Total gayness.

Post all your MUD stories and capture logs here.
Thracx V'staluz
Sojourner

Total gayness.

Postby Thracx V'staluz » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 pm

A fire elemental blazes in from the north.

< 616h/616H 46v/100V >
< P: std >
An elite militia guard looks around, observing everything for trouble.
A fire elemental barely burns you.

< 604h/616H 46v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: few scratches E: fire EC: excellent P: std >
An elite militia guard slashes you extremely hard.
OUCH! That really did HURT!

< 527h/616H 46v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: small wounds E: fire EC: excellent P: std >
A guard of the watch sends you sprawling.
st

< 525h/616H 47v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: small wounds E: fire EC: excellent P: sit > cast 'thunder lance'

A guard of the watch slashes you very hard.
You miss A fire elemental with your hit.
A fire elemental misses you with its burn.
A fire elemental barely burns you.

< 327h/616H 47v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: few wounds E: fire EC: excellent P: sit > abort
flee

The town crier says 'It's a long way to the Moonshaes!'
The town crier says 'Only way to go is by ship, and even that takes a while.'

< 328h/616H 48v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: few wounds E: fire EC: excellent P: sit >
You stagger from a fearsome slash from a guard of the watch!
A mighty slash from a guard of the watch makes you contemplate a new career!
You gasp in pain from an elite militia guard's awesome slash!
An elite militia guard half kills you with his mighty slash!
YIKES! Another hit like that, and you've had it!!
You miss A fire elemental with your hit.
A fire elemental misses you with its burn.
A fire elemental burns you hard.

< 38h/616H 48v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: awful E: fire EC: excellent P: sit > You clamber to your feet.

< 38h/616H 49v/100V >
< T: Thracx TC: awful E: fire EC: excellent P: std > Your vision spins into darkness as your head falls towards the ground.
With a final blow, you feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
You lose a level!
Your vitality drains away.
gsay My Vitality is gone...
You forget 'thunder lance'.

*** Welcome to Toril ***

0) Leave Toril for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Toril.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

The guard assisted the elemental? what is up with that? I think that should be changed a bit.
"Only the educated are free." Epictetes
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:59 pm

Kind of looked like part of the "Keep litter in its place OR ELSE" campaign.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:10 pm

What's stupid is guards should assist citizens, not some extraplanar freak going amok
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:16 pm

Odd he didn't say the whole 'to battle one of us is to battle us all' deal.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:37 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Kind of looked like part of the "Keep litter in its place OR ELSE" campaign.

I have to admit that I'm greatly irritated by this response and have argued with myself as to a variety of replies, some nice, and some more fiery.

I'll attempt to use logic here, I guess. There are posts about wanting to gain and retain new players, and there are comments about people showing an elitist mentality and how new people reading this message board would not look favorably upon the people that generally chatter on it.

In this case, a player has made some sort of mistake in losing control of their elemental, which shows they are new to being an elementalist at least. Then they express confusion about why a guard, who should rightly be protecting their lives, instead sides with the beast from another dimension, which shows they're probably a new player in general.

Then we get sort of a nelson laugh and "ha ha you died" response, in essence. Yes, Ashiwi has been around a while and probably doesn't view her response as especially insulting, but for a new, confused, and dead player, anything other than a helpful reaction could easily be taken in a hurtful manner.

Now, after all that tirade, I don't personally know how the original poster feels about the matter, but at least I personally found some amount of potential offense in the response. If I'm off my rocker here, then please let me know.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Hon, if you found offense in my response, more power to you. Everybody's entitled to read whatever they want into whatever they're reading, however they want. That in no way implies that I shall change my behavior for you, nor for anybody else, for that matter. Some of us see things humorously, some of us don't, and that doesn't have a ding-dang ding-dang ding-danged thing to do with any kind of "elitism."

Do feel free to continue scolding me and getting offended, I'll just keep laughing.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:48 pm

As one final point of explanation, you have to remember your audience (and indeed, I most likely need to as well).

Most experienced players know that elementals and mounts are left around to such a degree that they can garner a feeling of so much detrius. However, you seem to have replied to an inexperienced player, who might have interpreted your comment to mean that either they are the trash being taken out, or at least you are making fun of a pet which they would expect to find useful. I don't know how they reacted, if at all, but that was my own reaction.

You may commence with your joviality.
Waelos
Sojourner

WoW

Postby Waelos » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:47 am

Ashiwi-

With that kind of attitude/response, it makes ME not want to play here. Not that I care if you care or not, and not that you care what I think (you've made it abundantly clear that you don't give a crap about anyone but yourself!), but I really thought you were nicer than that.

So you keep on laughing at the new guy dying and defending your "right to say what you want" if it makes you a happier person =)

Thracx -
Selerial explanied in a round about way, but if you have any kind of pet or follower that comes into town and attacks you, the guards will most likely assist it, and not you. The same is true for just about any mob. "Back in the day" players liked to lure mobs that tracked into towns to have the guards help kill them (a creative way of cheating, to be sure!). The Immortals of the mud responded in changing the code/behaviour of the guards so that they attacked the players and not the monsters.

So, in short, do not fight in any room with a guard because the chances are he'll attack you if you're in combat. Not always true, but a good rule to stick by =)

Hope this helps!

The Lost
XxillixX
Sojourner

Postby XxillixX » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:54 am

Well put Lost.

I've posted before about new players coming to view our mud and checking the BBS first. Its the front page and biggest advertisement for the game. it often looks like a bunch of old tired and cranky farts bitching to outsiders looking in on us. Please take that with a grain of salt. Its *just* a preception and we as long term players have very different preceptions from those looking in.

The real question is: do we give up out comfort level on the BBS and mud to promote new blood to ensure the muds survival, or just languish in our old habits and let it die?

X
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:29 am

As I've already stated, it's your prerogative to read into it however you like. There is nothing I can do when somebody insists on reading light-hearted humor as personal mockery. Maybe I'm the only one here, but I'd much rather play in a game where the players are capable of laughing and cutting up with each other, than where they have to worry about whether or not somebody's going to assume that just because you try to find humor in a situation that you must obviously be laughing at them.

::shrug::

How any individual deals with somebody else's sense of humor isn't something I can alter. I try to maintain a good attitude and I attempt to see humor in most things, and if you take offense at that, well I'm sorry, but I'm still not going to change. I might alter the way I deal with you, personally, because I think everybody deserves happiness, and I really prefer to not be the source of somebody else's discontent without good reason. If that's something you dislike me for, or think I'm a less than nice person because of, that's your choice to make.

I might be wrong, but I still think this game would look a lot more appealing to potential players if the existing players were more comfortable with each other, instead of continually at odds. You can take offense if you choose to, but that's your choice.

Peace, love and orange doughnuts... and if you have a problem with orange doughnuts, that's more for me.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:33 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Peace, love and orange doughnuts... and if you have a problem with orange doughnuts, that's more for me.

Haha, you read my mind, my first thought when I read "Peace, love and orange doughnuts" was "Ewww, orange doughnuts."

You know me so well, Ashiwi. *flutter*
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:19 pm

Are orange donuts low in carbs? I'm on a diet :(

-Talsor/Ed
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:06 pm

XxillixX wrote:Well put Lost.

I've posted before about new players coming to view our mud and checking the BBS first. Its the front page and biggest advertisement for the game. it often looks like a bunch of old tired and cranky farts bitching to outsiders looking in on us. Please take that with a grain of salt. Its *just* a preception and we as long term players have very different preceptions from those looking in.

The real question is: do we give up out comfort level on the BBS and mud to promote new blood to ensure the muds survival, or just languish in our old habits and let it die?

X

Get off my lawn, whipper snapper!

*Starts thrusting his cane at you while yelling*
Thracx V'staluz
Sojourner

Postby Thracx V'staluz » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:27 pm

I'm not a noob here and Ashiwi knows that, she and I are friends and if she hadn't known me I doubt she would have posted a reply like that to a new player....

Anyway, I now understand why guards assist elementals and not players....thanks for the explanation.
"Only the educated are free." Epictetes

Return to “Logs”