Civility

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Civility

Postby Lahgen » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:16 pm

It's one thing to tell a person that they need to vastly improve their playing skills (which I admit freely), it's another to show contempt for the person while doing so.

Sure, there may well be "oversensetive" people out there, but does it really cost you anything to just stick to facts, without namecalling or demeaning?
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:19 pm

Shouldn't this be in general? Sorry, but it's not really a game play issue, more of a player issue.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:38 pm

Consideration of the player is an inseperable aspect of the consideration of gameplay. Ultimately, the heart of a multi-player game is that other players are an integral component of the game.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Re: Civility

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:47 am

Lahgen wrote:It's one thing to tell a person that they need to vastly improve their playing skills (which I admit freely), it's another to show contempt for the person while doing so.

Sure, there may well be "oversensetive" people out there, but does it really cost you anything to just stick to facts, without namecalling or demeaning?

When you get this sensitive about a game, it's no longer a game anymore. Who cares about what some guy who lives in his mom's basement thinks about you? I say this is probably the case, because someone who has a real life sn't going to call someone else a name because they think they need to shape up their playing skills.

If someone feels the need to call me a name, I use the "ignore xxx" command. Maybe you should try it.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:01 am

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:When you get this sensitive about a game, it's no longer a game anymore.

At the same time, Nurpy, it's not wrong to start to care about things. It's not wrong to feel like you have a sense of community, or that somewhere you spend so much time feels like a home.

To be quite frank, if someone's stayed in my home long enough, I don't mind if they want to start taking out the trash.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:09 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:When you get this sensitive about a game, it's no longer a game anymore.

At the same time, Nurpy, it's not wrong to start to care about things. It's not wrong to feel like you have a sense of community, or that somewhere you spend so much time feels like a home.

To be quite frank, if someone's stayed in my home long enough, I don't mind if they want to start taking out the trash.

Just because you don't get along with someone elses personality doesn't mean they are trash that needs to be dealt with.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:13 am

I think people get upset about being told off because this IS more than a game. You take pride in your character, you take pride in your skills, you take pride in your accomplishments. Why else would you still play a game after reaching the highest attainable level?

My advice is to step back and consider it constructive criticism. Trust me, I got my ass chewed a lot when I first hit zoning levels. Back then though, the mud wasn't quite so snuggly soft. I admit I would get a little bit pissed off, I have seen people quit because of getting ragged on in a group, but it made me strive to be better. Eventually everybody gets better, everybody starts learning that they can be the person to prevent a spank or cause one.

Don't take it personally, take it as a way to get better. Now, go VOTE!
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:19 am

Vigis you still get your ass chewed, its just that now its done by a Rhemoraz
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:30 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Consideration of the player is an inseperable aspect of the consideration of gameplay. Ultimately, the heart of a multi-player game is that other players are an integral component of the game.

Well find a better way to integrate, ingrate.

Below is a log of an alt of teflor's conversational skills, showing his
consideration for players.

[RETURN for more, q to quit]
You have finished memorizing stone skin.

A huge burst of red-hot lava explodes in the distance!

Simimiom tells you 'go fuck yourself'

[RETURN for more, q to quit]q
< 670h/808H 538p/538P 160v/160V P: sit >
You have finished memorizing earthblood.

Klandan OOC: 'Women aren't equal to men. We're different in some pretty basic ways and to say otherwise is destructive to both sexes imo. :)'

< 671h/808H 538p/538P 160v/160V P: sit >

< 672h/808H 538p/538P 160v/160V P: sit > reply how bout not?
You stop meditating.
You tell Simimiom 'how bout not?'
He is away from his keyboard right now..

So... there you have it. great advice teflor. And for the record, this was
his response to me ooc'ing "i hope it was teflor" in response to vigis
saying "another dead ranger" or something to that effect.

WTG!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:00 am

Delmair, that was the best advice anyone could ever give you.

You insult me in public, and I berate you for it in private.
Yet you feel the need to continue this out in front of everyone.

If you feel you have the right to insult me, yet I do not have the right to respond, this, Delmair, is America, and you can kiss my ass.

The first step in drawing players together, Delmair, is a basic level of respect. I gave you that basic level of respect by refraining from responding to your insult in public.

WTG!
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:28 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Delmair, that was the best advice anyone could ever give you.

You insult me in public, and I berate you for it in private.
Yet you feel the need to continue this out in front of everyone.

If you feel you have the right to insult me, yet I do not have the right to respond, this, Delmair, is America, and you can kiss my ass.

The first step in drawing players together, Delmair, is a basic level of respect. I gave you that basic level of respect by refraining from responding to your insult in public.

WTG!

As my last posting on this topic, i would like to first commend you for not being able to take /sarcasm.

Secondly, i was merely commenting on how "civil" that was, and how it completely contrasted what you had written here just hours before. And as far as "respect" goes, respect isn't telling someone to fuck off, private or public. I hope you do not wish to continue speaking to me, as i don't intend to speak to you.

I hope you all have gained some insight on the teflor definition of "civility".

Del
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:31 am

Yeah, Del. Insulting other mudders over OOC at will with no provocation makes you such a great example and such a great guy!

Quite frankly, I handled the situation just about as well as could be handled considering the crap you handed me.

That's civility.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:06 am

Alright. I just picked up a brand new box of Orville Redenbacher's Sweet N Buttery popcorn from Wal-Mart. Perfect timing.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:56 am

That Cinnabon flavored stuff rules too, Ash. :D
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:26 pm

shrug sometimes i enjoy belittling and being condescending towards my fellow players. sometimes i mean it. sometimes i hurt other peoples feelings.... sometimes im trying to help most of the time im trying to be a bigger ahole. but its about what i enjoy right? that is why we play here because we enjoy some aspect of the game.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:54 am

What I really enjoy is being commended for "not being able to take /sarcasm" by someone who REALLY can't take sarcasm.

Seriously, you don't have to take every "go fuck yourself" personally, just like any other insult (like how you were insulting me).

Wanted to give it a day before I said anything over the top. Let me explain a few things to you, Delmair, about what I posted earlier that you seem to have such problems seeing how I had applied them:

teflor the ranger wrote:Consideration of the player is an inseperable aspect of the consideration of gameplay. Ultimately, the heart of a multi-player game is that other players are an integral component of the game.

(btw, Delmair, notice how it says "Consideration of the player" NOT "Consideration for the player")
teflor the ranger wrote:To be quite frank, if someone's stayed in my home long enough, I don't mind if they want to start taking out the trash.

Quite frankly, when I consider my gameplay, I have to consider you. You added to my gameplay that night:

1) Lameness
2) Insults
3) Nothing Intelligent

And it's time to take out the trash.

Now I have made the effort to try to be civil, but you had this incredibly dull insistance on dragging things out in public, continuing the insulting, demeaning behavior that has been a total drag for everyone.

Civility is not only the act of tolerance, but the intolerance of things uncivil.

My best advice to you, Del, is that you stop making fun of other people. You never know when someone is going to teach you a lesson.
Lilen
Sojourner

Postby Lilen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Hey ashiwi can i come over for some popcorn to?
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm

Oh Joy. Yet another thread I no longer need to read.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:33 pm

*sigh*

carry on
Last edited by Maedor on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 pm

My couch is small, but I'm sure we can squeeze in.

Oh, and Targsky... I've never seen that cinnabon stuff here. Does it have sugars in it? The Sweet N Buttery is 0 sugars.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:43 pm

Maedor wrote:Teflor-you are quite possibly the most abrasive and rude person I have ever had the displeasure to meet.

You give me the warm fuzzies too. Why don't you get in your can and roll yourself down a hill?

I'd have to say this is quite an ignorant statement. You've never 'met' me before in game or IRL. Keep it up.

Maedor wrote:Quit pissing people off and spoiling the game for everyone who comes into contact with you.

I enjoy this particular statement because if you would care to notice, even Delmair here admits that he was the first to insults. I'd have to say that people are spoiling my game and pissing me off. Quite frankly, Maedor, this is another ignorant statement. I'd like to see one game spoiled by people who still play.

Oh, and Maedor? *flip* You're one of the rudest and most abrasive people I've seen on the boards.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lilen
Sojourner

Postby Lilen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:45 pm

Hrm ill bring the refreshments?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm

Eh, Not worth it.
Last edited by Arilin Nydelahar on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Teflor and Maedor, working together in the production of fine entertainment.

Actually... I think they're kinda cute together.

Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:15 pm

Two questions:

First: What impression do you think this thread, and others of its ilk, gives potential new players? I mean I may be alone in this but when I first started playing this and NWN I read the forums on several other places extensively (this out of habit formed upon being flamed for asking questions answered in previous threads). I found that interspersed with the helpful content were the inevitable flames and ribbing. Often the flames were an end result of the ribbing, but always there seemed to be a few key names that were involved in these type threads. I learned that if the name came up, there would inevitably be noise and sometimes I formed opinions based on that noise that kept me from wanting to associate with these people, and often leaving the game before even beginning it. So, viewing it from that perspective, is this type thread good for them mud population in general? If not, can it be avoided? Please? I mean I came over from Homeland but this is my home now and it is almost embarrassing to think that "someone will come over and see the kids in the yard having a pissing contest against the barn wall".

Second question: Why can't we all just get along?!

NOTE: I have been here only a short time but I see alot of the personalities here in the forums. In time these people may or may not become more "real" to me as I join in groups, sit around the inn, etc. Until such time this is the only way I have to get to know you people and make this a real home in my heart, please try not to make it where I, and others like me, cannot get to know you because seeing your name in a post incites memories of previous, flaming posts and causes me to skip the entire thread? It would make the joy I find in escaping reality by mudding that much better, and I am sure there are others who would agree. I am not trying to say anyone is bad, we all get frustrated, angry, and even insulted.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:18 pm

Hmmm, I'm not much for watching BBS trends but here is one I personally find interesting as hell...

Teflor VS. Sarvis
Teflor VS. Ambar
Teflor VS. Arilin
Teflor VS. Ashiwi
Teflor VS. Kifle
Teflor VS. Delmair
Teflor VS. Maedor
Telfor VS. People I'm Sure I've Missed

Gee...what's the common factor here?
Meatshield
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:53 pm

Vahok wrote:Hmmm, I'm not much for watching BBS trends but here is one I personally find interesting as hell...

Teflor VS. Sarvis
Teflor VS. Ambar
Teflor VS. Arilin
Teflor VS. Ashiwi
Teflor VS. Kifle
Teflor VS. Delmair
Teflor VS. Maedor

Better watch it, it'll soon be Teflor VS. Vahok.(You're a dirty canadian, but that's no reason to fight!). And as everyone knows, we started it first. Teflor never starts a fight, nope.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:43 pm

Vahok wrote:Hmmm, I'm not much for watching BBS trends but here is one I personally find interesting as hell...

Teflor VS. Sarvis
Teflor VS. Ambar
Teflor VS. Arilin
Teflor VS. Ashiwi
Teflor VS. Kifle
Teflor VS. Delmair
Teflor VS. Maedor

V, the CLEAR common factor is the "VS." if there was no "VS." then there would be no issues. No shut up and go back to mounting mounties! *duck* *ruffle V* :p

Pril

P.S.

Pril VS. Vahok (Round 1 *ding*)
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Pril wrote:Pril VS. Vahok (Round 1 *ding*)

i got 10 bucks on vahok, pril will go down like a french prize fighter.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Ruxur wrote:french prize fighter.

Military intelligence?

Seriously though, Teflor and I actually get along. He's a really sweet guy irl, at least from what I got to see.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:13 pm

Ruxur wrote:go down like a french prize fighter.

I think that might have been this thread.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:16 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Eh, Not worth it.

Good to know Arilin has common sense. This is an example of civility.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:19 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:

No, it's an example of me saying anything posted on this thread just won't be worth a damn because people like to turn what could be a decent thread into utter shit. It was a sigh of futility.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:24 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

No, it's an example of me saying anything posted on this thread just won't be worth a damn because people like to turn what could be a decent thread into utter shit. It was a sigh of futility.

Those are common when being civil with people that otherwise aren't. Consider this example:

Today while I was returning from work, traveling on the interstate, a car pulled up next to mine and the driver started making obscene hand signals and screaming in frustration and I had no idea why.

Right then another car the same year/make/model/color as mine pulled up next to the first asshole and started screaming and making obscene hand gestures to him.

I pointed in the direction of the other car, and the first asshole turned and saw the second asshole. He waved me an apology and turned to continue to make obscene hand gestures at the second asshole.

So this asshole decided to change lanes and gets the hell out of the way.

That's futility.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:54 pm

For some reason I really like that story Teflor.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:17 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Those are common when being civil with people that otherwise aren't. Consider this example:

Today while I was returning from work, traveling on the interstate, a car pulled up next to mine and the driver started making obscene hand signals and screaming in frustration and I had no idea why.

Right then another car the same year/make/model/color as mine pulled up next to the first asshole and started screaming and making obscene hand gestures to him.

I pointed in the direction of the other car, and the first asshole turned and saw the second asshole. He waved me an apology and turned to continue to make obscene hand gestures at the second asshole.

So this asshole decided to change lanes and gets the hell out of the way.

That's futility.

And yet, somehow I still don't care.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:26 pm

I feel the love from my American brothers...makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Mind you, so does puking...:)

And a French prizefighter?!? Is there even such a thing? French surrender-fighter maybe..but the main fun there is watching the cornermen toss in white towels.

So bring it on punks! I got a case of Canadian beer and math problems for you ...two things you can't finish.

Ummm..go go hockey?

:)
Meatshield
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:33 pm

..on second thought...I think I'll let this one die.
Last edited by Maedor on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:33 pm

Vahok wrote:Ummm..go go hockey?

:)

oh god man i just got a visual of you in a cheer leader uniform you should put some kind of warning label on yer posts!

and give me all the math problems you want i'll do them.

and well candian beer.... nuff said :p

Pril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:31 pm

Teflor VS. Ambar

But I think Teflor is funny .. we chit chat on ICQ ..I like him! I dont member arguing with him :(
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:19 am

GRRRRRRRRR Ambar GRR!!!
We must deathmatch!!!1
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:05 am

Go Navy? (ROFL .. right .. like them losers ever win!!)

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”