Musical Talent?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Valke
Sojourner

Musical Talent?

Postby Valke » Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:16 am

What you do for a living sparked this one. Ive noticed several people have a musical talent! Well, do you? What do, you play? Im curious!! I play a little piano, and drums! Currently in a band with a few others from this mud!
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:25 am

I play bass guitar and a bit of just normal guitar. Can play the drums a bit too, and a little on the synthesizer, used to be in a techno band with my best friend, and a crappy garage band. Crappy, but fun!

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:55 am

accoustic guitar and sax (bari and alto mostly)
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:18 am

I've played:
piano for 10 years (8 years of lessons)
trumpet 3 years (3 years of lessons)
guitar 3 monthes (teaching myself now)

Disco
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:11 pm

I played the violin for 9 years. My highlight was playing in Carnigie Hall while in District Orchestra in high school. Spring of '96. We had a symphony orchestra of over 100 players in my school district, heh. I still pick it up from time to time.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:02 pm

I play that little thing in the dashboard of the car that you stick those little round, shiny thingies in... Image
But seriously... Well, I shouldn't even be posting, I'm tone-deaf, so I have a hard time playing instruments, and I can't read sheet music...
I used to be pretty good with a keyboard tho, as long as I had the letters in front of me instead of all those little notes and half-notes Image
And somehow, strangely, I taught myself how to play that guitar solo from One by Metallica on the keyboard... I wish I could still play it, but that was in 7th grade Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:09 pm

Violin.. started playing back in 2nd grade, and went through highschool with it. Had a cool chamber orchestra.

Haven't played much since college tho.
Agela
Sojourner

Postby Agela » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:42 pm

I play guitar .. have for many years
Acoustic/Electric
I also fiddle with the keyboard
I teach guitar to kids on the side
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:44 pm

I have played guitar for 7 years (taught myself)
I played violin for 1 year in 4th grade Image
I have played piano for 5 years (taught myself)
And I can play a bit of drums...

Oh! And I can play a mean kazoo!!

Kifle "It slipped I swear!" Butteryfingers

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 01-30-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:53 pm

Sing- bands in college...
Guitar- bands in high school and college
Trumpet- 5th grade on
French Horn- picked up after learning trumpet
Susaphone- see above
Juice Harp- dad was from down south, the old south
Jug- see above
Was in a music video playing drums on MTV's Basement tapes in 1987. (The Itching Orange Parrot Doctors, and the Mercy Riders of Death) Song- I've Got This Thing for Lighting Nuns on Fire

Just sing to my gf now.

Toplack ( I don't yodel) Frostbear
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:53 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Sing- bands in college...
Guitar- bands in high school and college
Trumpet- 5th grade on
French Horn- picked up after learning trumpet
Susaphone- see above
Juice Harp- dad was from down south, the old south
Jug- see above
Was in a music video playing drums on MTV's Basement tapes in 1987. (The Itching Orange Parrot Doctors, and the Mercy Riders of Death) Song- I've Got This Thing for Lighting Nuns on Fire

Just sing to my gf now.

Toplack ( I don't yodel) Frostbear</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, considering how "juice" and "old south" appear in the same sentence, but what exactly IS a juice harp?

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:03 am

I play bass, harmonica, and some guitar. Had a band in college and we did some original stuff. Wish I could figure out how to convert .wav to .mp3 so I could post some of our songs. I'm a real moron when it comes to computer stuff.

Corth
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:06 am

None!

I have the talent of making anything capable of making beautiful music produce an uneartly hideous wail. Which was good when i was in a punk band but not for much else.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I play bass, harmonica, and some guitar. Had a band in college and we did some original stuff. Wish I could figure out how to convert .wav to .mp3 so I could post some of our songs. I'm a real moron when it comes to computer stuff.

Corth</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.shareware.com - Gods' gift to people too damn lazy to find the stuff on their own Image

------------------
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:27 am

Xebes has played euphonium for 7 years and counting :-)

Really been itching to learn either piano or guitar, but mudding takes up wayyyyyy too much time for that- you guys know how it is.

-xeb
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:02 am

Started taking piano lessons at age 5. I was absolutely abominable at it, and hated every minute, however it taught me the valuable skills of theory and reading music, and acted as a good introductory medium.
Began playing tuba in Grade 6, loved it almost immediately, and played it in all the school bands, and also in a youth symphony for a while.
Played drums for an extremely brief time, and currently play bass guitar in a jazz big band.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:10 am

No musical talent whatsoever. Played keyboard for about six years, tried to learn the bagpipes. The bagpipes are a sure way to get the chicks. Yeah.

- Grungar "PHER wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee WHIRRRRRRRRRRRR" Forgefire
Cardolan
Sojourner

Postby Cardolan » Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
sure way to get the chicks. Yeah.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...to get them to run away screaming and holding their bleeding ears? Image

--
Cardy
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:54 pm

Taegost:

Juice Harp is a small metal instrument that looks somewhat like a pinched in W with the two outer bits coming in so they nearly meet the middle one, you put that bit between your teeth, and "strum" the middle bit which is of flexible metal. My oscilating the opening of your mouth, you can change the pitch. Makes a twanging type noise. I haven't even seen one in years, but my grandfather taught me how to play one when I was about 6, and it was pretty cool for a 6 year old...

The Jug didn't come till I was about 11 and had my first "hit" of his moonshine (yes he actually had a small still in his garage).

Hope that clarifies things a bit, and doesn't make me look any odder than The Itching Orange Parrot Doctors, and the Mercy Riders of Death.

Toplack
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Taegost:

Juice Harp is a small metal instrument that looks somewhat like a pinched in W with the two outer bits coming in so they nearly meet the middle one, you put that bit between your teeth, and "strum" the middle bit which is of flexible metal. My oscilating the opening of your mouth, you can change the pitch. Makes a twanging type noise. I haven't even seen one in years, but my grandfather taught me how to play one when I was about 6, and it was pretty cool for a 6 year old...

The Jug didn't come till I was about 11 and had my first "hit" of his moonshine (yes he actually had a small still in his garage).

Hope that clarifies things a bit, and doesn't make me look any odder than The Itching Orange Parrot Doctors, and the Mercy Riders of Death.

Toplack</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, I always wondered what that was called! Hehehe, it's the same instrument that Snoopy plays, from Peanuts, right? Image

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:05 am

Lol, posted this in the wrong thread, but hey, I'll put it here again. Bagpipes get the chicks if you wear the kilt too. Of course, you have to wear it the right way. Women love to check your regiment when you're wearing a kilt. Great way to meet women.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:24 am

Ayup Taegost that's what Snoopy played, forgot about that...

Toplack
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:09 am

Rylan plays the violin?

It all makes sense now..

Dornax
Jurdex
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:05 am

34 years old and just started taking piano lessons

i love it!!! i think all the mudding makes it easier to learn the different key strokes on the piano .. (my typing speed tripled when i was playing on a pkill mud)

my greatest frustration is watching my piano teacher fly over some complicated piece (YES twinkle twinkle little star IS complicated!!!)

-Jenny
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:00 pm

I have played drums for 16 years Image Play some guitar, not much, just some tho....

Most recently I joined a band called Patrick which was kinda ironic since that is my name, I offered to take up the stage name johnny fabulous and wear rebok pumps and try and look like johnny from misfits of science (now that was a fine show)...

Someone stole half my drum pedal recently so that neither of us can use it..foos!
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:25 pm

I'm a Drummer...

www.members.tripod.com/~Jasix/pix/drums.htm

Got my first kit about age 9, first real kit I bought at age 16. Played in garage bands with mates for years, the odd party and such, nothing serious (after a bottle of Jack Daniels I didn't take anything serious). My current kit that rarely gets played consists of a 5 piece Pearl MMX Presige Custom, Black piano lacque finish on 100% maple shells (Was top of the line back then). Pearl brass free-floating snare (I buckled the bastard *scream*) Matched with Zildjian A cymbols and hats. I used to play 2 kits joined as one with some wierd tunning and double kick drums but had a hard time moving in my bedroom. I hit hard and never had any real lessons, small sticks and widdly diddly stuff aint my bag.

When I get angry and not online to take my frustrations out on someone mudside :P I beat the living shit out of my drums to Metallica, Iron maiden, ACDC, KISS and what ever else from the late 80's early 90s metal era I can stick in my CD player. Usually finishing my agression session with Guns & Roses "You could be mine" or Maiden's "Run to the hills"

Jasix "Who broke my last stick!" Prowlingwolf

[This message has been edited by Jasix Prowlingwolf (edited 02-06-2002).]
Dormithel
Sojourner

Postby Dormithel » Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:31 pm

Been playing Bass for about 7 years....and yes i am one of the founding members of the rythemless nation. Makes for a great combonation Image

Dorm

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”