Crimson Sigil?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Nokie
Sojourner

Crimson Sigil?

Postby Nokie » Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:48 pm

I saw this press release:

<I>"EVERQUEST" VETERANS BRAD MCQUAID AND JEFF BUTLER FORM SIGIL GAMES ONLINE, INC.

SAN DIEGO, CA -- January 22, 2002 -- Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler, formerly of Sony Online Entertainment and key figures in the development of the popular "EverQuest" series, today announced the formation of Sigil Games Online, Inc. The new company is dedicated to the production of massively multiplayer online role-playing games.

Sigil's official website is set to launch this spring, and the company will begin adding designers, artists, and programmers to its staff later this year.

McQuaid and Butler are both creators of the massively multiplayer runaway hit "EverQuest," developed by Verant Interactive. The game shattered all multiplayer game records after its release in 1999, exceeding all industry expectations and inspiring three top-selling expansion packs.

McQuaid is President and CEO of Sigil, and Butler has assumed the role of Vice President.</I>

As some of you may know, Brad McQuaid is the former ranger from Toril named Aradune. I wonder if the choice of the new company name was inspired by his old guild name? If so, thats pretty cool!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:29 pm

Seems likely. It's a much cooler name than Verant, that's for sure!

Was Jeff Butler a player here as well?

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:34 pm

I'm not totally down with Verant/EQ stuff, but I think he may be a 'suit' that does all the biz stuff, but don't hold me to that. Hopefully someone else reading with more info can clarify.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
Was Jeff Butler a player here as well?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:58 pm

I don't remeber a Jeff Butler Image

Maybe Rich can confirm, but I find it highly unlikely he ever played Toril.

Kevin
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:31 pm

Jeff has logged into Sojourn2/3 I've heard but no, I don't beleive he was big on playing. I only have best wishes for these two and hope they are able to build what they found lacking at Sony Online Entertainment.

Sobu
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:23 pm

Hehehhe. He is probably the only mudder from Toril who profitted from his life online. I think its great, I hope he is successfull.

Trogar
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:31 pm

Yeah I'd bet a _lot_ that Sigil is a reference to Crimson Sigil, both on Toril and EQ. EQ's CS disbanded some time ago and now many of its members are in the Fires of Heaven or allied guilds.

As for Jeff Butler, I was once told that Toril's Graelov was a Verant original. Could it be that Jeff Butler = Graelov/Miloni?
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:55 am

Jeff Butler is not Graelov/Miloni.. his first name is Ryan I don't remember his last name but he left EQ before Brad did and went to write for Star Wars and moved to Texas.. He had moved up the state a bit from southern california to was it LA that Verant was based out of .. well anyhow that's not the point Jeff was not a CS member nor was he a Sojourn original, 2, or 3 player that I'm aware of in any way..

------------------
Azaz a.k.a.
Elscint Hairytoes
(The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke Olson
Aradune
Sojourner

Postby Aradune » Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:00 pm

Someone alerted me to this thread and wow! It's great to see so many names I recognize; so many friends and fellow Toril players!

The name of our company is indeed partially influenced by Crimson Sigil... consider it in homage and honor to the good times we all and, and the experiences we learned from and enjoyed.

Jeff Butler was not a member of CS, nor a Toril player, but at least one CS member in addition to me, and hopefully more in the future, are part of the new company.

-Aradune Mithara ~
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:09 am

Ah, that's cool. For some reason that name seemed familiar...must have been thinking of someone else.

Anyhow, best of luck in your new endeavour Aradune. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:35 pm

I was wondering if that particular Sigil brother was part of the new operation Image. Glad to hear he is. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

Avestan

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”