VPN/RDC or FTPS

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

VPN/RDC or FTPS

Postby kwirl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:29 pm

Ok guys, I know you all miss me. I know you do, really. Anyhow,
how many of you geeks wanna show off your knowledge of networking?

I've got a computer in my office behind a router, running XP pro. I have a computer at home, running XP pro.

My goal is to connect them via RDC or VPN, or failing that, to set up a FTP server, again on either computer.

The obstacle I seem to be running into both cases is that I don't get a WAN IP on either computer, and I can't seem to get past the configuration in either instance without this option.

I've been pouring over remote access configuration documents, microsoft support pages detailing advanced networking tables, sourceforge forums...I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I mean, I can build you a VPN on a static-ip blindfolded now, which is cool, but my problem is still unresolved, unless there is a way to give my 192.168.*.* computer a virtual WAN that can be recognized on other systems.

I've tried DMZ routing, port forwarding and remote tools,practically any toy I've ever used, but I just can't get this going.

I'm willing to clone mac addies, if it won't affect other computers on either network ((I use 7 computers at work and 2 networked printers) and 3 computers at home)).

This is my shot in the dark, anyone see the light?
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:52 pm

After a bit more tinkering, I've realized my D-link router has a virtual server option, so I'm going to use my home computer as an FTP server for that.

I wonder if LINKSYS has a comparable option so I could use my work computer as the server (the ideal solution)
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:06 pm

stupid question, but are you port forwarding port 3398 to your computer
behind the router? That is the port for RDC. Provided you know the external
ip, and have the port forwarded, it should work fine. I do it from a remote location behind a router, and a wireless access point/router.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:15 pm

yeah i set up 3398 on both computers as port forwarding, it is just being a royal pain in my ass.

also, im curious - when rdc asks for login/password - where exactly do i define those if i use a default admin login and no passwordo n my system?
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:06 pm

should be under the same remote tab that you used to enable remote desktop on.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:32 pm

oh yeah :P

For those of you who don't exist in the information age, Voice over Internet Protocol, commercially known as VoIP, is now a very real service. Perhaps you have noticed that some of the banners and spam you are ignoring are for something you almost recognize, but not quite.

VoIP is basically a service that brings your telephone service to a high-speed internet connection. It converts the analog signal to a digital signal, transmits the data, then returns it to its original analog state. If this sounds confusing, don't worry: it is the exact same function as a modem, but now in reverse.

On sunday, I realized I needed a telephone. I decided to do some research, and you guys are gonna get to learn about my experience here.

I picked up a company called http://www.sunrocket.com. I read some reviews, and discovered that amazingly, this company had NOTHING BUT GOOD reviews. This is obviously an April Fool's joke, so I started looking at other sites. Everyone said the same thing=Sunrocket.

Well, I pulled out my bank card, filled out the little form, and went back to trying to configured a double-routered VPN tunnel behind a secure wireless connection.

3 days later, wednesday, I come home to see a box on my steps. Woo! (I knew it was there, sunrocket uses UPS and has a tracking tool, but i like feeling surprised).

I went upstairs and rolled up my sleeves, ready to fight a war. After all, this is yet another networking device about to enter my system, and as we all know, that means a packet war is about to erupt. I gritted my teeth, get out pens and paper to track the steps for troubleshooting, stared menacingly at the components, and started.

I plugged in the "gizmo" to my router. I plugged my "gizmo" into the computer. I plugged my "gizmo" into a power supply. haha, son of a bitch, I'm ready for this. I put the pre-charged battery into the free Uniden 2.4Ghz cordless phone that they gave me, free of charge, and plugged the cradle into a power supply. *spitting on my hands* I took the next step, I plugged the phone receiver into the gizmo.

Looking around, I realized that I am out of pieces. Fuck. They must have lost the install CD. No, I bet I have to use an http:// interface to login to the "gizmo" - that is it. Well, I might as well play with the phone. I picked up the phone...and there's a dial tone.

NOTHING EVER WORKS RIGHT WITH COMPUTERS.

But here, seemingly counter to all human logic, is a communications device that works with little hassle. I call bullshit, I dial a number. HAHA busy signal. It's obviously broke, I need to rebuild everything.

No wait, I see a card with the phone...it tells me to dial an activation number...ok, that makes sense. I'm about to spend 12 hours on hold with a canadian koala that has a grudge.

I dial the number...I get a message...I bite my teeth...the voice says "thank you, now you can use our service"

LIAR! YOU DIRTY BITCH!

I hang up, and dial a friend's number...

"hello?"

I now realize, that when a religion makes me feel this way about their teachings, the way I feel about this company, that I will have found true belief. I will convert so fast it will make Paris' Hilton dizzy.

This company has done NOTHING but impress me, so I am here to preach the gospel. If you want to try Voice over IP . . . take a look at this list of features and compare it to your current phone service.

Unlimited Calling: United States and Canada
Free international minutes (a monthly quota, three cents a minutes after that - it works out to a hundred minutes)
A free second phone number
Free service activation
A "gizmo" - it really is called that, its a converter
Free shipping
No taxes (included in monthly charges)
Free caller ID, Voice mail, call waiting, call forwarding
You can check your call history from a web page, you can listen to your voice mail from a web page, you can set up your account over a web page.

Guess how much this costs?

199$ a year. like 17 dollars a month.

For all that.
Do I sound like a sales person? Fuck it, I love these people, I'm gonna sound like MORE of a sales person.

If you give them my phone number,
302 294 8504, they give you 2 FREE uniden cordless phones, 2.4 gigahertz. These phones are a hundred dollars, and you get them free using my phone number as a promotion code.

Also, I get points for referring you, which I can save up and hire exotic asian models to come provide sexual favors for ALL of you at my next party.

302 294 8504

Easy to use, easy to install, 31 day risk-free money back offer, and ridiculous quality.

I'm a mother fucking infomercial, and I love it. Biatch.
Last edited by kwirl on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
digov
Sojourner

Postby digov » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:09 pm

On the linksys its actually under applications and gaming

The screen will ask you for

Service Name
Start Port
End Port
Protocol
Destination IP (last octet)
Check box for enable

So lets say you wanted to run a webserver on your internal network

Service Name: HTTP
Start Port: 80
End Port: 80
Protocol: tcp
Destination IP: The natted address of your internal host (i.e. 192.168.1.100) Though you'll only need to enter the last octet since linksys is smart enough to figure out your internal network addressing
Check Box for enable: Checked

Save your settings and try to have someone hit it.

You can do this for any service, just have to know the ports.

Also if you're using VPN (most likely pptp protocol) make sure that ipsec and pptp passthrough are enabled, I can't remember which tab its under at the moment though, but you'll see it.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:15 am

i suggest you take a look at ultra vnc. not only does it act as a p2p transfer system between only the computers you tell it to but it also give you the ability to use say your home computer from your work computer vice versa. for exa. you could lok on to vnc then mud from your house at your work computer and it wouldnt show in the logs. it would only show that you were accessing your home IP. this also works great to mess with co workers as if they have it set up yoyu can hijack their computer and do cool things like open programs type while they are typing, close programs and even go so far as to shut their computor down. the interface is very user friendly. and to interact with another computer is just like opening that compuors desktop in a window and using it like a normal computor. it howerver does not allow you to use any open GL drivers so no advanced gaming.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:24 am

very nice, thank you! i have no plans on using this for gaming, my needs for rdc or vpn are basically caused by wanting to do database administration and configuration projects from home and vice versa

your tool looks like the solution, thanks!
Ladorn
Sojourner

Postby Ladorn » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:48 pm

My friend actually works for SunRocket. It's based out of McLean, VA.
Ladorn Silverlake
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:56 pm

whats your take on it? nothing but good experiences with me so far
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:47 pm

well as soon as they get service in good ole bama, im on board.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:21 am

actually, its available anywhere in the world - all you need is a high-speed connection

check it out, use my referral number, too! get free phones! :P
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:03 am

heh my tool is the right one for kwirl. heh

ok now that that is out of my system. im glad i could help, like i said its very user friendly. there is about a .5 second lag on a lan connection so its actually not to bad speed wise turn the background off on the comp your accessing for a little bit better interaction
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:00 am

right now i set up an ftp server with port forwarding to take care of my short term needs, im gonna continue playing with the vnc service however!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”