.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Lots of Bard Ideas

Postby Thilindel » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Aldira wrote:Change the mystical harp of elven song to be one-handed.

Yeah, I'd like to see the harp changed to a 'miniature' version so it can be one handed. I like a lot of the ideas you have. I do think the sneak/hide to 70 is not too much to ask for either. (Just replying as I scroll :P ) 100% with song of travel idea. Good post!
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:07 pm

Lore: Or have lore use mana points, say 20. When you're low level, you don't have a lot of mana, so, you couldn't use it as often. When you're high level, you don't have as much to id.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Siw
Sojourner

Postby Siw » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:26 pm

Aldira wrote:Add mid-level instruments.

Add high-level instruments that aren't uber rares or epic quests.

Change the mystical harp of elven song to be one-handed.

Since there are at least 61 obtainable instruments already in the game by my count, I'd suggest that instead of adding any further instruments, we modify several of the currently existing ones that have useless stats.

Two-handed instruments would be cool if they offered really nice stats. At the moment they are worse than most 1-handers.

Also, rosewood mandolin and gold dwarven horn are still flagged as !ID.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:51 pm

the two handed elven harp is good because it's !summon.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:05 pm

but for the majority of bards that play as hitters, that 2 handed harp makes them virtually useless (unless zoning) but some mobs that word/then try to summon, the bard is useless until they find the worded mob.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:26 am

2H instruments: Look nice, can't stand them. Though technically, most should be 2 H. *grin* Having problems with the image of a bard standing there playing a lyre while wielding a glaive in the other hand. That's one reason in RP mode, Lil tries not to play instruments. Zoning is a different story.

Song of Travel: Here's a thought. When that big beautiful proc goes off... Allow it to completely vigorize the group to full moves, then just fix it so the proc happens a little less often? Don't get me wrong, I love the proc and the reason behind it, can we just give it an extra oomph?

Love the Song of Regen Idea. Love most of the ideas.

Song of Miscast Magic... I've used it while Zoning and it worked okay. Its just noone uses it. I like it. I've soloed a few mobs where it was VERY handy. Most recent, Trogladyte chieftain. Turkey keeps healing himself.

Accompany: Yes Aldira, I agree very much. Triggers just don't cut it because its difficult to control them precisely. Before anyone jumps me about paying attention in battle, for me the damn spam has been so bad I haven't even managed to catch the line that stuns me out of my song.
Yes, I have display filters, yes I'm working on things to make important stuff visible, but this isn't about that.

Anyways, just my 2p.

Lil
Ladorn
Sojourner

Postby Ladorn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:52 pm

I only have about 10 days ptime on my bard, so it's hard for me to comment on the ideas listed above. I am 50th level, but haven't zoned too much.

My idea for bards is to be able to specialize in something. Either a category of songs or in instruments(or just plain singing). Whatever is deemed not too powerful. Give specializations lower stutter/mana cost, faster verses or some special proc/bonus effect.(Not all. I think bards are pretty darn powerful as is)

Other ideas to tweak the class is delay a verse while casting a spell(Is that too hard to code?) It's unfair that we can cast a spell while still singing. I would love to have an additional 10th circle slot and take out chain lightning for something semi useful. I'm thinking a charm person like spell that essentially gives bards a small pet. Can't be wraithform or super buff.

Yeah that's it.

PS If possible tweak rangers first =)
Ladorn Silverlake
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:54 pm

make bards and battlechanters have different songs.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:19 pm

I'm all for that.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:40 pm

when I first read the thread ... I thought it said lots of "bad" ideas ...

then I saw the author .. *duck* :P

*wink Aldira*

fantastic ideas .. I play a bard too .. and I try to balance the songs in combat and during mems to make things smoother .. best I can .. these ideas would ROCK

-Tasira Silvershell

Edit: why can't we pick locks with a friggin instrument in one hand and picks in the other
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Song of revelation faerie fogged.
Elet
Sojourner

Postby Elet » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:26 pm

make skills notch more often pls. right now i try to do like 40-50 sneak/hide in 1 hour and notch like 1-5% all the time. and i got around 30++ ptime too :)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Just try to notice spellcast xxx notching. Unless practiced, it NEVER seems to notch. Not sure if it's a bug or what.
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:23 am

To answer "61 instruments in the game", here's my knowledge on instruments, from a player perspective:

Low-level: quality+stutter less than 5
Mid-level: quality+stutter greater than or equal to 5
High-level: quality+stutter greater than or equal to 15

I know of 6 instruments that are high-level. Only 1 of those instruments is /not/ an uber rare or epic quest (Amberyl).
I know of 0 instruments that are mid-level.
I know of dozens of instruments that are suckful low-level pieces of trash. The vast majority of instruments in the game are 0/0 no stats, sold in a bard guild or other store for a few silver.

(Note: mystical harp of elven song not counted in the above, because 2-handed instruments are currently akin to full-body or full-head armor, in that there's always something better you can do with those extra slots. And because song of protection doesn't do anything useful at higher levels, and song of revelation is redundant with the massive amounts of spell-effect eq filling the game)
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:27 am

Song of Miscast Magic: 33% chance the spell being cast stutters and fails, 33% chance the spell misfires on the wrong target (offensive on self, defensive on enemy), 33% chance the spell is a completely different spell than the one originally being cast. Clouds turns into create food :)
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed May 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Love the song of regeneration idea, love the idea of upgrading song of protection in some way (or just get rid of it), LOVE the song of travel idea. I pretty much think all of the other song ideas would make us overpowered, though. And song of miscast magic rocks, it's just a little unsettling wondering if it'll work or not LOL.

Upgrading Lore is a good idea, and replacing chain lightning with a bard sonic spell is a GREAT IDEA (since I mentioned a replacement last year of this nature LOL).

Increasing hide/sneak... I'm on the fence about that one, simply because I don't want to practice anymore.

That is all.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:12 pm

/bump
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:07 am

Silverast Rubicyn wrote:/bump

Why?
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Bards need more oompha oompha dippity doo! :)
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:57 pm

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13516

My original post re: a chain lightning/firestorm replacement for bards and battlechanters.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:42 am

song of mistcast magic should just make the room its being played in !cast imho.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:46 pm

amolol wrote:song of mistcast magic should just make the room its being played in !cast imho.

OMG the twinkage possibilities!
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:33 pm

Vigis wrote:
Silverast Rubicyn wrote:/bump

Why?

Because I'm a bard and I felt like it.

kthxbye~
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:12 pm